Moderator: chitownsports4ever

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Re: Bears v Panthers Week 7 

Post#41 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:34 am

fleet wrote:
transplant wrote:Overall, it wasn't pretty, but once they got up 14, some level of conservatism made sense and to their credit, the O didn't screw the pooch. For a team like the Bears, any win is a good win.

Before his 1st game I was talking about the Orton game plan. This makes sense about the lead. But putting the offense in a hole on 3rd down intentionally is still pretty extreme. 3 and out every single possesion and go play defense, goodness gracious. Mike Glennon could execute this plan. I don't know why we went to Trubisky if this was the idea.

Well Glennon didn't execute this plan actually lol. He kept fumbling the ball or throwing picks.

I think since the defense was playing so well and taking care of putting points on the board, they went extra conservative. I do think they will run a lot next game as well since the Saints defense isn't all that great (they allow 5 yard per carry on the ground), but I will be pleasantly surprised if the defense is able to do the same damage as they didn't against the Panthers and Ravens. They will have to open up the play book more I would think.

As for Mitch, I still think he's learning by just being out there. Seeing what defenses throw at him, and how to call a game.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,703

Post#42 » by fleet » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:39 am

Glennon was attempting a good amount more passes. I think the first time the extreme Orton plan was used was in that Steelers overtime game that the Bears won with Glennon. They gave him more freedom again after that and he screwed it up. They play Mitch like he has no ability. I do understand the rationale used as to why they do what they do. No receivers. No experience in college, etc. But I still don't know why they made the change seeing what I'm seeing. All they had to do was shut Glennon down from dropping back, give the ball to the Indiana tailback and keep Glennon out there. Glennon is able to give the ball to Howard for off tackle left, off tackle right on 1st and second down pretty good.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#43 » by City of Trees » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:44 pm

Bears got the win with their QB completing 4 passes. Last time something like that happened was in 2012 with Tim Tebow in Denver, John Fox was the coach. Time before that? 2006 (I think) Wienke in Carolina. Yep you guessed it Fox was the coach

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#44 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:32 am

fleet wrote:Glennon was attempting a good amount more passes. I think the first time the extreme Orton plan was used was in that Steelers overtime game that the Bears won with Glennon. They gave him more freedom again after that and he screwed it up. They play Mitch like he has no ability. I do understand the rationale used as to why they do what they do. No receivers. No experience in college, etc. But I still don't know why they made the change seeing what I'm seeing. All they had to do was shut Glennon down from dropping back, give the ball to the Indiana tailback and keep Glennon out there. Glennon is able to give the ball to Howard for off tackle left, off tackle right on 1st and second down pretty good.

I think if they are working up to giving Mitchell more passing this season I'm fine with it.

Again, it's still beneficial to have him out there than sitting on the bench.

We'll see what happens in the coming weeks and if they expand his responsibilities. I think for the most part, they are doing what the game dictates. I suspect in games the defense doesn't give them a lead, they won't be throwing the ball much. Next week I think will be different and more like the Vikings game.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,960

Post#45 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:08 am

fleet wrote:Glennon was attempting a good amount more passes. I think the first time the extreme Orton plan was used was in that Steelers overtime game that the Bears won with Glennon. They gave him more freedom again after that and he screwed it up. They play Mitch like he has no ability. I do understand the rationale used as to why they do what they do. No receivers. No experience in college, etc. But I still don't know why they made the change seeing what I'm seeing. All they had to do was shut Glennon down from dropping back, give the ball to the Indiana tailback and keep Glennon out there. Glennon is able to give the ball to Howard for off tackle left, off tackle right on 1st and second down pretty good.

Orton got such a raw deal his rookie year lol

I think in this situations the receivers have a lot to do with it . They seem to be struggling in their development as well. We have young players at key positions and I think the really need the bye week . I expect Loggains to open it up after the bye which is why they brought in a guy who can actually play on the outside and is not just a burner. You add him to Wright and Wheaton and maybe you give Mitch someone to throw too.

