Image Image Image Image

Week 1 - Bears vs Packers: Go Mack Go!

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

dice
RealGM
And1: 12,593

Re: Week 1 - Bears vs Packers: Go Mack Go! 

Post#241 » by dice » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:52 pm

Susan wrote:
dice wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:I feel pretty confident in thinking Mack will win DPOY this year. He'll be one of the top 2-3 guys mentioned that's for sure.

typically the DPOY is on a winning team. and mack only had 3 tackles last night. the INT and fumble were gifts

He literally took the ball out of Kizer's hands. Quite the gift!

kizer literally ran directly to him and stuck the ball in his midsection, pretending not to see the one guy on the field he should have been aware of

that play was drawn up
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#242 » by dice » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:53 pm

bears had a 3rd and 2 to ice the game, howard having run the ball well on the drive, the passing game having been poor for quite a while:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index6aed.html?p=50
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#243 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:53 pm

Dice trolling at this point. Better off to just ignore him.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
dice
RealGM

Post#244 » by dice » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:57 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:Dice trolling at this point. Better off to just ignore him.

if i was trolling i would have done an endzone dance in the other thread after having BEEN trolled for pages. that entire THREAD i got trolled simply due to logical analysis of a terrible trade. mods did not once come to my defense. now a mod calls me out for trolling when i am clearly just speaking truth? that's rich

i don't troll. never have. i need to stop feeding the trolls

saying that mack's statistical gifts were not entirely earned is not trolling. it's clearheaded observation. which just about everybody else in these bears discussions seems to fundamentally lack. along with logic

every single person other than bears fans watched that kizer fumble and thought "what the HELL is kizer doing there?" every single person other than bears fans who saw mack lazily trotting toward the end zone after the ball floated into his lap thought "he's not gonna allow himself to be stripped from behind, is he?"
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#245 » by Susan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm

It's fun to play with him. It's not like he's getting under my skin or making me think Khalil Mack is any less dominant of a player than he really is.

This thing is going to take a minute to mesh together. They're coming out of last night without any major injuries and a better understanding of exactly where they're at as a team.

Mack, Floyd and Smith are only going to get better as the season goes on. For all of the talk about the offense and the rust we saw there, there's a lot of growth that's going to come with our LBs getting comfortable in the system. If they can dominate for 60 minutes, this thing is going to be a lot of fun to watch.
dice
RealGM

Post#246 » by dice » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Susan wrote:

It's fun to play with him. It's not like he's getting under my skin or making me think Khalil Mack is any less dominant of a player than he really is.

i have not ONCE said that khalil mack is anything less than dominant. this is like the 20th time my words have been misrepresented. including multiple times by you. i don't pull that crap
Susan
RealGM

Post#247 » by Susan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:08 pm

dice wrote:

if i was trolling i would have done an endzone dance in the other thread after having BEEN trolled for pages. pay attention

saying that mack's statistical gifts were not entirely earned is not trolling. it's clearheaded observation. which just about everybody else in these bears discussions seems to fundamentally lack. along with logic

every single person other than bears fans watched that kizer fumble and thought "what the HELL is kizer doing there?" every single person other than bears fans who saw mack lazily trotting toward the end zone after the ball floated into his lap thought "he's not gonna allow himself to be stripped from behind, is he?"

Fuller dropping the game winning INT was a gift to Rodgers. Mack being an absolute monster isn't a gift to anybody.

He was closing in on the QB for the RHH sack. He was closing in on the QB for the Roquan sack. On the fumble, Floyd closed in on Kizer in the the pocket and had to evade him, Mack did his thing and literally took the ball from Kizer. He was smart enough to realize they were going for a screen and had the awareness to read the play, catch the ball and run it into the endzone and you're going to call it a gift. :lol:
Susan
RealGM

Post#248 » by Susan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm

dice wrote:
Susan wrote:

i have not ONCE said that khalil mack is anything less than dominant. this is like the 20th time my words have been misrepresented. including multiple times by you. i don't pull that crap

You saying that the plays that he made last night were "gifts" is denying his dominance.

