ImageImageImageImage

The Draft

Moderator: theBigLip

PistonFan4Life
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#21 » by PistonFan4Life » Mon Apr 9, 2007 7:48 pm

Icness wrote:Just a thought...

Is there even a little bias against Thomas because the last two prominent tackles form Wisconsin (Gibson and Chris McIntosh) both absolutely flopped in the NFL? Or that every Wisconsin player the Lions have pretty much ever had and currently have (Calhoun, Fletcher, Alex Lewis, Gibson) all stunk?

A friend of mine brought that up when we were discussing Joe Thomas, and he wants nothing to do with Thomas because of those reasons without ever really having seen him play.

There may be a little bias coming from some of the fans because of past performances out of OL in the draft. Don't forget even though the Lions didn't draft him, but Gallery was also a surefire can't miss and so far he's shown nothing. So its not just the Lions that have been burnt, but OL players shouldn't go that high in the draft, and only a couple players names come to mind that would be worthy of being picked so highly, one being Orlando Pace, and the other being Steve Hutchinson, they've both been great OL.

But back to the point, I don't know how many people have watched Joe Thomas' career, but I have and I'm not impressed enough to pick him anywhere in the top 10. I know he will be drafted somewhere in there, and I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if he becomes a franchise LT, which is the only way he's worthy of a top 10 pick, let alone #2 overall. But I wouldn't be suprised to see just another decent college player with an outstanding combine, turn out to be nothing more than merely a good player, which you could get in later rounds. I'd rather draft Johnson or Russell or trade down and get some more draft picks and build up this defense and hope that Staley by some miracle slips to us in the 2nd round if we want just a good OL.
freddy
Senior
And1: 10

Post#22 » by freddy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:51 pm

I am a fan of trading down. I think that with the offensive line we would be better off signing a few vets that have been in the league for a while.

I think trading down for Landry or Adams. I wouldn't mind picking defense in the 1st 3 rounds. Having a good defense can make up for a lot of the mistakes our offense will make.
PistonFan4Life
Rookie

Post#23 » by PistonFan4Life » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:08 pm

freddy wrote:I am a fan of trading down. I think that with the offensive line we would be better off signing a few vets that have been in the league for a while.

I think trading down for Landry or Adams. I wouldn't mind picking defense in the 1st 3 rounds. Having a good defense can make up for a lot of the mistakes our offense will make.

I wouldn't mind drafting Adams or Landry myself. They would both fill big holes on our defense and would both be able to step in immediately and make an impact. However, we would have to move down in the draft at least a few spots to pick either, because neither are truely in positions worthy of the 2nd overall pick. I just hope Millen makes some decent moves for once.
freddy
Senior

Post#24 » by freddy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:36 pm

I wouldn't mind drafting Adams or Landry myself. They would both fill big holes on our defense and would both be able to step in immediately and make an impact. However, we would have to move down in the draft at least a few spots to pick either, because neither are truely in positions worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

That is why I think trading down is absolutely the way to go....either player I think would be an impact player and pick up a few additional picks to fill in some holes. I wouldn't even object if we traded down and picked Quinn, but I still would prefer defense because QBs rarely step in and produce right away.

If we draft a QB I would much rather pick one up in the later rounds like a Stanton, Troy Smith, or Chris Leak.
detroiterabroad
Junior

Post#25 » by detroiterabroad » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:18 pm

^ Couldn't agree more. Count me as a card carrying member of the trade down and stockpile draft picks club. I really don't think we need to get one or two impact players in any one position. We have so many needs (anything on defense and the OL) that we'd be better off getting as many quality guys as we can instead of one top-ten guy, whatever the position.

My dream here is that some team decides to follow what Denver did for Cutler. That some contneder (maybe the Chargers?) decide that they have enough talent to give up a few picks and offer something juicy to the Lions for a crack at Calvin Johnson.

