Season Preview

Moderator: Gremz

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Season Preview 

Post#1 » by Icness » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:33 pm

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_teamarticle/369/20080724/2008_season_preview_cincinnati_bengals/

In summary:
Bellwether Games: Weeks 4-6 pits the Bengals against in-state rival Cleveland, then at Dallas and at the New York Jets. Winning in Dallas is a real longshot, though the Bengals (with both Johnsons at 100%) do have the ability to exploit the Cowboys’ weaknesses. But the Browns and Jets games are winnable, and if they can win 2 of those 3 or somehow manage a sweep, the Bengals can get much-needed confidence and positive momentum. That could parlay them to challenging for a Wild Card spot. Lose all three of those games and the Bengals might not win more than 3 games all season.

Prediction: This unit is similar to a lot of the Bengals teams of the late 90s--there is enough talent to challenge for a Wild Card if everyone plays well and they embrace the concept of being a team. Those teams chronically disappointed and underachieved, and with the fractious offseason and so many young players in so many key spots, this team is poised for a long, tough year. If the team can rally around itself and put all the years of negativity and character issues behind them, they could be the surprise team of 2008 and taste .500. But barring a major cultural seismic event, I see a 4-12 record and strong contention for the top draft pick in 2009.

And no, I'm not hating simply because I'm from Cleveland. That hate will come in the Pittsburgh and Baltimore previews... 8-)
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Re: Season Preview 

Post#2 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:55 pm

Thanks for posting this. A very solid read, as usual.

re: OTs, I think you're absolutely right in that the Bengals have 4 OTs (and one mediocre center) playing on their offensive line. How do you see Cincinnati playing out the Stacy Andrews situation at this point? By most accounts, Willie Anderson is healthy, meaning Andrews will likely play the majority of the games at guard (someone WILL get injured) and Whitworth's still only a third- or fourth-year pro. He has some room to mature. But I agree...the lack of a quality interior lineman is disappointing, even as the plug-and-play-guard myth is being somewhat dispelled by money changing hands.

You also don't really mention the TEs, even though Ben Utecht is considered one of the three biggest acquisitions of the offseason. Sure, he's no Dallas Clark, and knowing the Bengals' reputation for predictability he'll probably be treated as a WR for the first few games, but what do you expect out of the group as a whole? I've also seen reports that Lewis wants to use Reggie Kelly a lot at H-back (which would be OK but rather pointless).

Is there any way this team doesn't finish last in the NFL in run defense? I mean, I get that Peko and Thornton are basically bull rushers, and Keith Rivers and Ahmad Brooks will be nice to have, but the potential for being awful is just so great.

Also, is .500 the absolute ceiling for this team? I see at least five guaranteed losses on the schedule, but I can also find you nine potential wins: vs. TEN, vs. BAL, @NYJ, @HOU, vs. WSH (call me a non-believer), vs. KC, and three of four against Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Overall, a fair assessment considering the blatant unpredictability of this team. I just hope that, should they start, say, 1-6 going into the bye week, fans should call for the heads of Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.

Return to Cincinnati Bengals