ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,093

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#321 » by whatisacenter » Tue May 7, 2024 7:30 pm

Imagine if the front office had made some tough choices last offseason and the team was already a year into a new direction….last season was brutal.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#322 » by TB » Tue May 7, 2024 8:31 pm

If we can't land a legit #2 in a trade, I could get behind a rebuild that goes something like:

- let CP3 and Klay walk
- Waive Looney (3m still on the books)
- Trade Wiggins for cap space (lets go with Sixers for the #16 and maybe we also send a few 2nds or pick swap). This seems doable because he could be a great fit next to Maxey/Embiid
- Trade Dray to Miami for Rozier, Jovic. Not sure his fit with Bam, but can't imagine Heat wouldn't want to give it a shot with a team full of tough winners.
- now being under the cap, about 24m to spend plus MLE... lets say we grab Toppin, Melton, Goga. Not enough money for PG type stars, but we could get a few rotation building blocks to maybe even attract a superstar via trade deadline or free agency.
- draft McCain and Bridges

Steph / Rozier / McCain
Podz / Melton / GP2 / Q
Kuminga / Moody / Bridges
Toppin / Jovic / Santos
Trayce / Goga / Garuba

Like this year, this team is lacking top-end talent... but at least its younger, bigger, more athletic, still has some shooters... and flexible to build from moving forward. I could almost even get irrationally optimistic that they could fight for a playoff spot with players taking a leap this offseason.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,094

Post#323 » by CDM_Stats » Tue May 7, 2024 8:38 pm

Wolves 2 years ago, no Gobert: 13th defensively
Wolves last year, w/Gobert: 10th defensively
Wolves this year: 1st defensively

There were many facets to this improvement, but I've been saying for a long time - Gobert is not the catalyst. This isn't 15 years ago when a defensive anchor does that kind of thing. What they did is revamp their *perimeter* defense, as well as continue to improve there. Going from DLo/Rivers/Nowell/Prince to Conley/NAW/Monte is a massive perimeter upgrade. In addition to continued improvement from Edwards and McDaniels

15+ years ago, good interior defense helped bad perimeter defenders look good. Now we're starting to see the opposite, where good perimeter defense and the ability to switch is what makes defenses elite. I wonder where they got that idea!

Since most Cs, especially in the playoffs, aren't going to make you pay offensively (and the ones that do can be doubled like they've been doing to Jokic).. having one that's fairly anchored to the key is only really necessary if you have a lot of poor perimeter defenders to account for. And they don't anymore. So despite the media going nuts over the Gobert trade, I'd posit that the Wolves would be in a better spot, right now, if they never made it, and instead had Kessler, Vanderbilt, their 23 1st (Keyontae George - or maybe if they drafted well, they could have had Jaquez Jr or Podz), their 25 1st, their 26 1st (swap but it wont be swapped), their 27 1st, and their 29 1st
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#324 » by vvoland » Tue May 7, 2024 8:52 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:Wolves 2 years ago, no Gobert: 13th defensively

There were many facets to this improvement, but I've been saying for a long time - Gobert is not the catalyst. This isn't 15 years ago when a defensive anchor does that kind of thing. What they did is revamp their *perimeter* defense, as well as continue to improve there. Going from DLo/Rivers/Nowell/Prince to Conley/NAW/Monte is a massive perimeter upgrade. In addition to continued improvement from Edwards and McDaniels

15+ years ago, good interior defense helped bad perimeter defenders look good. Now we're starting to see the opposite, where good perimeter defense and the ability to switch is what makes defenses elite. I wonder where they got that idea!

Since most Cs, especially in the playoffs, aren't going to make you pay offensively (and the ones that do can be doubled like they've been doing to Jokic).. having one that's fairly anchored to the key is only really necessary if you have a lot of poor perimeter defenders to account for. And they don't anymore. So despite the media going nuts over the Gobert trade, I'd posit that the Wolves would be in a better spot, right now, if they never made it, and instead had Kessler, Vanderbilt, their 23 1st (Keyontae George - or maybe if they drafted well, they could have had Jaquez Jr or Podz), their 25 1st, their 26 1st (swap but it wont be swapped), their 27 1st, and their 29 1st

Couldn't agree more except one thing : let's not completely dismiss the impact Rudy had. He was, by all accounts, pretty banged up last season. I'm not sure his presence didn't help Ant take a step up both on defense and from a leadership perspective. Just having a vet who's serious about winning on his team may have done the trick. That said, his time on team USA, losing the first 3 seasons, and normal maturing that takes place between 19 and 22 years old probably did more than Rudy but I don't think Rudy gets 0 credit.

