Image Image Image Image

Week 1 - Bears vs Packers: Go Mack Go!

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Re: Week 1 - Bears vs Packers: Go Mack Go! 

Post#261 » by Axxo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:53 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
Axxo wrote:In the press conference it was brought up that bears missed an extra GB player on the field and all they had to do was snap the ball. It would have renewed possession. This is cheap way to pick up yards but still opportunities Bears should look to take.
Some of the unscouted looks bears needed better improvisation and sometimes the simple plays are the best options as opposed to overscheming which creative OCs/playcallers sometimes get caught up in doing. We also need to find a way to wear other teams o-linemen down. Packers stayed 1 on 1 for the most part and didn’t seem to sub those guys out much. We should have found a way to use that against them.
Expect to see those methods (uptempo, no huddle) employed against us by other teams going fwd.
Mitch was having some accuracy issues that I remember hearing was originally a concern about Watson coming out of college, but it seems it was actually less of a concern for him and more for Mitch i.e. those missed opportunities in the redzone.
Alot to learn and it sucs that we couldn’t survive this one while learning those lessons at the sametime.

The bold is something Mitch has to ge aware of, and hopefully that will come with time. In general him becoming more cerebral out there.

For example, you'll always see Rodgers know if the other team has too many men on the field and he'll snap the ball really quickly. He's not only ridiculously talented, but he's just smart as hell too.

Question: we are pretty certain GB and other teams will run uptempo to tire out our pass rush or force them to drop back. Whats the conventional counter for this strategy?
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#262 » by Susan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:02 am

dice wrote:
Susan wrote:
dice wrote:the ball floated right into his lap! either kizer's arm was hit or it was another drawn up kizer to mack play. mack certainly didn't read the screen. he rushed the QB until the ball left his hands. he DID pay attention and take a step back to accept the gift

my bad. not really relevant, is it? doesn't change what mack did

that would be a first with you. admitted trolls don't tend to be interested in intelligent conversation

you had the info fresh in your head and still failed to recognize what happened on the play. rushing the QB -> ball released -> step back to catch the floater. nothing complicated to interpret

and the fumble: effective blocking on mack including while kizer is running in the direction of the block, then kizer makes the mistake of trying to run around the block (not paying attention to KHALIL MACK (!) in the process), allowing mack to step outside the containment and meet QB head on, stripping and falling on an unprotected football

So a mod says you're trolling, and I say I don't mind playing with you here is me being a self admitted troll?

the mod was wrong. and I told him why he was wrong. when the bears were winning in the first half, you and countless others trolled me with comments like "Dice tears taste good!" (that was you, by the way), even though nothing that was happening on the field in any way contradicted anything I had said. then when the bears collapsed, you didn't hear a peep from me. and I had every right to lay into you all you trolls at that point

and by the way, you just lied AGAIN. you did NOT say "I don't mind playing with dice" (as if there was some mutual playful banter going on. i for one take no pleasure in engaging with your constant lies, misrepresentations and unprovoked random snide comments). what you DID say was "I like playing with dice" (i.e. messing with him). big difference. I've already quoted it so you can't go back and change it now

I often return fire on trolls, but you'll never find me trolling. and disliking my argument does not make me a troll

You're free to think those plays are gifts, I disagree and I've laid out why I think they were good to great plays.

I never said they weren't good plays (except for mack getting run down without noticing the guy closing in near the endzone on the INT return). that would be another (intentional?) misinterpretation of my words on your part

and there's really no need for disagreement when the evidence is there for all to see:

slo mo replay begins at 2:49. you can double click the play button from that point forward to see the play frame by frame

-by 2:51 the nosetackle is allowed past his blocker (maybe a split second too quickly, as the objective does not include the QB getting popped)
-by 2:52 it is clear to everyone that the nosetackle has been given a free path to the QB. the only way to "read the screen" is to react at that moment. mack continues to rush the QB and for some reason continues to face resistance from his blocker, thus keeping mack in the path of the developing screen
-at 2:53 contact is made just as kizer is beginning his throwing motion. at this point mack, having kept his eye on the QB, knows that he is not going to make it to the QB and also knows that it is OK to bite on the throwing motion because a pump fake will do kizer no good (he will get sacked by the nosetackle). he plants his foot to stop forward momentum and takes a step back. kizer tosses the ball over his shoulder right to mack as he hits the turf

mack could not have been expected to recognize that the nosetackle had been given a free pass to the QB or that the O-linemen were beginning to set up a screen behind him. THAT would have been a great read. it might also have been a great play if there was something impressive about the actual interception (either great hands or an athletic play on the ball). as it stands, mack did all that he could have reasonably be expected to by recognizing when he could not get to the QB in time and taking a step back. whether he knew that the intended receiver was right behind him at that point is unknowable. a grand total of SIX things happened there that led to the interception:

