Official 2024 Offseason Moves

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,693

Re: Official 2024 Offseason Moves 

Post#301 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Sat May 4, 2024 7:55 pm

EvanZ wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:We have to decide whether we want to be a playoff team.

We would need to trade draft picks to be a playoff team during Curry’s decline.

Otherwise just Keep Curry, Klay, Dray, Trayce Podz and Quinones and Santos and trade everybody else for draft picks and be bad.

It's hilarious how you want to keep Lester and Gui Santos but trade Moody. I guess you have to double down on the idiocy.

Moodyhas some trade value. I like Lester and Santos but do not think they have trade value yet but they might develop trade value.
Lester Santos Trayce and Podz would be farm products to develop and trade for draft picks when they get more trade value.

Moody has no specialty. Moody is a generic very average NBA player but he might get us a mid to late 1st round pick.

Each year we would trade first round picks for presumably higher 1st round picks in the next year’s draft until we have 4 top 10 picks in a good draft and then we would draft players that we hope to be part of our next championship core. The point is not to get stuck as a middle team too good to get lottery picks but not good enough to win a playoff series. Our Kuminga level talents need to be on one timeline not one star fading as the next star emerges. We want 4 emerging stars on rookie contracts and then the payroll would be low enough to add an impactful free agent.

Ask Curry what he wants. Curry is hard to trade because his salary is so large. We can sacrifice future to get Curry help to have a decent team until he retires. He can go out with Klay and Dray.

I don’t see us being able to win another Championship with aging Curry, Aging Klay and aging Dray. Aim for a championship 10 years from now.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,263

Post#302 » by clyde21 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:20 pm

two years ago

the FO needs to take my trade suggestions seriously

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,263

Post#303 » by clyde21 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:21 pm

ALWAYS BUY LOW.

Identify undervalued system fits and makes fkn deals happen.
BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 205

Post#304 » by BayAreaDub » Tue May 7, 2024 5:06 am

We need to end up with no more than 3 players under 6"5"
ahmetmekin
Pro Prospect
And1: 484

Post#305 » by ahmetmekin » Tue May 7, 2024 7:46 am

The west is packed and will remain that way in the next couple of years. They should either try to get an all nba player or start rebuilding. Incremental changes do not make any sense at this point.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,177

Post#306 » by watch1958 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:17 am

clyde21 wrote:ALWAYS BUY LOW.

Identify undervalued system fits and makes fkn deals happen.
And take over-valued non-system fits and trade while the value is high.

Like maybe Jordan Poole?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#307 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 5:09 pm

Can we hire Tim Connelly from the Wolves? Built Denver then built a team to take down Denver in Minnesota. HAHA that's pretty damn remarkable.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#308 » by wco81 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:16 pm

Onus wrote:Can we hire Tim Connelly from the Wolves? Built Denver then built a team to take down Denver in Minnesota. HAHA that's pretty damn remarkable.

The main move he made is to acquire Rudi, which everyone agreed was a horrible overpay.

What is making the Wolves so good this year is the expected improvements of Ant and McDaniels but also the UNEXPECTED improvements of KAT and NAW.

KAT stopped being dumb. He still takes some dumb fouls but he's staying in the game and playing hard on both ends.

That's why they weren't so great last season, when they pretty much had the same team.

What game 2 showed is that they really don't need both KAT and Rudi, something which many people have been saying for awhile now. Because of their salary situation, it was always assumed that KAT would have to be moved.

That may still happen.
Onus
RealGM

Post#309 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 5:29 pm

wco81 wrote:
Onus wrote:Can we hire Tim Connelly from the Wolves? Built Denver then built a team to take down Denver in Minnesota. HAHA that's pretty damn remarkable.

The main move he made is to acquire Rudi, which everyone agreed was a horrible overpay.

What is making the Wolves so good this year is the expected improvements of Ant and McDaniels but also the UNEXPECTED improvements of KAT and NAW.

KAT stopped being dumb. He still takes some dumb fouls but he's staying in the game and playing hard on both ends.