This whole thing makes the handling of the Alshon Jeffrey situation look even worse
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: Bears v Panthers Week 7 

Post#46 » by City of Trees » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:15 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:This whole thing makes the handling of the Alshon Jeffrey situation look even worse

The often injured Jeffery was asking for a ridiculous amount of money that NO team in the league agreed to pay him. He ends up taking a 1-year prove it deal with a team who already had a QB. Not sure how the mishandled here? Its not like the Bears didnt make an offer.

chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 am

City of Trees wrote:
chitownsports4ever wrote:This whole thing makes the handling of the Alshon Jeffrey situation look even worse

The often injured Jeffery was asking for a ridiculous amount of money that NO team in the league agreed to pay him. He ends up taking a 1-year prove it deal with a team who already had a QB. Not sure how the mishandled here? Its not like the Bears didnt make an offer.

Jeffrey is still a #1 receiver claiming that no one else would pay it so that makes it okay is suggesting that every team in the league actually had both money and need which is 100% false.

After getting rid of all the other Bears offensive weapons there is no reason that a new contract for a 24 year old pro bowl wideout turned into what it was . Pace drafted white as leverage and its all blown up in his face . You know what no other team in the league would've done had a 24 year old pro bowl wide out and then let him walk for nothing and no replacement and leave the team in current state at wide receiver .

2 summers ago the Lions gave Marvin Jones Jr . 5 years 40 million

We franchised Jeffrey for 14.5

Allen Hurns got a 4 yr 40 million extension from the jaguars

the next offseason we let jeffrey walk

We signed Glennon for 16 million a year

We paid Wheaton 7 million guaranteed

Pace should've and could've easily resigned for top 3 receiver money and front loaded that contract as the space and market dictated it . Everyone knows receivers are prima-donnas and want love all the time its just the nature of the position.

With all that said Pace couldve franchised Jeffrey a second time for that 17 million . Do you think that this season Jeffrey presence would've been worth the extra 3 million or some he would've been getting for this season ? I do
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears v Panthers Week 7 

Post#48 » by City of Trees » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:46 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

Jeffrey is still a #1 receiver claiming that no one else would pay it so that makes it okay is suggesting that every team in the league actually had both money and need which is 100% false.

After getting rid of all the other Bears offensive weapons there is no reason that a new contract for a 24 year old pro bowl wideout turned into what it was . Pace drafted white as leverage and its all blown up in his face . You know what no other team in the league would've done had a 24 year old pro bowl wide out and then let him walk for nothing and no replacement and leave the team in current state at wide receiver .

2 summers ago the Lions gave Marvin Jones Jr . 5 years 40 million

We franchised Jeffrey for 14.5

Allen Hurns got a 4 yr 40 million extension from the jaguars

the next offseason we let jeffrey walk

We signed Glennon for 16 million a year

We paid Wheaton 7 million guaranteed

Pace should've and could've easily resigned for top 3 receiver money and front loaded that contract as the space and market dictated it . Everyone knows receivers are prima-donnas and want love all the time its just the nature of the position.

With all that said Pace couldve franchised Jeffrey a second time for that 17 million . Do you think that this season Jeffrey presence would've been worth the extra 3 million or some he would've been getting for this season ? I do

Yes it sucks the WR group got the injury bug and is a straight dumpster fire right now but Jeffery's production is nowhere near $17M per season.

Wheaton has been a dissapointment thus far but his current role is not one the Bears had in mind when signing him. Thats like criticizing a FA nickleback for struggling playing CB1. So, for me the jury is still out on Wheaton's $7M.

Jeffery missed 11 games in his last two season in Chicago. Also his last two seasons production wise are identical to new Bears WR Inman's 2017 season. Jeffery isnt a $17M man.

He hasnt even sniffed 100 yards yet this season.

chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears v Panthers Week 7 

Post#49 » by chitownsports4ever » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:50 am

City of Trees wrote:
Yes it sucks the WR group got the injury bug and is a straight dumpster fire right now but Jeffery's production is nowhere near $17M per season.

