Moderator: theBigLip

TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: 53 Keepers? 

Post#41 » by TSE » Sat Sep 1, 2012 12:25 am

kellmellus50 wrote:
Ronnie sneed, waived injured 3 weeks ago

Thanks, I just saw that myself as I was googling just now and edited the above post. It would be nice if they listed it in the Transactions section with all of the, you know, transactions.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#42 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Sep 1, 2012 12:32 am

I still think they are just holding Kellen Moore untill they get a claim awarded to them on another Q.B. but they have to wait till they see if a lower team gets to the Q.B. first. last year they put a couple claims on people so i don't think this is final yet,
TSE
Banned User

Post#43 » by TSE » Sat Sep 1, 2012 12:34 am

kellmellus50 wrote:I still think they are just holding Kellen Moore untill they get a claim awarded to them on another Q.B. but they have to wait till they see if a lower team gets to the Q.B. first. last year they put a couple claims on people so i don't think this is final yet,

Sure but if we want a QB that is better than him then we should release him now so that the QB we do want has less chance of getting scooped up in case another team ahead of us prefers Kellen Moore to claim. Use him as bait. There are plenty of QBs out there and I don't see how Moore would ever get on the field or develop much trade value. There are much better ways to find a QB asset that we can make strategic choices with and Moore doesn't fit the profile to do that well unless we were going to do something other than the traditional Stafford plays all of every game plan.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#44 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Sep 1, 2012 12:50 am

TSE wrote:
kellmellus50 wrote:I still think they are just holding Kellen Moore untill they get a claim awarded to them on another Q.B. but they have to wait till they see if a lower team gets to the Q.B. first. last year they put a couple claims on people so i don't think this is final yet,

Sure but if we want a QB that is better than him then we should release him now so that the QB we do want has less chance of getting scooped up in case another team ahead of us prefers Kellen Moore to claim. Use him as bait. There are plenty of QBs out there and I don't see how Moore would ever get on the field or develop much trade value. There are much better ways to find a QB asset that we can make strategic choices with and Moore doesn't fit the profile to do that well unless we were going to do something other than the traditional Stafford plays all of every game plan.

The lions think that if they can't get the QB that they want they will just keep kellen moore .Your way of thinking is good and right, but you know the lions they are doing it the other way.We will see what happens the next 2 days.

QB released = Josh mccown, Matt Simms,Vince young,Sage Rosenfels
Mike Kakfa ,Senneca Wallace

it's worth pointing out that this roster is by no means final with waiver claims still yet to take place, but for now, Osgood is on the team, as is Moore.

I am ok with all the players that were let go. What I am not ok with is that Kellen was kept in ANY of their places. He has NO value to this team this year and anyone who thinks he will be valueable in the future is crazy. When we need a new Backup QB it will be Drew Stanton again. Trust me. . If we sign a Corner and keep 6 and drop Kellen than this will all make sense. One injury to a WR and we are in the same position as we were last year. NO 4 WR sets
TSE
Banned User

Post#45 » by TSE » Sat Sep 1, 2012 2:21 am

Exactly, We spent a high draft pick on Drew Stanton and still couldn't figure out a way to use him on the field or trade him. It's ridiculous. We waste so many opportunities and for what? To lose! I'm fine with all of these cuts, so long as we have our act together and dominate. What I don't tolerate is failure otherwise why did you keep the guys you did keep if you were just going to fail with them? At least go down with the best talent and the best strategy and don't waste any roster spots on clowns or players that don't aren't remotely close to qualified to play in this league or to provide any positional advantages. So kudos to them if they think they can easily win a SB with whatever our Week 1 roster looks like, but I have serious concerns about our team this year and how we are projected for future years since we are WAY BEHIND on filling the key holes and solving the biggest weaknesses on the team.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#46 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Sep 1, 2012 3:28 am

Kellen Clemens Released By Rams
The Green Bay Packers cut B.J. Coleman,

Kassim Osgood is 6.5 -220 lbs but 32 years old ? how did he make this team special teams, in 8 yrs he caught a total of 44 passes.

i never thought you pick a player only for special teams.