Here's his first half highlights for you to remind yourself.

dice
RealGM

Post#249 » by dice » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Susan wrote:
dice wrote:

if i was trolling i would have done an endzone dance in the other thread after having BEEN trolled for pages. pay attention

Fuller dropping the game winning INT was a gift to Rodgers.

yes it was. what the hell is your point? i thought this discussion was about khalil mack

Mack being an absolute monster isn't a gift to anybody.

never said that either. STOP lying about what i say. now

He was closing in on the QB for the RHH sack. He was closing in on the QB for the Roquan sack. On the fumble, Floyd closed in on Kizer in the the pocket and had to evade him, Mack did his thing and literally took the ball from Kizer. He was smart enough to realize they were going for a screen and had the awareness to read the play, catch the ball and run it into the endzone and you're going to call it a gift. :lol:

wow are you deluded

what did mack do to earn that interception? he did not "read the play." he was just standing there after having failed to get to the quarterback and rodgers floated the ball to him. did mack not stroll into the endzone, not noticing the packers player closing in on him? did kizer not run over to mack while failing to protect the ball? what were you watching?

replays are available if you'd like to refresh your memory
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#250 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Hopefully Roquan is ready to go next Monday night as a starter.
dice
RealGM

Post#251 » by dice » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Susan wrote:
dice wrote:
Susan wrote:

You saying that the plays that he made last night were "gifts" is denying his dominance.

i said that the strip of kizer and INT were gifts. that's all. mack was certainly disruptive last night. and you are certainly a blatant liar. repeated and willful. and you just admitted in your first sentence there (directly to a mod, who will do nothing because i am not a blind supporter of the chicago bears) that you are not interested in logical discussion, but rather trolling me. being a troll turns you on

i have been critical of exactly one member of the bears organization: the GM. i do so because, believe it or not, i want to watch a contending bears team. i don't care for valuable draft picks being pissed away and the team's future sabotaged. but admitted trolls like you apparently can't handle that, thinking somehow that i am the mortal enemy of bears nation. how DARE i question the brave wizardry of ryan pace?

mr. pace should REALLY go after what he wants and trade for carson wentz or jared goff. give up trubisky and enough additional assets and they're there to be had. anyone in the league is. it's not hard to outbid the competition. just keep upping the offer. like he did to get trubisky and mack. the other teams will eventually give up!
Susan
RealGM

Post#252 » by Susan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:33 pm

dice wrote:
Susan wrote:
dice wrote:if i was trolling i would have done an endzone dance in the other thread after having BEEN trolled for pages. pay attention

yes it was. what the hell is your point? i thought this discussion was about khalil mack

wow are you deluded

what did mack do to earn that interception? he did not "read the play." he was just standing there after having failed to get to the quarterback and rodgers floated the ball to him. did mack not stroll into the endzone, not noticing the packers player closing in on him? did kizer not run over to mack while failing to protect the ball? what were you watching?

I posted the replay. He 100% read that it was a screen. So yes, he read the play.

It wasn't Rodgers that threw him the ball, it was Kizer. I know this because I watched the play right before posting because I like to have the info fresh in my head when posting because that's how you have an intelligent conversation. Watch it, he read that there was a screen pass (the correct thing to do there is play back and not rush the QB, whoever it was) and caught the ball and ran it back into the endzone.
dice
RealGM

Post#253 » by dice » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Susan wrote:
dice wrote:
Susan wrote:

wow are you deluded

I posted the replay. He 100% read that it was a screen. So yes, he read the play.

the ball floated right into his lap! either kizer's arm was hit or it was another drawn up kizer to mack play. mack certainly didn't read the screen. he rushed the QB until the ball left his hands. he DID pay attention and take a step back to accept the gift

It wasn't Rodgers that threw him the ball, it was Kizer.

my bad. not really relevant, is it? doesn't change what mack did

I like to have the info fresh in my head when posting because that's how you have an intelligent conversation

that would be a first with you. admitted trolls don't tend to be interested in intelligent conversation

you had the info fresh in your head and still failed to recognize what happened on the play. rushing the QB -> ball released -> step back to catch the floater. nothing complicated to interpret

and the fumble: effective blocking on mack including while kizer is running in the direction of the block, then kizer makes the mistake of trying to run around the block (not paying attention to KHALIL MACK (!) in the process), allowing mack to step outside the containment and meet QB head on, stripping and falling on an unprotected football
Susan
RealGM

