2009 NFL Off-Season Thread

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

2009 NFL Off-Season Thread 

Post#1 » by miller31time » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:15 am

Post your thoughts on what the Ravens will do this off-season.

Here is a list of free agents from each position...

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/features ... php?y=2009

Here's what I think we'll do (and what we need to do)....

-Draft a starting CB in the opening rounds
-Release Chris McAlister
-Sign a reliable WR in free agency
-Re-sign Ray Lewis to a hefty contract
-Franchise Tag Terrell Suggs
-Do not re-sign Bart Scott (unfortunately, we just can't afford him)
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2009 NFL Off-Season Thread 

Post#2 » by miller31time » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:29 am

From the Baltimore Sun, here are the 10 Questions Facing the Ravens this off-season....

1. Who will be the next defensive coordinator?

To keep continuity with the No.2 defense, the Ravens are looking to promote from within. The top candidates are special assistant Vic Fangio; linebackers coach Greg Mattison, a strong candidate because of his ties with Harbaugh and Harbaugh's father, Jack; and secondary coach Chuck Pagano.

Some players hinted it could be Fangio, who has been a defensive coordinator for three NFL teams.

2. What do the Ravens do with their free-agent linebackers?

The Ravens have decent salary cap room, but it's going to be difficult to keep Lewis, Suggs and Scott - all of whom are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents in March.

The best bet is the team retaining Lewis and Suggs, signing one to a multiyear contract and using the franchise tag on the other. But tagging Lewis would be risky because the 10-time Pro Bowl linebacker has his sights on becoming a free agent for the first time.

Scott appears to be the odd man out at this point. The Ravens, though, were able to re-sign Jamie Sharper in 2001 and Adalius Thomas in 2004 when it was considered a long shot to do so.

3. How do the Ravens improve their wide receivers for Flacco?

The free-agent class looks grim. T.J. Houshmandzadeh is the best available, but he isn't the big deep threat the Ravens are coveting. There's a major dropoff from there with the likes of Bobby Engram, Devery Henderson and Shaun McDonald.

If there are no surprising cap cuts, the only way the Ravens can add an experienced and productive receiver is through a trade. The Arizona Cardinals' Anquan Boldin has not hidden his displeasure, arguing with offensive coordinator Todd Haley in the fourth quarter of Sunday's NFC championship game. Boldin, who is signed through 2010, wants a new contract.

And drafting No.27 in the first round, it's unlikely the Ravens will come away with a rookie receiver who will make an immediate impact.

4. Who's under contract but won't be here next season?

There's only one starter who is expected to be cut - cornerback Chris McAlister. After his benching (and subsequent move to injured reserve), McAlister has not been seen in the locker room or at games. It's a divorce that would be welcomed by both sides.

Releasing McAlister would free up $8million in cap space. The Ravens could save more by cutting others - cornerback Samari Rolle (would create $4.1million in cap room), offensive lineman Willie Anderson ($2.9million) or Heap ($1 million) - but all of them currently figure into the team's plans in 2009.

5. Who will start at strong safety: Jim Leonhard or Dawan Landry?

If the Ravens can re-sign Leonhard (he is a free agent), he has to remain the starter. While Landry is more of a hard hitter, Leonhard has proven to be more of a playmaker.

6. Is Willis McGahee in the team's plans for next season?

The Ravens showed they have not given up on McGahee when they handed him the ball 20 times in the AFC championship game. McGahee didn't endear himself to the new coaching staff with his work ethic, but the team is financially committed to him. If the Ravens released him, McGahee would still count $11million against the cap. That means McGahee will be in the Ravens' backfield in 2009.

7. What's the next step for Flacco?

He has to put the team on his back when the running game isn't producing. The Ravens went 2-4 when they were held to fewer than 115 rushing yards. In those games, Flacco struggled as well, throwing four touchdowns and eight interceptions.

8.Who are the biggest injury concerns?

Landry, who suffered a spinal cord concussion in September, has yet to be cleared for contact. Right guard Marshal Yanda has made solid progress since undergoing major knee surgery, but he probably won't be ready to practice until training camp. Nose tackle Kelly Gregg had microfracture surgery on his left knee and likely won't be cleared to return until offseason workouts in May or June.

9. Who is the Ravens' kicker next season?

Matt Stover has been the only field-goal kicker in the Ravens' 13-year existence, but it's not a sure thing he returns. He said he had a positive conversation with the coaching staff, and it appears the Ravens want him back. Still, Harbaugh, a longtime special teams coach, might want to place his own stamp at that position.

10. If George Kokinis is hired as the Cleveland Browns' general manager, who becomes the Ravens' director of pro personnel?

Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome trusts James "Shack" Harris, the former director of pro personnel for the Ravens who recently resigned from the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Ravens, though, have a history of promoting from within. That's why assistant director Vince Newsome (no relation to Ozzie) is the favorite to move into Kokinis' spot.

Sun reporter Edward Lee contributed to this article.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/foot ... ory?page=1
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 930

Post#3 » by kdawg32086 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:52 am

I think we need to re-sign Ray, Terrell, and J-Brown before we think about anything else. Then, we say goodbye to hot sauce. Keep McAlister around for one more year. Draft Darrius Heyward-Bey and Fili Moala on the first day and we're set.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:15 am

What can other teams expect out of McAlister next season?
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by miller31time » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:06 pm

HMFFL wrote:What can other teams expect out of McAlister next season?

