Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Re: Packers News, Trade Ideas, Transactions - Jenkins Extended - 4/$68 million 

Post#1741 » by Profound23 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:34 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
zmanishere11 wrote:Messed around with some cap numbers for next year. If you take all our highest paid players roster bonuses, turn them into signing bonuses you can free up about 18 mil. Trade Savage for anything, probably cut Lowry (have to let Wyatt play next year) gets you to about 22 mil of cap space before draft picks. Might be able to keep Tonyan with that. Leaves the offense in decent shape but no safeties, thing on d-line, and an extension needed for Gary (all fixable).

If Rodgers retires it frees up another 16 mil.
If he doesn't there will be a big decision on Love to make.

Not as dire as I expected. Pushing everything out makes a lot of sense with the cap increasing like it is.

Total Available Cap:
$232,809,749
Total Team Cap $:
$210,976,927
Cap Space:
$21,832,822
Total Savings:
$19,057,514

TRANSACTIONS LOG (HIDE)
David Bakhtiari cap hit changed from $29,065,514 to $24,000,000
(Saved: $5,065,514)
Kenny Clark cap hit changed from $23,973,000 to $22,723,000
(Saved: $1,250,000)
Aaron Jones cap hit changed from $20,020,000 to $16,300,000
(Saved: $3,720,000)
Jaire Alexander cap hit changed from $20,000,000 to $11,000,000
(Saved: $9,000,000)
Released Adrian Amos
(Saved: $0)
Traded Darnell Savage (GB) for Jaylon Jones (CHI)
(Saved: $7,031,000)
Released Dean Lowry
(Saved: $2,991,000)
Elgton Jenkins cap hit changed from $0 to $10,000,000
(Saved: $-10,000,000)

The bolded isn't true at all

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

Correct. Rodgers retiring is the absolute worst case scenario for the Packers’ cap.

Ingalls broke it down that there’s a small window in the offseason where they can trade Rodgers and the dead cap number drops significantly. I’m guessing this is a way that Rodgers built it in to the deal so if they decide to move on he controls his destination. Feels like that’s where this is headed.

If Rodgers retires he can easily renegotiate his contract to spread the cap hit over multiple years, guaranteeing more money. It would suck for the future, but it would be the only way to survive the next couple of years without gutting the entire roster.

I don't think he retires though.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,289

Post#1742 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:52 pm

Profound23 wrote:If Rodgers retires he can easily renegotiate his contract to spread the cap hit over multiple years, guaranteeing more money. It would suck for the future, but it would be the only way to survive the next couple of years without gutting the entire roster.

The Packers could take a $40 million hit next season, or spread it out to $16/$24. It's really not that bad if he's traded or retires.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#1743 » by Profound23 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:09 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Profound23 wrote:If Rodgers retires he can easily renegotiate his contract to spread the cap hit over multiple years, guaranteeing more money. It would suck for the future, but it would be the only way to survive the next couple of years without gutting the entire roster.

The Packers could take a $40 million hit next season, or spread it out to $16/$24. It's really not that bad if he's traded or retires.

They had Andrew Brandt on Milwaukee radio and he said if the Packers wanted to they could even spread it out to be 5mil per year over the course of 8 years or something like that IF RODGERS AGREED. But I wouldn't, I am not getting into a Bonilla situation. Just take the hit now.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,204

Post#1744 » by RRyder823 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:28 am

Profound23 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
The bolded isn't true at all

Correct. Rodgers retiring is the absolute worst case scenario for the Packers’ cap.

Ingalls broke it down that there’s a small window in the offseason where they can trade Rodgers and the dead cap number drops significantly. I’m guessing this is a way that Rodgers built it in to the deal so if they decide to move on he controls his destination. Feels like that’s where this is headed.

If Rodgers retires he can easily renegotiate his contract to spread the cap hit over multiple years
, guaranteeing more money. It would suck for the future, but it would be the only way to survive the next couple of years without gutting the entire roster.