1) nosetackle was probably allowed to pass by his blocker a split second too early
2) there was too much resistance to mack's rush, keeping him near the developing screen
3) the nosetackle made a nice play by getting quickly to the QB and going straight for the legs, maximizing his chance of disrupting a pass. he may have recognized that he got there a little to easily and that a screen pass was coming quickly
4) kizer shouldn't have attempted the pass because the execution was off. a good QB would have thrown the ball at the intended receiver's feet
5) the pass itself was pathetic
6) mack discontinued his rush and took a step back

i do not feel like dissecting the additional two glaring errors by kizer on the fumble

u r very right!
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,599

Post#263 » by fleet » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:12 am

Axxo wrote:Question: we are pretty certain GB and other teams will run uptempo to tire out our pass rush or force them to drop back. Whats the conventional counter for this strategy?

A counter is to have a better offense that can sustain drives and compete for minutes to keep the defense fresh. Generally, which was the Bears plans I'm sure. The Bears actually won the time of possesion battle fairly significantly. So the defense had way more holes than previously thought, the Packers scored so efficiently against the Bears it was ridiculous. The Bears invested a great deal of money into the secondary, which hasn't yet paid off to say the least.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#264 » by Susan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:18 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Hopefully Roquan is ready to go next Monday night as a starter.

Read on Twitter

That sack he got was a gift tho.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,599

Post#265 » by fleet » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:26 am

coaching, quarterback play, and pass defense.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-grades-quarterbacks-secondary-coaching-earn-low-marks-loss-packers
QUARTERBACKS: D+

Mitch Trubisky completed eight of his first nine passes for 99 yards on the Bears’ first two drives, and had a rushing score in that outstanding first quarter stretch. But after those two drives — which resulted in 10 points — Trubisky’s line wasn’t good: 15 completions on 26 attempts (58 percent) for 72 yards, good for an average of 2.8 yards per attempt. And that one incompletion he threw on the first two drives was a missed throw to an open Allen Robinson in the end zone.

Both coach Matt Nagy and quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone were pleased with how Trubisky commanded the huddle and handled the pressure of Sunday night at Lambeau Field, but neither the numbers nor the tape bear out much positives beyond the first quarter (an 11-yard third pass to Anthony Miller on third down late in the fourth quarter was among the few highlights).

Ideally, Trubisky’s conservative, no-turnovers play would’ve been enough to get the Bears a win behind a strong defensive effort, but the offense’s stagnation didn’t give the defense much time to rest and allowed the momentum at Lambeau Field to firmly shift behind Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. Nagy was self-critical when discussing his playcalling on Monday, and that contributed to Trubisky’s meager stat line in the final 45 minutes, but his play did, too.

Trubisky and the Bears need to figure out how to translate his solid play on first two drives — which featured plenty of scripted, unscouted plays — into the rest of a game. His performance wasn’t up to standard on Sunday, but he and the Bears will treat it as a learning opportunity buoyed by the good things he did early in the game.

DEFENSIVE BACKS: F

The Bears probably could’ve sustained a bend-don’t-break approach of keeping everything in front of them as the Packers’ offense adjusted to quick throws and up-tempo play in the second half, but four daggers stand out:

— Rodgers heaving an outstanding 39-yard pass to the back corner of the end zone to Geronimo Allen for the Packers’ first touchdown, with Kyle Fuller beat on the play. “We can just have a tad more lead position,” defensive backs coach Ed Donatell said. “That was a very fine-placed football. And to beat that throw, you gotta be up top.”

— A 51-yard completion to Davante Adams, who beat Prince Amukamara on the play.

— Fuller dropping what would’ve been a game-icing interception on the first play of what wound up being the Packers’ game-winning drive. “That’s a catch we want to make,” Donatell said. “When they’re impacting at the end of the game, we want to make it. We’ll do everything we can to make sure that happens next time.”