Wheaton has been a dissapointment thus far but his current role is not one the Bears had in mind when signing him. Thats like criticizing a FA nickleback for struggling playing CB1. So, for me the jury is still out on Wheaton's $7M.

Jeffery missed 11 games in his last two season in Chicago. Also his last two seasons production wise are identical to new Bears WR Inman's 2017 season. Jeffery isnt a $17M man.

He hasnt even sniffed 100 yards yet this season.

No receiver in the league is gonna ever give 17 million worth of production

But id rather pay a receiver 17 million for 12-13 million production for a 1 season or 2 then pay a bunch of cheaper guys for ZERO production .

Jeffrey had injuries but hes still one of the best receivers in the league and coincidentally hasnt missed any games in Philly .

Jeffrey had injuries 2 seasons ago last year he missed 4 games due to that PED suspension but started and played in all 12 of the other games . The last 2 years he has caught 50+ ball and 800+ yards and 2 tds which is well on pace for a good season if he played in all 12 so its hard to compare Inmans best EVER 12 games to Jeffreys shortened season .

He doesnt have a 100 yards but hes still impacting the game and helping his team win because he still draws double coverage and that has opened up the field for Ertz and Agholor who is having a career year so far opposite Jeffrey . You look at the numbers and both are at the top of the td and yardage lists and the eagles are absolute thrilled with jeffrey because he has done exactly what they hoped which is stretch and open up the field and force defense to role coverage to him .

Guess what the Bears are missing ? a receiver who can stretch the field and force defenses to scheme for him and open things up for everyone else . He is what kept teams from stacking the box last year and Meredith's biggest games were all opposite of jeffrey because of these reasons and now we will have to go out and probably overpay for someone to do it next year.

Im not touting Alshon for MVP but there is simply no way we should be in this situation
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#50 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 am

Didn't pace offer Alshon a good contract (around 12 mill a year)?

I'm thinking Alshon should fire his agent, because he's not going to sniff that much money next off-season.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#51 » by City of Trees » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:52 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:Didn't pace offer Alshon a good contract (around 12 mill a year)?

I'm thinking Alshon should fire his agent, because he's not going to sniff that much money next off-season.

Yes the Bears offered him a **** ton of money, he was unrealistic and wanted a huge overpay. Even the Eagles who obviously had the cap space and a need for WR1 didn't commit that long term money to him. Its crazy to slam Pace for opting NOT to overpay a WR with a history of missing games when his WR2 is even more injury prone... But I'm confident the same guys blasting Pace for letting AJ walk would be the same guys blasting Pace when AJ and White miss games at the same time due to injury.

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#52 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Anquan Boldin is looking to make a comeback.

Bills are giving him permission to seek a trade. Bears should definitely inquire about him.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by chitownsports4ever » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:48 am

City of Trees wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Didn't pace offer Alshon a good contract (around 12 mill a year)?

Yes the Bears offered him a **** ton of money, he was unrealistic and wanted a huge overpay. Even the Eagles who obviously had the cap space and a need for WR1 didn't commit that long term money to him. Its crazy to slam Pace for opting NOT to overpay a WR with a history of missing games when his WR2 is even more injury prone... But I'm confident the same guys blasting Pace for letting AJ walk would be the same guys blasting Pace when AJ and White miss games at the same time due to injury.

Its crazy to slam pace for not paying for one of the best wideouts in the league when we now have none ?

It wasnt an overpay considering the market and talent level of the players involved

So now Alshon is like White despite even though only missing games last year due to suspension and hasnt missed any this year ?

As I said we couldve franchised Alshon gain and the fact that we didnt is ridiculous because whether or not he got a longterm contract is irrelevant we had the same option to have him on a one year deal and we passed and now we dont have anyone even serviceable . The fact is he walked over to Philly and is the #1 receiver on the team with the best record in the league.

