ImageImage

Packers News, Transactions, Trades

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,164

Re: Packers News, Transactions, Trades 

Post#141 » by Matches Malone » Mon May 13, 2024 10:26 pm

Looks like some of the rookies are in this week to sign.

Kitan Oladapo inked earlier today.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Post#142 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 2:42 pm

Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,903

Post#143 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:08 pm

That seems fair IF Love keeps playing so well. He's doing a really good job. However, I think I would have waited for one more good year from Love before putting him in the top 5. Love has a ton of arm talent, but it might be premature to anoint him. The scheme and the receivers deserve a lot of credit too.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,273

Post#144 » by dbrodz7 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:52 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:

That seems fair IF Love keeps playing so well. He's doing a really good job. However, I think I would have waited for one more good year from Love before putting him in the top 5. Love has a ton of arm talent, but it might be premature to anoint him. The scheme and the receivers deserve a lot of credit too.

In fairness, I think Gute was ultimately responsible for the receivers and scheme that is around his quarterback. He hired LaFleur and drafted the receivers.
Misery loves company
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#145 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:16 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

In fairness, I think Gute was ultimately responsible for the receivers and scheme that is around his quarterback. He hired LaFleur and drafted the receivers.

Yes, of course, but I think he's still getting credit for Love being a star QB before the track record has been thoroughly established enough, and the defense has been too shaky during his tenure to vault him into the top 5 this early in Love's career as a starter. It's one thing to have a guy who puts up Pro Bowl numbers in a really good situation and another thing to have a guy who gets it done no matter what, and I don't think Love has established that he's the latter. Plus there were some awful day 1/2 picks that you could argue have cost them multiple titles during Gute's tenure, and only his recent drafts have been noticeably above average.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#146 » by Treebeard » Tue May 14, 2024 6:41 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Plus there were some awful day 1/2 picks that you could argue have cost them multiple titles during Gute's tenure, and only his recent drafts have been noticeably above average.

Picking this thought out, for a general question to the group: What changed in Gute/Scouts/Coaches to alter that trend?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#147 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:09 pm

Treebeard wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:Plus there were some awful day 1/2 picks that you could argue have cost them multiple titles during Gute's tenure, and only his recent drafts have been noticeably above average.

Picking this thought out, for a general question to the group: What changed in Gute/Scouts/Coaches to alter that trend?

I'm not sure much did. The average NFL draft has less than 2 players sign 2nd contracts with the team that drafted them, essentially when we look back at drafts most of the names we see will have made little to no impact in most drafts. Gute absolutely nailed the 2022 & 2023 but I doubt that's sustainable. Looking back at his old class 2019(Gary & Jenkins, plus a decent player in Savage) seems like an above average draft. 2021 seems like a genuinely bad draft. 2018 & 2020 are more normalish drafts where each landed a star player(Jaire & Love) plus another contributor(MVS & Runyan) but then not much else. I think his only truly bad draft was 2021, he's had 3 good drafts, and 2 average ones.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,164

Post#148 » by Matches Malone » Tue May 14, 2024 8:18 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,328

Post#149 » by humanrefutation » Tue May 14, 2024 8:19 pm

I'm wondering when we'll see a Love extension announced.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#150 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 9:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=u3FvAgSryGaCjvMX12rtdg&s=19
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,879

Post#151 » by RubberSoul » Tue May 14, 2024 9:49 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=u3FvAgSryGaCjvMX12rtdg&s=19

Hafley will get a chance to prove he’s not the same as our previous run of middling to terrible DCs right away by not **** the bed against mobile QBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#152 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:12 pm

Couple more schedule leaks

Packers @ Lions the Thursday after Thanksgiving
Packers vs Bears week 18, location unknown
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#153 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:17 pm

MVP2110 wrote:Couple more schedule leaks

Packers @ Lions the Thursday after Thanksgiving
Packers vs Bears week 18, location unknown

The Thursday following Thanksgiving traditionally has had 2 teams who played on Thanksgiving, so if this leak is true then there is a good chance the Packers will play Thanksgiving Thursday, likely the night time slot
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#154 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:46 pm

Or maybe the Black Friday game?

Read on Twitter
?t=bEZ4hnTS90Yt7bu77XVuUA&s=19
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#155 » by MickeyDavis » Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 pm

Sun-Fri and then Fri- Thur. Two short weeks in a row. Not a fan.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,879

Post#156 » by RubberSoul » Tue May 14, 2024 11:52 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Sun-Fri and then Fri- Thur. Two short weeks in a row. Not a fan.

Agreed hopefully that rumor is BS back to back short weeks seems stupid to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#157 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed May 15, 2024 2:41 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Treebeard wrote:

I'm not sure much did. The average NFL draft has less than 2 players sign 2nd contracts with the team that drafted them, essentially when we look back at drafts most of the names we see will have made little to no impact in most drafts.

That might be a somewhat useful heuristic for much larger samples, but it's woefully inadequate for evaluating one GM. For one thing, it doesn't account for how good the good picks are and how bad the bad picks are. A solid RB or ILB might still not get that second contract, and therefore he gets lumped in with one who's a liability when he hits the field. A guy who gets re-signed because the team has terrible depth gets lumped in with an All-Pro. When you're talking about just one GM's body of work, you need to be more granular because we're only talking about a few dozen picks overall.

