Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: 2009 NFL draft wrap up 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:30 pm

I think we did pretty well.

Positives:

*We got our franchise QB
*We actually have a TE (and a real good one at that)
*We have a tough Safety
*Derrick Williams strikes me as a perfect slot reciever, who can maybe do some Bush type stuff as well. He played QB and RB at times. He could be a multi-threat weapon, maybe even wildcat?

Negatives:

*Not enough D! 1 defensive lineman, no MLB, no CB's
* No o-line help (Jeff Backus for another year)

Overall, this team is obviously a multi-year rebuild. This is a first good step. Next year we need to grab a LT and DE/DT
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#3 » by Liqourish » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:27 pm

That's the way I've always looked at it. We weren't going to right the ship in one draft, but the Lions got some good players and fill a few holes. Free Agency also filled a few holes.

The thing I liked most about each pick, is that the Lions got guys who play multiple roles and wanted to be here. All of them have something to prove, all of them have stated that they will do whatever it takes to help the team win.

I know people get wrapped up in the big names, but I'm interested in the mindset and attitude of players Mayhew is bringing into the organization.

We now have Calvin Johnson, Kevin Smith and Brandon Pettigrew to play while Stafford learns the ropes. That is a nice core to build around.

Hopefully a couple of the later round guys can at the very least, add depth to the team.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#4 » by Liqourish » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:29 pm

I didn't know where to put this but it seemed like it could go here.

Per Wiretap:

Wake Forest wide receiver D.J. Boldin, bother of Anquan, has agreed to terms with the Lions on an undrafted free agent contract.

Boldin led Wake Forest with 81 catches for 848 yards and three touchdowns in 2008.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#5 » by Liqourish » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:53 pm

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090428/SPORTS/904280311

Steve Jonas spent part of last weekend watching the National Football League Draft. His name was never called, but he still has a chance to play professional football. Jonas, a 2005 Webster Schroeder graduate, is headed to the rookie mini-camp for the Detroit Lions, held this weekend. No team selected Jonas during the NFL Draft, but the Lions were among six teams that asked the 21-year old offensive lineman if he would be willing to try out for their teams as a free agent. "This whole process has been great," Jonas said. "Scouts began to come around (at Colgate) and we just went from there."

Agents began to e-mail Jonas during his junior year at Colgate during their attempts to align themselves with potential pro players. That was when Steve Jonas, who shares his late father's name, began to think it was possible for him to go from a Division I-AA school to a NFL camp. Steve Jonas' father died after a long illness in July at the age of 49. "He was really proud," Jonas said. "Hopefully, I'm still making him proud." Pro scouts attended the Colgate football team's summer camp to look over prospects, including Jonas, a left tackle who started 45 of the 46 games he played. Jonas and Nick Hennessey, an All-America offensive tackle at Colgate, were 2008 first team All-Patriot League selections.

The Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars, San Diego Chargers, Miami Dolphins and Philadelphia Eagles all contacted Jonas' agent, he said. Hennessey will attempt to make the Bills as a free agent, while Jonas hopes to stick with the Lions, which last season became the first NFL team to finish 0-16. "(Detroit's) offensive line coach has the same philosophy and is very competitive," Jonas said. "They also drafted only one other offensive lineman. I'm not sure who else they are bringing in, but I think it could be a good fit. "I'm going to try and make some noise at camp." Jonas, who is 6-foot-4 and 315 pounds, said he will probably be shifted to guard. "I watched it all," Jonas said about the NFL Draft on Saturday and Sunday. "I wasn't expecting to get drafted, I was kind of anxious to see what would happen next. "I got the phone call, and it's been all smiles."

A 6'4" 315 LT that can also play G.

Return to Detroit Lions