GT: Northwestern at Bucky - 11/11/23 - 2:30 - FS1

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,183

Re: GT: Northwestern at Bucky - 11/11/23 - 2:30 - FS1 

Post#81 » by midranger » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:07 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
midranger wrote:I saw this team be a talent devoid, sloppy, undisciplined mess willing to roll over if adversity under both Chryst and Leonard last year (and the two years before). We’ve seen it now under Fickel.

The constant is the players.

Low talent level and terribly eroded culture. It is what it is, they need to purge these dudes.

That’s not to say they’ll be good on the otherside. I have no idea if Fick will work at UW. But no one’s going to work with this crop of players.

After a few days to cool down on the matter, I kind of agree. It’s hard to get an offense going with these RBs…I guess my one remaining concern is I’m still having a hard time seeing a great offense with these QBs/WRs in the near future.

But I’m off the ledge a bit. Just would’ve been nice to see some signs of life against bad opponents.

For sure. But this team is checked out. I’d give a lot more blame to Fick et al had these same dudes not checked out last year to get the last guy **** canned and laid plenty of turds under even the ultimate UW rah rah guy in leonard.

Grit Factory is long gone at UW. We’ve got some dudes out there still believing their Rivals ranks and thinking that’s good enough.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#82 » by BUCKnation » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:29 pm

The Camp podcast had a good recap on this one, including discussion from player interviews.

At first Fickell did a great job of retaining most of the roster, but they seem to intimate that some of the guys who stuck around have basically checked out (this is based on post game comments). I think we'll see quite a few transfers in the offseason from recruits of the old regime who maybe didn't get what they were promised or wanted.

That being said, man some of the coaching things are extremely frustrated. Very undisciplined play and conservative decisions has really held the team back on top of the backbreaking turnovers, although that is more of a player problem.

I just don't understand how Mordecai was so productive at SMU and has, on paper, nice talent in the skill positions (outside of TE, I guess), but the offense doesn't click at all. The Purdue game was basically the only time we've seen consistently good offense and not just a good drive or two on top of crap.

It's awful right now, but you have to give it time.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#83 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:44 pm

BUCKnation wrote:The Camp podcast had a good recap on this one, including discussion from player interviews.

At first Fickell did a great job of retaining most of the roster, but they seem to intimate that some of the guys who stuck around have basically checked out (this is based on post game comments). I think we'll see quite a few transfers in the offseason from recruits of the old regime who maybe didn't get what they were promised or wanted.

That being said, man some of the coaching things are extremely frustrated. Very undisciplined play and conservative decisions has really held the team back on top of the backbreaking turnovers, although that is more of a player problem.

I have kinda agreed/bought into this idea...but I wonder who it is...OL? The LBs that are kind of the weakness? QB, WR, Wohler/Hallman/a few others on defense are all either Fickell transfers or playing well. RB obviously who cares with the current healthy ones. The TE position basically does not exist right now.

BUCKnation wrote:I just don't understand how Mordecai was so productive at SMU and has, on paper, nice talent in the skill positions (outside of TE, I guess), but the offense doesn't click at all. The Purdue game was basically the only time we've seen consistently good offense and not just a good drive or two on top of crap.

It's awful right now, but you have to give it time.

The Purdue part (who have an awful defense, to be fair) is the only reason for hope. Because that's when we had a running game to compliment.

However, outside of that, even with not really having a running game and that being completely understandable - this is my one concern. They had a blank canvas to recruit QB/WR, which are the most important part of the air raid. And in year 1, it sucks. They have to knock freshman recruiting out of the park now at these positions and that may be tough given all of the noted geographical disadvantages.
midranger
RealGM

Post#84 » by midranger » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:33 pm

My guess is Brae is probably not playing through anything to protect draft stock, several highly rated OL are kind of going through motions, a handful of transfers (QB and WR) are likely irritated things haven’t gone their way, the ILBs (especially Maema) being complete **** is likely in part effort.

Beyond that, the roster is pretty crappy. DL are all below average. Wohler and Hallman decent but rest of secondary is not P5 worthy. No edge guy whatsoever. No TE. No 3rd string RB.

Honest evaluation has to be he inherited a mess. Low talent, especially at premier spots (edge, LT, QB, DL, CB) and degraded culture.

The staff hasn’t helped by not getting basic procedural stuff cleaned up by now and being overly conservative in many spots (big cushions, short throws, crazy punt/4th down decisions), but whatever.

This team sucks.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#85 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:07 pm

midranger wrote:My guess is Brae is probably not playing through anything to protect draft stock, several highly rated OL are kind of going through motions, a handful of transfers (QB and WR) are likely irritated things haven’t gone their way, the ILBs (especially Maema) being complete **** is likely in part effort.

Beyond that, the roster is pretty crappy. DL are all below average. Wohler and Hallman decent but rest of secondary is not P5 worthy. No edge guy whatsoever. No TE. No 3rd string RB.

Honest evaluation has to be he inherited a mess. Low talent, especially at premier spots (edge, LT, QB, DL, CB) and degraded culture.

The staff hasn’t helped by not getting basic procedural stuff cleaned up by now and being overly conservative in many spots (big cushions, short throws, crazy punt/4th down decisions), but whatever.

This team sucks.

Allen seems legitimately hurt again, which is annoying because that just seems to be who he is.

The transfers being irritated things haven't gone their way is an issue if true. Those are new guys.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,305

Post#86 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:47 pm

I wouldn't be surprised is Allen transfers instead of declaring for the draft. His stock has taken a pretty huge hit.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#87 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:31 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I wouldn't be surprised is Allen transfers instead of declaring for the draft. His stock has taken a pretty huge hit.

Sure...and I think I intimated the same thing before the season that I didn't actually care that much if he left then. Definitely don't care now.

Chez could technically play another year, but they will need some stopgap 1-year RBs before handing the keys over to the trio of next guys up.

Speak of the devil, Chez is not on the Senior Day list. That would be a decent sign of his return.
midranger
RealGM

Post#88 » by midranger » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:36 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I wouldn't be surprised is Allen transfers instead of declaring for the draft. His stock has taken a pretty huge hit.

His best bet at this point is to transfer for as much NIL as possible. His pro prospects are slim to none at RB.
midranger
RealGM

Post#89 » by midranger » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:37 pm

Chez would be a great 1 year stop gap, but he too is always hurt. Hopefully, the incoming dudes are ready to roll.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,305

Post#90 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:59 pm

midranger wrote:

His best bet at this point is to transfer for as much NIL as possible. His pro prospects are slim to none at RB.

At 6'2", 245 lbs he's got the size and athleticism to be a pass rusher. Sorta similar to second rounder from last year BJ Ojulari. Spend an offseason working with TJ Watt or maybe a coach that trains OLB.

The only thing I don't know about is his arm length.
midranger
RealGM

Post#91 » by midranger » Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:40 pm

That’s kind of what I was getting at. His pro prospects at RB are done. Not sure he wants to put in the work to learn a new position, but he could be dynamic in the 3-3-5 at LB
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,851

Post#92 » by TroyD92 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:21 am

Allen seems kinda stiff to me. Not sure how he'd work as a OLB.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
midranger
RealGM

Post#93 » by midranger » Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:57 am

TroyD92 wrote:Allen seems kinda stiff to me. Not sure how he'd work as a OLB.

I was thinking Mike LB

Return to Green Bay Packers