All that said, I agree with you, especially with that last part about them being better off with Kessler, vando, and like 4 first round picks and without the salary crunch they're about to experience, especially if Ant makes an all-nba team. I wonder if Connelly agrees with you and i (and really, he should) and moves off Rudy. I assume it'll come down to Rudy or Towns as they other players that make money are younger and cheaper (McD, Naz, NAW, etc).
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,160

Post#325 » by TB » Tue May 7, 2024 8:56 pm

And while I did just post a rebuild plan, the main Plan A should follow what you are saying here. The problem is all the rumors instantly are saying Wiggins is available and Klay needs to be re-signed :banghead:

Letting Klay walk, then trading CP3 and every pick possible for a Mikal Bridges type would be the way to try and get Steph a team that can compete. Swarm teams with Dray, Bridges, Wiggins, GP2, Podz, Moody, Kuminga (if not traded) etc... with Steph running and gunning on the other end. A combo of guys like Trayce, Loon, Goga, Garuba (not saying we need all of them) would be enough at the center spot.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#326 » by CDM_Stats » Tue May 7, 2024 9:37 pm

vvoland wrote:Couldn't agree more except one thing : let's not completely dismiss the impact Rudy had. He was, by all accounts, pretty banged up last season. I'm not sure his presence didn't help Ant take a step up both on defense and from a leadership perspective. Just having a vet who's serious about winning on his team may have done the trick. That said, his time on team USA, losing the first 3 seasons, and normal maturing that takes place between 19 and 22 years old probably did more than Rudy but I don't think Rudy gets 0 credit.

Hard to measure those intangibles, but I think my issue is Rudy getting the credit because he is an elite defender, but thats not why the Wolves are thriving defensively. They were a slightly above average team before and after Rudy, but once they swapped DLo/Rivers and that motley crew for Conley/Morris/NAW either being added or getting more minutes.. that spiked a serious change

Gobert's still an excellent defender, but he's basically a hat on a hat at this point. I think KAT at C benefits them more, long-term, than Gobert, because its presumably easier to find a 2-way PF than a 2-way C. Or if they want to continue the twin towers thing, Kessler/Vando would have done just fine and the Wolves would still have a full war chest for when Conley starts falling off the cliff (and peripherals indicate that is coming hard, soon)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#327 » by CDM_Stats » Tue May 7, 2024 9:40 pm

TB wrote:

And while I did just post a rebuild plan, the main Plan A should follow what you are saying here. The problem is all the rumors instantly are saying Wiggins is available and Klay needs to be re-signed :banghead:

Letting Klay walk, then trading CP3 and every pick possible for a Mikal Bridges type would be the way to try and get Steph a team that can compete. Swarm teams with Dray, Bridges, Wiggins, GP2, Podz, Moody, Kuminga (if not traded) etc... with Steph running and gunning on the other end. A combo of guys like Trayce, Loon, Goga, Garuba (not saying we need all of them) would be enough at the center spot.

It would if we're trying to still compete.. I dont know how much juice the big guys have left. Dray is still churning out his best seasons because he's always gotten by on superior IQ. Curry's having a tougher time adjusting to these lengthy, quick forwards they can stick on him. But the only way we even have a chance is with a credible #2 type. And if we're keeping Kuminga, we also need a shooter. And if we're keeping Wiggins, we also need a handler (and maybe a shooter in case Winter Wiggins returns). Bridges and DJM are the most viable options I can see.. KD has some merit but man do I not trust his legs

But as you can tell, I've kinda lost faith in the FO. I dont think they have the guts to pull off these kinds of moves because they probably wouldnt be well received by the folks who actually pour money into the franchise buying skyboxes and ****
vvoland
Senior

