ImageImageImageImageImage

Daily Papers - April 5, 2007

Moderator: JaysRule15

belowtherim
Pro Prospect
And1: 23

Daily Papers - April 5, 2007 

Post#1 » by belowtherim » Thu Apr 5, 2007 11:04 am

Hey guys, I'm playing with the format until I get something I like, let me know what you think.

whosethebosh - PM still doesn't work, on the bright (bad) side it doesn't work for either mods in this forum. I think it's because you're not listed on the staff page, but again I could be wrong. I can PM anyone that is on that page.
Toronto Star

Jays give Tigers serious late scare
By Cathal Kelly
There were timely hits from Alex Rios, Reed Johnson and Lyle Overbay, but the key man in the rally was Tiger Magglio Ordonez. The shaggy right fielder flailed his way through a pair of dodgy fielding plays, capped by a wild stab at a liner driven by pinch-hitter Jason Smith into shallow right. The ball skipped past Ordonez for a three-run triple.

Jays' Burnett ice cold in frigid affair
By Richard Griffin
The inconvenient truth is that Al Gore may be full of it. And, today, Motown will be even colder. Reflecting upon the difficulty of the playing conditions, consider that yesterday's wind chill, in Fahrenheit, and A.J. Burnett's ERA crossed paths at 27. But, you may ask, with skepticism, and rightly so, weren't conditions the same for both sides?

Toronto Sun

Burnett gets rocked
By Mike Rutsey
But in the eighth inning the Jays, trailing 10-2 to the Tigers, started the long climb back as they rebounded for seven runs to bring them to within a run. In both the eighth and ninth they had the tying run on second base but couldn't come up with the final clutch hit and ended up on the losing end of a 10-9 decision.

Tigers put Jays in deep freeze
By Bob Elliott
"It was frigid," said Tigers third baseman Brandon Inge. "I couldn't grip the ball. Every time I see Burnett throw I'm amazed he hasn't won a Cy Young Award. I'd put his slider right there with (Angels') Frankie Rodriguez.

"On a day like this, it's who's going to tough it out."

Tiger tale gone bad
By Bob Elliott
Since then, the Tigers moved less than two miles away to Comerica Park. There have been proposals and suggestions from developers, preservationists and outstanding citizens, but zero progress. So, the grand old dame's light standards reach to the heavens for help, and rots.

"We tried to find a developer, but couldn't get the numbers to work," said Fred Rottach, head of property for the city.

Globe & Mail

Big Jays rally falls just short
By Robert Macleod
Every fly to the outfield seemed to be an adventure. Right field was like a wasteland for the players, who were staggering around trying to judge the flight of balls dancing in the swirling winds.

Blair: Burnett crashes in 'full struggle mode'
By Jeff Blair
Burnett couldn't get an out in the third inning, giving up three runs on two walks and four singles. The other three runs charged to him came when Detroit's Curtis Granderson plunked a grand slam home run off the yellow line atop the right-field fence with Shaun Marcum on the mound.

It was a familiar inning to anybody who saw the Tigers in the American League playoffs last year. Not an easy out in this lineup, top to bottom.

Burnett gets rocked
By Jeff Blair
IMPRESSED: It didn't mean much in the end, but for the second game the middle of the Toronto Blue Jays order was effective. Vernon Wells, Frank Thomas and Troy Glaus have gone 9-for-27 through two games even though Thomas' power stroke is clearly not yet in place. Thomas had two hits in his first nine games last season and is 3-for-9 so far - not a statistically significant survey, but at least it speaks to a better start than 2006. Jason Frasor tossed a workmanlike, quick eighth inning.

National Post

Tigers survive seventh inning surge by Blue Jays for 10-9 victory
By Associated Press
The wind became a factor in the late innings, holding up several pop flies and carrying a handful of seemingly easy outs out of the reach of Ordonez. The forecast for Thursday
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#2 » by OldNo7 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 11:42 am

I like this format a lot.
Twitter: @NickObergan
Da_Big_Ticket21
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Da_Big_Ticket21 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 12:36 pm

Our team definately has alot of offensive firepower. It was awesome to see that we didnt give up after being down 9-0 and were able to make a comeback (not quite a full one thought). Burnett was really shaky but im hoping his upside will outweigh the occasional off games he has. If only Troy glaus hit that ball a little harder :(
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,198

Post#4 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:31 pm

Thanks for the papers. This format looks good with both weather areas covered and the "todays game" section is a nice addition. Maybe you could list the games for the whole league? It doesn't need to be fancy with pictures for every game, but it would be nice to see who is playing around the league.

By the way the sunshine girl is A+
belowtherim
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by belowtherim » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:44 pm

Hmmmm, if I can find a listing of the games somewhere, I'll definitely put them there, but I'll do the pictures for the Jays game (if there is one)
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#6 » by OldNo7 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:52 pm

Go to ESPN.com under MLB and then Scoreboard to see the days games with starting pitchers. Or Yahoo Sports too.
Twitter: @NickObergan
belowtherim
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by belowtherim » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:56 pm

That's not the issue, I want them all listed somewhere so I can just copy and paste. It takes roughly 30-45 minutes to get this stuff ready in the morning (it'd take less if Toronto Star knew how to make a decent website) and copying and pasting individual games could add up
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:57 pm

MLB.com also has all the games with pitchers listed under schedule.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/schedule/index.jsp#20070405
belowtherim
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by belowtherim » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:57 pm

Now that I can use
LittleOzzy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by LittleOzzy » Thu Apr 5, 2007 3:58 pm

Well if it's taking that long don't worry about it. I don't want to add more work to the already great job you are doing.
Ryanz24
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Ryanz24 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 4:06 pm

That's great - you rock

Return to Toronto Blue Jays