Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,954

Re: Bears take RB David Montgomery with 73rd pick 

Post#2 » by Dominator83 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:13 am

Wonder what they gave up? Sooner or later that bill is gonna come due
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#3 » by Susan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:32 am

Man, he makes people miss.

Him and Cohen are shiffffffty.
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#4 » by mack2354 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:39 am

Can he catch though? Wasn't that the knock for Jordan Howard? It seems weird to trade Howard just to draft a Howard lite. He seems great at making guys miss but he looks on the slow side and I'd like to have seen more highlights with him receiving. We've been good at drafting lately so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt but i'm not exciting after watching his highlights.
Susan
RealGM

Post#5 » by Susan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:03 am

mack2354 wrote:Can he catch though? Wasn't that the knock for Jordan Howard? It seems weird to trade Howard just to draft a Howard lite. He seems great at making guys miss but he looks on the slow side and I'd like to have seen more highlights with him receiving. We've been good at drafting lately so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt but i'm not exciting after watching his highlights.

Howard had great vision but lacked the explosion and shiftiness that Montgomery has. Howard had more power to truck over people but Montgomery breaks tackles in his own way.

Looks like he's got a decent hands and can really really make people look foolish.
Susan
RealGM

Post#6 » by Susan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:42 am

mack2354 wrote:Can he catch though? Wasn't that the knock for Jordan Howard? It seems weird to trade Howard just to draft a Howard lite. He seems great at making guys miss but he looks on the slow side and I'd like to have seen more highlights with him receiving. We've been good at drafting lately so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt but i'm not exciting after watching his highlights.

I love Howard but he's never making anybody miss like this.

Read on Twitter

Top end 40 speed is a bit overrated looking at Lev Bell + Kareem Hunt's combines.
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#7 » by mack2354 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:45 am

Susan wrote:

Howard had great vision but lacked the explosion and shiftiness that Montgomery has. Howard had more power to truck over people but Montgomery breaks tackles in his own way.

Looks like he's got a decent hands and can really really make people look foolish.

I wasn't trying to imply they were clones of each other. I would have thought they would have gone for a power back like LeGarrette Blount/Marshawn Lynch or a second speedy back like Cohen. Montgomery seems like a smaller, shiftier Howard. I don't think he we is a bad back or a bad pick. I'm just curious how they plan on using him in the offense any differently than Howard.
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,121

Post#8 » by patryk7754 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:30 pm

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#9 » by City of Trees » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:22 pm

mack2354 wrote:
Susan wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply they were clones of each other. I would have thought they would have gone for a power back like LeGarrette Blount/Marshawn Lynch or a second speedy back like Cohen. Montgomery seems like a smaller, shiftier Howard. I don't think he we is a bad back or a bad pick. I'm just curious how they plan on using him in the offense any differently than Howard.
Montgomery lined up all over the field including at WR outside and inside. Word is his route tree is big for a RB unlike Howard.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,577

Post#10 » by fleet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:13 am

If its possible to upgrade a position in the late rounds and UDFA, the Bears seem to have done it with the receivers Ridley and Hall. Those 2 will easily replace White and stone hands. Those 2 with Wims are good backups to develop, and could find a starter. Along with the kick returner they got, that team speed got a boost. Special teams coaches are happy
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,236

Post#11 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:21 am

fleet wrote:If its possible to upgrade a position in the late rounds and UDFA, the Bears seem to have done it with the receivers Ridley and Hall. Those 2 will easily replace White and stone hands. Those 2 with Wims are good backups to develop, and could find a starter. Along with the kick returner they got, that team speed got a boost. Special teams coaches are happy

Only big concern on the team is TE, but let's hope Shaheen can start playing well.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#12 » by fleet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:37 am

mack2354 wrote:
Susan wrote:

You know, I dont know, other than he is compared to Kareem Hunt, right down to combine numbers. So there must be a difference. Unless there's not. On the Hunt comparo btw, another scout said he lacks the ability to put moves together like Hunt can. Anyway, he was supposed to be ranked up there 2nd to the 1st round Alabama guy until his combine sunk his stock. And part of that rank was his versatility grade.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by fleet » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:40 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
fleet wrote:If its possible to upgrade a position in the late rounds and UDFA, the Bears seem to have done it with the receivers Ridley and Hall. Those 2 will easily replace White and stone hands. Those 2 with Wims are good backups to develop, and could find a starter. Along with the kick returner they got, that team speed got a boost. Special teams coaches are happy

Only big concern on the team is TE, but let's hope Shaheen can start playing well.

And Burton. I thought they got a UDFA TE as well. Forget his name. He was on all the teams UDFA wish list.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#14 » by Axxo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:27 pm

fleet wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

And Burton. I thought they got a UDFA TE as well. Forget his name. He was on all the teams UDFA wish list.

The Bears did get some good UDFAs. Players that were projected to go 4th round etc. The TE you spoke if is ranked the 9th best TE in this draft. And Hall was ranked the fastest wide out in the whole draft. Hall had some injury concerns which is why he dropped.

Montgomery actually ran a tiny bit faster than Hunt at the combine. i watched the clip on his story. He has a Khalil Mack type work ethic and personality. He would sneak into the team facility on Friday and Sat nights to work out. The coach would locked up the facility and he would still sneak in instead of going out partying.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#15 » by Axxo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:52 pm

From draft wire before each player was drafted

David Montgomery | RB | Iowa State
Height | 5-11
Weight | 216
Class | Junior
Montgomery isn’t one of the more diverse running backs in the 2019 class, but he finds a way to get the job done. His running style is a mixture of contact balance, power, agility, and toughness which makes him a difficult player to defend. He is a physical, max-effort runner that tries to get every yard possible. Montgomery is able to create yards on his own and improvise if the original hole is clogged with strong cuts to make defenders miss.
Overall, Montgomery has the traits of an every down, No. 1 RB at the next level by Year 3 in a heavy zone scheme.
Projection: 2nd-3rd Round

RB Jordan Howard
College: Indiana
Year: Junior
Birth Year: 1994
Height: 6-0
Weight: 230
Arm Length: 32 1/4
Hand Size: 9
Combine Results
40 Time: DNP
Bench: 16
Vertical: 34 inches
Broad: 10’2
3-Cone: DNP
Short Shuttle: DNP
60-yard Shuttle: DNP

As a receiver Howard is adequate, but can definitely use work on his routes and understanding of how to separate from man coverage. He just doesn’t possess the explosive, shifty feet to consistently create ideal throwing windows for his quarterback, but get Howard moving downfield in the screen game with a full head of steam and see how many defenders want to take him on.
Howard is also limited due to the average set of athletic tools he possesses. There is very little wiggle or elusiveness in his lower half, as Howard doesn’t possess the quick feet to make defenders miss in the open field. Long speed is another issue, often manifesting itself on outside zone runs and stretch plays where Howard didn’t have the wheels to reach the corner quickly.

Grade: 4th Round

Return to Chicago Bears