Post#328 » by vvoland » Tue May 7, 2024 9:49 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:It would if we're trying to still compete.. I dont know how much juice the big guys have left. Dray is still churning out his best seasons because he's always gotten by on superior IQ. Curry's having a tougher time adjusting to these lengthy, quick forwards they can stick on him. But the only way we even have a chance is with a credible #2 type. And if we're keeping Kuminga, we also need a shooter. And if we're keeping Wiggins, we also need a handler (and maybe a shooter in case Winter Wiggins returns). Bridges and DJM are the most viable options I can see.. KD has some merit but man do I not trust his legs

But as you can tell, I've kinda lost faith in the FO. I dont think they have the guts to pull off these kinds of moves because they probably wouldnt be well received by the folks who actually pour money into the franchise buying skyboxes and ****

You think the the ownership doesn't want to see bridges or DJM on the squad? Not sure but I'll defer on that one. Would love to see Bridges here, that would be an amazing move. I know you don't have much faith in JK learning to shoot but that's the reason I wouldn't trade him this summer. I'd give him to the deadline to show it one way or the other. If he can shoot, he may be the #2 we're looking for or, if it's not enough, we can trade him for a better player than we can now. If he isn't shooting better by late Jan, I doubt his value is lower than what it is today. Will DJM or Bridges be available in late Jan would be the only reason to rush that trade but I don't think they're the only players we can target.

I'd take a serious look at KAT if the wolves don't win the title and/or decide to break up towns/gobert due to cap reasons (i'm really hoping Ant makes an all-nba team and really puts pressure on that team's salary ceiling).
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#329 » by CDM_Stats » Tue May 7, 2024 9:54 pm

vvoland wrote:
You think the the ownership doesn't want to see bridges or DJM on the squad? Not sure but I'll defer on that one. Would love to see Bridges here, that would be an amazing move. I know you don't have much faith in JK learning to shoot but that's the reason I wouldn't trade him this summer. I'd give him to the deadline to show it one way or the other. If he can shoot, he may be the #2 we're looking for or, if it's not enough, we can trade him for a better player than we can now. If he isn't shooting better by late Jan, I doubt his value is lower than what it is today. Will DJM or Bridges be available in late Jan would be the only reason to rush that trade but I don't think they're the only players we can target.

I'd take a serious look at KAT if the wolves don't win the title and/or decide to break up towns/gobert due to cap reasons (i'm really hoping Ant makes an all-nba team and really puts pressure on that team's salary ceiling).

I think their biggest priority will be Klay Thompson, and I think this past year has shown that loyalty has surpassed accountability, first by the FO in extending Kerr amidst a bad season, and extended to Kerr with the players he put, and left, on the court. Nothing to support that but what I saw this year, but as I said.. I've really lost faith in their abilities to make, or maybe even identify, those kinds of calls

It would be nice if JK started shooting well, but betting that he learns it in the next 7 months is a bet I'm not willing to take, especially because there will be a stark value difference now, where a trading team has the chance to extend him before he hits RFA, and in February, when he's basically a 2-3 month rental that will definitely be hitting RFA
vvoland
Senior

Post#330 » by vvoland » Tue May 7, 2024 10:16 pm

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:

I think their biggest priority will be Klay Thompson, and I think this past year has shown that loyalty has surpassed accountability, first by the FO in extending Kerr amidst a bad season, and extended to Kerr with the players he put, and left, on the court. Nothing to support that but what I saw this year, but as I said.. I've really lost faith in their abilities to make, or maybe even identify, those kinds of calls

It would be nice if JK started shooting well, but betting that he learns it in the next 7 months is a bet I'm not willing to take, especially because there will be a stark value difference now, where a trading team has the chance to extend him before he hits RFA, and in February, when he's basically a 2-3 month rental that will definitely be hitting RFA

Wouldn't they be able to trade and extend or is the deadline for that early in the year?
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#331 » by CDM_Stats » Tue May 7, 2024 10:28 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Wouldn't they be able to trade and extend or is the deadline for that early in the year?