Active# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College
92 Avril, Cliff DE 6-3 260 26 5 Purdue
76 Backus, Jeff T 6-5 305 34 12 Michigan
32 Barnes, Kevin CB 6-1 190 25 4 Maryland
35 Bell, Joique RB 5-11 220 26 2 Wayne State (Mich.)
28 Bentley, Bill CB 5-10 182 23 R Louisiana-Lafayette
84 Broyles, Ryan WR 5-10 188 24 R Oklahoma
13 Burleson, Nate WR 6-0 198 31 10 Nevada-Reno
77 Cherilus, Gosder T 6-7 325 28 5 Boston College
24 Coleman, Erik S 5-10 207 30 9 Washington State
26 Delmas, Louis S 5-11 202 25 4 Western Michigan
52 Durant, Justin LB 6-1 240 26 6 Hampton
98 Fairley, Nick DT 6-3 291 24 2 Auburn
70 Fox, Jason T 6-7 303 24 3 Miami (Fla.)
65 Gandy, Dylan G 6-3 295 30 7 Texas Tech
2 Graham, Ben P 6-5 236 38 8 Deakin (Australia)
36 Green, Jonte CB 6-0 184 23 R New Mexico State
4 Hanson, Jason K 6-0 190 42 21 Washington State
89 Heller, Will TE 6-6 275 31 10 Georgia Tech
78 Hilliard, Corey T 6-6 300 27 4 Oklahoma State
91 Hill, Sammie DT 6-4 329 25 4 Stillman
14 Hill, Shaun QB 6-3 220 32 11 Maryland
57 Hogue, Doug LB 6-2 235 23 2 Syracuse
23 Houston, Chris CB 5-11 178 27 6 Arkansas
94 Jackson, Lawrence DE 6-4 271 27 5 USC
81 Johnson, Calvin WR 6-5 236 26 6 Georgia Tech
21 Lacey, Jacob CB 5-10 177 25 4 Oklahoma State
25 Leshoure, Mikel RB 6-0 227 22 2 Illinois
54 Levy, DeAndre LB 6-1 238 25 4 Wisconsin
97 Lewis, Ronnell DE 6-2 244 21 R Oklahoma
50 Lewis, Travis LB 6-2 227 24 R Oklahoma
11 Logan, Stefan RB 5-6 180 28 4 South Dakota
17 Moore, Kellen QB 6-0 197 23 R Boise State
48 Muhlbach, Don LS 6-4 265 31 9 Texas A&M
10 Osgood, Kassim WR 6-5 220 32 9 San Diego State
58 Palmer, Ashlee LB 6-1 236 26 3 Mississippi
66 Peterman, Stephen G 6-4 323 30 8 Louisiana State
87 Pettigrew, Brandon TE 6-5 265 27 4 Oklahoma State
51 Raiola, Dominic C 6-1 295 33 12 Nebraska
71 Reiff, Riley T 6-6 313 23 R Iowa
85 Scheffler, Tony TE 6-5 255 29 7 Western Michigan
39 Silva, Ricardo S 6-3 225 24 1 Hampton
67 Sims, Rob G 6-3 312 28 7 Ohio State
30 Smith, Kevin RB 6-1 217 25 5 Central Florida
42 Spievey, Amari S 5-11 195 24 3 Iowa
9 Stafford, Matthew QB 6-3 232 24 4 Georgia
90 Suh, Ndamukong DT 6-4 307 25 3 Nebraska
55 Tulloch, Stephen LB 5-11 240 27 7 North Carolina State
93 Vanden Bosch, Kyle DE 6-4 278 33 12 Nebraska
29 Wendling, John S 6-1 222 29 6 Wyoming
59 Whitehead, Tahir LB 6-2 233 22 R Temple
99 Williams, Corey DT 6-4 320 32 9 Arkansas State
34 Williams, Keiland RB 5-11 230 26 3 Louisiana State
16 Young, Titus WR 5-11 174 23 2 Boise State
79 Young, Willie DE 6-5 251 26 3 North Carolina State

Injured Reserve# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College
Nagy, Bill OG 6-3 308 24 2 Wisconsin
73 Scott, Jonathan T 6-6 318 29 5 Texas

Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College
44 Best, Jahvid RB 5-10 199 23 3 California
33 Greenwood, Chris CB 6-1 193 23 R Albion

Reserve/Non Football Injury# Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Age Exp. College
36 Harrison, Jerome RB 5-9 205 29 7 Washington State
TSE
Banned User

Post#47 » by TSE » Sat Sep 1, 2012 3:27 pm

Jonathan Scott is gone, he was released with an injury settlement I just heard. And no you don't pick a guy to just play ST except maybe the LS, K, or P. Heck I don't even like to do that. I wish we could find an OL that can also serve as long-snapper or a guy that can both kick and punt, that would be a huge value but that's extremely rare to find. If you could find it though then more power to you. You would have to have a really awesome impact on ST to justify being active on game day for that role. It eliminates the chance to have solid depth for all of your guys at another positional group and I doubt he will be playing any WR to help our WR group out with spelling them. This team is not prepared to make a run this year, we needed to do so many moves and make so many transactions and we aren't making the team better when there's virtually no position on this team that doesn't need improvement!

