General discussion - 2018 season

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,236

Re: General discussion - 2018 season 

Post#121 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:41 am

Lets sit everyone in practice too. Guys get hurt then as well.

Put them all in bubble wrap.

All I know is I expect them to hit the ground running now. I don't want to hear about how they need to get on the same page and it's still a work in progress. Obviously they didn't think they needed these extra opportunities to work with each other to try and get on the same page.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#122 » by Axxo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:52 am

Watford is the 1st to be released
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,958

Post#123 » by chitownsports4ever » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:42 pm

My problem with Nagy sitting the starters because they had a good week of practice is that the goal is to get good practices to translate to game day and how many times over the past decade have we heard they had a good week of practice.

If they practiced that well most coaches in this situation would have probably wanted 2 good possessions showing they can translate it to the game day and then sit them down . That would be the usual reward and I understand wanting to limit injuries but he basically all but proclaimed them ready for week one and we are playing the THE PACK on national TV. The pressure he will have placed on them if they dont show up will be tough to overcome .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,567

Post#124 » by fleet » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:09 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:Lets sit everyone in practice too. Guys get hurt then as well.

All I know is I expect them to hit the ground running now. I don't want to hear about how they need to get on the same page and it's still a work in progress. Obviously they didn't think they needed these extra opportunities to work with each other to try and get on the same page.

I'm going to leave it to Nagy to figure out how to get them ready to play, but yeah, it's ridiculous to try and project a team based on preseason .
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#125 » by City of Trees » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:33 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:My problem with Nagy sitting the starters because they had a good week of practice is that the goal is to get good practices to translate to game day and how many times over the past decade have we heard they had a good week of practice.

If they practiced that well most coaches in this situation would have probably wanted 2 good possessions showing they can translate it to the game day and then sit them down . That would be the usual reward and I understand wanting to limit injuries but he basically all but proclaimed them ready for week one and we are playing the THE PACK on national TV. The pressure he will have placed on them if they dont show up will be tough to overcome .
Big picture is those two possessions don't matter. Team would move forward prepping for GB the same exact way. Preseason is a wasteland for injuries and meaningless records. Im for downsizing preseason.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#126 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:24 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:My problem with Nagy sitting the starters because they had a good week of practice is that the goal is to get good practices to translate to game day and how many times over the past decade have we heard they had a good week of practice.

Yeah, no one was expecting or even wanting them to play the entire half or even game.

I probably would have even been okay if they sat late game if they hadn't wasted the other times they could have gotten some reps in.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#127 » by Susan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:45 am

This franchise has been destroyed by injuries for the past few years. And yes, they've made practices more safe for players in the past few years. That's probably a good thing.

This is a fun shouting match over something trivial. Know what's not trivial? Losing players in the pre-season while playing meaningless games.

This would be a bigger deal if the Bears looked like crap against the 1st stringers for KC, but they didn't.

If the come out sluggish against GB, I won't be burning any jerseys. I'll give Nagy some time to implement his system how he sees best. I don't have a clue on what's best for players. If we see a rash of injuries in weeks 1-3 because players were underprepared, I'd be fine with some heat then.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#128 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:33 am

Susan wrote:

This franchise has been destroyed by injuries for the past few years. And yes, they've made practices more safe for players in the past few years. That's probably a good thing.

This is a fun shouting match over something trivial. Know what's not trivial? Losing players in the pre-season while playing meaningless games.

This would be a bigger deal if the Bears looked like crap against the 1st stringers for KC, but they didn't.

If the come out sluggish against GB, I won't be burning any jerseys. I'll give Nagy some time to implement his system how he sees best. I don't have a clue on what's best for players. If we see a rash of injuries in weeks 1-3 because players were underprepared, I'd be fine with some heat then.

That's pretty much irrelevant. Chase Daniel's has experience with Nagy's offense. Mitch doesn't and the 2nd stringers aren't going to be the ones we depend on. The last time the starters played they still had issues getting off a clean snap between the C and the QB.

There are great coaches that see it differently in regards to preseason as to what's best for the players. Also the countless former players that say that a guy like Mitch and the new players on offense should get to play in real game situation because even just a preseason game is much different than practice.

You know what also gets players injured too? Not being prepared for the physicality of a regular season game.

In the end, I'll shut up if this team starts producing and actually starts putting a winning product on the field. 5 years into Pace's tenure so they need to be in the conversation for a wild card this season. Win 8-9 games. No more excuse, and I'm not going to just drink the koolaid because of random hype videos.

