Image Image Image Image

First [OT] - Thank God!

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

First [OT] - Thank God! 

Post#1 » by blumeany » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:01 am

I look forward to this being a non-homer platform to talk Bears and maybe - just maybe - I'll be allowed to criticize Rex Grossman without being labeled with the 'Not A True Bears Fan' label! :clap:
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,077

Post#2 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:05 am

I criticize him a lot, but I don't blame him for our SuperBowl loss, and I still feel he can win. THis was his first season starting all season long.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
y 2 a B
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by y 2 a B » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:09 am

A lot of his Superbowl mistakes were from inexperience, something that he will take with him as a learning experience and furthur progress upon.

I like him as a QB, and as Darth Celtic said, this is the first time he has had the green light all year, and I don't think he did a bad job at all for that matter.

Should we get back to the Superbowl next year, I think you will see a much better performance from Rex than what we witnessed in early Febuary.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#4 » by blumeany » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:11 am

See! Right there! Two articulate posts that made an argument for Rex without calling me an idiot! I love this board already! :rofl: (Seriously, other Bears boards really p1$$ me off with their homerism). :nonono:

As for Rex, we'll see. I'd like to still see the Bears draft a young QB - just because it would be a no lose proposition. Even if the young guy turns out good, you can trade him.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#5 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:12 am

I still think our defense was a key to our Super Bowl loss.
They gave up I think over 300+ yards which is not normal but then again we were missing Mike Brown a HUGE part of our defense.

Hopefully Hester will continue doing what he does best this season and doesn't pull a Dante Hall where you are a star one season but unknown the next.
blumeany
RealGM

Post#6 » by blumeany » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:17 am

Yeah, and don't forget Tommy Harris!

I think it's easy to blame the defense, but when they are out there that long, it makes for a long day. the defense always looks better when the offense can stay on the field. When you go 3 and out or turn the ball over in your own territory, any defense will tend to look bad. :P
y 2 a B
Banned User

Post#7 » by y 2 a B » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:19 am

The defense definitely didn't play like they had all year, they gave up way too many big, and long yardage plays that they wouldn't have in the regular season.

I dont know if it was because of the inexperience factor, or if it was the weather, but it wasn't the Bears defense that we were used to seeing for 16+ games.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:21 am

no brown, no harris, the RAIN (can't come back throwing in rain like that), and no benson. Jones can't shoulder the whole load, that is why i'm glad he's gone.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#9 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:22 am

And Jones was getting old.
Running Backs can't do it til their 40. Their over the hill is around 30.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:24 am

agreed, we robbed the jets, but they robbed the skins to get the pick anyway.
y 2 a B
Banned User

Post#11 » by y 2 a B » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:31 am

The Jones trade told me that Chicago was going to invest in Benson, a much younger running back that has the potential to be just as good as Jones next year, and also cheaper.

Not a bad move by Chicago, but at the time, I wasn't expecting that type of move at all.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#12 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:35 am

As long as Benson stays healthy...I am happy with this deal.
It all depends on that since Benson has shown glimpses that he may be injury prone.
HeavyC
Starter
And1: 8

Post#13 » by HeavyC » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:40 am

Yes, thank god I finally have a Bears board to read that isn't on the team's official website or on ESPN.com.
y 2 a B
Banned User

Post#14 » by y 2 a B » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:43 am

SportsWorld wrote:As long as Benson stays healthy...I am happy with this deal.
It all depends on that since Benson has shown glimpses that he may be injury prone.

Well, he did play 15 games last year.

If your referring to the Superbowl injury -- I think he should be fine from that, it seemed like something minor, and he likely didn't return to the game for precautionary reasons, albeit it was a huge game for them.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#15 » by SportsWorld » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:44 am

Yeah but in 2005 he got hurt also.
Even if Benson gets hurt I like Peterson too.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#16 » by Joe Jackson » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:00 am

I'm fine with going forward with Grossman another year.

But he has to pick it up now. Keep having some 100+ QB rating games, but none below the 70-80 rating level. He said his goal is 30 TD's and single digit Int's. That would be great and the Bears would probably win the super bowl. Could probably even absorb a few more Int's if they weren't too untimely, but the other fumbles and lost snap exchanges, etc. have to be eliminated.

I do think there should be at least a halfway open competetion for the starting job. It's ok to say and name Grossman the starter. And it's his job to keep or lose.
But you should give the other QB's or Griese nearly equal opportunity to play and practice at the position.
And do not sit on your nuts or allow Grossman to perform at a 19.9 or less QB rating for multiple games before trying the other guy.

I like Griese and he gets bad mouthed around here and accused of losing previous jobs. But his career numbers are just slightly very good. And in each case where he has had shortcomings, there has always been some circumstances surrounding the situation if you consider everything. Not the least of was being young, injuries, etc.
And he is still not old and I think if he was put in the job he might be just about mature enough to have a damn good career still ahead of him.

So that gives you two good QB's.

But what I would also like to do is trade Orton for a middle round draft choice or 2 and then try to get Kevin Kolb from Houston in about the 3rd or 4th round and develop him for the future if Grossman doesn't work out long term and challenge him if he does.
Triple_6_Mafia
Banned User

Post#17 » by Triple_6_Mafia » Tue Apr 3, 2007 1:13 am

SportsWorld wrote:I still think our defense was a key to our Super Bowl loss.
They gave up I think over 300+ yards which is not normal but then again we were missing Mike Brown a HUGE part of our defense.

Hopefully Hester will continue doing what he does best this season and doesn't pull a Dante Hall where you are a star one season but unknown the next.

Forget Mike Brown weve played half of the last 3 seasons without him.

We missed Tommie more then Mike.
Ruben Douglas
Veteran
And1: 25

Post#18 » by Ruben Douglas » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:10 pm

I think you can pretty much blame the Bears losing the Super Bowl on Peyton Manning. He's good.
Ruben Douglas
Veteran
And1: 25

Post#19 » by Ruben Douglas » Tue Apr 3, 2007 10:13 pm

Being a Bucks fan, the only place I would go to even remotely talk about the Bears was in the Packer threads on the Bucks board. I can't say my enthusiasm for the Packers suckiness and the Bears success was or is appreciated very much over there. Praise the Lord that RealGM finally got off their asses and got the football board up and running.

Return to Chicago Bears