ImageImageImageImage

Lion News and Related Articles

Moderator: theBigLip

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: Pre-Season and Training Camp 

Post#41 » by Icness » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:44 pm

I think it's between Bartell and Jonte Green for the final CB spot. I'd go with Green even though I think he's a safety long-term.

Spurlock and Miller are fighting for the return man spot. Winner sticks, loser is out of a job.

Neloms is practice squad material, the coaches like him. I really doubt Spievey makes the team. Rashean Mathis is better. Corey Fuller and Chris Greenwood are PS-bound as well.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#42 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:23 am

Icness wrote:I think it's between Bartell and Jonte Green for the final CB spot. I'd go with Green even though I think he's a safety long-term.

Spurlock and Miller are fighting for the return man spot. Winner sticks, loser is out of a job.

Neloms is practice squad material, the coaches like him. I really doubt Spievey makes the team. Rashean Mathis is better. Corey Fuller and Chris Greenwood are PS-bound as well.

I thought they really like Bartell and starting RCB was his job to lose going into the preseason? did he really play that poorly? i also agree with your assessment of Green, however if he's our saftey long term, why isn't he playing there? Depth?

Also does Greenwood clear waivers, if the lions have been raving about him, why wouldn't another team pick him up?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#43 » by Icness » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:00 am

Slay is further along than expected and will start opposite Houston. Bentley has played well outside but not inside, which makes the nickel interesting. I think we will see Mathis tried in the slot some vs. BUF just to see if he can handle it.

I saw a blurb that the Raiders are expecting Bartell to be cut and want to sign him. It wouldn't surprise me but I know the Lions have taken calls on a few players the last couple of days. I can confirm the Lions are hunting for an upgrade at WR but the pickings are slim. Like, nobody they could get is better than a healthy Ryan Broyles.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#44 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:55 am

Icness wrote:Slay is further along than expected and will start opposite Houston. Bentley has played well outside but not inside, which makes the nickel interesting. I think we will see Mathis tried in the slot some vs. BUF just to see if he can handle it.

I saw a blurb that the Raiders are expecting Bartell to be cut and want to sign him. It wouldn't surprise me but I know the Lions have taken calls on a few players the last couple of days. I can confirm the Lions are hunting for an upgrade at WR but the pickings are slim. Like, nobody they could get is better than a healthy Ryan Broyles.

i'm really confused here:

Is the problem that WR aren't getting open or that Stafford can't complete the passes?

and i thought a healthy ryan Broyles is damn good player?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#45 » by Icness » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:56 pm

My humble opinion is that folks are overreacting to a legitimately awful preseason by Burleson, and they don't trust Broyles to stay on the field. Fans are so accustomed to the Lions fouling everything up that they don't have faith.

Also, Reggie Bush and Tony Scheffler are going to get >150 combined targets. That's a huge amount for a RB and a #2 TE. That comes at the expense of the 4th WR (Edwards) and Burleson as well.

Edwards has played better than his stat line. Stafford missed him twice in the NE game where he beat his man. Willis has looked good too. I'm not overly concerned with Stafford because his mechanics have been better. Not having Calvin Johnson is a valid excuse for struggling because Megatron so dramatically impacts coverage.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#46 » by Piston Pete » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:34 pm

I still think our best-case scenario for having our best players on the field at the same time means more Bush at WR or slot and Bell in the backfield. Which could also mean we could possibly only keep 5 WRs with Bush as a flex WR/RB.

QB = Stafford / Hill / Moore
RB = Bell / Bush / LeShoure / Riddick
FB = Owens
WR = Johnson / Burleson / Broyles / Edwards / Durham
TE = Petigrew / Scheffler / Fauria / Williams
9 on the line = Fox, Reiff, Waddle, Hilliard, Sims, Gandy, Warford, Austin, Riaola,
26 guys for the offense

K = Akers
P/KOS = Martin
Returner = Edwards

25 guys on DEFENSE
D-Line = Ansah, Suh, Fairley, Young, Jones, Mosley, Idonije, Saddler-McQueen, Taylor
LB = Palmer, Tulloch, Levy, Whitehead, White, Lewis
CB = Houston, Slay, Bentley, Greenwood, Green, Mathis (CB/S)
S = Delmas, Quin, Carey, Wendling