I'm very disappointed so far and hoping we do some serious transactions before Week 1 because I don't like how this team is shaping up right now. This is not what I was expecting and we surely killed the rest of the NFL in released talent, nobody released as much overall talent as we just did. And we still have a lot of useless players on the team. Way too many mistakes.
TSE
Banned User

Post#48 » by TSE » Sat Sep 1, 2012 8:11 pm

Lions signed Drayton Florence according to rumors. This is a terrible move. First of all he's old and he was cut for a reason, because the Broncos didn't think he was worth it. He only has SEVEN INTs in the last 61 games, with 53 of them being starts! That's atrocious especially for a guy who is likely only going to continuously get worse with age and more expensive at minimum scales with age, and of course who has statistically improbable chances of turning into a trade salvage asset considering the Broncos couldn't get anything of value for him now at his youngest point in his remaining life. I have no respect for Jonte Green's game and I still would rather have him than Florence, because Green was at least worth a pick apparently and Florence is worth far less than a 7th rounder, he is worth no pick at all.

Again, SEVEN INTs in 61 games with 53 starts. Alphonso has EIGHT INTs in his last 23 games with only 11 starts for just less than 50% of his games as a starting role compared to Florence's 87% starting ratio. This is not a move to build and grow for the future, this is a destructive move that sets our franchise back. We miss opportunity and upside for very little chance of production and contribution gains. Plus Alphonso is 5 years younger and has a lot of fresh spirit and room to advance his game with the right coaching whereas Florence is stale and less likely to be a project you can work with to make better. Alphonso is ready to take his game to the next level and just needs a coach to believe in him and work with him the right way to do this, he's ready and he has the goods to work with!

Green or Silva are considered candidates to get released to make room for him, and both of them are far more desirable assets that we should not risk losing to have a guy like this on the team. This sucks, this guy is a bum candidate to join our potentially awesome team.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#49 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Sep 1, 2012 9:02 pm

TSE Quote : I have no respect for Jonte Green (I agree) he got burned bad on that T.D. never looking back at the Q.B

Lions will keep Silva.

But two Lions sources said the team has not yet signed the 31-year-old Florence, though there is interest in adding him to their thin secondary.

Don't worry TSE he is not coming here yet ,maybe during the season.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120901/S ... ext|SPORTS

UPDATE: Dave Birkett is reporting that the Lions haven't officially signed Florence yet. That doesn't mean they won't sign him, but it's not officially done just yet.
TSE
Banned User

Post#50 » by TSE » Sat Sep 1, 2012 9:16 pm

It was Kassim Osgood that broke the news I guess he's probably a friend of Drayton. My immediate reaction to hearing the news was that if we had to take him on well the first guy on the team that I think has the least value, the 53rd man, that is Kassim Osgood. So I was like whoa hold up Kassim, do you realize that somebody has to get released to make room for him? What if it's you that has to give up your spot that would be sadly ironic, so be careful about your exuberant welcoming of him, your buddy might be coming here to kick you to the curb! lol

Thanks for posting the link that it is not confirmed, that makes me feel a little better for now. The thought of losing Silva or any young prospect just makes me want to vomit. We need to get younger with more upside and not older with more liability and risk. By risk I mean mostly the risk of missed opportunity cost and the risk of depreciation. If we don't win this year then that's 53 assets that all lose 1 year of time, and if a franchise keeper can make it say 13 years to keep the math simple, then one year of wasted time is the equivalent of losing 4 people that could play here for 13 years, that's a MASSIVE penalty to take on.....

We can't afford to dilly-dally and waste time, we have to use logic to protect those risks and create logical efficiencies within our roster mngmt or we will never achieve greatness and we will risk falling to the bottom at some point in the future. We need to prevent that from ever happening and remain elite consistently and forever as long as it is possible. This kind of a move is a success anchor. I've been tortured by hundreds of anchors by this franchise over the last decade, and NEVER was it acceptable for any of them to exist!
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#51 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Sep 1, 2012 10:05 pm

The Lions announced on Saturday that they have signed added offensive lineman Rodney Austin, linebacker Carmen Messina, cornerback Ross Weaver, running back Stephfon Green and receiver Patrick Edwards to their practice squad Saturday.

