ImageImageImageImageImage

Suns are done. Time to bring back KD?

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Suns are done. Time to bring back KD? 

Post#41 » by CS707 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:46 pm

I assume we can guarantee Paul's contract and trade him and Wiggins straight up. We have limited options, but the Suns are even more limited in potential moves. It's the type of trade that really only interests an aspiring contender and even then probably only one that's on its last legs ala our very own Warriors. Wiggins and Paul are marginally more useful to the Suns right now than KD IMO.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 190

Post#42 » by thunderdunk » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:02 pm

I'm assuming that the Suns won't trade KD unless he asks to be traded, and then only if someone will take Beal's contract. But i could be wrong. Clearly, the KD-Booker-Beal thing didn't work, and won't work going forward. So they have to do something. Same with the Dubs -- couldn't even get to Round 1 with the current roster, with pretty much everyone healthy. For both of these teams (and the Lakers, for that matter), something has to give.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#43 » by HiRez » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:06 pm

Renaming the venue AARP™ Last Chance Center, concessions by Geritol™, Metamucil™-boosted smoothies, Depends™ logo on the jerseys, and the Tamiflu™ Shot Of The Game should help offset the tax hit.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#44 » by GunnerWRX » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:23 pm

If we can figure it out with just CP3's contract and Wiggins then sure. I will throw in Gui and a 2nd as well.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,366

Post#45 » by Onus » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:04 pm

thunderdunk wrote:I'm assuming that the Suns won't trade KD unless he asks to be traded, and then only if someone will take Beal's contract. But i could be wrong. Clearly, the KD-Booker-Beal thing didn't work, and won't work going forward. So they have to do something. Same with the Dubs -- couldn't even get to Round 1 with the current roster, with pretty much everyone healthy. For both of these teams (and the Lakers, for that matter), something has to give.

Moving 90M in contracts in 1 trade is difficult. We could've gave them a get out jail free pass at the deadline with Klay and CP3, but I guess they had to give it a go.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,089

Post#46 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:12 pm

Beal has a NTC on top of it, the Suns likely cannot move off him. Almost certainly not with KD, that's an impossible ask. Moving Beal himself is challenging enough, but adding him to KD would reduce any value he currently has

Would expect a lot of teams to be able to beat what we should be willing to offer. Lots of teams in the East (NYK, IND, ORL, CLE) have the assets and picks to make something happen. In the West, I feel like there are less options but a team like SAC or HOU might make a play for one as well to get back into the playoffs

But if I had to bank on one team to watch, it would be Orlando. If they could get a #1 type that can shoot.. that's an upper echelon team going forward. If they get Booker? They could be set for half a decade. If they get KD, could lend them 2 years of credibility. Watching them reminds me of the Warriors in 2013, not quite ready but brimming with upside
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,053

Post#47 » by Jester_ » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:13 pm

KD is basically OKC's to lose at this point. Between Jalen, Giddey, available cap space and their army of picks they can give the Suns a better package than anyone, not to mention the KD return/redemption arc.

Lebron is probably a better pipe dream for us honestly
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#48 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:33 pm

Jester_ wrote:KD is basically OKC's to lose at this point. Between Jalen, Giddey, available cap space and their army of picks they can give the Suns a better package than anyone, not to mention the KD return/redemption arc.

I'd hate to see OKC tie up so much salary on KD (also would be damned surprised if Jalen is on the table at all). They have so much potential to be a dynasty with their current roster, no need to "fix" it with a move somewhat tied to sentimentality. A move for Nurkic would make more sense IMO

But I see a lot more options for OKC that could be available considering their warchest, even though I think they missed out on their best fit (Siakam). Lauri could be one.. and if the Warriors go full rebuild, someone like Draymond Green who can help anchor a defense would do a lot of good there, and probably would only cost picks, not any valuable player assets.

Theres a lot of young teams I like out there and I'd really hate to see one get suckered by the Suns.. if anything, send him to the Lakers. **** the Lakers
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,087

Post#49 » by whatisacenter » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:48 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
Jester_ wrote:KD is basically OKC's to lose at this point. Between Jalen, Giddey, available cap space and their army of picks they can give the Suns a better package than anyone, not to mention the KD return/redemption arc.

