Eurobasket 09 thread:

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Re: Eurobasket featuring Andris Biedrins and Ronny Turiaf 

Post#141 » by FNQ » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:08 pm

The only thing that disappointed me was when Monta Ellis played last year and the JC trade

I would have loved to tank NBA2k style... hell, we were perfectly ready for it after Monta's injury and Al wanting out. So it wasn't perfect... but hated it? Nah. I knew that taking away a talent like Baron, warts and all, would hurt our W-L record temporarily.

AR and Morrow showed great flashes, Monta and Biedrins are healthy, we got a solid shooting guard for our troubles, and we rehabbed some of Jack's value and might even get some value for Buke for it too.

That season was over the moment Monta wrecked... I think fans who expected anything out of last season are the ones who consider it a tough year. What got me through it was the fans saying 'If we had Baron, we'd still be a great team'
Sleepy51
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 2,321

Post#142 » by Sleepy51 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Mylie10 wrote:The team has been a huge revolving door since Rowell decided not to bring Baron back.

Rowell did not "decide not to bring Baron back" He decided not to give Baron what he wanted in an extension. The two acts are very different. Extension or not, Rowell thought he had Baron by $17Million short and curlies for last season. Plan "A" was NOT to convince Baron to opt out and roll with a youth squad this past season. There was no plan B. The fact that his basketball brain trust didn't protect ticket sales from a Baron departure (possibly Nellie even knew about it - remember Nellie counseled Baron about his contract woes early on) is probably the #1 reason why Rowell has been putting very large paw prints on everything since.
Jester_ wrote:Can we trade Draymond Green for Grayson Allen?
Luusizz
Senior
And1: 0

Post#143 » by Luusizz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:36 am

Yesterday we lost 75:77 to Lithuania in OT. We had the game already, but a series of bad luck for our team let Lithuania take it to OT. Andris looked really good on D and rebounds today, however his shot was a bit off on many occasions because he tried to play in post against 2 or sometimes 3 lithuanians who have pretty good PFs and Cs also. His presence really made the game a lot easier for our second center Kaspars Kambala who had a really good game this time because Lithuania looked after Andris all the time. They didn't allow our PGs to get the ball to Andris when he was in the post by double teaming (and covering pass lanes) Andris or our PG.

Andris scored 12 points on 5/9 shooting and made 2/6 FTs, he also had approximately 10 rebounds, but I don't know for sure because there is no Box score avaible (his shooting stats were shown during the game though). He also had 5 personal fouls (4 of them in the 4th quarter) some of which were really questionable, but he had them because he had to stop guys that had good shooting positions because of other teammates (just like in GSW :D). Here is a brief video of the game. Andris can be seen on some episodes: http://esports.lv/basketbols/izlases/vi ... _komentari
Unstoppable, baby!
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#144 » by St.Nick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:41 am

Andris simply isn't a good offensive player. I'm tired of all the excuses for him. The guy needs to be one foot away from the basket to score. No more of this complaining for him to get the ball on offense and how Nelson stifles him. Lame.
Luusizz
Senior

Post#145 » by Luusizz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:43 am

At the start of video he says that Latvia had a good game and our biggest problem was many TOs. He also said that he is far from being ready for European Championship. It looks like he just isn't in shape right now – he is being prepared to be in shape for the Championship not exhibition games. :)

And there is also factor that while last year Andris played almost 40 mpg, this year he is playing approximately 25 minutes a game because we also have Kaspars Kambala who can take the load off Andris. :) Which means that he shouldn't be tired because of playing for national team this year.

But his teammates and coach have already said that Andris and Kaspars Kambala will be the centerpieces of the team so expect some good numbers from him at the championship itself. :)

P.S. I'm happy to see that Andris is not ready yet because previous years our team had a problem that we won almost all of our exhibition games and then lost to weaker teams in championship games. + Andris seemed to be tired because of the national team last 2 years, but I believe that this year will be different.
Unstoppable, baby!
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#146 » by St.Nick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:48 am

Andris is in bad shape?!?!?!..You see thats just his problem. He doesn't take this serious, therefore he'll never be a champion. We need to trade him to Toronto for Reggie Evans and Marcus Banks.

