2024 Packers News, Transactions, Trades - Week 1 in Brasil v. Iggles

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,977

Re: 2023 Packers News, Transactions, Trades 

Post#21 » by stillgotgame » Fri Oct 6, 2023 1:51 am

skones wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:Do we agree with his take?

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=9rpMwNqOSwMJrvAAN06wgA

I mean, 2022 looks highly promising. Quay looks like a guy if he can keep his head on straight, Zach Tom, Watson and Doubs have flashed possible pro-bowl ability, and then you have our first three picks this season with pretty damn high upside. I guess the take just seems like it's painting with a pretty broad brush and a lot of TBDs.

This board is full of fans. We're biased. We love our young players, and love to talk about their potential.
The problem is this potential has to translate into consistent good play for a draft pick to be a success. Right now all these guys are potentially good picks, but far from a sure thing. All have big warts that we ignore because we see potential.
Quay is a loose cannon, Zach Tom isn't really a powerful guy and got dominated last Sunday, Watson could be made of glass and Doubs is a nice WR that's made some nice catches. I like Doubs a lot but guess what - every team in the league has a Doubs, a young WR that might make it big. None of these guys are a sure thing.

This has been a trend since Gute got here. Guys flash but then they need to deliver. Gute's best pick (Gary) has legit Hall of Fame potential but still only has 26 sacks in 4+ years. He has 5 tackles this year. Now of course he's had very limited playing time as he recovers but he's still just potential.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#22 » by skones » Fri Oct 6, 2023 4:24 am

stillgotgame wrote:
skones wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:Do we agree with his take?

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=9rpMwNqOSwMJrvAAN06wgA

I mean, 2022 looks highly promising. Quay looks like a guy if he can keep his head on straight, Zach Tom, Watson and Doubs have flashed possible pro-bowl ability, and then you have our first three picks this season with pretty damn high upside. I guess the take just seems like it's painting with a pretty broad brush and a lot of TBDs.

This board is full of fans. We're biased. We love our young players, and love to talk about their potential.
The problem is this potential has to translate into consistent good play for a draft pick to be a success. Right now all these guys are potentially good picks, but far from a sure thing. All have big warts that we ignore because we see potential.
Quay is a loose cannon, Zach Tom isn't really a powerful guy and got dominated last Sunday, Watson could be made of glass and Doubs is a nice WR that's made some nice catches. I like Doubs a lot but guess what - every team in the league has a Doubs, a young WR that might make it big. None of these guys are a sure thing.

This has been a trend since Gute got here. Guys flash but then they need to deliver. Gute's best pick (Gary) has legit Hall of Fame potential but still only has 26 sacks in 4+ years. He has 5 tackles this year. Now of course he's had very limited playing time as he recovers but he's still just potential.

I said Quay needs to keep his head on, if Tom gets it done a lot more than he doesn't, and his 76.3 PFF grade make me think we're on the right track there, it doesn't matter if he's powerful or not, and I've been one of the more critical folks on Love, and no, I don't think every team in the league has a Doubs, because I think Doubs may already be good now. He just understands how to play.

Let's look objectively at this. Some of the plays Doubs has made in the endzone this season are plays ELITE wide receivers make. Not average, or everyone has this guy on their roster, let me stress ELITE. True or False.
rayallenscalves
Junior
And1: 222

Post#23 » by rayallenscalves » Fri Oct 6, 2023 1:40 pm

skones wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
skones wrote:

I said Quay needs to keep his head on, if Tom gets it done a lot more than he doesn't, and his 76.3 PFF grade make me think we're on the right track there, it doesn't matter if he's powerful or not, and I've been one of the more critical folks on Love, and no, I don't think every team in the league has a Doubs, because I think Doubs may already be good now. He just understands how to play.

Let's look objectively at this. Some of the plays Doubs has made in the endzone this season are plays ELITE wide receivers make. Not average, or everyone has this guy on their roster, let me stress ELITE. True or False.

