Offseason Needs Thread

Moderator: JDR720

penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Offseason Needs Thread 

Post#1 » by penquin11 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:25 am

Positions of Need (in order of urgency)

1. Defensive Tackle: This year our D-line was atrocious, and while I am content with our Ends (by the way Keiser was pretty darn effective last year) our interior D got bullied around specifically on runs.

2. Wide Receiver: I know that everyone thinks Steve Smith is great and all and he really is a great player, but in redzone situations he was a nonfactor most of the time because of his size. If we were to go out and grab a talented WR who is 6'1 or taller it would work wonders for Cams TD total.

3. Defensive Back: Chris Gamble was busy shutting down some of the leagues top WR's this year, unfortunately the rest of the Panthers backs werent doing so well. Captain is a great special teams player who can make great tackles and such but he doesnt have the size or speed necessary to really be relied on as a 2nd or even 3rd corner. Furthermore our safeties might as well have missed the season as they were constantly non-factors. Charles Godfrey was TERRIBLE versus the run and struggled when forced into man to man cover situations and Sherrod Martin played so badly that i doubt he will be on the team next year. We cant expect to win games when we give up close to 9 yards a pass!

4. OLB/ILB: Next year I am praying that we switch to a 3-4 base D, that stated unless we can retain Connor we will be short at the ILB, and OLB positions. Currently I think we all know that Thomas Davis is done after missing his 3rd consecutive year in a row, I am concerned about Beason as well but I am sure he will be fine. That stated we need to pick up a good blitzing OLB to replace Davis and perhaps a ILB to compliment Beason. If we have a shot at picking up a ILB in FA Larry Grant would be PERFECT, but grabbing him would be difficult.

5. A new special teams unit: we need a new Kicker as Mare was TERRIBLE this year, I mean absolutely horrible... Also we should look for better return support and in general better special teams coverage.... We all have seen how much special teams can change games as we lost a handful of games because of special teams failures. Not to mention the reason why the 49ers and Ravens lost their respective games.....

6. QB: We need a packup plan. Simply put Cam runs the ball enough that there is extra risk of injury to him and while im sure Jimmy Clausen has gotten better I still would rather see us grab a solid backup...
------------------
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Re: Offseason Needs Thread 

Post#2 » by ohara » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:22 pm

I agree with everything you said above, but I may make 1 critical change. Although our DT position was really weak, you have to remember that we signed Ron Edwards to anchor the spot and then he tore the pec muscle and was lost for the year. He'll be back. The 2 Rookies Fua and McClain did an admirable job as Rookies and will improve with an entire year of play under their belts. And Neblett was not bad for the playing time he received.

I think I might consider your #2, #3 and #4 as my #1, #2 and #3. I think I put DT position at #4. Think we can live with Mare as PK, but definitely look for a replacement. And I think you are correct that they will likely look for a backup QB in the late draft. Would dearly love to see OK State's Weeden last till Round 5 or 6, but not sure we get that lucky. Think we cut Jimmy loose in training camp. Think we keep Derek Anderson around.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by penquin11 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Yes but Ron Edwards is ancient, and while Fua and McClain looked good at times in the 4-3 only Fua is a true NT, and his penetration versus the run needs improvement!
Also in terms of WR I would rather wait till we can grab Sammy Watkins rather then grabbing say Ashlon Jeffery as he reminds me of Brandon Lafell 2.0(tall guy who makes great catches but lacks speed), and Justin Blackmon is set to go too high and also isnt a burner. Unless we trade back for a couple of draft picks the WR we would want is not in this draft (Floyd is the best in the draft).

Now in terms of Later WR talent this draft is stacked. I love Ryan Broyles and think it would be great to pick him up, he is often overlooked despite being a great player and hard worker. Also my man Brian Quick who is coming out of my college App State is literally the most athletic WR or maybe even player in the ENTIRE draft. At 6'5 (205 ILBs?) Brian is a MONSTER on the field he towers over his matchups and posses insanely good hands, his leaping ability is incredible and he lives up to his last name in terms of speed. Better yet I already know that the Panthers are scouting him (silly scouts). I would actually rather the Panthers grab Quick then draft a 1st round WR, and since Quick is currently projected to go in the bottom of the 3rd (literally the last pick of the 3rd) he would be a great mid-round steal for us in the 3rd.

Now while Weeden can make every pass in football his decision making is just not there. In a backup QB you literally want a game manager, a guy who can come in and NOT lose you games, which is not who Weeden is.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by penquin11 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:27 pm

Also guys thought I should mention that Chud is returning next year, which is good cause Newtons throws were off tilt during the pro-bowl (but then he would have some crazy good throws) then again he was matched up against the best CB, 2nd best CB, best FS, and best SS in the league... (Derrel Revis, Champ Bailey, Ed Reed, Palamolu)
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#5 » by Jaruff » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:50 pm

I think Ron Edwards and the crew will be fine at DT this year. I just don't see any killer guys at the top who we should take over other players. If we're considering a DT at say round four (we don't have a three because of the Olsen deal), I don't see how that's an improvement on the guys we took last year.

I do, however, expect most of our picks to be defensive. I also expect to see more San Diego retreads brought in via free agency. I would love for us to take Melvin Ingram in the first round, just as we can have a guy that could play OLB, DE, and DT. Follow up with a DB in the second round. I can see us trading that second rounder to get another first though.

I doubt we take a QB unless Hurney just wants someone in the late rounds. Pretty much a wasted pick unless we find a taker for Clausen.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,322

Post#6 » by amcoolio » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Defense starts with rushing the passer. Hardy is not an everydown DE and is more suited to a backup role. So basically what we need is Von Miller/Aldon Smith. Probably isn't one in the first round this year, so just draft best player available thats not a QB or RB.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by penquin11 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:20 pm

yeah but we do need a #2 CB and a good FS.... both of which are in this draft.
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by penquin11 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:27 pm

prospects I like for the Panthers: in no particular order
1. morris claiborne
2. vinny curry
3. brian quick
4. vontaze burfict
5. nick perry
tbc
Jaruff
RealGM
And1: 16

Post#9 » by Jaruff » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 pm

amcoolio wrote:Defense starts with rushing the passer. Hardy is not an everydown DE and is more suited to a backup role. So basically what we need is Von Miller/Aldon Smith. Probably isn't one in the first round this year, so just draft best player available thats not a QB or RB.

I think Ingram fits that role if he brings his weight down some, which he can do. Many people don't realize he was recruited to SC as a ATH/RB and was 50-60 pounds lighter than he is now. That's why he's so damn fast and that's the kind of pass rushing we could use on the corner. He's also not much of a reach at eight or nine and I think he's better than the DT prospects at the top.

I'm not really excited about the prospect of drafting another LB so early. We have terrible luck with top LB's staying healthy.

penquin11 wrote:yeah but we do need a #2 CB and a good FS.... both of which are in this draft.

There's also free agency. Last thing we need on defense is more inexperience in the backfield. I'll throw a name out there: Tim Jennings. I'd much rather pay someone like him than bringing in yet another inexperienced corner to pair with Gamble.
Kwame Brown Fan Club | Free Gilbert Arenas
penquin11
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by penquin11 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Tim Jennings is identical to Captain... same size, same play style. The difference lies in Jennings finding success in a bears scheme that fits his strengths he would not have the same success on the Panthers. If we are going to try to grab any corners in FA it will likely either be Marshall or Porter....

Return to Carolina Panthers