ImageImageImage

Trade Idea?

Moderator: HMFFL

DenverDominance
Ballboy
And1: 0

Trade Idea? 

Post#1 » by DenverDominance » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:12 pm

Hey I was just wondering if the Braves had any highly ranked prospects.
If they do how would Todd Helton look in a Braves uniform. :D

Obv this is a stretch but with the way the Rocks are playing dealing Helton is almost a lock.
Lord Commander
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#2 » by Lord Commander » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:52 pm

I'll trade you Aaron Heilman, Scott Schoenweiss, and Mike Carp, our highly touted first base prospect for Tim Hudson. Think JS would go for it? Let's get 'er done! :wink:
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Trade Idea? 

Post#3 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:57 pm

DenverDominance wrote:Hey I was just wondering if the Braves had any highly ranked prospects.
If they do how would Todd Helton look in a Braves uniform. :D

Obv this is a stretch but with the way the Rocks are playing dealing Helton is almost a lock.

We have some, but I'm not giving them up for Helton.
Mardy2Curry
Junior

Post#4 » by Mardy2Curry » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:27 pm

We have Yunel Escobar ripping in AAA .352avg 1hr 10rbi .397obp .500slug and Jarrod Saltalamacchia .373avg 4hr 8rbi .475obp .686slug off the top of my head. But they would be too much for Helton either one included in a package.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:28 pm

Brent Lillibridge is out SS of the future, he's not going anywhere.
Mardy2Curry
Junior

Post#6 » by Mardy2Curry » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:29 pm

It would be a good fit to get Helton but would ownership even want his contract.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#7 » by HMFFL » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:09 am

Theres not a chance we even consider trading for Todd Helton. We might not even resign AJ, so I don't see how we add a contract like Todd's, and I would prefer us to add pitching.
KB 34
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#8 » by KB 34 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:56 am

The Braves payroll is tight without adding another big contract in Helton. Hudson's contract jumps from $6 M to $13 M next year, Hampton will still be $8 M, Smoltz will probably cost $10 M to keep, Chipper gets $11 M (if I remember right), $7.3 M for Renteria, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other significant salaries off the top of my head. The only way the Braves add a big salary this year is if it's an expiring deal and Hampton's insurance money is very large. As far as Helton specifically, I'd rather have Thorman with Salty waiting in the wings than a steadily declining veteran with a huge contract and Colorado's number padding.
DenverDominance
Ballboy

Post#9 » by DenverDominance » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:53 pm

KB 34 wrote:The Braves payroll is tight without adding another big contract in Helton. Hudson's contract jumps from $6 M to $13 M next year, Hampton will still be $8 M, Smoltz will probably cost $10 M to keep, Chipper gets $11 M (if I remember right), $7.3 M for Renteria, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other significant salaries off the top of my head. The only way the Braves add a big salary this year is if it's an expiring deal and Hampton's insurance money is very large. As far as Helton specifically, I'd rather have Thorman with Salty waiting in the wings than a steadily declining veteran with a huge contract and Colorado's number padding.

I cant believe you think Thorman and Salty are better the Todd Helton!!!
And Helton is not declining last year was his worst year and he still hit .300. Plus he contacted a stomach virus which caused him to lose 25 pounds last year. Hes added that weight back and he is off to a great start this year. Hes probably gonna hit .320 20 HR 100 RBI, not sure the Braves are gonna get that from Thorman.
Mardy2Curry
Junior

Post#10 » by Mardy2Curry » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:21 pm

DenverDominance wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I cant believe you think Thorman and Salty are better the Todd Helton!!!
And Helton is not declining last year was his worst year and he still hit .300. Plus he contacted a stomach virus which caused him to lose 25 pounds last year. Hes added that weight back and he is off to a great start this year. Hes probably gonna hit .320 20 HR 100 RBI, not sure the Braves are gonna get that from Thorman.

Definitely won't get that from Thorman and Wilson combined, but what I think he's getting at is right we're not sure if we're going to have the funds available to resign AJ. So why bring in another big contract that would jeopardize us resigning him plus we could liev with Thorman til Salty is ready probably next season, cuz at the rate he's going already he'll be in triple-a by seasons ends. Might even be a late season call up when the rosters expand.
KB 34
Sophomore

Post#11 » by KB 34 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:30 am

Are Thorman and Salty better than Helton is today? No, but building a winning franchise requires realizing who fits well now and later and who doesn't. Even if last year was a fluke for Helton, he's still 33 years old and at the point where injuries begin to become a greater concern. I don't think many people fully realize how bad the Braves payroll has been slashed over the past few years. it's $80 mil now and I fully expect it to stay the same or go down slightly when Liberty takes over the Braves. Now let's look at how Helton's contract would fit in. From what I just read he gets $16.1 mil each year from 2007-2010, $19.1 mil in 2011, and a whopping $23 mil or a $4.3 mil buyout in 2012. (stupid backloaded contract)
If the Braves were to trade for him, here's what they'd be looking at next year alone, before even more of Helton's contract kicks in when he's even older
Helton=$16.1 M
Hampton=$8 M
Hudson=$13 M
Chipper=$11 M
Renteria=$7.3 M
Right there the Braves would be at $55.4 M and that's 5 players alone. Add in arbitration and it's impossible to put a decent team together. Heck, that's not including Andruw or Smoltz even. My conclusion is that unless the Rockies want to pick up all but $7 M of Helton's contract each year, forget about it.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by lpsevier » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:11 pm

The point is, the trade would never happen from a contractual perception.
Mardy2Curry
Junior

Post#13 » by Mardy2Curry » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:00 pm

This is just a hunch, how bout trying to bring back Odalis Perez. He's making $7.5M this season but becomes a FA after this season. He'll be 30 in June, I know he's been having some rough years especially the last two but he's a lefty in his prime that didn't do bad in his years in Atlanta he was 21 while there. Doesn't hurt as long as you don't give up too much.
KB 34
Sophomore

Post#14 » by KB 34 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:13 am

Perez is going to get a ton of money because he's a lefty starter and the current market has GMs overpaying for lefties (see the Mariners acquiring the terrible Horacio Ramirez for Rafael Soriano). I'd much rather give Harrison a shot and make sure Smoltz comes back.
Smoltz
Hudson
James
Davies/????
Harrison
(Hampton won't be able to come back I'm 95% sure)

Return to Atlanta Braves