ImageImageImageImage

McCown

Moderator: theBigLip

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,095

McCown 

Post#1 » by Twinkie defense » Mon Apr 9, 2007 11:46 pm

Okay people. Word is McCown may be my Raiders QB this season (at least until Jamarcus Russell can step in). What's the scoop on him? Is he bad, or the victim of circumstance?
PistonFan4Life
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: McCown 

Post#2 » by PistonFan4Life » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:15 am

jrhester wrote:Okay people. Word is McCown may be my Raiders QB this season (at least until Jamarcus Russell can step in). What's the scoop on him? Is he bad, or the victim of circumstance?

We have yet to really get a chance to see him throw a ball since coming to the Lions. I think he could be a decent QB if given a chance, but he's never been a consistent starter and probably never will be either. But from what I remember of him in Arizona (go to their board for better details) is that he's capable of throwing the ball down field but he throws as many interceptions as he does touchdowns. He seems to be a great team player and would be good for moral on any team he were to play on, he stepped in as a WR on a few occasions in Martz' offense last year, but that was really about all we saw of him.

As far as trading McCown to Oakland though, I'm not so sure that the Lions would be willing to make that move unless they think that it would improve the moves that could happen on draft day. It should be interesting the next couple of weeks to see what moves could be made by several GMs and I would surely expect the first day of the draft to be interesting early as well.
Vinnie's Microwave
Senior

Post#3 » by Vinnie's Microwave » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:24 pm

What could we possibly get for McCown - maybe a 5th round pick (at best) or a 4th if we are lucky.
PistonFan4Life
Rookie

Post#4 » by PistonFan4Life » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:36 pm

Vinnie's Microwave wrote:What could we possibly get for McCown - maybe a 5th round pick (at best) or a 4th if we are lucky.

I'd say a 5th round pick at best, but reports are that the Lions turned down a 5th round pick as compensation from Oakland. I'm guessing Millen would love to swap picks with Oakland and get a 4th or 5th rounder in return as well, as far as I'm concerned send them Mike Williams as well, but there is no way that Oakland gives Detroit a chance to steal Russell out from underneath them. Should be interesting leading up to the draft from here on.
Vinnie's Microwave
Senior

Post#5 » by Vinnie's Microwave » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:44 am

PistonFan4Life wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'd say a 5th round pick at best, but reports are that the Lions turned down a 5th round pick as compensation from Oakland. I'm guessing Millen would love to swap picks with Oakland and get a 4th or 5th rounder in return as well, as far as I'm concerned send them Mike Williams as well, but there is no way that Oakland gives Detroit a chance to steal Russell out from underneath them. Should be interesting leading up to the draft from here on.

Honestly - I am not sure that I would swap picks with Oakland at this point in the game. From what I hear the most valuable pick might be the 2nd pick. With Millen's past draft record him having the 2nd pick helps him not screw it up. If there were a "for sure" non-miss franchise player I would want to switch picks, otherwise I am happy where we are. If we can get a 4th rounder I would say do it, because we can package some of our 5th rounders and try to move up in the later rounds if there is someone that has slipped. I am not sure of point value in moving up (I hear it is quite steep) but all these late round picks we have might not help a bit. For example, Fred Matua was drafted late by the Lions last year and he didn't stick - I was estastic when he dropped to us.
freddy
Senior
And1: 10

Post#6 » by freddy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:55 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2833560

DETROIT -- Josh McCown's agent said Wednesday he is hoping the Detroit Lions will find a new home for their backup quarterback. "Josh sees himself as a starting quarterback, and I agree with him," Michael McCartney said. "We hope before draft day that something works out beneficial to Josh and the Lions."

It sounds like McCown doesn't want to be here anyway. Though I'm not sure if he went to any other team if he would start. If we can get a decent pick for him then go for it. We can draft a 2nd string QB or give Orlovsky a shot.
PistonFan4Life
Rookie

Post#7 » by PistonFan4Life » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:45 pm

freddy wrote:It sounds like McCown doesn't want to be here anyway. Though I'm not sure if he went to any other team if he would start. If we can get a decent pick for him then go for it. We can draft a 2nd string QB or give Orlovsky a shot.

The thing is, if the Lions want to draft CJ then they don't want to give Oakland any reason to think about not taking Russell. If we trade McCown to them before the draft that is very well what could happen. The Raiders could select CJ with the #1 overall and then draft Edwards in the 2nd round. The more you look at things I think the more clear it is that Millen will try to improve the WR position once again in the draft since the attempt to fix the skill level through the free agent market fell through. I don't know about you guys but I'd love to have one of the best 1/2 punches at WR for years to come, then get Edwards or Stanton as a prospect for the future.
Train Wreck
Bench Warmer
And1: 40

Post#8 » by Train Wreck » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:45 am

The thing is, if the Lions want to draft CJ then they don't want to give Oakland any reason to think about not taking Russell. If we trade McCown to them before the draft that is very well what could happen. The Raiders could select CJ with the #1 overall and then draft Edwards in the 2nd round. The more you look at things I think the more clear it is that Millen will try to improve the WR position once again in the draft since the attempt to fix the skill level through the free agent market fell through. I don't know about you guys but I'd love to have one of the best 1/2 punches at WR for years to come, then get Edwards or Stanton as a prospect for the future.

I also heard that while Oakland is interested in McCown, it is to be a stop gap starter because they do not want to throw Russell out there right away..

If Oakland is sold on Russell, there is no way they pass on him just because they have Josh McCown

Matt Millen doesn't run that team
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#9 » by srt4b » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:07 am

Cade Mcnown blows
PistonFan4Life
Rookie

Post#10 » by PistonFan4Life » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:38 pm

srt4b wrote:Cade Mcnown blows

Yes he does, but we are talking about Josh McCown here.
GJense4181
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#11 » by GJense4181 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:53 pm

Josh McCown has caught more balls than he has thrown in Detroit. I feel kinda bad that we wasted a year for him, and I feel worse that we paid him 2 million to sit on our bench. I feel terrible that we might trade a quarterback to Oakland, causing them not to draft Jamarcus (who I do not feel is top 5 material) and possibly take away our shot at CJ or Joe Thomas.
Edit: or worse, draft Russell or Quinn.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#12 » by Icness » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:22 am

McCown fits the Oakland offense--strong arm, throws a catchable ball, not afraid to take downfield shots. The two big knocks on him are that he locks onto his primary receiver and that his accuracy isn't always great, due in part to having poor footwork habits a la Rex Grossman.

IMO he's like Kelly Holcomb--good insurance policy, can inspire his team for a week or two, but not a guy you want as your full-time starting QB. Which is kinda what the Raiders want out of him, assuming they take Russell (or even Quinn). He's more mobile and less skittish than Andrew Walter.

As for a deal, the most likely scenario is packaging McCown and one of the Lions multiple 5th rounders to the Raiders for their pick at the top of Round 4, or perhaps Round 3 if the Lions throw in another 5th or a future conditional pick. McCown by himself would be lucky to bring back a 5th, in part because he's in a contract year and he's quite likely to be just a one-year rental. Make no mistake--he absolutely believes he's an NFL starter and deseves a chance to prove it. Being a babysitter while some high-priced rookie cuts his teeth is not what he wants long-term. Trust me on that one, I just might know his agent :wink:
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#13 » by srt4b » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:49 am

Yes he does, but we are talking about Josh McCown here.

Yeah, I know..I was just reminiscing when Drew & Mike were calling up Bars in Chicago yelling Mcnoun blows into the phone...good stuff.

As for Josh McCown goes....better off asking an Arizona fan.

Return to Detroit Lions