Whaddaya say, guys? Lets give him the lazy Marco treatment.
Luusizz
Senior

Post#147 » by Luusizz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:00 am

Not really in a bad shape. :D Just not in his best shape, but I guess that you are just being sarcastic. :)
Unstoppable, baby!
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#148 » by St.Nick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:12 am

I'm testing the principles of our posters. If being out of shape is enough to tear apart Marco then they should have the same feelings towards Andris.
Luusizz
Senior

Post#149 » by Luusizz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:36 am

Haha. I get it. Well, it's one thing to be out of shape for the beginning of the season, but being out of shape in the preparing period is something completely different.
Unstoppable, baby!
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#150 » by Coxy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:49 am

Lalalalalala, Jeff Green, Nick Collison, Thabo Sefelosha lalalalalalalala.....................
MightyReds2020
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#151 » by MightyReds2020 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:50 pm

St.Nick wrote:I'm testing the principles of our posters. If being out of shape is enough to tear apart Marco then they should have the same feelings towards Andris.

Marco was out of shape the moment he was born.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#152 » by Mylie10 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:43 pm

There's a difference between being tired..... and fat.

Andris gives 110% when he plays.

I love Marco's game, but he hasn't shown a great work ethic until he challenged Nellie in the press last year. Then as soon as he was done playing last year he hit the buffet line...and lost the gym key.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#153 » by St.Nick » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:45 pm

Yet he is scoring over 20ppg in the European Tournament.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#154 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:50 pm

Andris seems to leveling out now that he's got his 2nd contract locked up..His FT shooting is getting worse. Until he either improves overhand or goes Rick Barry retro on us, I'm going to go a little negative on the kid.

He's too young to be satisfied with his career.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#155 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:56 pm

I'd probably would have gone a little easier on Marco, except all you Beli lovers were in a total denial state about Marco's marshmellowness.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#156 » by turk3d » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:14 pm

Andris is technically on vacation now (and has been for a while). He's never come into camp the least bit out of shape and I don't expect that to be the case. I agree with Luuizz, last year he came into the season a little tired (which a number of us said may have resulted in a lack of stamina, even suggesting he stay out of the Euro games this year). Now that he decided to take things a bit slower, you want to complain about it.

This is his preseason and I'm sure he'll be in great shape (like he always has) when our season begins (whether it's with us another team). Just another dumb excuse to give Nellie to justify trading him. Now because he's not in shape for the Euro games (like we give a $hit). What will be next?
:banghead:
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,833

Post#157 » by floppymoose » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Andris played out of his mind at the beginning of last season. If that was tired, sign me up.

It was after the first third of the season that he declined. Part of it was injury.
Sid the Squid
Banned User

Post#158 » by Sid the Squid » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:27 pm

turk3d wrote: I agree with Luuizz, last year he came into the season a little tired :
another horrid take but you are consistant..Andris was on fire to start last season.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#159 » by turk3d » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:36 pm

Wore down quicker, just finished playing a pretty rigorous schedule where he was getting a lot of minutes. May have even had some minor injuries (that Euro ball is rough and he was the primary target by other teams). Who was it who was claiming that they didn't want him playing Euro ball this season for the very same reasons? I don't think it was me. I'm just going by the usual expert opinions (such as yours) on this board. They said it, not me. Maybe "tired" is not the best word, but wore down may b e more appropriate. I know this: Andris missed more games due to injury this past year than in any of his previous.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,360

Post#160 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:47 pm

turk3d wrote:
Sleepy51 wrote:
turk3d wrote:C'mon Sleepy, let's not start that again. You make a joke about being gay, it's ok. I make one, it's not. People have a right to be be what they want, and do what they want, as long as it's legal. Let's leave it at that. I guess you never heard of the West Side Story. lol. Man you're really sensitive when it comes to that. You think I go gaybashing up in the city or something? I got to many things more important to me in this life to worry about who's sleeping with who.

I did not make any such joke. My joke was not about being gay. My joke was about how infantile your homophobia is. The use of "gay" as the punch line in that joke was not to mock gayness, or posit gayness as a pejorative insult. It was to point out the level of insecurity and subconscious sexual confusion (often called "latent homosexuality") that is known to underly and motivate most male homophobia.

That you didn't get the joke just underscores my point. It's perfect. I say "gay" you start giggling, oblivious to the irony of the joke itself. You made my joke even more powerful by your predictable response. I'll stop now before you swallow your tongue.

You seem to be the one who didn't get the joke. OK Dr. Spock, I fell into your "gay" trap if it makes you feel any better. :sigh:

I think you're both queer

When is the season going to start?
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.

Return to Golden State Warriors