I'd hate to see OKC tie up so much salary on KD (also would be damned surprised if Jalen is on the table at all). They have so much potential to be a dynasty with their current roster, no need to "fix" it with a move somewhat tied to sentimentality. A move for Nurkic would make more sense IMO

But I see a lot more options for OKC that could be available considering their warchest, even though I think they missed out on their best fit (Siakam). Lauri could be one.. and if the Warriors go full rebuild, someone like Draymond Green who can help anchor a defense would do a lot of good there, and probably would only cost picks, not any valuable player assets.

Theres a lot of young teams I like out there and I'd really hate to see one get suckered by the Suns.. if anything, send him to the Lakers. **** the Lakers

OKC would be foolish to add KD or LeBron at this stage of their careers.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer

Post#50 » by thunderdunk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:54 am

I'm not sure what the OKC war chest really looks like at this point -- their own picks will be too low to be of much value, and I haven't evaluated what picks they have from other teams. If those picks are also later in the first round, then I question why anyone would trade someone of value for them (absent a salary dump.) The draft this year supposedly sucks. What would a handful of late first rounders be worth in the future? If I'm the Suns, I'm looking for some immediate help if I trade KD.

And BTW -- there's no way on earth the Suns trade Booker, ever.
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer

Post#51 » by thunderdunk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:02 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Beal has a NTC on top of it, the Suns likely cannot move off him. Almost certainly not with KD, that's an impossible ask. Moving Beal himself is challenging enough, but adding him to KD would reduce any value he currently has

Would expect a lot of teams to be able to beat what we should be willing to offer. Lots of teams in the East (NYK, IND, ORL, CLE) have the assets and picks to make something happen. In the West, I feel like there are less options but a team like SAC or HOU might make a play for one as well to get back into the playoffs

But if I had to bank on one team to watch, it would be Orlando. If they could get a #1 type that can shoot.. that's an upper echelon team going forward. If they get Booker? They could be set for half a decade. If they get KD, could lend them 2 years of credibility. Watching them reminds me of the Warriors in 2013, not quite ready but brimming with upside

If I'm the Suns I'd love to get out from under Beal's contract. But I think the odds that they can do that without packaging him with someone else is close to nil. That's why I'm thinking of a package with KD. The Dubs could possibly make it work with CP3, Klay, Wiggs, etc. as part of a deal for both - -IF the Dubs want to take on Beal's contract too. Which is a big IF.

If there's a separate market for Beal (which I doubt), then make it a 3-team trade. And again, IMO, Booker isn't going anywhere. But if someone really wants Beal, then it's time for MDJ to get really creative and hit the phones.
GunnerWRX
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#52 » by GunnerWRX » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:04 am

Re: KD back to OKC - I don't think it is much of a reality regardless of KD's wishes.

When LeBron returned to the Cavs, he was 30 and still in his prime. KD will be 36 when next season starts... he is not washed out yet but he is close to be.

Assuming KD wants to return, it will be up to OKC and Shai to decide. If Shai doesn't go out of his way to call KD to join, or tell OKC's management to make KD happen, KD returning to OKC won't happen no matter what KD dreams of.

Re: the Suns, they still need to make Booker happy. They are not going to take a couple of picks and "promising" players for KD. They need to win *now* or Booker will ask out soon. On the other hand, OKC will not want to give up much for a 36-yo KD.

KD back to OKC will be a hot rumor - but I just don't see it happening.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 457

Post#53 » by Romulus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:41 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Suns emptied the coffers for KD/Beal.. so whoever wants either is going to have to replenish them, draft-wise. It should not be the Warriors

Actually, they gave up virtually nothing for Beal.
Romulus
Pro Prospect

Post#54 » by Romulus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:43 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Yes. And I think Durant would relish seeing Draymond sent out of town for the condition of his return.

KD might well have stayed if it wasn't for Draymond. I'm sure the only way he'd even consider a return would be without Draymond here.

