Moderator: theBigLip

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: 2011/12 Draft Prospects 

Post#121 » by Icness » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 am

Piston Pete wrote:
Icness wrote:
TSE wrote:Need to find an exit strategy for Peterman or Raiola to get good efficiency by taking one of those fine players. They are positionally inconvenient as things stand right now. As is every position other than LT or CB. S is 3rd in line and could be a glitzy splash.

Wow, we agree completely on something.

My ideal (for now) Lions draft:
1st--Mark Barron, S, Alabama
2nd--Leonard Johnson, CB, Iowa State
3rd--Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State
4th--Robert Turbin, RB, Utah State
5th--William Vlachos, G/C, Alabama
6th--Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly
7th--Danny Trevathan, LB, Kentucky

Any reasonings for the picks?

Peronally, I wouldn't care for that draft. I'm sure we could do a lot worse, but that draft is "meh" IMO.

All of those guys are what I would consider "safe" relative to their draft spot. This team doesn't need any more sizzle, it needs solid players that are up to the task of supporting Stafford, Johnson, Suh, Avril, Tulloch, Pettigrew, Young, and the rest of the DL.

We don't need a QB, a WR, or a pass rusher and those are the premium draft positions. Good year to soak up value at the other spots, i.e. get the #1 safety instead of the #5 corner with the 1st, get a top 5 guard instead of the #22 OLB in the 3rd. That's the way I would approach this draft.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#122 » by Piston Pete » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Seems like a solid draft strategy going into this draft....When is the combine? When can teams start bringing in guys for workouts?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#123 » by Icness » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:56 pm

Combine is late Feb.

Individual workouts start the week after that I think. Free agency starts right around then too.

I talked to Jim Schwartz a little this week. Everything was informal and off the record but I can share this:
--He is a very strong believer in Mikel Leshoure and Leshoure will be used extensively next year.

--Attention to detail will be an offseason emphasis.

--He likes the corner class down here in Mobile, but it's just a first impression.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#124 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:38 pm

What do you think he's getting at when he talks about attention to detail as being an offseason emphasis?

I can we the week-to-week attn-to-detail in game planning, focus, in-game production, etc.

Not quite sure what he's hinting at as far as offseason goes, however.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#125 » by Icness » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:06 pm

The attention to detail is everything from how the coaches get the players ready for the game to how they handle mistakes in practice to better managing game situations. I got the distinct impression that Schwartz feels like the #1 thing he can do better as a coach is to help put his players in better situations to succeed, and that means preparing them for dealing with scenarios better and making them mentally tougher.

Spent Thursday afternoon for a good two hours with a Lions assistant coach. They are looking hard at the corners in Mobile but also the OL. If you get a chance to watch the Senior Bowl pay particular attention to Georgia OL Cordy Glenn and Baylor C Phil Blake. The Lions are :wink:
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#126 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:02 pm

I like what I read about Cordy Glenn...seems like a big mofo who can play all over the line. I like that. Jenkins, if he is there, screams Detroit to me. Got some swag, lotta talent, fills a need.

Why would we be spending a first on LB though, aka Zach Brown? We need depth, sure, but aren't Durant, Levy and Tulloch (assuming he resigns) pretty entrenched as starters? Brown kinda looks like Ernie Sims to me a bit too; plays super fast and tons of talent, but overruns plays and isn't super fundamentally sound. Maybe I'm just reading negative scouting reports, but Ice you say he is a best-case scenario for us...do tell
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 232

Post#127 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Feb 1, 2012 7:42 am

It sounds like the Lions were busy looking at the RBs in during the Senior Bowl. It makes sense considering the rumors going around the Lions are concerned Best is finished.

I don't think we can rule a the Lions taking a LB even if Tulloch resigns. Mayhew says they'll still take the BPA approach.

Isn't Levy a free agent too?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#128 » by Icness » Wed Feb 1, 2012 2:21 pm

Isn't Levy a free agent too?

He's restricted, so the Lions will have the chance to match any offer or get compensation. It will be interesting to see what he can draw on the open market; I'm not sure the Lions will want to pay that much for him. We'll see what happens but that will be resolved before the draft.

It sounds like the Lions were busy looking at the RBs in during the Senior Bowl. It makes sense considering the rumors going around the Lions are concerned Best is finished.

I cannot stress enough how high the coaching staff is on Mikel Leshoure. They see him as a bonus 1st round pick this year and he will absolutely be the starter in 2012. With Kevin Smith coming back (and he will be back) and Joique Bell still around that pretty much rules out a high pick on a RB. I know they have interest in a 3rd down back type of player, which certainly could come in the later parts of the draft.