Practice squad = WR Fuller, S Neloms, LB Morgan, C Keyton, RB Miller, WR Willis (is he still eligible? If not, maybe swap him and TE Williams; Williams on the PS, Willis on the 53-man roster)
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#47 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:34 am

ajaX82 wrote:Kellen Moore has won the QB3 job it appears. I think we keep him, hoping he can become primary backup soon-ish. And Akers is definitely the kicker. Bummer, because Ruglands story and leg were very intriguing

As much as i like Shaun Hill, Moore has looked impressive or at the very least made his receivers look a lot better than they are
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#48 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:34 am

Leshoure just doesn't have that different gear
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#49 » by ajaX82 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:11 am

Some pretty easy predictions from a game I watched on and off, for roster spots: Steven Miller as return guy, Joique Bell clearly #2 RB, Fauria makes team. I would really try and shop Kellen Moore. I hope Kolb or Manuel get healthy early, because that QB situation otherwise is crazy bad.

I thought Willie Young was going to take another personal foul early for jawing at some dude; would have been a cuttable offense if it happened.

Stafford not good, though drops and no CJ does hurt. Still, he continues to not show signs of improving; another coaching squad success!
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#50 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:03 am

jamarcus webb is available.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#51 » by ajaX82 » Mon Sep 2, 2013 3:21 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:jamarcus webb is available.

Claimed by Vikes and he is terrible
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#52 » by Lionlifer » Tue Sep 3, 2013 2:53 pm

Meachem was cut, haven't seen him in SD, worth a shot? How much would he cost us? Could be a nice add on to our WR corps at the right price.....
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#53 » by chrbal » Tue Sep 3, 2013 4:39 pm

Meachem sustained a concussion in the Chargers preseason finale. Lets not sign him.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#54 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Sep 4, 2013 2:15 am

slim pickings all around
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Re: Lion News and Related Articles 

Post#55 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:46 pm

So some anoynomous source is claiming that Suh plays to hard in practice and needs to ease back and that the team secretly hates him. This is the guy mind you that the TEAM voted captain. According to Dom. Raiola , Suh plays hard "like a professional".

1.) Its very encouraging to hear bad news about Suh and have his own teammates legitimately defend him

2.) At this point, i do feel the media is targeting him
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#56 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:48 pm

Last week apparently he almost shot a cable guy in his tree at 11pm. This is according to the cable guy. The video surveillance shows Suh come out with a BB gun, realize its the cable guy and have a 5 min chat with him. The cable guy apparently was trying to get rich by saying Suh threatened him
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#57 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:57 am

Article about Sunday's Game against WASH:

There was never a doubt in Matthew Stafford’s mind that the Lions would go for it on fourth-and-1 on the Washington 12 and Detroit perilously clinging to a 20-17 lead with under five minutes remaining in the game. Stafford went into the huddle and asked center Dominic Raiola whether he should sneak it left or right. Raiola told him go left. Stafford turned to backup running back Joique Bell in the huddle and told him that “if I look like I’m getting stuck, just push me.”

“You never get a chance to relax when you’re a Detroit Lion,” wide receiver Nate Burleson said. “Whether it’s people telling you that you’re not as good as you are, or people telling you that you’re terrible or that there’s another demon that you have to exorcize, it’s all good because it’s great motivation.”

Ain't that the truth
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#58 » by Piston Pete » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:22 pm

The Dallas Cowboys have signed CB Greenwood off our practice squad. Bummer....
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#59 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:01 pm

Piston Pete wrote:The Dallas Cowboys have signed CB Greenwood off our practice squad. Bummer....

That is a bummer, though the coaches rave about Greenwood and how could he could be with technique, they also rave about bentley and slay and they actually made the team
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#60 » by chrbal » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Lions claimed D'Anthony Smith.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... f-waivers/

As far as Greenwood. I say this is good, let him get experience and then we can get him back later. Unless he just does unbelievable and becomes a cornerstone. Its not like hes gone forever.

Return to Detroit Lions