Not sure of exact date but the deadline to extend rookie contracts is usually a few days (maybe weeks?) before the season starts. I dont know if trading for a player on a rookie contract changes that, but I dont think it does
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,372

Post#332 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 11:00 pm

Rudy was playing with a hurt back last year and wasn't nearly as impactful as he normally is. He's moving a lot better this year.

I think you're taking it too far to say

Good interior defense still helps bad perimeter defenders look good. Look at AD and the Lakers. Knowing you can press up and someone behind you is going to clean up after you helps defenses a lot. You really don't even have to do much you can just funnel them to your big and you don't even have to be good. I agree good perimeter defense with the ability to switch can make up an elite defense, it just means you need a lot of good defenders on the court at the same time. But we've seen Gobert actually can switch defensively. He was locking up KD and Booker on an island against the Suns.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#333 » by CDM_Stats » Wed May 8, 2024 12:25 am

Onus wrote:

Rudy was playing with a hurt back last year and wasn't nearly as impactful as he normally is. He's moving a lot better this year.

I think you're taking it too far to say

Good interior defense still helps bad perimeter defenders look good. Look at AD and the Lakers. Knowing you can press up and someone behind you is going to clean up after you helps defenses a lot. You really don't even have to do much you can just funnel them to your big and you don't even have to be good. I agree good perimeter defense with the ability to switch can make up an elite defense, it just means you need a lot of good defenders on the court at the same time. But we've seen Gobert actually can switch defensively. He was locking up KD and Booker on an island against the Suns.

Well he's going to be tested there for sure, because statistically you definitely attack him there, if you can. And yes he's definitely an elite rim protector, but the truth is that most of his peripherals are the same as last year. The difference is that the team is giving up way less transition opportunities (swapping DLo for Conley helped their offense immensely) and they are crazy deep defensively

But my point is.. if the Wolves could walk back that trade, right now.. would they? I definitely would

Although I definitely can see the vision, if teams go for athleticism/length at the 1-4 spots, where its much easier to find, than paying the premiums for the 5s. They also have Leonard Miller who could bring some crazy upside to an already deep bench. But if I'm the Wolves, I'm making sure there's a backup plan for Conley starting next year. If they can lock that down, the sky's the limit. Edwards is looking more and more legit as a top end #1 option
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#334 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 8, 2024 6:28 am

First order of business should be to renounce the rights to Klay

Second they should trade Draymond. One option is to send him to the Lakers for a Rui and Vando package so he can play with his buddy and the Warriors can get off his contract for two roll players. Another potential team is the Bucks and getting back a package of Bobby Portis and Pat Connaughton.

Third is what to do with CP. They could just let him walk or use his contract after renouncing Klay to package him is a deal for an impact player but I don't really see a good option out there that would be worth taking on more salary. I would like to find a way to trade for DJM from Atlanta but I don't think they would just want to get off his contract. Lauri is unrealistic with what Ainge would want in return.

2024/25 Roster

Lakers trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Rui/Gui
Jk/Vando/Rui
TJD/Vando/Loon

Bucks trade:

Steph/Podz/Quinones
Moody/Podz/GP2
Wiggins/Gui/Connaughton
JK/Portis
TJD/Portis/Loon

Maybe they cut Loon to save a few M's and GP2 opts out and signs for more years at less annually and the team should be right around $141-144M. Not sexy but they would be younger and more athletic and have the MLE and vet minimums to play with to fill out the roster.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,444

Post#335 » by svart » Wed May 8, 2024 9:08 am

i feel there are only two realistic path from here. three if you count teaming up with bron and kd.

1. bring bron and kd, sign klay to a decent amount and trade the youngsters. old men versus the new generation, i don't think this will happen, and even if it will, that team does not win a chip, too old, too late.
2. if cury wants to win, we should trade him to another team, here he can't do it. trade then the old guard for picks and whatever. go full rebuild
3. if curry wants to ride into the sunset with his buddies, sign klay and wait two more years by being mediocre. trade whatever assets we have and keep jk, podz and tjd. and moody if his arse can take two more years of riding pine.

my opinion is they will take the last one. so i expect two more years of mediocrity.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
whatisacenter
RealGM

Post#336 » by whatisacenter » Wed May 8, 2024 3:42 pm

svart wrote:i feel there are only two realistic path from here. three if you count teaming up with bron and kd.