Post#254 » by Susan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:03 pm

dice wrote:
Susan wrote:
dice wrote:yes it was. what the hell is your point? i thought this discussion was about khalil mack

wow are you deluded

the ball floated right into his lap! either kizer's arm was hit or it was another drawn up kizer to mack play. mack certainly didn't read the screen. he rushed the QB until the ball left his hands. he DID pay attention and take a step back to accept the gift

I like to have the info fresh in my head when posting because that's how you have an intelligent conversation

that would be a first with you. admitted trolls don't tend to be interested in intelligent conversation

you had the info fresh in your head and still failed to recognize what happened on the play. rushing the QB -> ball released -> step back to catch the floater. nothing complicated to interpret

and the fumble: effective blocking on mack including while kizer is running in the direction of the block, then kizer makes the mistake of trying to run around the block (not paying attention to KHALIL MACK (!) in the process), allowing mack to step outside the containment and meet QB head on, stripping and falling on an unprotected football

So a mod says you're trolling, and I say I don't mind playing with you here is me being a self admitted troll?

Sounds about right! :D

You're free to think those plays are gifts, I disagree and I've laid out why I think they were good to great plays.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#255 » by Axxo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:45 pm

In the press conference it was brought up that bears missed an extra GB player on the field and all they had to do was snap the ball. It would have renewed possession. This is cheap way to pick up yards but still opportunities Bears should look to take.
Some of the unscouted looks bears needed better improvisation and sometimes the simple plays are the best options as opposed to overscheming which creative OCs/playcallers sometimes get caught up in doing. We also need to find a way to wear other teams o-linemen down. Packers stayed 1 on 1 for the most part and didn’t seem to sub those guys out much. We should have found a way to use that against them.
Expect to see those methods (uptempo, no huddle) employed against us by other teams going fwd.
Mitch was having some accuracy issues that I remember hearing was originally a concern about Watson coming out of college, but it seems it was actually less of a concern for him and more for Mitch i.e. those missed opportunities in the redzone.
Alot to learn and it sucs that we couldn’t survive this one while learning those lessons at the sametime.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#256 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Axxo wrote:In the press conference it was brought up that bears missed an extra GB player on the field and all they had to do was snap the ball. It would have renewed possession. This is cheap way to pick up yards but still opportunities Bears should look to take.
Some of the unscouted looks bears needed better improvisation and sometimes the simple plays are the best options as opposed to overscheming which creative OCs/playcallers sometimes get caught up in doing. We also need to find a way to wear other teams o-linemen down. Packers stayed 1 on 1 for the most part and didn’t seem to sub those guys out much. We should have found a way to use that against them.
Expect to see those methods (uptempo, no huddle) employed against us by other teams going fwd.
Mitch was having some accuracy issues that I remember hearing was originally a concern about Watson coming out of college, but it seems it was actually less of a concern for him and more for Mitch i.e. those missed opportunities in the redzone.
Alot to learn and it sucs that we couldn’t survive this one while learning those lessons at the sametime.

The bold is something Mitch has to ge aware of, and hopefully that will come with time. In general him becoming more cerebral out there.

For example, you'll always see Rodgers know if the other team has too many men on the field and he'll snap the ball really quickly. He's not only ridiculously talented, but he's just smart as hell too.
Susan
RealGM

Post#257 » by Susan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:05 pm

Jordan Howard, CHICAGO BEARS – 80.7
Jordan may not have led the NFL in yards or touchdowns this week, but he was consistently impressive in the loss to the Packers. From 15 carries, he forced three missed tackles and averaged 3.9 yards after contact per attempt.

RIGHT GUARD
Kyle Long, Chicago Bears – 81.4
Long allowed two total pressures from 46 pass-blocking snaps and was solid as a run blocker. While two pressures allowed means he wasn’t perfect in pass protection, he still produced the eighth-highest pass-blocking grade among guards this week.