And personally, I'd be all for that.
Romulus
Pro Prospect

Post#55 » by Romulus » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:59 am

As like most things in this league, it all comes down to where the player wants to be. We all know KD's never happy where he is so he likely does want to move on from the Suns.

What's more appealing to him? Return to OKC? Return to the Warriors? He calls the shot and the FO gets the best deal they can from whichever team he decides he wants to play for.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#56 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:40 am

Romulus wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Suns emptied the coffers for KD/Beal.. so whoever wants either is going to have to replenish them, draft-wise. It should not be the Warriors

Actually, they gave up virtually nothing for Beal.

#7 and 4 pick swaps

It was all they had left
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#57 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:43 am

thunderdunk wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:Beal has a NTC on top of it, the Suns likely cannot move off him. Almost certainly not with KD, that's an impossible ask. Moving Beal himself is challenging enough, but adding him to KD would reduce any value he currently has

If I'm the Suns I'd love to get out from under Beal's contract. But I think the odds that they can do that without packaging him with someone else is close to nil. That's why I'm thinking of a package with KD. The Dubs could possibly make it work with CP3, Klay, Wiggs, etc. as part of a deal for both - -IF the Dubs want to take on Beal's contract too. Which is a big IF.

If there's a separate market for Beal (which I doubt), then make it a 3-team trade. And again, IMO, Booker isn't going anywhere. But if someone really wants Beal, then it's time for MDJ to get really creative and hit the phones.

No team is going to add 90m to their roster like that.. it would necessitate gutting their current roster to add 2 players, one who's got 2 major leg injuries at 36, and another guy who's played 60 games ONCE in the past 5 seasons

The cap route is closed, and its usually the wrong route to take anyways. Teams dont rebuild themselves in free agency, they do it with draft picks.. thats what they should be gunning for
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#58 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:48 am

thunderdunk wrote:

I'm not sure what the OKC war chest really looks like at this point -- their own picks will be too low to be of much value, and I haven't evaluated what picks they have from other teams. If those picks are also later in the first round, then I question why anyone would trade someone of value for them (absent a salary dump.) The draft this year supposedly sucks. What would a handful of late first rounders be worth in the future? If I'm the Suns, I'm looking for some immediate help if I trade KD.

And BTW -- there's no way on earth the Suns trade Booker, ever.

They just went all-in with a bad hand. The trio of Booker/KD/Beal looks brutal. KD's unhappy. And even if they just trade KD and Beal, they can't tank because the better pick would go to the Wizards in '24, '26, ''28 and '30. Because the '25/'27/'29 already belong to Brooklyn

Smart move, if they are dealing KD, would be to deal Booker before he publicly wants out from being on a go-nowhere team. He'll be 28 next year too.. doesnt exactly have all the time in the world. Guards typically dont age well.. everything should be pointing them towards trying to mitigate the damage they've done long term. But they'll probably sunk-cost it for a year or two before doing what was inevitable in the first place... just like the Warriors
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,746

Post#59 » by azwfan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:58 am

About the only realistic player to deal is Nurkic. They’ll also have draft rights to their pick this year. Dont think it fixes anything for them though. They need to unload Beal’s contract for a pg. Funny enough think theyre better if they just traded us cp3 for Poole last year. Could have nabbed a pick from us (so they’d have all their swaps) plus a heavily protected future 1st… plus save a bunch of money. Oh well, live and learn. Guess a pg would be helpful afterall. Id offer them podz but they got no young talent nor picks.

In other news, I hope we can snag Bol Bol on a minimum contract. If we cant have wemby nor chet at least we can get the homeless man’s version.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#60 » by sonnyhill » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:08 pm

Romulus wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Yes. And I think Durant would relish seeing Draymond sent out of town for the condition of his return.

KD might well have stayed if it wasn't for Draymond. I'm sure the only way he'd even consider a return would be without Draymond here.

And personally, I'd be all for that.

The issue with the Warriors for KD is Kerr, not Green. Both KD and Green spoke about this, together, on Green's podcast.

Return to Golden State Warriors