Now next year we are gonna have to go out and overpay anyway for someone we hope can do what Alshon does.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#54 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:39 am

City of Trees wrote:

Its crazy to slam pace for not paying for one of the best wideouts in the league when we now have none ?

It wasnt an overpay considering the market and talent level of the players involved

So now Alshon is like White despite even though only missing games last year due to suspension and hasnt missed any this year ?

As I said we couldve franchised Alshon gain and the fact that we didnt is ridiculous because whether or not he got a longterm contract is irrelevant we had the same option to have him on a one year deal and we passed and now we dont have anyone even serviceable . The fact is he walked over to Philly and is the #1 receiver on the team with the best record in the league.

Now next year we are gonna have to go out and overpay anyway for someone we hope can do what Alshon does.

I don't blame Pace for letting Alshon walk. He sat out a lot of games where the team actually questioned his commitment and then that drug suspension was bad.

Where he screwed up was not addressing the WR position in FA when he did let Alshon walk. At the time I was very disappointed that they didn't make a run at a guy like Terrell Pryor who was only signed for like 8 mil at one year. And of course, he didn't draft a WR either.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#55 » by chitownsports4ever » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:38 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:I don't blame Pace for letting Alshon walk. He sat out a lot of games where the team actually questioned his commitment and then that drug suspension was bad.

Where he screwed up was not addressing the WR position in FA when he did let Alshon walk. At the time I was very disappointed that they didn't make a run at a guy like Terrell Pryor who was only signed for like 8 mil at one year. And of course, he didn't draft a WR either.

But thats why Pace does deserve blame because its not just letting Alshon walk its everything surrounding the wideout position in addition him allowing Alshon to walk on this season .

We had him under contract there is a reason the Steelers havent waived Bryant despite some fans believing hes not worth a pick and the Redskins tagged Cousins TWICE despite not believing hes worth a big contract

Pace's plans at wideout have basically blown up in his face

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/03/01/bears-gm-ryan-pace-on-alshon-jeffery-sometimes-its-necessary-to-test-the-market/

Tagging Jeffery two years in a row “wasn’t really an option for us,” Pace said. With the Bears potentially losing Jeffery when the new league year begins next week, Pace is preparing his contingency plans.

“There’s options in free agency, there’s options in the draft. We’ll see how things play out,” he said.

“We have plans in place for every one of those scenarios.”
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#56 » by Susan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:13 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Yes the Bears offered him a **** ton of money, he was unrealistic and wanted a huge overpay. Even the Eagles who obviously had the cap space and a need for WR1 didn't commit that long term money to him. Its crazy to slam Pace for opting NOT to overpay a WR with a history of missing games when his WR2 is even more injury prone... But I'm confident the same guys blasting Pace for letting AJ walk would be the same guys blasting Pace when AJ and White miss games at the same time due to injury.

I don't blame Pace for letting Alshon walk. He sat out a lot of games where the team actually questioned his commitment and then that drug suspension was bad.

I mean, Pryor has given the Redskins nothing at all.

We need to find Wheaton and get him going. Wheaton + Inman + Wright is a step above what we currently got. Not trying to say that this is an elite group by any means but they're something.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#57 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:58 pm

Susan wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

We need to find Wheaton and get him going. Wheaton + Inman + Wright is a step above what we currently got. Not trying to say that this is an elite group by any means but they're something.

He's bee better than Wheaton, he's more talented, and isn't injured.
Truebiscuit
Sixth Man
And1: 1,005

Post#58 » by Truebiscuit » Fri Nov 3, 2017 4:11 pm

Susan wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

Wheaton is literally a walking injury. I mean he's been here for what, 5 months? He's managed to have emergency appendix surgery, break a finger, and now tear a groin in practice :lol:

Good riddance with that dude.
Working on becoming Titletown:
Bears - 9
Bulls - 6
Blackhawks - 6
Cubs - 3
White Sox - nobody cares :D

Return to Chicago Bears