Game 13: Packers at Bears - 12/4/22 - Noon - Fox

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,309

Re: Game 13: Packers at Bears - 12/4/22 - Noon - Fox 

Post#221 » by humanrefutation » Mon Dec 5, 2022 9:09 pm

Sit Rodgers and play Love the rest of the way. I'm sorry, but I don't need any more evidence of Rodgers's ability. We need to know whether Love and be the guy after Rodgers and a four game stretch will give us a solid sample size.

Rodgers isn't entitled to anything in this non-contending year other than the terms of his contract. He'll get paid out no matter what, and hell, if he comes back next year, I'd give him the starting job as well. But we need to know whether it's worth picking up Love's fifth year option and/or whether we need to draft another developmental prospect at QB.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#222 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 5, 2022 9:18 pm

The right answer was to trade him to Denver. How nice would the 3rd and 36th pick in the next draft look right now.

That said, I don't think you can shut Rodgers down unless he wants to. If he is set to retire, you don't want to re-live the Eli Manning ending. That made everyone look absolutely like ass.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,190

Post#223 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Dec 5, 2022 9:31 pm

Are there people that think us continuing to start Rodgers has anything to do with Love's ability anymore? Pretty sure Jordan could have also went 18/31 for 180 yards and a TD while leaning on the run game against this Bears defense. If in two weeks we're still seeing Aaron trot out there with a bum thumb, then the fanbase has every right to be furious. It's not what's best for the team.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,775

Post#224 » by DanoMac » Mon Dec 5, 2022 9:34 pm

M-C-G wrote:The right answer was to trade him to Denver. How nice would the 3rd and 36th pick in the next draft look right now.

Would look incredible. Hindsight is a bitch, for sure.

But in the moment, trading the back to back MVP would have been a terrible look for the entire franchise and would have sent a horrible message to every potential Packer around the league.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,305

Post#225 » by Finn » Mon Dec 5, 2022 9:41 pm

What message is that? That the team might try to better itself by any & all means possible? Those "potential Packers" care about 1 thing - money. That's it, messages don't matter in the least.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#226 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 5, 2022 9:59 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Are there people that think us continuing to start Rodgers has anything to do with Love's ability anymore? .

There are people that let Rodgers off the hook by saying if we didn't draft Love we would have nabbed two impact players that would have been the difference in every loss.

Ron Swanson wrote: If in two weeks we're still seeing Aaron trot out there with a bum thumb, then the fanbase has every right to be furious. It's not what's best for the team.

Absolutely agree if he is planning to come back. If he is planning to retire, hopefully he bows out with enough season left to get a good look at Love. But I think at this point it is realistically 100% up to Rodgers, I think the team lets him make that call.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#227 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:01 pm

DanoMac wrote:
M-C-G wrote:The right answer was to trade him to Denver. How nice would the 3rd and 36th pick in the next draft look right now.

But in the moment, trading the back to back MVP would have been a terrible look for the entire franchise and would have sent a horrible message to every potential Packer around the league.

Yep it would have been tough but I think at this point other than retiring immediately after winning a Super Bowl, I don't think there is an elegant way for a star QB to depart an organization. Also seems that Brady set a precedent that star QBs dictate the situation in real life.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,775

Post#228 » by DanoMac » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:04 pm

M-C-G wrote:
DanoMac wrote:

Yep it would have been tough but I think at this point other than retiring immediately after winning a Super Bowl, I don't think there is an elegant way for a star QB to depart an organization. Also seems that Brady set a precedent that star QBs dictate the situation in real life.

Good point. The whole situation is so tough and, quite frankly, annoying, to think about.

I'm not a Gute supporter by any means, but the majority blaming Gute for the Rodgers contract/Rodgers staying are foolish, IMO. Rodgers absolutely bullied and handcuffed the organization into appeasing him, or the state would have been after Gute with flaming pitchforks even moreso than they were with Ted after the Favre saga.

Hopefully we can get something from the Titans for him this offseason and see what we have in Love.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#229 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:07 pm

DanoMac wrote:
Hopefully we can get something from the Titans for him this offseason and see what we have in Love.

