ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 14th pick, GS selects Anthony Randolph

Moderators: floppymoose, Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair

Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Re: With the 14th pick, GS selects Anthony Randolph 

Post#61 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm wondering how all this plays out between Wright and Randolph. I view Wright as a future PF, while Randolph is a SF. If Wright doesn't develop some bulk/strength to play inside, I believe he will be the odd man out. Also, the Warriors suck at projects and I'm hoping they don't give up on either.

I'm excited about a future front court lineup of Biedrins, Wright and Randolf. What a nightmare trying to get your shot off inside against that bunch.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#62 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:13 pm

I hope Nellie wasn't smoking when he made those comments.
I see him easing Randolph because of strength, much like Brandan last year. Brandan better not get the short end of the stick though.

That front court with those 3 will provide something we haven't seen around here in about 15 years. Major shot blocking. With our style of play shot blocking and shot changing becomes very very important.

This bodes well for us if we can find a real good SG/PG for the future.

The trade front is scary now, because we're liking the BWright/ Randolph potential as fans. But you have to admit that there is some duplication there.

Please don't rade the youngs Mully.
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#63 » by Left*My*Heart » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:31 pm

Randolph is going to be a SF. I think the big issue is with Wright and if he can get strong enough to play the PF position. I think he has more work to do than Randolph to play SF. We now have a very impressive front court height wise.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#64 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Left*My*Heart wrote:Randolph is going to be a SF. I think the big issue is with Wright and if he can get strong enough to play the PF position. I think he has more work to do than Randolph to play SF. We now have a very impressive front court height wise.

Length wise.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#65 » by BROWN » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:46 pm

I think Nellie will finally let his big ego go, and end up playing
Randolph, Wright, Beans at the same time... with maybe Ellis and Jackson, or Baron and Jack, or Baron and Ellis, or Ellis and Baron .

Potentially, I see this as our best lineup, were fast, we have shot blockers, we can shoot and we can get to the rim.

The only hard part would be deciding who plays SG? Ellis or Jackson...
Souvlaki
Head Coach
And1: 3

Post#66 » by Souvlaki » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:50 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Watched the first 3 minutes...randolph missed some "bunnies" that he should have made. I do like his length, hope he takes it stronger to the hoop

I noticed that too. That's why I hate the usual highlight videos on youtube. Heck, have you seen the Foyle highlight real? What a force. Or a farce.
Souvlaki
Head Coach

Post#67 » by Souvlaki » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I hope Nellie wasn't smoking when he made those comments.
I see him easing Randolph because of strength, much like Brandan last year. Brandan better not get the short end of the stick though.

I don't think the Warriors would undermine Wright like that. There would be no point. Doesn't mean they might not be thinking trade though.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#68 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm kinda shocked that no seems to mind that we really didn't work Randolph out, despite what Mullin says...

The fact that Nellie admitted that Randolph was a "Nellie pick" kinda scares me, as he obviously didn't do his homework on his last pick. Also admitting that Wright was Mullin's guy kinda confirms who exactly we were actually trying for last year...

Will Wright and AR see the court together this year?
gsw5
Senior

Post#69 » by gsw5 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:08 pm

i dont trust nellie one bit

in his mind he probably wants to move biedrins and run a wright/randolph frontline...
Head Leader
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#70 » by Head Leader » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:11 pm

enjoy the pick and recognize we got a decent player.. **** last year. we got brandan. cmon Reg stop being so pessimistic.

be happy for this one time.
Abyss Impact
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#71 » by Abyss Impact » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:17 pm

Ellis/Watson
Belinelli/Azubuike
Randolph/Pietrus
Wright/Hendrix
Biedrins/O'Bryant

Too bad our coach is too dumb.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:20 pm

No way - I'm a big picture guy, and while I'm basically happy with the pick, try shaking these thoughts:

- we never saw Randolph work out. He was in POR when we supposedly worked him out with Arthur and Jason Thompson. Draw your own conclusions - I'm not a big fan of workouts, but AR's waning confidence throughout workouts makes me wonder if he can handle being on a Nellie team. I just want homework to be done - we're paying the ODB 5m, Id say interviewing our potential draft pick oughta be covered in that.

