ImageImage

2023 Packers Trades, Transactions, News - Bakh to IR; Might Be Out for Season

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,607

Re: 2023 Packers Trades, Transactions, News - Bakh to IR; Might Be Out for Season 

Post#1921 » by Frank Nova » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:08 pm

Should’ve traded Bahktiari months ago. Believing he was magically gonna be reliable for Love this season was poor judgement. Sucks real bad now.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,344

Re: 2023 Packers Trades, Transactions, News - Bakh to IR; Might Be Out for Season 

Post#1922 » by crkone » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:22 pm

I don't know what he's going to do about his knee. He's had three surgeries on it now.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#1923 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:22 pm

Frank Nova wrote:Should’ve traded Bahktiari months ago. Believing he was magically gonna be reliable for Love this season was poor judgement. Sucks real bad now.
If they could have then yeah absolutely. It's possible they tried but other GMs were aware of how bad his knee was. You have share medical info on trades.

It's just a bummer of a situation. Sucks to have what might have been a hall of fame career ruined by a freak injury at **** practice. I'll always wonder 'what if' that year.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1924 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:23 pm

crkone wrote:I don't know what he's going to do about his knee. He's had three surgeries on it now.
Retire and hope they continue to get better at knee replacements because he's headed towards one before 50.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,344

Post#1925 » by crkone » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:25 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
crkone wrote:I don't know what he's going to do about his knee. He's had three surgeries on it now.
Retire and hope they continue to get better at knee replacements because he's headed towards one before 50.

Yeah if I were his friend I'd say that. They need to work on a retirement package and he needs to lose some OL weight for that new knee.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,300

Post#1926 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:26 pm

Well this sucks.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#1927 » by Turk Nowitzki » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:31 pm

Just a complete disaster all the way around. This has to be close to game over for Bak, feel bad for him.

Only silver lining for the Packers is that Rasheed Walker might actually be good.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1928 » by MoMM » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:39 pm

If he retires, does it impact our cap space somehow next season? Like, he still gets paid, but counts as zero? I know that in the NBA there were some injury exceptions like this...
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1929 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:45 pm

MoMM wrote:If he retires, does it impact our cap space somehow next season? Like, he still gets paid, but counts as zero? I know that in the NBA there were some injury exceptions like this...
I don't think there's any difference if he retires or they just cut him this spring cap wise. Hell be like $20 mil in dead cap next season.

The Packers might be able to recoup some actual cash via insurance but that doesn't impact your cap.

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,902

Post#1930 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:05 pm

There was some talk about trading or releasing Bakh over the summer, but most people pointed to how his dead cap hit would have been almost as high as his salary. I think that missed the point, because trading or releasing him would have allowed them to at least take the entire hit this year, whereas now I'm pretty sure there will be a dead cap hit next year as well. I don't really blame them for trying, but even without the benefit of hindsight, it was probably overly optimistic all along to think he could continue to perform with that lemon of a knee.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1931 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:45 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:There was some talk about trading or releasing Bakh over the summer, but most people pointed to how his dead cap hit would have been almost as high as his salary. I think that missed the point, because trading or releasing him would have allowed them to at least take the entire hit this year, whereas now I'm pretty sure there will be a dead cap hit next year as well. I don't really blame them for trying, but even without the benefit of hindsight, it was probably overly optimistic all along to think he could continue to perform with that lemon of a knee.
Yeah I was all for getting as much of the dead cap this year as possible but had they cut Bak this summer would they be at the hard to field a roster zone of dead cap hell? Because they are basically up against the cap now and didn't add any free agents.

The win now mode they've been in the past few years was the right thing to do but we're now in the pain portion of that cycle. But good thing is their cap sheet should be looking great by 2025.

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,902

Post#1932 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:02 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:There was some talk about trading or releasing Bakh over the summer, but most people pointed to how his dead cap hit would have been almost as high as his salary. I think that missed the point, because trading or releasing him would have allowed them to at least take the entire hit this year, whereas now I'm pretty sure there will be a dead cap hit next year as well. I don't really blame them for trying, but even without the benefit of hindsight, it was probably overly optimistic all along to think he could continue to perform with that lemon of a knee.
Yeah I was all for getting as much of the dead cap this year as possible but had they cut Bak this summer would they be at the hard to field a roster zone of dead cap hell? Because they are basically up against the cap now and didn't add any free agents.

It would have been tough for sure, but I'm almost certain that his dead cap hit was quite a bit lower before they restructured his deal. So basically I think they doubled down on kicking the can down the road. Again, I don't really blame them, and that's the reality of NFL economics, but I can't help but wonder if letting go of some other talents in order to be able to afford all of Bakh's dead cap wouldn't have been better. Oh well, maybe this is just my way of lamenting the latest news on him.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1933 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:27 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

It would have been tough for sure, but I'm almost certain that his dead cap hit was quite a bit lower before they restructured his deal. So basically I think they doubled down on kicking the can down the road. Again, I don't really blame them, and that's the reality of NFL economics, but I can't help but wonder if letting go of some other talents in order to be able to afford all of Bakh's dead cap wouldn't have been better. Oh well, maybe this is just my way of lamenting the latest news on him.
I just looked and from what I could understand it would have been $38M mil in dead cap had they cut him. I think he counts for $21M so they would have had to find another $17M to shed this summer had they gone that route.

The main problem is $60mil of his original $90 mil extension was guaranteed. He absolutely deserved it at the time but the high guarantee number is **** the pack. There just wasn't an easy way out of his deal.

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,131

Post#1934 » by Matches Malone » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:28 pm

Sounds like it could be longer than the 4 games + bye week.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1935 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:37 pm

Just a disastrous contract.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,977

Post#1936 » by stillgotgame » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:03 am

Time to move on.
Huge kudos to Gute for finding Walker in the 7th and being smart enough to keep Nijman around.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,782

Post#1937 » by ReginaldDwight » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:14 am

ReasonablySober wrote:Just a disastrous contract.

Luol Deng bad?
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,802

Post#1938 » by Ayt » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:50 am

The sad thing is that he was still the highest rated LT in the league according to PFF in the time he actually played this year. He's a phenomenal pass blocker even now with a destroyed knee.

Apparently, the pain is just too much for him, which I understand. He could be ruining the rest of his life by trying to still play. He should probably just retire.

ReasonablySober wrote:Just a disastrous contract.

I can't hold it against the Packers. Last year and even this year, he was still arguably the best pass blocking OT in all of football. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he was a guy that was going to be a phenomenal pass blocker well into his 30's. Bahk was a guy that could have still been an elite OT at like 36 years old.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1939 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:03 am

There are really two types of bad contacts. The bad the minute they were signed, like drew gooden. And the perfectly good contracts that turned out to be a disaster like Bak.

Sometimes you just get unlucky.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1940 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:13 am

Ayt wrote:I can't hold it against the Packers. Last year and even this year, he was still arguably the best pass blocking OT in all of football. If he hadn't gotten hurt, he was a guy that was going to be a phenomenal pass blocker well into his 30's. Bahk was a guy that could have still been an elite OT at like 36 years old.

I can't either. It's just a bummer.

Return to Green Bay Packers