Image Image Image Image

Coaching search

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,131

Re: Coaching search 

Post#21 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 1, 2018 7:35 pm

Kinda disappointed Pat Shurmer isn’t being mentioned. He’s scheduled t interview with the cardinals along with the Panthers D coordinator. Really there’s a lot of great candidates.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#22 » by Red Larrivee » Mon Jan 1, 2018 8:27 pm

I don't like the coaching pool. It's going to be interesting to see who the Final 2-3 candidates are. I'm not sure I have 2-3 coaches I like. Most of them have failed big elsewhere already (McDaniels, DeFilippo, Shumur, Schwartz).

Pete Carmichael and Dave Toub are interesting, though.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#23 » by transplant » Mon Jan 1, 2018 9:08 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:I don't like the coaching pool. It's going to be interesting to see who the Final 2-3 candidates are. I'm not sure I have 2-3 coaches I like. Most of them have failed big elsewhere already (McDaniels, DeFilippo, Shumur, Schwartz).

I'm with you in terms of being very itchy about the names that are out there. Pace's future is inextricably linked to Trubisky and his upcoming HC decision. Toub is interesting, but given that he's never been anything other than a ST coach, he's gotta be considered a longshot. Every offensive HC candidate has holes and/or skeletons in his resume. In the end, we need to trust Pace's judgement. I like Pace, but can't say I have unshakable trust in him.

Jeez, I hope this works out.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#24 » by Susan » Mon Jan 1, 2018 9:25 pm

transplant wrote:If the Bears, as most seem to expect, go with an offensive guy, I sure would like one who was THE top offensive mind and offensive play caller for his current team. From what I know or have read, neither Reich (OC) nor Di Filippo (QB Coach) calls the plays for the Eagles (HC Doug Pederson does). Nagy wasn't calling plays for the Chiefs until early December when HC Andy Reid relinquished these duties to Nagy. In the 5 games since then, the Chiefs offense has played well, but that's not exactly an established track record. Carmichael Jr. called offensive plays for the Saints in the 2012 season when HC Sean Payton was suspended, but otherwise Payton has handled these duties (on the plus side, the Saints had the 3rd ranked offense in 2012).

McDaniels is generally acknowledged as a great offensive mind. Belichick's background is on the defensive side of the ball. McDaniels runs the Patriots offense (with the help of arguably the greatest QB ever). If McDaniels had never been the Broncos HC for 1+ seasons (he was fired after the 12th game of his second season in Denver), he'd be the absolute ideal no-brainer HC candidate available. Unfortunately, it's hard to ignore the fact that when he took the Denver job in 2009, the then 33 year old McDaniels was a total asshat who somehow managed to alienate nearly every football executive, player and fan in the Mountain time zone. Still, that was 9 years ago and presumably McDaniels has matured at least a little.

Gimme McDaniels.

Carmichael called the plays last year I believe.

I'm most anti-McDaniels out of everybody. I think he's going to come in wanting to have a say in the personnel decisions and he was very bad at that in Denver. I mean, the dude wanted to spend big money on Cassel and was willing to trade away a young Jay Cutler to do it. Say what you want about Jay, if he had the right support system in Denver he could have been really good. Cassel was 100% a product of Bill B and Randy Moss at that time.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,129

Post#25 » by NZB2323 » Mon Jan 1, 2018 9:35 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:I don't like the coaching pool. It's going to be interesting to see who the Final 2-3 candidates are. I'm not sure I have 2-3 coaches I like. Most of them have failed big elsewhere already (McDaniels, DeFilippo, Shumur, Schwartz).

Bill Belichek failed big in Cleveland.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,103

Post#26 » by Chi town » Mon Jan 1, 2018 9:40 pm

Give me Flip... DeFelippo.

Www.dabearsblog.com
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,131

Post#27 » by patryk7754 » Mon Jan 1, 2018 9:52 pm

Most first time HC fail. And when they come back to HC for their secone stint they usually succeed.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,103

Post#28 » by Chi town » Mon Jan 1, 2018 10:14 pm

patryk7754 wrote:

Most first time HC fail. And when they come back to HC for their secone stint they usually succeed.

TRUE no thanks to MCd though
Susan
RealGM

Post#29 » by Susan » Mon Jan 1, 2018 10:26 pm

NZB2323 wrote:

Bill Belichek failed big in Cleveland.

Big?

Check out the 95 Browns episode on the NFL Network. They moved the team in his final year there. They were 11-5 in the previous season and started that year 3-1 before they announced they were moving after starting 4-5. They'd go on to win 1 more game and move to Baltimore.
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#30 » by heir_jordan22 » Mon Jan 1, 2018 10:48 pm

Axxo wrote:
transplant wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:Got a bleacher report notification saying the bears are currently pursuing McDaniels, Carmicheal, and Reich with McDaniels being the top guy

CBS Sports says it's McDaniels, Chiefs' Matt Nagy and Eagles John DeFilippo.

Probably all of them then. Those are all good choices.

McDaniels and Carmichael are hot names. I think there are more concerns with Reich, Defilippo and Nagy. Bears might be trying to position themselves to park Reich and Defilippo together, or Toub and Nagy.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,960

Post#31 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Jan 1, 2018 11:40 pm

I dont see Mcdaniels choosing the bears as his second stint . We have nothing to offer him to accept that risk.