- Anthony Randolph is a Nellie player? He's a Nellie pick? The kid is 18 and needs to improve a lot of facets of his game. Which is fine, but the fact that he's a "Nellie guy"? Is Nellie planning on waiting around for him? Will we have to endure more small ball and crazy rotations for another year, further stunting post player's growth? What does that mean for the future of Biedrins?

There's nothing pessimistic about due diligence... that's all I want from a coaching staff that we're apparently paying top dollar for.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,747

Post#73 » by azwfan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:27 pm

Never seen him play but he sounds like a skinny Billy Owens.
Head Leader
Sixth Man

Post#74 » by Head Leader » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:49 pm

"Nellie Guy" can mean so many different things.

Im nto going to defend these guys picks, im just going to play the wait and see, i like randolphs skill set.

and we have wright.

so i dont really see what the issue is.

honestly.
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#75 » by Hopper15 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:56 pm

FWIW - Randolph said that the Warriors saw his workout.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:11 pm

Hopper15 wrote:FWIW - Randolph said that the Warriors saw his workout.

My issue isnt with the skillset the guy has, we're familiar with that by now. Or we should be.

My issue would strictly be an interview issue... can this kid handle playing under Nellie? Remember he was getting shaken by having poor workouts, and we all know that Nellie can get into kid's heads. That's my main concern right now - did we bring him to GS and properly evaluate him?

I'm not saying for sure one way or another, but from what was reported, the kid seems like his confidence is very fragile. He may be a "Nellie guy" but I'd rather a different coach handle him.
GSWhoopfan
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#77 » by GSWhoopfan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:12 pm

FWIW: Beasley only worked out for Miami and Chicago and everyone heard about it. Just because he doesnt come to our specific camp, doesnt mean research wasnt done. Coaches talk with each other, GMs do as well.

At first glance, i really didnt understand what the scope was with this kid. But im watching all kind of clips, (yeah most of them are his dunks) but ive noticed a couple of things to get excited about.

-saw a clip against Oregon i believe...blocks the shot, starts the fast break, stops on a dime, pops the 15 footer. thats legit. i just need to see it once, and now im convinced hes a top 10 talent this year. clearly, his instincts took over on that. thats a legit NBA type of transition move.

-hes quick as hell for his size

-yesterday, i was excited to hear his confidence -you saw me play, you know what im capable of doing. im up against the biggest guys and this is what i do mentality. that swagger is big. i love it.

-skinny, but he seems strong

bottom line: if this kids "handle" is for real, hes going to be a BONAFIDE STAR. im excited, i want to go to Vegas now.
Head Leader
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by Head Leader » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:16 pm

i tihnk your beating the "getting shaken" py poor workout thing drum alittle to hard reg.

If you have a bad workout, especially being 18 and your nba draft future is on the line, it could be easy to get a little discouraged. I'm sure thats all it was.

your making it sound liek the guy shrivled up into his sack and couldnt do anything on the court during those days, i hardly think thats the case, and its why im not even worried about that non issue.

i beelive oden had a terrible workout too and he was a little discouraged as well last year... it happens, i dont think it is a issue.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:25 pm

This was a guy who was projected top 5 about 2 weeks ago, and played himself out of that area...

I'm not beating any drum too hard... ya'll forget history so fast, I can remember another big guy with confidence issues who got beat down by Nellie... hell the only people who really succeed under him are the ones with the extremely strong will and who don't lose their confidence in themselves - maintain composure.

If you want to shrug it off, thats fine... but thats the main, maybe only, reason POB couldn't stick here. He was timid and scared on the court, and you can hear it in his voice (interviews) and see his body language on the court. He was defeated. JG's blog and a couple of others noticed the same type of attitude that Randolph was sporting in workouts.

I'm not saying its a guarantee, but it is a major concern. I'm saying I hope it was addressed, because right now, it seems that it wasn't.
CrackLaden
Junior
And1: 0

Post#80 » by CrackLaden » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:32 pm

For some reason, though, I get the feeling Don Nelson knows what's going on this year...he's said in interviews that his job is to bring the young kids along and get them ready for the future. Now, it's distinctly possible that he's talking out of his ass and is going to ride 6 guys hoping to squeeze into the playoffs again, but I think he knows that didn't work last year when we faded down the stretch. I think he knows he's gonna need minutes from the rookies.

I like to think this isn't just blind faith in Nellie, but I really don't think it is. Randolph will be fine long-term. He's got way too much confidence to get broken down like that, IMO.

Return to Golden State Warriors