That's all I got to say.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#129 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:55 am

One thing I'll give credit to Nagy for is at least he wasn't smug when answering questions and explaining his decisions. Fox on the other hand would be an ass.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#130 » by Axxo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:47 pm

Packers just.committed a ton of money (33.5 M per year) to A12. Bears should be 1st in the race for Mack. No way Packers have the cap space to resign Mack.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#131 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:52 am

Axxo wrote:Packers just.committed a ton of money (33.5 M per year) to A12. Bears should be 1st in the race for Mack. No way Packers have the cap space to resign Mack.

They actually opened up 15.5 million in cap space by converting salary to a signing bonus. Plus they have 2 first round picks in 2019. They are still very much in the discussion and probably favorites.

Imagine them having the best QB AND arguably the best pass rusher. :( :nonono:
Axxo
Analyst

Post#132 » by Axxo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:44 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
Axxo wrote:Packers just.committed a ton of money (33.5 M per year) to A12. Bears should be 1st in the race for Mack. No way Packers have the cap space to resign Mack.

They actually opened up 15.5 million in cap space by converting salary to a signing bonus. Plus they have 2 first round picks in 2019. They are still very much in the discussion and probably favorites.

Are you referring to that post by joe arrigo?
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#133 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:58 am

Axxo wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

I saw couple of people mention it.

I did a little more research just right now and it looks like it does increase the cap hit, but only by half a million.

Not sure how that changes their chances if landing him now though. Probably not by much. I'm sure they could waive some players if they need to.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#134 » by Axxo » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:05 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
Axxo wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:They actually opened up 15.5 million in cap space by converting salary to a signing bonus. Plus they have 2 first round picks in 2019. They are still very much in the discussion and probably favorites.

I did a little more research just right now and it looks like it does increase the cap hit, but only by half a million.

Not sure how that changes their chances if landing him now though. Probably not by much. I'm sure they could waive some players if they need to.

How many historic contracts can an NFL team handle? I can see them being able to absorb this season's contract, but cant see them resigning him without jettesing other good players leaving them with no depth. However I am certainly no capologist. Thats said their GM did a ton in his first summer. Definitely out GM'd Pace coming in. Getting 12 picks in 1 draft, forcing Pace to use extra cap space when he noticed the mistake of using the transitional tag, getting an additional 1st iin the 2019 draft while getting the two top DBs in the 2018. And may have found a gem LB in that same draft. So theres no telling how things could workout with cap space etc.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#135 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:44 pm

I don't know how many they can handle, but this Rodgers contract hasn't affected their ability to get Mack if they want him, considering the cap hit is only half a million more.

I really hope I wake up one of these days to see that the Bears traded for him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#136 » by fleet » Sat Sep 1, 2018 2:16 am

Tolliver made team, according to Tolliver

kevintoliver2New kid on the block

Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#137 » by fleet » Sat Sep 1, 2018 6:12 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#138 » by Susan » Sat Sep 1, 2018 12:59 pm

Axxo wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
Axxo wrote:Are you referring to that post by joe arrigo?

How many historic contracts can an NFL team handle? I can see them being able to absorb this season's contract, but cant see them resigning him without jettesing other good players leaving them with no depth. However I am certainly no capologist. Thats said their GM did a ton in his first summer. Definitely out GM'd Pace coming in. Getting 12 picks in 1 draft, forcing Pace to use extra cap space when he noticed the mistake of using the transitional tag, getting an additional 1st iin the 2019 draft while getting the two top DBs in the 2018. And may have found a gem LB in that same draft. So theres no telling how things could workout with cap space etc.

Still think Pace is getting outdone by the Packers GM?
Axxo
Analyst

Post#139 » by Axxo » Sat Sep 1, 2018 1:07 pm

Susan wrote:
Axxo wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:I saw couple of people mention it.

Still think Pace is getting outdone by the Packers GM?

Not anymore. He got the type of player Fangio needed and did whatever it took to get it done.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#140 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Sep 1, 2018 2:40 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:I don't know how many they can handle, but this Rodgers contract hasn't affected their ability to get Mack if they want him, considering the cap hit is only half a million more.

I really hope I wake up one of these days to see that the Bears traded for him.

Literally just woke up to this news. Hell **** yeah!!!

Now I definitely expect a playoff team this year. Just have to hope Mitch plays well

Return to Chicago Bears