— Eddie Jackson diving for the ball instead of staying on Randall Cobb’s top shoulder on a broken play, allowing Cobb to sprint into open field and the end zone for the game-winning 75-yard score. “We just tell our guys when plays break out and there’s loose plays, we want to stay on the top shoulder,” Donatell said. “And that’s what he’ll do next time.”

The Bears only allowed 14 plays of 35 or more yards in the entire 2017 season; 11 of those were passing plays. To have three come not only in one game, but in one half, was an absolute back-breaker for this defense.

COACHING: D

First, what the Bears’ coaching staff did right: The opening offensive drive was full of unscouted looks and misdirection, and Matt Nagy and Mark Helfrich’s scripted plays worked nearly perfectly. Coupled with a dominant showing on defense, the Bears completely controlled this game for the first 36 minutes of gameplay.

But the offense began sputtering before the Packers got on the board, managing only 10 plays for a net of six yards on its final three possessions of the first half. After a 12-play, 45-yard drive opened the second half with a field goal, back-to-back three-and-outs followed. There were two questionable third-and-short play calls in the second half: The first, on which Trubisky rolled to his right and threw back across the field to Sims for no gain; the second, on third-and-two in the red zone when Trubisky threw incomplete to Anthony Miller. Had the Bears converted either, the outcome could’ve been a different story; the one that hurts the most was the red zone miss, which followed Howard’s most impressive run of the game.

Nagy was critical of himself in his press conference Monday, specifically when it came to getting Howard more carries and a few of his play calls (like back-to-back screens, which he didn’t like).

Defensively, perhaps Vic Fangio could’ve done some things differently in the second half (like utilize press coverage more), but a lot of the issues were with player execution: Fuller dropping the interception, Rodgers making an incredible throw, Amukamara getting burned, Jackson getting beat.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,083

Post#266 » by Chi town » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:36 am

Watching Rams Raiders. Goff has gotten 80 yards in PI by throwing the long ball. BEARS MUST THROW THE BALL DEEP TO STRETCH THE FIELD.

I think Mitch throw one ball over 30 yards.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#267 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:09 am

Axxo wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
Axxo wrote:In the press conference it was brought up that bears missed an extra GB player on the field and all they had to do was snap the ball. It would have renewed possession. This is cheap way to pick up yards but still opportunities Bears should look to take.
Some of the unscouted looks bears needed better improvisation and sometimes the simple plays are the best options as opposed to overscheming which creative OCs/playcallers sometimes get caught up in doing. We also need to find a way to wear other teams o-linemen down. Packers stayed 1 on 1 for the most part and didn’t seem to sub those guys out much. We should have found a way to use that against them.
Expect to see those methods (uptempo, no huddle) employed against us by other teams going fwd.
Mitch was having some accuracy issues that I remember hearing was originally a concern about Watson coming out of college, but it seems it was actually less of a concern for him and more for Mitch i.e. those missed opportunities in the redzone.
Alot to learn and it sucs that we couldn’t survive this one while learning those lessons at the sametime.

The bold is something Mitch has to ge aware of, and hopefully that will come with time. In general him becoming more cerebral out there.

For example, you'll always see Rodgers know if the other team has too many men on the field and he'll snap the ball really quickly. He's not only ridiculously talented, but he's just smart as hell too.

Question: we are pretty certain GB and other teams will run uptempo to tire out our pass rush or force them to drop back. Whats the conventional counter for this strategy?
Raiders are running a quicker offense against the Rams pass rush. Rams counter is continued pressure with solid man defenders. CB's and LB/S will be tested.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#268 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:13 am

Susan wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Hopefully Roquan is ready to go next Monday night as a starter.

Read on Twitter

That sack he got was a gift tho.
Its only a gift if you're hustling and hungry.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#269 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:14 am

Chi town wrote:Watching Rams Raiders. Goff has gotten 80 yards in PI by throwing the long ball. BEARS MUST THROW THE BALL DEEP TO STRETCH THE FIELD.

Raiders DB's refuse to turn their heads around.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#270 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:30 am

Digesting the Packers game 24 hours later my take is our Bears arent as good as they showed in the first half and they're not as bad as the second half.

Being objective we fall somewhere in the middle.

That middle point is our starting point of the season.

Not bad. Tons of room to grow. Im optimistic the Bears can make some noise this season.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#271 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:40 am

Some thoughts:

Mack was clearly gassed in the 3rd.

I expected to see Trubisky struggle at some point. Actually, I believe it will take weeks/months before we see him truly command this offense. Last night showed a 2nd year guy who wasnt comfortable in crunch time. Again, expected.