When I asked Schwartz about Best he was quick to deflect it and get off the subject. I don't know him well enough to tell you how to read that.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#129 » by Icness » Wed Feb 1, 2012 2:29 pm

ajaX82 wrote:I like what I read about Cordy Glenn...seems like a big mofo who can play all over the line. I like that. Jenkins, if he is there, screams Detroit to me. Got some swag, lotta talent, fills a need.

Why would we be spending a first on LB though, aka Zach Brown? We need depth, sure, but aren't Durant, Levy and Tulloch (assuming he resigns) pretty entrenched as starters? Brown kinda looks like Ernie Sims to me a bit too; plays super fast and tons of talent, but overruns plays and isn't super fundamentally sound. Maybe I'm just reading negative scouting reports, but Ice you say he is a best-case scenario for us...do tell

Your description of Glenn is dead on. I see him best as a RT but he was the best LT in Mobile too despite mostly playing guard at Georgia.

Jenkins would be fine by me.

Brown is a more finished, disciplined product than Sims was. Ernie was a bigger hitter and had more collegiate hype on him. Brown is excellent in coverage (though he cannot catch) and he doesn't get off focus like a lot of the fast LBs. He was a HS running back and he sees the offense thru those eyes, has a real good understanding of what the runner sees and how he will react. He was also a great kick returner. His former coach Butch Davis claims Brown has clocked a 4.38 40.

I would probably prefer a top-flight corner over Brown given the roster makeup right now but what I really want is bang for my buck. I was probably too enthusiastic about Brown because my best-case scenario is to trade out of the first and use that extra cap money to help re-sign Calvin Johnson and Tulloch, plus pick up an extra pick or two down the line.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#130 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Feb 2, 2012 6:59 am

^From mel Kip's draft board, it seemed that we'll be picking off the 2nd tier CB's and LB's. If so and we do trade out of the first round, will there be any comparable CB's/LB's we could select in the 2nd round?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#131 » by Icness » Thu Feb 2, 2012 1:12 pm

The biggest difference between a CB or a LB at #20 and #40 is ceiling, usually tied to athletic ability. The guy at #20 (say Janoris Jenkins) could be a perennial Pro Bowler, while the guy at #40 (say Casey Hayward) might just be a strong starter that makes a Pro Bowl here and there.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#132 » by TSE » Sat Feb 4, 2012 12:20 am

I have a strong feeling that Mayhew will trade up or down. There's no special value to being in the spot we are at; to be + or - 10 spots would be more interesting. I would rather see more picks so I'd hope for the trade-down.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#133 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 am

Interesting story on Detroit free in regards to us drafting DE instead of signing Avril. then we could improve our secondary through FA.

I'd rather go after a guy like brown or jenkins(preferable).

i'd rather not overpay for avril either. He played well, but it was a contract year. i liked what i saw out of Willie Young. Any thoughts on how we should approach this?
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#134 » by ajaX82 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:32 am

^ Kinda all depends on how much he wants. I'm not sure what the FA market for DEs is, but he could command a decent sum. Letting him walk wouldn't be the worst move ever if we saved a lot of cash and used it to resign CJ, especially with Young and Jackson playing well
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#135 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:11 am

^i agree i think with Fairley, KVB, and Suh, Young and Jackson can fill that position til next year
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#136 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 am

Finnigen(spelling?) might become a FA, and DFP reporting that Lions might be interested considering Schwartz and him have history. He's 28 years old seeking 10mil. Don't know much about him, is he a shut down corner, should we go after him, will we go after him?
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#137 » by Lionlifer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:09 pm

Blkbrd671 wrote:Finnigen(spelling?) might become a FA, and DFP reporting that Lions might be interested considering Schwartz and him have history. He's 28 years old seeking 10mil. Don't know much about him, is he a shut down corner, should we go after him, will we go after him?

I like the idea of getting him, but at that price, it might be hard to swing with all the FA we have. Also, I heard that the Rams are in the running since they hired Fisher, so it could be harder to get him. He's a great player, but I don't think we can overpay for anyone right now.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#138 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:45 pm

At this point i'd rather draft Jenkins and address our FA's.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#139 » by Icness » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:17 pm

The Lions cannot afford ANY outside free agents. If Avril gets franchised and they bring back one of the backup QBs, that's the cap. Period. Giving Johnson a new deal and restructuring Suh and maybe KVB can free up some money, but that money goes to Backus, Tulloch, and Wright. Stafford restructured last year and unfortunately this year the Lions have to pay the piper on him.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#140 » by TSE » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:15 am

To me the FA pool is of weak value to consider investing in without first identifying what executable trade options exist, so that's all I care about is dealing with that first, then you can talk about FA and know what everything is more precisely worth to you.

This team is 26 trade transactions away from greatness, everything else is just weakly-amplifying window dressing.

Return to Detroit Lions