Nope. The contract is written in a way that prevents future restructures. (at least not to any significant degree and only at Rodgers discretion)

Theres a window he can be traded that doesn't create cap hell. Him retiring leaves pretty much none. It was written that way to give him pretty much all the power in deciding where he plays

TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,850

Post#1745 » by TroyD92 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:33 am

If they let Love leave without ever seeing him get any kind of extended chance its gotta be one of the worst draft picks ever no?
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1746 » by MoMM » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:14 pm

TroyD92 wrote:If they let Love leave without ever seeing him get any kind of extended chance its gotta be one of the worst draft picks ever no?

For sure, we spent 10M in terms of salary + a first round pick that could have helped in other ways (another WR, etc).

The only good news is that the picks that we traded for him became nothing in the NFL and some picks just after him aren't even in the league anymore, so judging by our day 1-2 picks we would have screwed somehow anyway.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#1747 » by Treebeard » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:44 pm

Just a random thought: Crosby has had a much better year so far than the disaster of last year, plus he's now got that games played record. What's the likelihood that he retires at the end of the season? 100%? 75%? From my feeble understanding of the CAP, this season was pretty much the last decent payout, so he'd probably be gone anyway
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,113

Post#1748 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:56 pm

Treebeard wrote:Just a random thought: Crosby has had a much better year so far than the disaster of last year, plus he's now got that games played record. What's the likelihood that he retires at the end of the season? 100%? 75%? From my feeble understanding of the CAP, this season was pretty much the last decent payout, so he'd probably be gone anyway

Crosby has been solid. His kickoffs suck but he's been short on them for awhile now. I forgot his contract is up. He'll be 39 on opening day next season. He very well could retire. His 2022 cap hit was $4.735 million so we can certainly save money on a new kicker. It scares the hell out of me though :lol:
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#1749 » by Finn » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:58 pm

Jake Moody is the answer! :pray:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1750 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:49 pm

This is from King and he's right. Bisaccia had a lot to do with who was brought in, and released, for ST. As far as Amari, he had final say who was returning kicks.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I made a big deal about the Packers’ addition of Rich Bisaccia as special-teams coordinator before the season. They paid him a reported $2-million-a-year, the highest salary ever paid to a special-teams coach, in the wake of their poor play in the kicking game last year, including the blocked punt returned for a touchdown in the narrow playoff loss to San Francisco. So let’s see Bisaccia’s impact though 15 weeks compared to last year’s group through the full season.

Kick returns. Much improved, from 30th last year (17.7 per return) to 10th this year, six yards per return better.

Punt returns. One yard better this year, from 8.0 to 9.0 yards per return.

Opponents’ kick returns. Two yards worse this year, at 23.5 yards per runback.

Opponents’ punt returns. Slightly worse: 9.5 yards per return last year, 10.0 this year.

Net punt: 40 yards last year, 39.6 this year. Not great, but there is a plus: Pat O’Donnell has just one touchback, versus 23 placed inside the 20-yard line. The Pack, however, did not have a punt blocked in the regular season last year, and O’Donnell had one blocked this year. Deflected actually, against Baltimore. And he has faced consistent pressure to avoid others.

Conclusion: Where’s the great impact of Rich Bisaccia? Overall, the Pack is slightly better in the kicking game this year, but it hasn’t been the overhaul the franchise had hoped for.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#1751 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:12 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:This is from King and he's right. Bisaccia had a lot to do with who was brought in, and released, for ST. As far as Amari, he had final say who was returning kicks.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I made a big deal about the Packers’ addition of Rich Bisaccia as special-teams coordinator before the season. They paid him a reported $2-million-a-year, the highest salary ever paid to a special-teams coach, in the wake of their poor play in the kicking game last year, including the blocked punt returned for a touchdown in the narrow playoff loss to San Francisco. So let’s see Bisaccia’s impact though 15 weeks compared to last year’s group through the full season.

Kick returns. Much improved, from 30th last year (17.7 per return) to 10th this year, six yards per return better.

Opponents’ punt returns. Slightly worse: 9.5 yards per return last year, 10.0 this year.

