Ravens sign Lewis and Birk

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Ravens sign Lewis and Birk 

Post#1 » by miller31time » Wed Mar 4, 2009 10:04 pm

Per 105.7 SportsTalk Radio in Baltimore....

So the Ravens have officially signed 6-time pro-bowl center Matt Birk and have unofficially signed Ray Lewis.

Terms of the contracts have not been discussed yet.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 930

Re: Ravens sign Lewis and Birk 

Post#2 » by kdawg32086 » Thu Mar 5, 2009 5:41 am

This is GREAT news. I actually think we're a legit Super Bowl contender again. Birk helps strengthen the offensive line and could be vital to the development of Flacco. But getting Ray back makes me happy. Our defense is gonna be SICK this year. Here's to hoping Gooden or Barnes take over for Hot Sauce.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#3 » by jerrod » Thu Mar 5, 2009 4:46 pm

i don't care if ray isn't what he used to be, the sight of him in another jersey would be a little nauseating
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#4 » by UTMCretin » Fri Mar 6, 2009 6:12 am

The Matt Birk deal is apparently for three years, $12 million, with $6 million guaranteed. As far as I'm concerned, that's a damn good deal on a former pro-bowler.

The Ray Lewis deal is also apparently for three years, worth about $22 million total (although those terms are as of now unofficial).
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#5 » by miller31time » Sat Mar 7, 2009 4:05 am

UTMCretin wrote:The Matt Birk deal is apparently for three years, $12 million, with $6 million guaranteed. As far as I'm concerned, that's a damn good deal on a former pro-bowler.

The Ray Lewis deal is also apparently for three years, worth about $22 million total (although those terms are as of now unofficial).

I'm not familiar with NFL contracts as I am with NBA contracts (ie: what's a good contract and what's not, for each position).

Would that potential deal that you say Ray got be "fair" (subjective, I know) taking into account comparable contracts and age?
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#6 » by UTMCretin » Sat Mar 7, 2009 8:40 pm

miller31time wrote:
UTMCretin wrote:The Matt Birk deal is apparently for three years, $12 million, with $6 million guaranteed. As far as I'm concerned, that's a damn good deal on a former pro-bowler.

I'm not familiar with NFL contracts as I am with NBA contracts (ie: what's a good contract and what's not, for each position).

Would that potential deal that you say Ray got be "fair" (subjective, I know) taking into account comparable contracts and age?

I think that ultimately depends on how much of it is guaranteed. And since we probably won't know that until the deal has been made official (although it might leak ahead of time), that question can't really be answered yet. It's definitely a subjective area, though.

Return to Baltimore Ravens