ImageImageImageImage

Starting QB

Moderator: theBigLip

Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Starting QB 

Post#1 » by Liqourish » Tue Jun 2, 2009 12:28 am

According to sources out of the Lions camp, Stafford is outperforming Culpepper in camp. He has not only shown a strong arm, but incredible decision making, and good instincts. Jim Schwartz is raving over how well Stafford is performing and has stated that if Stafford looks ready and outperforms Culpepper, he will be the starting QB.

In know most people want him to sit a year and learn and talks about the bad QB protection last year, but if Stafford is our best QB and our best chance to win games, apparently he will be given that chance to prove it when it counts.

I think we'll be hearing alot about this battle as the season approaches.
nadiroo13
Sixth Man
And1: 5

Re: Starting QB 

Post#2 » by nadiroo13 » Tue Jun 2, 2009 3:16 am

I hope they dont send in Stafford too early.

Better to be safe than sorry, but if they think that he can Matt Ryan his rookie season, then they should hand him the reigns.

Is teill expect Culpepper to be the starter Week 1
lol, i guess it's been a while.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#3 » by Liqourish » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Stafford is outplaying Culpepper. The only way I see Daunte being the starting QB is if Schwartz tries to hold Stafford back. He says he'll start the best QB, if he's being truthful, I don't see how Matt wouldn't be our starting QB.

I know people are worried about him being sacked like Kitna, but no one gets sacked like Kitna. If Matt is our best option, I'd rather play him and get him familiar with the NFL and his teammates. We shall see how it unfolds.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#4 » by ajaX82 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:12 am

He needs to sit. Plain and simple. I dont care how he is playing.

Our line is terrible. He needs a year to practice, learn the playbook, get comfortable, get better protection. Throwing him out there too early is a bad idea.

Where are you hearing this btw? I have only heard very positive reviews of Culpepper from camp...
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#5 » by Liqourish » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:21 am

All over ESPN. Our O-line hasn't even been decided yet, how do you know it's terrible?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jul 5, 2009 6:32 pm

Liqourish wrote:All over ESPN. Our O-line hasn't even been decided yet, how do you know it's terrible?

Because i have watched almost every Lions games for the last few years and our line has always sucked. I'm waiting to be proved wrong. We added some decent pieces but Backus is still prolly our LT....right.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#7 » by Liqourish » Mon Jul 6, 2009 4:43 pm

Actually they want to move him to guard.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:05 am

Liqourish wrote:Actually they want to move him to guard.

I have heard this as well....but who is our LT than? Jansen?

My point remains, the line i will continue to think poorly of until they prove otherwise
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#9 » by Icness » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:49 am

The line is looking like this:
LT-Backus
LG-Peterman/Cook
C-Raiola
RG-Loper/Cherilus
RT-Jansen/Cherilus

The guy who is going to sit if he's not ready is Cherilus. The new regime will not tolerate mental mistakes, and all his mstakes at this point are mental. I wouldn't worry too much about the G-C-G package, though Peterman and Loper are much better run blockers.

I would start Culpepper but get Stafford 2 or 3 drives a game, building up to more after the bye. But I'm not the coach. It doesn't make sense for him to sit all year and then get thrown out there raw next year.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:51 pm

The more i think about it and listen to people, the more i am now not in favor of sitting him all year. But i still dont think he should just be given the starting job on Week 1. As Ice said, i would slowly get him some time early in the year and than switch him and Culpepper around the bye week
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#11 » by Liqourish » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:59 pm

I don't know what's going to happen, but I like what I am hearing about the progress of the players and the competitiveness in the workouts/minicamps. My line of thinking is, we're not in a position where playing the young guys is going to hurt us. So why not put the best players out there and let them grow? Now maybe they won't be able to handle it and will need to be benched, but you won't know until you see.

Does it mean I want Stafford porverbially thrown to the wolves? no, but I don't want to see him sit out and then start to develop a year or two behind. I don't want a situation like JaMarcus Russell in Oakland. Play the kid, even sparingly, and let's see what he can do and what he can't do. Then we can go from there.

Return to Detroit Lions