Net punt: 40 yards last year, 39.6 this year. Not great, but there is a plus: Pat O’Donnell has just one touchback, versus 23 placed inside the 20-yard line. The Pack, however, did not have a punt blocked in the regular season last year, and O’Donnell had one blocked this year. Deflected actually, against Baltimore. And he has faced consistent pressure to avoid others.

Conclusion: Where’s the great impact of Rich Bisaccia? Overall, the Pack is slightly better in the kicking game this year, but it hasn’t been the overhaul the franchise had hoped for.

I would love to see the splits with Pre Nixon to post Nixon. I feel like our averages are really weighed down by early poor performances but have been substantially better the last 6-7 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,345

Post#1752 » by Mags FTW » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:23 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:This is from King and he's right. Bisaccia had a lot to do with who was brought in, and released, for ST. As far as Amari, he had final say who was returning kicks.

Uhhhhh...check again, Pete.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,345

Post#1753 » by Mags FTW » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:27 pm

Punt average is a dumb stat that doesn't take into account field position. I'm surprised the analytics guys haven't come up with a new metric to account for pinning teams deep. It looks like these guys tried, but I aint reading all that:

https://www.thespax.com/nfl/a-better-way-to-evaluate-punters/
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1754 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:39 pm

Obviously Amari was left as a returner for way too long. But for everyone (talking online not necessarily here) who has been screaming that Nixon should have been the returner from the start of the season, he had never returned a punt before in the NFL or college and he had returned a total of 6 kickoffs over 2 years with Raiders in 2019 and 2020. For 84 total yards, a 14 yard average. In college he returned 3 kicks in 2018 with a 15 yard average. There was never an indication he would be this good.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,289

Post#1755 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:50 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Obviously Amari was left as a returner for way too long. But for everyone (talking online not necessarily here) who has been screaming that Nixon should have been the returner from the start of the season, he had never returned a punt before in the NFL or college and he had returned a total of 6 kickoffs over 2 years with Raiders in 2019 and 2020. For 84 total yards, a 14 yard average. In college he returned 3 kicks in 2018 with a 15 yard average. There was never an indication he would be this good.

He was an All-American in college at lower level Western Arizona returning kicks and punts for two seasons.

He was a standout kickoff returner at Arizona Western -- a junior college that disbanded its football team two years after he transferred to South Carolina. In one Arizona Western game, he had 316 punt return yards, including touchdowns on back-to-back returns, while also excelling as a defensive back.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1756 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Obviously Amari was left as a returner for way too long. But for everyone (talking online not necessarily here) who has been screaming that Nixon should have been the returner from the start of the season, he had never returned a punt before in the NFL or college and he had returned a total of 6 kickoffs over 2 years with Raiders in 2019 and 2020. For 84 total yards, a 14 yard average. In college he returned 3 kicks in 2018 with a 15 yard average. There was never an indication he would be this good.

He was an All-American in college at lower level Western Arizona returning kicks and punts for two seasons.

He was a standout kickoff returner at Arizona Western -- a junior college that disbanded its football team two years after he transferred to South Carolina. In one Arizona Western game, he had 316 punt return yards, including touchdowns on back-to-back returns, while also excelling as a defensive back.

Ah yes. I missed that. Thanks.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,314

Post#1757 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:13 pm

One of the most impactful takeaways from this game was the LaFleur/Barry hug. He’s not getting fired.
Do it for Chuck
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,234

Post#1758 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:27 pm

That's all fair. But it doesn't take a genius to try someone new back there when Amari was proving to be one of the worst returners in modern history. And it's not like he was a great returner at Clemson either - 68 returns with an average of 7.8 yards per return.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,234

Post#1759 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:27 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:One of the most impactful takeaways from this game was the LaFleur/Barry hug. He’s not getting fired.

Retain Barry
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#1760 » by LittleRooster » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:09 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:One of the most impactful takeaways from this game was the LaFleur/Barry hug. He’s not getting fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Green Bay Packers