A near-shutdown cornerback with questionable health.

I'm mad that we couldn't come to terms with Chris. He has been a staple of this organization for a long, long time.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#6 » by kdawg32086 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:46 am

This sucks. I think now, we almost have to take a cornerback in the first round. The guy loved playing for the Ravens. Alphonso Smith or bust!
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#7 » by jerrod » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:48 pm

i definitely want to see leonhard resigned
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by kdawg32086 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:42 pm

Supposedly Leonhard is going to the Jets....

Could be a big offseason for departures. Ray Lewis to Dallas rumors are heating up. Giants and Jets are both gonna make a hard push for Bart Scott.

On the bright side, Suggs and Jason Brown will probably be back next year. And we had so much depth at LB this year, that it might not hurt as much as people think. I'm a firm believer that both Antwan Barnes and Tavares Gooden can be starters for us. If we lose Ray and Bart, I'd rather see us move these two into starting roles, than draft a linebacker with a high pick.

As far as the draft goes, I think we need a CB in the first round, a wr in the 2nd round, and a dt/de in the 3rd round.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by miller31time » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:22 am

So Marvin Harrison was released today by the Colts.

Any chance we sign him, or is he exactly what we don't need (older receiver with legal problems)?
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#10 » by jerrod » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:51 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:Supposedly Leonhard is going to the Jets....

damn, i thought he was perfect next to ed
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by kdawg32086 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:10 am

I would love to see us pick up Marvin. That way we might be able to hold off to take a WR in a draft with more than one stud WR. Lots of speed, not a lot of superstar potential. Crabtree is special. DHB is all potential. Everyone else is a 50/50 chance of being legit or busting.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by kdawg32086 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:56 am

We just picked up former Maryland standout CB Dominique Foxworth. Now we've got two, young speedsters at the starting CB spots. Looks like our need to draft a CB is gone. My guess for our first rounder is Darrius Heyward-Bey or Hakeem Nicks.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by miller31time » Sun Mar 1, 2009 9:46 pm

Well, Jason Brown was signed by the Rams, and Bart Scott was signed by the Jets.

Also recently, the Ravens asked Rolle to take a pay cut for this upcoming season and he declined. We then put him on the trading block and wanted a 3rd round pick which we didn't get. It doesn't appear that either side looks particularly genial towards the other, and with the signing of Foxworth, I can't see us keeping Rolle.

All that's left for us to do is let Ray go to the Cowboys and we can call this off-season a bust...
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#14 » by kdawg32086 » Mon Mar 2, 2009 5:05 am

I dunno if I'm ready to call it a bust yet.... If we lose Ray, its gonna hurt. Losing Rolle won't be too bad because he wasn't that great anyway. I'm high on Barnes and Gooden. I think either once can come in and make an impact right away, although neither one is Ray Lewis. I'm also really high on this guy Josh Mauga the MLB from Nevada. I think he's gonna be a guy that translates well into the pros, if he is anything like he was during his junior season. 71 tackles in 7 games and showed great vision and the knack for reading plays and then breaking them up. Would be a solid pick in the 3rd round.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by miller31time » Mon Mar 2, 2009 6:48 pm

^^^ I don't know...I think Rolle is an excellent 2nd receiver. He's not the 1st-option he once was but when he's healthy, he's still pretty good and certainly solid enough to start on a consistent basis.

I'm just of the opinion that losing Ray is more than just losing a great defensive player. It's losing the heart, the soul and most importantly, the MIND of the team. With Rex out of town, Ray is the only other player who has a great understanding of both our complicated defensive sets and what opposing teams will throw at us. He also gets everyone else in the game, pumped up and ready to play.

I don't want us to throw a ridiculous salary at him but I believe we need to pay the man what he has earned.

Right now, we need to re-sign Ray, draft a CB and sign a high-profile WR. If we can do that, I'll still call this off-season successful.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by kdawg32086 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 5:50 am

Offseason starting to turn out GREAT. So glad that Lewis is back. Now all we need is a number 1 WR to go with the two #2 Wr's that we already have...
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by miller31time » Thu Mar 5, 2009 6:16 am

TO was just released by the Cowboys.

All I can say is KEEP HIM AWAY FROM BALTIMORE. I don't care how good he is, we don't need any chemistry issues.

(Plus, I just can't root for someone like that)
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#18 » by UTMCretin » Thu Mar 5, 2009 7:30 am

miller31time wrote:KEEP HIM AWAY FROM BALTIMORE

Quoted for good measure. Owens pouts when he doesn't get the ball enough (regardless of whether or not he deserves it), and in an offense that once again promises to focus on the run, there is no doubt in my mind that his inflated ego would find plenty to take exception with.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by miller31time » Mon Mar 9, 2009 11:36 pm

Reports out of Baltimore say Marvin Harrison is working out with the Ravens. No word on if he will sign with us or is just testing the waters, bu it's interesting, never the less.

Though if I had the choice between Holt (who will probably be released) and Harrison, I take Holt every day and twice on sundays.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by miller31time » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:34 am

The Rams have officially released Tory Holt.

Return to Baltimore Ravens