1. bring bron and kd, sign klay to a decent amount and trade the youngsters. old men versus the new generation, i don't think this will happen, and even if it will, that team does not win a chip, too old, too late.
2. if cury wants to win, we should trade him to another team, here he can't do it. trade then the old guard for picks and whatever. go full rebuild
3. if curry wants to ride into the sunset with his buddies, sign klay and wait two more years by being mediocre. trade whatever assets we have and keep jk, podz and tjd. and moody if his arse can take two more years of riding pine.

my opinion is they will take the last one. so i expect two more years of mediocrity.

I don't think and really hope the first two options don't happen.

With option 3, which I also think is the most likely, why would they be trading assets? If they do the ride into the sunset thing there is no reason to mortgage the future. Here are some snippets from an article on their cap issues.

https://www.spotrac.com/news/_/id/2234/2024-nba-offseason-financial-previews

Thompson is a role player now. He’s not an All-Star and he never will be again. If the Warriors are serious about cutting salary, it starts with Thompson just as much as it does with Paul.

Golden State needs to be firm here. Thompson made $43.2 million last year. Ideally, the Warriors would cut that figure in half. Something in the range of $20-$22 million feels fair. You’re acknowledging and paying for everything Thompson has meant to the franchise, while also acknowledging he’s a lessened, but still valuable player…at the right price.

Last thing on Thompson: To some extent how much the Warriors pay him is only dependent on how serious they are about getting out of the tax this coming season. The far more important matter is the number of years that Golden State locks into for Thompson. This needs to be year-to-year territory now, and if it’s a two-year deal, the second season has to be something the team has control over.

Waiving Paul, and cutting Thompson’s salary roughly in half would have the Warriors about $5.3 million under the luxury tax line with 11 players under contract. That’s pretty workable, and in range of ducking the tax entirely after the roster is filled out.

There’s been reporting that Gary Payton II may opt out of his $9.1 million contract for next season. The idea is Payton will opt out to sign a long-term deal that lowers his number for this season. That’s a way for Golden State to create about $4-$5 million more in wiggle room under the tax.

Lowering the tax, or dodging it entirely, is important for the Warriors to save some money for what has become a merely above-average team. It’s also important to start resetting the clock on the tax repeater rules.

Mike Dunleavy Jr’s first offseason running the front office was mostly about setting the stage for the latter path, while keeping the path to contention open. Now, it’s time to reset both the roster and the cap sheet. That might mean a short-term falloff, but one that leads to a long-term gain.

The bolded part is why I am frustrated with ownership and the FO for the last offseason. The team could already be where they are hoping to get to in a year.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,751

Post#337 » by azwfan » Wed May 8, 2024 5:12 pm

If we want to maximize Steph Curry's productivity, without destroying our future, I think we should be concentrating on having cap space in summer 2025.

1) Do not resign Klay to anything more than 6/7th man money.
2) Trade Wiggins for minimal long term salary. Vet expiring contracts - even better. (THJr + Powell)
3) If its possible to get value for Draymond, do it. Otherwise, salary dump. Should have ripped the band aid off last year, but we needed him to win a title this year.
4) If there's something good to get for CP3 go ahead and do it, but otherwise, let him go.

Those contracts (Wiggins and Dray) will be more difficult to dump next season if we have a sucker willing to sign on the dotted line.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,696

Post#338 » by Warriors Analyst » Wed May 8, 2024 7:53 pm

Saw someone make comp of Rudy as Bogut for this Wolves team. Murderous perimeter D backed by a defensive anchor, but their best defensive lineups might still be going smaller.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#339 » by EvanZ » Wed May 8, 2024 7:53 pm

Kind of wild watching these playoffs and seeing guys we refused to trade for at one point or another making big impacts all over the place.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,372

Post#340 » by Onus » Wed May 8, 2024 7:57 pm

EvanZ wrote:Kind of wild watching these playoffs and seeing guys we refused to trade for at one point or another making big impacts all over the place.

I still can't believe we didn't trade JK for OG. Our defense would've been on par with the Wolves. Curry/Moody/Wiggins/OG/Dray :drool:
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)

Return to Golden State Warriors