My gut still says he is hanging them up. I think that is partly why he tried not to sit out any games this season, hoping that we might have a shot in the playoffs. But who knows.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#230 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:08 pm

Justin Fields is going to be a problem. He made some poor throws but he seems light years beyond where he started the season at. Game slows down a bit more for him and they invest in a true #1 WR and they got a nice foundation there.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#231 » by M-C-G » Mon Dec 5, 2022 10:08 pm

Justin Fields is going to be a problem. He made some poor throws but he seems light years beyond where he started the season at. Game slows down a bit more for him and they invest in a true #1 WR and they got a nice foundation there.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,977

Post#232 » by stillgotgame » Tue Dec 6, 2022 2:31 am

DanoMac wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
DanoMac wrote:

Good point. The whole situation is so tough and, quite frankly, annoying, to think about.

I'm not a Gute supporter by any means, but the majority blaming Gute for the Rodgers contract/Rodgers staying are foolish, IMO. Rodgers absolutely bullied and handcuffed the organization into appeasing him, or the state would have been after Gute with flaming pitchforks even moreso than they were with Ted after the Favre saga.

Would have been nice to have a GM with a spine. Gute overpaid Rodgers $5M/year and the structure of it essentially makes it all guaranteed. Also the bonuses are structured to prohibit us from coming back and getting a prorate if he retires.

Gute made his bed when he drafted Love. He crapped it when Rodgers was 2 time MVP and then Love pissed in his cornflakes with the stinker game against KC.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#233 » by DrWood » Tue Dec 6, 2022 7:33 am

There are 9 teams that have worse records than we do (and one which has the same record).
If we had lost, there would be 3 teams with worse records (and two with the same record.)
The difference between 10th and drafting 5th. is equal to the value of the 9th 2nd round pick.
START THE TANK!
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 417

Post#234 » by Bulls69 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 1:52 pm

M-C-G wrote:
DanoMac wrote:

My gut still says he is hanging them up. I think that is partly why he tried not to sit out any games this season, hoping that we might have a shot in the playoffs. But who knows.

Rodgers is not going to leave 100 million on the table

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#235 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Dec 6, 2022 2:32 pm

Bulls69 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
DanoMac wrote:

The way Rodgers saluted and waved good-bye to Soldier Field was, I think, telling of where his head is at. It gave off the vibe that he thinks that game might be the last time he ever plays there, whether due to retirement or a trade.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#236 » by M-C-G » Tue Dec 6, 2022 4:10 pm

Bulls69 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
DanoMac wrote:

Tom Brady signed a 10 year $375M BROADCASTING contract when he fake retired. Rodgers would be in a similar range, doesn't have to take any more hits or injuries and can basically work 2 days a week and make almost as much (not quite but close) what he is making now. And he can probably move to Florida or Texas to not pay any income tax on it too.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#237 » by M-C-G » Tue Dec 6, 2022 4:12 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:
Bulls69 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

The way Rodgers saluted and waved good-bye to Soldier Field was, I think, telling of where his head is at. It gave off the vibe that he thinks that game might be the last time he ever plays there, whether due to retirement or a trade.

I caught that as well. Hard to tell if that is just my own confirmation bias though since I think he is going to retire. Could be like a 'go **** yourselves chicago' salute too for all I know.
CWoodfan
Junior
And1: 288

Post#238 » by CWoodfan » Tue Dec 6, 2022 4:35 pm

That said, I don't think you can shut Rodgers down unless he wants to. If he is set to retire, you don't want to re-live the Eli Manning ending. That made everyone look absolutely like ass.

It would look really nice. As would having a top rookie Tackle like the one Seattle got with the 9th pick in the 2022 draft out of the deal.

The opportunity was there for the trading of Rodgers ... to pair with his just departed offensive coordinator in Denver. There was no sense bringing him back with out his security blanket Davante Adams.

Gooty and Murphy were having none of it and instead went the safe, secure route so that they could, respectively, announce their retirement in 3 years and get a lucrative contract extension without any push back from the fan base.

We do what we do in Green Bay and are now further away from appearing in a Super Bowl than at any time during the ongoing 12 year drought.

Oh well, at least we can look forward to another top flight defensive coordinator arriving this offseason.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#239 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 6, 2022 5:45 pm

What do you think Rodgers does after playing? He doesn't have kids so I assume he'll jump right into something. Maybe media but I can't see him as like a color guy or even a talking head on a pregame show although I could actually see him be good at that. Maybe he joins AJ Hawk and McAfee. I don't really see coaching, he doesn't seem to have the personality for that. Or maybe he goes completely the other way and opens a medical mushroom biz or something.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,305

Post#240 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Dec 6, 2022 5:50 pm

I don't think he's a network football guy, so he'll probably go into independent media.

Return to Green Bay Packers