Of course I also dream of Millen getting fired and Ford selling the team so that shows what dreaming does for you.
Train Wreck
Bench Warmer
And1: 40

Post#26 » by Train Wreck » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:15 am

People always say that we should trade down because we have so many holes.. I can't disagree with the fact that on the surface, stockpiling picks seems like it would be a solid idea but I really have no faith in Millen to use those later picks on quality guys. Unless it's an offer that is too good to be true than I keep the #2 pick because this year, I feel that not even Millen could blow that pick..

Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson would do more to help this team than say, Patrick Willis and a couple of 2 round picks..

This team needs a few star players that are difference makes on the field
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,858

Post#27 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:54 pm

PistonFan4Life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If we trade down we won't be drafting Thomas or CJ most likely.

Scenario 1:
As of right now the two scenarios look this way:
We trade down to the 4th spot so TB can select CJ with the #2 and Cleveland will take Thomas with the #3 pick.

Scenario 2:
We trade down to Arizona's spot at #5 so they can move up and grab Thomas at #2 spot, leaving Peterson as possibly the main target for the Browns at #3, CJ to the Bucs at #4 which confuses me as to why there is talks of them moving up when I think they'll be able to get him there regardless. Either way with these scenarios going down I would think we would draft DE Gaines Adams at this point.

Scenario 1: We take Adams or Quinn at #4
Scenario 2: Won't happen. Thomas is going to fall to Arizona anyway.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#28 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:01 pm

Best case scenario:

At #2, Detroit drafts CJ, trade him to Tampa and get #4 and a second rounder.

At #3, Cleveland draftss Peterson.

At #4, we not-so-quitely shop the pick to someone who wants Thomas. Arizona coughs up a 3-4th round pick and their #5 for Thomas who we draft at #4.

At #5, we draft Quinn or Adams and walk away with a couple of exta good picks. Even better if we can pull off another trade with Minnesota for them to take Quinn and we get another 3rd rounder or so.
teju1
Ballboy

detroit lions 

Post#29 » by teju1 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:40 pm

yall may think i am stupid, but, I want to take calvin johnson because he is the leader on the draft board, and also I want to see Mr. Matt Braindead Millen fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Tej Yale
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#30 » by GJense4181 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:47 pm

freddy wrote:
I wouldn't mind drafting Adams or Landry myself. They would both fill big holes on our defense and would both be able to step in immediately and make an impact. However, we would have to move down in the draft at least a few spots to pick either, because neither are truely in positions worthy of the 2nd overall pick.

That is why I think trading down is absolutely the way to go....either player I think would be an impact player and pick up a few additional picks to fill in some holes. I wouldn't even object if we traded down and picked Quinn, but I still would prefer defense because QBs rarely step in and produce right away.

If we draft a QB I would much rather pick one up in the later rounds like a Stanton, Troy Smith, or Chris Leak.

I wouldn't draft any of those players until the 4th round.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#31 » by GJense4181 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:48 pm

theBigLip wrote:Best case scenario:

At #2, Detroit drafts CJ, trade him to Tampa and get #4 and a second rounder.

At #3, Cleveland draftss Peterson.

At #4, we not-so-quitely shop the pick to someone who wants Thomas. Arizona coughs up a 3-4th round pick and their #5 for Thomas who we draft at #4.

At #5, we draft Quinn or Adams and walk away with a couple of exta good picks. Even better if we can pull off another trade with Minnesota for them to take Quinn and we get another 3rd rounder or so.

