ImageImageImageImageImage

Carlos Zambrano in the Yankee rotation by July?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Carlos Zambrano in the Yankee rotation by July? 

Post#1 » by moocow007 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:54 am

A possibility based on this article.

http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_archives/5899/20070429/cubs_may_shop_zambrano/

Appears that talks of an extension has fallen through and Zambrano (the hard throwing 26 year old starter from the Cubs) will explore free agency (probably a very smart move considering how desperate teams are for top line starters that 5 years and $80 million...what the Cubs are offering...will seem like a mere bag of shells) at seasons end.

Mentions that a trade is possible as well...

Tyler Clippard and Eric Duncan for Zambrano? Zambrano is a risk to be lost via free agency so his trade value may be more limited than it normally would be.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#2 » by cmaff051 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:00 am

The Cubs will get a lot more than Tyler Clippard and Eric Duncan from other teams... we will have to do better than that.

Hughes and Tabata are off-limits... I'd be willing to talk regarding anybody else in our farm system, though.

Just can't see a trade happening.. and I happen to believe that Carlos Zambrano is a huge headcase and will not be nearly as good in the AL as he was in the NL.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#3 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:08 am

Carlos Zambrano is not someone who should go to the AL East. Look at all those walks. I would stay very far away from Zambrano, not only because of the walks but because he's thrown so many innings. His arm is literally going to fall off. He's been throwing 210 innings with lots of walks since he was 21. I don't buy that he's going to stay healthy much longer.

Also, Tyler Clippard and Eric Duncan? C'mon now. They'd be better off letting him leave via free agency and picking up two draft picks in the process.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,075

Post#4 » by Pharmcat » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:16 am

yanks need to throw the bank at santana this offseason

300 million
throwbackewing33
Starter
And1: 131

Post#5 » by throwbackewing33 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:55 am

Zambranos walks make him very shakey in the AL east. I agree we need to go after johan but 300 might not be enough :wink:
Jitpal
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Jitpal » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:44 am

The other thing that no one seems to talk about is Zambrano is going to have a much higher value to a team in the NL because he isn't an automatic out at the plate. I think some NL teams might bid just a little more because of that extra value that they get. -Jitpal
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#7 » by Flaming Mo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:01 am

Maybe the Mets will be interested. They got the young players to aquire him...
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#8 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:49 pm

Flaming Mo wrote:Maybe the Mets will be interested. They got the young players to aquire him...

Remember what happened the last time the Mets acquired a pitcher Zambrano.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#9 » by 34Celtic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:24 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Remember what happened the last time the Mets acquired a pitcher Zambrano.

This is a very different Zambrano
LamboNYK
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by LamboNYK » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:45 pm

Zambrano has the stuff. I would LOVE to have him here.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#11 » by Basketball Jesus » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:05 pm

34Celtic wrote:
This is a very different Zambrano

No way; it is? I thought Victor changed his name to confuse major league teams into believing he
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#12 » by 34Celtic » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:15 pm

you're the one who asked who remembered
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#13 » by NYKnSTILL! » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:30 pm

The Kandi Man Rocks wrote:yanks need to throw the bank at santana this offseason

300 million

no pitcher is worth that , I don't care if it's Cy Young himself or Clemens at 17 w/ pin point stuff.
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User
Location: In his deposition, Thomas denied any fireworks. "I'm not attracted to her, no," he said.

Post#14 » by NYKnSTILL! » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:35 pm

on another note Duncan , Clippard and Claggett for starters to try and land Zambrano. Hughes and Tabata are untouchable.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Chach » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:17 pm

If Hughes and Tabata are untouchable, the Yankees stand no shot at landing Zambrano. Even though the Yankees have this tremendous depth in terms of pitching prospects, they don't have a lot of movable parts right now.

Hughes and Tabata:You guys said he can't be touched
Joba the Hut:Currently injured and has yet to throw a minor league pitch in the Continetal United States. Also, can't be traded until 12 months after he signed so he can't be traded until September. You MIGHT be able to get around the rule by having him as a PTBNL, in which he might be eligible but by July, he will have had two, maybe three months of minor league experience for teams to judge him on. Not a lot to work with in terms of being the centerpiece of the trade
Melancon-Coming off TJ surgery
Betances- is pitching well but in the GCL
Kennedy- has pitched well thus far but is in the FSL and has the same "too soon" rule at Joba
Garcia- has pitched well in FSL. Not much to complain about other than youth and being in the low minors
Clippard- scuffled a bit at AAA and has always outperformed his tool. not a great centerpiece of a trade
Cox- undergoing some sort of nerve related elbow surger, not TJ surgery
Gardner-really struggled thus far at AA and is 23 years old already

So there is your Baseball America Top 10 prospect list. You can't trade Joba or Kennedy without some trickery and with Joba's injury history/current injury status, I doubt that he would get included. That leads me to conclude that, out of your top 10,
Betances
Kennedy
Garcia
Clippard
Gardner
are the only guys truly available for a trade. Betances is still in GCL rookie ball so he won't be a centerpiece (and I think he's lumped in with Kennedy but I don't know when he signed) and Gardner is a questionable prospect. So your trade would center around Kennedy, Garcia, and Clippard. Not really sure that's enough to get Zambrano but that's just my take. mahalo
~Chach~
Edit:Wrong Gardner
NYKnSTILL!
Banned User

Post#16 » by NYKnSTILL! » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:14 pm

Chach wrote:If Hughes and Tabata are untouchable, the Yankees stand no shot at landing Zambrano. Even though the Yankees have this tremendous depth in terms of pitching prospects, they don't have a lot of movable parts right now.

Hughes and Tabata:You guys said he can't be touched
Joba the Hut:Currently injured and has yet to throw a minor league pitch in the Continetal United States. Also, can't be traded until 12 months after he signed so he can't be traded until September. You MIGHT be able to get around the rule by having him as a PTBNL, in which he might be eligible but by July, he will have had two, maybe three months of minor league experience for teams to judge him on. Not a lot to work with in terms of being the centerpiece of the trade
Melancon-Coming off TJ surgery
Betances- is pitching well but in the GCL
Kennedy- has pitched well thus far but is in the FSL and has the same "too soon" rule at Joba
Garcia- has pitched well in FSL. Not much to complain about other than youth and being in the low minors
Clippard- scuffled a bit at AAA and has always outperformed his tool. not a great centerpiece of a trade
Cox- undergoing some sort of nerve related elbow surger, not TJ surgery
Gardner-really struggled thus far at AA and is 23 years old already

So there is your Baseball America Top 10 prospect list. You can't trade Joba or Kennedy without some trickery and with Joba's injury history/current injury status, I doubt that he would get included. That leads me to conclude that, out of your top 10,
Betances
Kennedy
Garcia
Clippard
Gardner
are the only guys truly available for a trade. Betances is still in GCL rookie ball so he won't be a centerpiece (and I think he's lumped in with Kennedy but I don't know when he signed) and Gardner is a questionable prospect. So your trade would center around Kennedy, Garcia, and Clippard. Not really sure that's enough to get Zambrano but that's just my take. mahalo
~Chach~
Edit:Wrong Gardner

if it's to that point I'd rather run w/ our horses then because Carlos will be a FA soon so will Johan :D
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#17 » by Posey H8er » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:09 pm

I'm sorry, this is just the NY media at its best.

Return to New York Yankees