That's why they weren't so great last season, when they pretty much had the same team.

What game 2 showed is that they really don't need both KAT and Rudi, something which many people have been saying for awhile now. Because of their salary situation, it was always assumed that KAT would have to be moved.

That may still happen.

I don't think you can overpay if that trade catapults you into title contention.

Kat is a massive luxury that they'll probably have to get rid of. Teams really are going to have 3-4 year window before they have to let go of players. It's going to be hard as hell to have a dynasty. The Nuggets "dynasty" lasted a year. It looks like the Wolves are next and they're going to have to make hard decisions coming soon.
vvoland
Senior
And1: 111

Post#310 » by vvoland » Tue May 7, 2024 5:36 pm

Onus wrote:
wco81 wrote:

That may still happen.

I don't think you can overpay if that trade catapults you into title contention.

Kat is a massive luxury that they'll probably have to get rid of. Teams really are going to have 3-4 year window before they have to let go of players. It's going to be hard as hell to have a dynasty. The Nuggets "dynasty" lasted a year. It looks like the Wolves are next and they're going to have to make hard decisions coming soon.

I don't think it was the rudy trade that got them into contention. It was Ant becoming a top 10-15 player in the league, maybe even higher in the playoffs.
Onus
RealGM

Post#311 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 5:39 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
wco81 wrote:

That may still happen.

I don't think it was the rudy trade that got them into contention. It was Ant becoming a top 10-15 player in the league, maybe even higher in the playoffs.

It's their defense that is insane and locking people up. Rudy is the one that brought that mentality to the Wolves. Before they were horrendous defensively. Everyone was saying you can't win with KAT because he played no defense.
vvoland
Senior

Post#312 » by vvoland » Tue May 7, 2024 5:45 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:I don't think you can overpay if that trade catapults you into title contention.

It's their defense that is insane and locking people up. Rudy is the one that brought that mentality to the Wolves. Before they were horrendous defensively. Everyone was saying you can't win with KAT because he played no defense.

It is their defense, but giving Rudy full credit for that may or may not be correct. I ascribe more of the credit to Edwards, Reid, McD, NAW, as a collective. Most of those players grew into their roles and brought the intensity and defense this roster needed. Edwards is leading KAT to new heights and while Rudy is a vet they needed to shore up the rim protection, I wouldn't give him the credit for changing the team's mentality/attitude. I think that's up to the team's leader to set and for the wolves, emotionally, vocally, and talent-wise, is Ant.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,236

Post#313 » by EvanZ » Tue May 7, 2024 5:59 pm

Denver is really banged up.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Onus
RealGM

Post#314 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 6:01 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

It is their defense, but giving Rudy full credit for that may or may not be correct. I ascribe more of the credit to Edwards, Reid, McD, NAW, as a collective. Most of those players grew into their roles and brought the intensity and defense this roster needed. Edwards is leading KAT to new heights and while Rudy is a vet they needed to shore up the rim protection, I wouldn't give him the credit for changing the team's mentality/attitude. I think that's up to the team's leader to set and for the wolves, emotionally, vocally, and talent-wise, is Ant.

Yea I'm sure the 22 year old was like guys this is how you play defense in the NBA. We really need to focus on that end of the floor. Even though he was the one that wasn't putting in effort on that end and gets lost off the ball.

Everywhere Rudy goes he turns them into the no 1 rated defense but we're just going to say that it's the 22 year old that changed the team's mentality about defense. If that's what you want to attribute it to sure.

Also I hope you realize when you trade your entire future for a player that player is going to have a voice and be one of the leaders on the team.
vvoland
Senior

Post#315 » by vvoland » Tue May 7, 2024 6:13 pm

Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:It's their defense that is insane and locking people up. Rudy is the one that brought that mentality to the Wolves. Before they were horrendous defensively. Everyone was saying you can't win with KAT because he played no defense.