In terms of what changed, I think some of Gute's worst work was reaching for a certain type of player regardless of RAS or positional value. They wanted a slot receiver? Enter Amari. Power back? Dillon. H-back? Deguara. All of those guys were thought to be drafted way too high even at the time, and it would have been almost shocking if they had proved worth it. It's one thing to have bad results, but there you're talking about a terrible process as well. I think the drafting improved with a re-commitment to decent athletic traits and drafting the best players available. I think some of the reaching was due to being considered an inner-circle contender with short-term thinking. I actually have some concerns that they occasionally reached for need in this draft, but not as egregiously as they did with the aforementioned duds.

But it still comes down to Love. One good 2/3 of a season does not fully vindicate the pick and the process just yet, especially since they only got one year of production on his rookie deal and are likely to extend him at a Goff-like number. Furthermore, since they were committed to him, you could easily argue that they should have traded Rodgers one year earlier and gotten another cheap year out of Love. Considering how antagonistic Rodgers was being, that should have been a no-brainer, and it's hard for me to see Gute in the top 5 until he accomplishes a little more to make up for that. I'm still mad about them making me watch Rodgers suck for the entire 2022 season after they wrecked their cap to keep him.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#158 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:10 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Treebeard wrote:

I'm not sure much did. The average NFL draft has less than 2 players sign 2nd contracts with the team that drafted them, essentially when we look back at drafts most of the names we see will have made little to no impact in most drafts.

That might be a somewhat useful heuristic for much larger samples, but it's woefully inadequate for evaluating one GM. For one thing, it doesn't account for how good the good picks are and how bad the bad picks are. A solid RB or ILB might still not get that second contract, and therefore he gets lumped in with one who's a liability when he hits the field. A guy who gets re-signed because the team has terrible depth gets lumped in with an All-Pro. When you're talking about just one GM's body of work, you need to be more granular because we're only talking about a few dozen picks overall.

In terms of what changed, I think some of Gute's worst work was reaching for a certain type of player regardless of RAS or positional value. They wanted a slot receiver? Enter Amari. Power back? Dillon. H-back? Deguara. All of those guys were thought to be drafted way too high even at the time, and it would have been almost shocking if they had proved worth it. It's one thing to have bad results, but there you're talking about a terrible process as well. I think the drafting improved with a re-commitment to decent athletic traits and drafting the best players available. I think some of the reaching was due to being considered an inner-circle contender with short-term thinking. I actually have some concerns that they occasionally reached for need in this draft, but not as egregiously as they did with the aforementioned duds.

But it still comes down to Love. One good 2/3 of a season does not fully vindicate the pick and the process just yet, especially since they only got one year of production on his rookie deal and are likely to extend him at a Goff-like number. Furthermore, since they were committed to him, you could easily argue that they should have traded Rodgers one year earlier and gotten another cheap year out of Love. Considering how antagonistic Rodgers was being, that should have been a no-brainer, and it's hard for me to see Gute in the top 5 until he accomplishes a little more to make up for that. I'm still mad about them making me watch Rodgers suck for the entire 2022 season after they wrecked their cap to keep him.

Zero disagreement on holding onto Rodgers a year too long. Tbh that's probably Gute's biggest mistake to date imo. Missing on a couple day 2 picks isn't that egregious because basically every GM does it. I'm not even sure the process has changed much with Gute. Take the Amari pick for example, Jayden Reed was a very similar process in the concept that the Packers "reached" for a slot WR who fell below their typical athletic thresholds. The 2nd time though it led to much better results. The Dillon & Deguara picks I agree with you that the instant they were taken they were pretty obviously bad picks, but I really think that's the only 2 picks he's made his entire tenure that stick out in that way. Josh Jackson for example I think was good process(a highly ranked CB at a position of need that fell to us) but didn't turn out, that's going to happen sometimes. The Love pick will almost assuredly determine how we view the 2021 draft which is why I graded it as average for now because I agree with you that we need a larger sample size to truly determine if Love is a top end QB, but I can't place it as a bad draft either given what we've seen from Love to this point. When you compare Gute's drafting resume to that of most GMs I truly think the 2021 draft is his only true "bad" class.

Plus if we're talking GM rankings as opposed to just drafting rankings then Gute jumps up more given his propensity to find good players through avenues other than the draft.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#159 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:12 pm

Packers vs Vikings week 4
Packers @ Seahawks week 15 on SNF

Read on Twitter
?t=w9U__7moknHuyrje9bUa2A&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=DmfHLpOKlpNXjnmdlyamxg&s=19
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#160 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 15, 2024 3:22 pm

Week 1: Packers vs. Eagles (Brazil), 7:15 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 6.
Week 2: Packers vs. Colts on Sunday, Sept. 15
Week 8: Packers at Jaguars on Sunday, Oct. 27
Week 9: Packers vs. Texans on Sunday, Nov. 3
Week 12: Packers vs. 49ers on Sunday, Nov. 24

ETA some conflicts with other leaks
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.

Return to Green Bay Packers