Feed Howard the Damn ball. 20 carries per game minimum should be the goal.

Nagy loves Cohen.

Anyone notice Whitehair fingertips the cone of the football when hiking it? Wtf is that?

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#272 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:14 am

I think Gruden should have probably traded Carr and kept Mack. Then draft a new QB.

Man, what happened to Carr. He looks nothing like he did the year before last. He was a MVP candidate before he got hurt.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#273 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:17 am

City of Trees wrote:Some thoughts:

I expected to see Trubisky struggle at some point. Actually, I believe it will take weeks/months before we see him truly command this offense. Last night showed a 2nd year guy who wasnt comfortable in crunch time. Again, expected.

Nagy loves Cohen.

Anyone notice Whitehair fingertips the cone of the football when hiking it? Wtf is that?

Exactly. Howard makes things happen and he needs to get his number called more.

Really thought they were going to get 7 on that last drive where Jhow drove them down the field, but the play call was perplexing at the goal line.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#274 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:19 am

RedBulls23 wrote:

Nagy loves Cohen.

Really thought they were going to get 7 on that last drive where Jhow drove them down the field, but the play call was perplexing at the goal line.
I liked hearing Nagy admit he should have ran the ball with Howard.

Axxo
Analyst

Post#275 » by Axxo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:19 pm

City of Trees wrote:
Chi town wrote:Watching Rams Raiders. Goff has gotten 80 yards in PI by throwing the long ball. BEARS MUST THROW THE BALL DEEP TO STRETCH THE FIELD.

Seemed like Mitch panicked and abandoned the pocket like a running QB would do. So he didnt let the WRs finish the route. I dont think he trusts Massie.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#276 » by Axxo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:25 pm

City of Trees wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

Nagy loves Cohen.

Did you see how the Rams quickly handed Gurley the ball on a full sprint? On 1st and goal they ran a sweep. No way packers stop Howard at that range with a full head of steam.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,959

Post#277 » by chitownsports4ever » Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Axxo wrote:
City of Trees wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Exactly. Howard makes things happen and he needs to get his number called more.

Did you see how the Rams quickly handed Gurley the ball on a full sprint? Its like they sling shot him around to the outside right into the endzone. Think they called it a sweep. No way packers stop Howard at that range with a full head of steam.

Yeah I think the problem is figuring out the proper personnel packages . The Packers seemed to be in dime packages every time we went three wideouts which was alot . We have to figure out how to run Howard better out of that lineups but also we have to get Wims ,White,Miller and Robinson on the field together in those situations .

I dont believe having Cohen and Gabriel on the field together against those packages is gonna be effective but you can see it seemed as though Nagy saved those plays Cohen plays all off season but didnt have a jumbo version with the big receivers and Howard ready to fall back on .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
Axxo
Analyst

Post#278 » by Axxo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:45 pm

chitownsports4ever wrote:
Axxo wrote:
City of Trees wrote:I liked hearing Nagy admit he should have ran the ball with Howard.

Did you see how the Rams quickly handed Gurley the ball on a full sprint? Its like they sling shot him around to the outside right into the endzone. Think they called it a sweep. No way packers stop Howard at that range with a full head of steam.

Yeah I think the problem is figuring out the proper personnel packages . The Packers seemed to be in dime packages every time we went three wideouts which was alot . We have to figure out how to run Howard better out of that lineups but also we have to get Wims ,White,Miller and Robinson on the field together in those situations .

I dont believe having Cohen and Gabriel on the field together against those packages is gonna be effective but you can see it seemed as though Nagy saved those plays Cohen plays all off season but didnt have a jumbo version with the big receivers and Howard ready to fall back on .

Philly special!!
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#279 » by City of Trees » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 pm

Axxo wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

Seemed like Mitch panicked and abandoned the pocket like a running QB would do. So he didnt let the WRs finish the route. I dont think he trusts Massie.
Then Mitch is a smart man. I 100% have no faith in Massie as a pass protector.

GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,509

Post#280 » by GetBuLLish » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:30 pm

The more I think about it, the more pessimistic I get about Trubisky. It just doesn't seem like he has the accuracy, pocket awareness, or field vision to ever become an elite QB. I see guys like Goff, Wentz, and even Darnold show so much more promise than Trubisky ever has, and it gets kinda depressing. :lol:

Really hope I'm wrong and am open to be persuaded otherwise.

Return to Chicago Bears