Since I first saw him play in the preseason last year, I always thought Doubs had some Davante in him. I know Watson gets most of the love -- and I could see him ending up being a rich man's MVS -- but I think Doubs goes down as the better WR long term.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,309

Post#24 » by humanrefutation » Fri Oct 6, 2023 6:13 pm

Read on Twitter

How does Royce Newman still have a job? :lol:
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Post#25 » by MVP2110 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 7:23 pm

Looking at some numbers. Preston Smith has been terrible so far this year. One of the worst pass rush win rates in the NFL. He might be washed
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,305

Post#26 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Oct 6, 2023 7:56 pm

Read on Twitter

"Hopes to be ready by camp."

Jesus.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,041

Post#27 » by BUCKnation » Fri Oct 6, 2023 9:02 pm

MVP2110 wrote:Looking at some numbers. Preston Smith has been terrible so far this year. One of the worst pass rush win rates in the NFL. He might be washed

I don't think i've heard his name once this season, forgot he was on the team
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,136

Post#28 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 6, 2023 10:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#29 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Oct 6, 2023 10:44 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Well that's not great.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:38 am

Read on Twitter
?t=dbJNuZHdsBfH7drtPWgILw&s=19

This is a wild stat considering the narrative around the Packers defense
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,440

Post#31 » by trwi7 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 3:07 am

Love the convenient wording of over 25 points since that wording won't count a mediocre at best Falcons offense shredding our defense and scoring 25.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 3:13 am

trwi7 wrote:Love the convenient wording of over 25 points since that wording won't count a mediocre at best Falcons offense shredding our defense and scoring 25.

And everybody admits that was a bad performance, but 7 of the last 9 games have been good but you wouldn't know it based on how Packer fans talk about the defense
skones
RealGM

Post#33 » by skones » Mon Oct 9, 2023 6:59 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Love the convenient wording of over 25 points since that wording won't count a mediocre at best Falcons offense shredding our defense and scoring 25.

And everybody admits that was a bad performance, but 7 of the last 9 games have been good but you wouldn't know it based on how Packer fans talk about the defense

In that span you have a horrible Bears team twice, a concussed Tua, and AWFUL Baker Mayfield led offense in LA, Detroit twice, Desmond Ridder lol, and the Saints with a backup Winston. There's only one real impressive win in the mix and that was the Vikings last year.

Lets just say there's a lot of noise.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:05 pm

skones wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

In that span you have a horrible Bears team twice, a concussed Tua, and AWFUL Baker Mayfield led offense in LA, Detroit twice, Desmond Ridder lol, and the Saints with a backup Winston. There's only one real impressive win in the mix and that was the Vikings last year.

Sure. There's alot of bad teams in that stretch, but they did what they were supposed to do against those bad teams and played well. I'm not saying the Packers defense is elite, but the narrative around the fanbase is that it's awful and that's also not true
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#35 » by Treebeard » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:15 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
skones wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Sure. There's alot of bad teams in that stretch, but they did what they were supposed to do against those bad teams and played well. I'm not saying the Packers defense is elite, but the narrative around the fanbase is that it's awful and that's also not true

I'd say, under-performing compared to expectations, especially considering the draft and free agent capital plowed into that unit in the last several years.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:19 pm

Treebeard wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
skones wrote:

I'd say, under-performing compared to expectations, especially considering the draft and free agent capital plowed into that unit in the last several years.

Underperformed vs ATL & DET*

Met or exceeded expectations against the others
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#37 » by Treebeard » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:25 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Treebeard wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Sorry, I don't think we're going to agree. I think they're performing at a mediocre level, considering the investment. Neither of MLF and Joe Barry
skones
RealGM

Post#38 » by skones » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:34 pm

There ya have it. Jones out tonight.

Read on Twitter
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:48 pm

Treebeard wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Treebeard wrote:

Sorry, I don't think we're going to agree. I think they're performing at a mediocre level, considering the investment. Neither of MLF and Joe Barry

Besides ATL or DET, which of the below performances were bad?

10 points given up vs NO?
20 vs CHI(7 of which were a meaningless late TD)
20 vs DET
17 vs MIN
20 vs MIA
12 vs LAR
19 vs CHI

None of those seem like bad performances to me.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#40 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 9, 2023 8:01 pm

Packer fans have had two decades of the D letting us down so I think we have some well earned skepticism.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Green Bay Packers