EDGE DEFENDER
Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears – 93.3
The third member of the Bears to make this week’s Team of the Week, Mack was dominant in his debut, particularly in the first half. On the field for 32 pass-rushing snaps in the game, he racked up a sack and five hurries. He also had a forced fumble on one of those sacks and returned an interception for a touchdown.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-1-nfl-team-of-the-week-2018

Mack ties Earl Thomas as the highest graded defender this week.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,600

Post#258 » by fleet » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:15 pm

Susan wrote:
EDGE DEFENDER
Khalil Mack, Chicago Bears – 93.3

The third member of the Bears to make this week’s Team of the Week, Mack was dominant in his debut, particularly in the first half. On the field for 32 pass-rushing snaps in the game, he racked up a sack and five hurries. He also had a forced fumble on one of those sacks and returned an interception for a touchdown.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-week-1-nfl-team-of-the-week-2018

Mack ties Earl Thomas as the highest graded defender this week.

I don't know how it's possible when Von Miller had seven total tackles, three sacks, four QB hits, three tackles for loss, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#259 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:37 pm

With this criticism of the Gm,
The trade seems more likely that Pace was on the hotseat.
Mack is indeed impressive.

The dirty truth that the bears are probably in line for a few more losses like this because they are a young team that doesnt know how to win.

Imo theres an opportunity cost in the wins the bears produce this season.
dice
RealGM

Post#260 » by dice » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:05 pm

Susan wrote:
dice wrote:
Susan wrote:

So a mod says you're trolling, and I say I don't mind playing with you here is me being a self admitted troll?

the mod was wrong. and I told him why he was wrong. when the bears were winning in the first half, you and countless others trolled me with comments like "Dice tears taste good!" (that was you, by the way), even though nothing that was happening on the field in any way contradicted anything I had said. then when the bears collapsed, you didn't hear a peep from me. and I had every right to lay into you all you trolls at that point

and by the way, you just lied AGAIN. you did NOT say "I don't mind playing with dice" (as if there was some mutual playful banter going on. i for one take no pleasure in engaging with your constant lies, misrepresentations and unprovoked random snide comments). what you DID say was "I like playing with dice" (i.e. messing with him). big difference. I've already quoted it so you can't go back and change it now

I often return fire on trolls, but you'll never find me trolling. and disliking my argument does not make me a troll

You're free to think those plays are gifts, I disagree and I've laid out why I think they were good to great plays.

I never said they weren't good plays (except for mack getting run down without noticing the guy closing in near the endzone on the INT return). that would be another (intentional?) misinterpretation of my words on your part

and there's really no need for disagreement when the evidence is there for all to see:

slo mo replay begins at 2:49. you can double click the play button from that point forward to see the play frame by frame

-by 2:51 the nosetackle is allowed past his blocker (maybe a split second too quickly, as the objective does not include the QB getting popped)
-by 2:52 it is clear to everyone that the nosetackle has been given a free path to the QB. the only way to "read the screen" is to react at that moment. mack continues to rush the QB and for some reason continues to face resistance from his blocker, thus keeping mack in the path of the developing screen
-at 2:53 contact is made just as kizer is beginning his throwing motion. at this point mack, having kept his eye on the QB, knows that he is not going to make it to the QB and also knows that it is OK to bite on the throwing motion because a pump fake will do kizer no good (he will get sacked by the nosetackle). he plants his foot to stop forward momentum and takes a step back. kizer tosses the ball over his shoulder right to mack as he hits the turf

mack could not have been expected to recognize that the nosetackle had been given a free pass to the QB or that the O-linemen were beginning to set up a screen behind him. THAT would have been a great read. it might also have been a great play if there was something impressive about the actual interception (either great hands or an athletic play on the ball). as it stands, mack did all that he could have reasonably be expected to by recognizing when he could not get to the QB in time and taking a step back. whether he knew that the intended receiver was right behind him at that point is unknowable. a grand total of SIX things happened there that led to the interception:

1) nosetackle was probably allowed to pass by his blocker a split second too early
2) there was too much resistance to mack's rush, keeping him near the developing screen
3) the nosetackle made a nice play by getting quickly to the QB and going straight for the legs, maximizing his chance of disrupting a pass. he may have recognized that he got there a little to easily and that a screen pass was coming quickly
4) kizer shouldn't have attempted the pass because the execution was off. a good QB would have thrown the ball at the intended receiver's feet
5) the pass itself was pathetic
6) mack discontinued his rush and took a step back

i do not feel like dissecting the additional two glaring errors by kizer on the fumble

Return to Chicago Bears