Why are we so enamored with Gaines Adams?
Isn't this a deep draft for d ends? Is there not somebody equally talented that we can get in the middle of the first round?
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#32 » by GJense4181 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:50 pm

and today I heard on...cold pizza? Sportscenter? Whichever it was, apparently Calvin Johnson blew us away in his workouts and we might actually draft him #2 overall in spite of Rogers, Roy, and Williams because he is SO can't miss.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by Ex-hippie » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:54 pm

Just another team's fan, passing through here. I'm taking an interest in your discussion of offensive linemen. If a tackle is worth the pick, why wouldn't a team trade up for him? Is anyone saying an OT isn't worth a high pick? Who would you say is the best OT of the last 15-20 years... Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden, Tony Bosselli, Willie Roaf, Richmond Webb, Lincoln Kennedy? Probably someone on that list, right? Every single one of them was a top-10 pick, and some were top-3 -- Pace, Ogden, Bosselli. They usually work out well. There is the occasional bust like Mandarich and Gallery (or semi-bust like Leonard Davis or Bob Whitfield), but that can happen at any position. A top left tackle is something you stake the franchise on, especially when you're building around, say, Matt Leinart.

And how many of the top tackles from this era were not high picks... Mark Tuinei, maybe Marcus McNeill will reach that point, but the list isn't all that impressive.

From all I've heard, Joe Thomas has the goods, as did D'Brickashaw Ferguson last year. If you need a left tackle and are worried you can't get your man? By all means, trade up!

Just my two cents -- I know this isn't the Cards board, but the question is whether Arizona would trade up, so.
Vinnie's Microwave
Senior

Post#34 » by Vinnie's Microwave » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:29 pm

WHat does everyone think about taking a chance on Alan Branch (with broken legs) with the 2nd round pick? I hear he is dropping like a rock. It could be a steal for us.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#35 » by GJense4181 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:47 pm

Vinnie's Microwave wrote:WHat does everyone think about taking a chance on Alan Branch (with broken legs) with the 2nd round pick? I hear he is dropping like a rock. It could be a steal for us.

In a heartbeat. He's a top 5 talent, my man. He's dropping for silly reasons, too. Getting him in the 2nd round is like being blessed with an extra top 10 pick. and we need another d-tackle. Cory Redding can not handle DT long-term.
freddy
Senior

Post#36 » by freddy » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:21 pm

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiret ... n_johnson/

Denver Post - Mike Shanahan, Ted Sundquist and Jim Goodman of the Broncos are so enamored with receiver Calvin Johnson that they have attempted to acquire a pick to get him twice. The first time, the Broncos proposed adding middle linebacker Al Wilson and their No. 21 overall pick as an extension to finalize a deal that sent Tatum Bell and George Foster to the Lions in exchange for Dr
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#37 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:58 am

Trade with Tampa and we still have #4. If we trade with Denver, we're all the way down to #21. Sure we get some more lower picks, but I think we should trade with Tampa and we could still get Thomas or Adams, or be in a position to trade again.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#38 » by GJense4181 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:44 pm

I'd rather get Patrick Willis than Gaines Adams.
Give Kalimba Edwards a chance to show what he's got for a year. We did sign him to a decent extension, afterall, and he was a 2nd round pick only a few years back.
But at linebacker? Who do we have? Ernie Sims and...nobody. Boss Bailey and Teddy Lehman, while phenomenal talents, are very injury prone. and Ernie himself had a reputation for getting concussed while in college. Having a SUPER fast four-man rotation would be excellent. We could put Boss at strongside, Willis at middle, Sims at weakside, and rotate Lehman in wherever he's needed.
and then with whatever new picks we get we could draft another DT or DE later on, for this is a very deep draft for ends.

I dunno. I'm just PISSED that we're passing on Calvin Johnson to reach for a position that isn't a HUGE need and a player that isn't a can't-miss talent in a deep draft. This isn't Julius Peppers we're talking about.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#39 » by theBigLip » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:50 pm

If we can trade Johnson can get a lot of picks, that's okay. But just because Millen f--ked up a few other WR picks doesn't mean that Johnson would be a bad pick.
GJense4181
Banned User

Post#40 » by GJense4181 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:37 am

oh DAMNIT.
we signed Marcus Robinson.
There's no way we draft Calvin Johnson now.

Return to Detroit Lions