Carmichael simply because hes the most likely to be convinced of Pace's plan actually working .

We need someone that can finish building a team first and foremost and he can be paired with a OC that can further develop Mitch but to simply be looking for a HC that cant develop a whole team is how we ended up with Trestman .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#32 » by City of Trees » Tue Jan 2, 2018 1:38 am

Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#33 » by Axxo » Tue Jan 2, 2018 2:06 am

heir_jordan22 wrote:
Axxo wrote:
transplant wrote:CBS Sports says it's McDaniels, Chiefs' Matt Nagy and Eagles John DeFilippo.

Probably all of them then. Those are all good choices.

McDaniels and Carmichael are hot names. I think there are more concerns with Reich, Defilippo and Nagy. Bears might be trying to position themselves to park Reich and Defilippo together, or Toub and Nagy.

Whoever it ends up being has to be someone who can command a lockeroom. A good OC and QB coach can develop the QB/free up the offense.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#34 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:00 am

I think Carmichael would be good.

Defilippo imo isn't a bad option.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#35 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:04 am

Susan wrote:
transplant wrote:If the Bears, as most seem to expect, go with an offensive guy, I sure would like one who was THE top offensive mind and offensive play caller for his current team. From what I know or have read, neither Reich (OC) nor Di Filippo (QB Coach) calls the plays for the Eagles (HC Doug Pederson does). Nagy wasn't calling plays for the Chiefs until early December when HC Andy Reid relinquished these duties to Nagy. In the 5 games since then, the Chiefs offense has played well, but that's not exactly an established track record. Carmichael Jr. called offensive plays for the Saints in the 2012 season when HC Sean Payton was suspended, but otherwise Payton has handled these duties (on the plus side, the Saints had the 3rd ranked offense in 2012).

McDaniels is generally acknowledged as a great offensive mind. Belichick's background is on the defensive side of the ball. McDaniels runs the Patriots offense (with the help of arguably the greatest QB ever). If McDaniels had never been the Broncos HC for 1+ seasons (he was fired after the 12th game of his second season in Denver), he'd be the absolute ideal no-brainer HC candidate available. Unfortunately, it's hard to ignore the fact that when he took the Denver job in 2009, the then 33 year old McDaniels was a total asshat who somehow managed to alienate nearly every football executive, player and fan in the Mountain time zone. Still, that was 9 years ago and presumably McDaniels has matured at least a little.

Gimme McDaniels.

Carmichael called the plays last year I believe.

I'm most anti-McDaniels out of everybody. I think he's going to come in wanting to have a say in the personnel decisions and he was very bad at that in Denver. I mean, the dude wanted to spend big money on Cassel and was willing to trade away a young Jay Cutler to do it. Say what you want about Jay, if he had the right support system in Denver he could have been really good. Cassel was 100% a product of Bill B and Randy Moss at that time.

Luckily it seems like McDaniels will not want to go to a place that doesn't have his own gm.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#36 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:08 am

Didn't Pete Carrol struggle in his first stint?
Susan
RealGM

Post#37 » by Susan » Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:59 am

RedBulls23 wrote:Didn't Pete Carrol struggle in his first stint?

Pats went:

1997: 10-6
1998: 9-7
1999: 8-8

He also coached the Jets in 1994 to a 6-10 record.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#38 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:00 am

NZB2323 wrote:Bill Belichek failed big in Cleveland.

He took a 3-win Browns team and built them up to 11 wins. I doubt anyone saw this type of success coming though. I guess my point isn't that a retread can't succeed. It's just that they're not that exciting.

It's why Pete Carmichael is at least interesting. He has a long history of big offensive results and working with Brees and Payton. He's been able to get a lot out of so many different players in his run with New Orleans, and it shows an impressive ability to adapt and reinvent.
Susan
RealGM

Post#39 » by Susan » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:22 am

Here's my list of guys I'd be happy with (without really knowing anything):

Jim Harbuagh - QB to Head Coach. Not much more you can say. I just like the guy.

Pete Carmichael - Cohesion and offensive ability. Working relationship with Pace makes sense.

Matt Patricia - Got his BS from RIT in Aeronautical Engineering, played offensive line in college, coached both offense and defense for Belicheck over the past 12 years. Super impressive.

Pat Shurmur - Previous head coach. Got the Vikings offense rolling, started Colt McCoy for the Browns with TERRIBLE talent there and won some games. Won 5 more games with Brandon Weedon the next year. Outside of rookie Josh Gordon in his last year, that team had zero NFL talent on the offensive side of the ball.

Dave Toub - Elite coach. Knows the franchise, has been the best in the business at what he does for nearly 15 years now. Read he's a great leader.

If we get one of the last 4, I'll be happiest just based on all 4 of them having really attractive qualities that I don't see any of the other candidates matching.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#40 » by City of Trees » Tue Jan 2, 2018 4:37 am

Pace said he won't give up control of the 53 man roster. Harbaugh and McDaniel will both want 53 man roster control. Doubt either one of those guys is the hire.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Chicago Bears