Yea I'm sure the 22 year old was like guys this is how you play defense in the NBA. We really need to focus on that end of the floor. Even though he was the one that wasn't putting in effort on that end and gets lost off the ball.

Everywhere Rudy goes he turns them into the no 1 rated defense but we're just going to say that it's the 22 year old that changed the team's mentality about defense. If that's what you want to attribute it to sure.

Also I hope you realize when you trade your entire future for a player that player is going to have a voice and be one of the leaders on the team.

Coaches are the ones that are like "guys, this is how you play defense" not players. What players/leaders do is get the rest of the team to buy in and follow the coaching while ramping up the intensity. Nothing I've seen from Rudy indicates he's the guy driving that. If you think Ant isn't putting effort in on defense, we have nothing to discuss. His leap this year is in large part because he is locked in on defense and is holding his teammates, mainly KAT, accountable. Rudy, on that team, without Ant's buy in or the perimeter defense that McD, Ant, and NAW bring, would be a waste of trade assets. They need Rudy a lot less than Rudy needs them.
wco81
RealGM

Post#316 » by wco81 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:17 pm

Difference between Utah Rudi and Wolves Rudi is that you don't have a parade of very athletic wings going downhill at Rudi as was the case in Utah.

The perimeter defenders the Wolves have prevent them from attacking Rudi underneath.

It has disrupted the 2-man game between Jokic and Murray, which has been one of the most effective offensive actions in the league in the past couple of seasons.
Onus
RealGM

Post#317 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 6:40 pm

vvoland wrote:
Onus wrote:
vvoland wrote:

Coaches are the ones that are like "guys, this is how you play defense" not players. What players/leaders do is get the rest of the team to buy in and follow the coaching while ramping up the intensity. Nothing I've seen from Rudy indicates he's the guy driving that. If you think Ant isn't putting effort in on defense, we have nothing to discuss. His leap this year is in large part because he is locked in on defense and is holding his teammates, mainly KAT, accountable. Rudy, on that team, without Ant's buy in or the perimeter defense that McD, Ant, and NAW bring, would be a waste of trade assets. They need Rudy a lot less than Rudy needs them.

Ant deserves credit for putting more focus on that end. But before this year Ant wasn't locked in defensively. Most 22 year olds aren't focusing on defense unless there's a vet that's telling them that's important is my point. Ant still gets lost off the ball, which is fine he's 22 and that's expected.

You realize Rudy was able to get a top defense with Mitchell, Conley, O'neal, and Bojan. A team that couldn't keep anyone out of the paint to save their lives by themselves. The GM obviously thought otherwise that they needed Rudy a lot more than they needed any type of future draft pick. The GM who built the Nuggets into who they are and now building these Wolves. I'd say Tim valued Rudy highly, so highly everyone was saying they overpaid. So to say they need Rudy less than Rudy needs them is just bs.
Onus
RealGM

Post#318 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 6:42 pm

wco81 wrote:Difference between Utah Rudi and Wolves Rudi is that you don't have a parade of very athletic wings going downhill at Rudi as was the case in Utah.

The perimeter defenders the Wolves have prevent them from attacking Rudi underneath.

It has disrupted the 2-man game between Jokic and Murray, which has been one of the most effective offensive actions in the league in the past couple of seasons.

Rudy finally has help on the defensive end and all of a sudden Rudy isn't getting "played off the court".
wco81
RealGM

Post#319 » by wco81 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:45 pm

Onus wrote:
wco81 wrote:Difference between Utah Rudi and Wolves Rudi is that you don't have a parade of very athletic wings going downhill at Rudi as was the case in Utah.

Rudy finally has help on the defensive end and all of a sudden Rudy isn't getting "played off the court".

Wolves did even better defensively in game 2 than game 1.
Onus
RealGM

Post#320 » by Onus » Tue May 7, 2024 6:46 pm

wco81 wrote:
Onus wrote:

Wolves did even better defensively in game 2 than game 1.

That is true. The wolves as a whole look locked in and hungry.

Return to Golden State Warriors