Austin, an undrafted rookie out of Elon, stood out in Lions training camp. After the five signings on Saturday, the Lions have just three spots remaining on their eight-man practice squad roster.

http://detroit.sbnation.com/detroit-lio ... in/3035651

p.s. I do think they will sign Florence buy the end of weekend , thats the way it sounds from other sources,they must not be happy with green..
TSE
Banned User

Post#52 » by TSE » Sat Sep 1, 2012 10:44 pm

There's also Jerome Murphy, a 2010 3rd round pick (1st pick of that round) CB that just got released a few hours ago. He could be a candidate too, not very exciting but he would make more sense than Drayton Florence. Not many INTs but he also has caused a couple of fumbles here and there. His Wiki page says he caused 2 fumbles in college, but a college stats site says he has 4 so not sure who is lying there, man it's so annoying to not have proper resources to track this stuff.

Steve Slaton was released just now, I wouldn't mind taking a look at him and replacing Keiland. Well I'd rather trade any RB we have for whoever can get us the highest price, and then have Slaton replace that guy.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#53 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Sep 2, 2012 3:46 am

the Lions did not place any waiver claims on players cut Friday. The team did reportedly agree to sign veteran cornerback Drayton Florence. As a vested veteran (more than four years of accrued experience), he was not exposed to waivers and was free to sign with any club.

Brown and Smith Both are now free to sign with any club.

According to Pro Football Talk, 29 players were claimed around the league. Of the 29, just six garnered multiple claims

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... veret.html
TSE
Banned User

Post#54 » by TSE » Sun Sep 2, 2012 4:04 am

Also NOBODY had 3 teams to put in a claim, and not one Lion was claimed lol.

At the end of this season there will be a handful of NFL teams that turn in dreadful performances. Why? Because they have TERRIBLE rosters and didn't use this time to cut out some of their crappy players for cheaper and younger guys that could and should be better than their garbage and also offer upside for the future with potential to save draft picks.

That's how dumb those teams are, whichever ones they happen to be. I could list them but I'm not interested in analyzing 31 teams to know which ones they happen to be, but they are there and they will prove themselves as losers who missed out on this opportunity!

Very surprised at how few the claims were, but the talent cut was not as impressive as it typically is, maybe a slight down year. It could be that guys who are not rookies are on those more expensive rookie contracts, so there is some kind of a phase shift in that the market price for super young unproven talent has dropped comparatively and maybe causing some buyer apprehension.

I would like to see a rookie count by roster for this year compared with the last few years for opening day as well as how many total games rookies play this year to see if there are any interesting trends.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#55 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Sep 2, 2012 1:45 pm

TSE Quote :but the talent cut was not as impressive as it typically is, maybe a slight down year. 100% right (maybe even a big down year)

Detroit Lions add WR Kris Durham to its practice squad
TSE
Banned User

Post#56 » by TSE » Sun Sep 2, 2012 4:03 pm

Durham sounds interesting. I'm ready for him to take Osgood's job like yesterday. He's a big guy similar to Stovall or Osgood, maybe he can play on ST.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#57 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Sep 2, 2012 6:48 pm

Lions officially sign cornerback Drayton Florence

Former Denver Broncos cornerback Drayton Florence has passed his physical with the Detroit Lions and is under contract, according to the team.

The Lions need to release a player because of Florence's signing, but that announcement has not occurred.

Also a man does not have to be released to sign him. We could PUP or IR a player or trade away one for a draft pick

(My guess is green will be cut)

It seems like the Detroit secondary is cursed.

The 2 good players there (Delmas and Houston) are hurt, who knows when they’ll return. The serviceable Berry goes gangsta waving his gun around and is cut. So they’re left with journeymen (Florence), a promising yet green rookie (Bentley who is hurt, inconsistency (Spivey), and try-hard undertalented vets (Wendling, Coleman, Lacey).

Like others said, they need to pressure the QB. Especially with the great Packer passing attack, very good Bear passing attack, and unstoppable Viking… Oh wait, thank God the Vikes are in the division.

he Detroit Lions rounded out their eight-man practice squad by adding defensive lineman Lorenzo Washington and fullback Shaun Chapas. According to a report by team beat writer Tim Twentyman, the pair join Patrick Edwards, Carmen Messina, Rodney Austin, Ross Weaver, Stephfon Green and Kris Durham.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... s_phy.html
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#58 » by chrbal » Tue Sep 4, 2012 11:23 pm

Silva was cut so Florence could be signed. Florence was taking 1st team reps in practice. This could be another year of "craigslist.com" CBs.

Alphonso Smith made a list, not good for him though;
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1319 ... -new-homes

Return to Detroit Lions