ImageImage

Game 7: Green Bay at Washington - 10/23/22 - Noon -Fox

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ejn1214
Pro Prospect
And1: 699

Re: Game 7: Green Bay at Washington - 10/23/22 - Noon -Fox 

Post#361 » by ejn1214 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:15 am

Rodgers is insufferable. I'm a huge Wisconsin sports homer, and I'm having a hard time thinking of a player I've disliked more as a person.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,153

Post#362 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:57 am

VooDoo7 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:hindsight is 20/20 but really should have traded Rodgers last year lol.

Him coming back made a lot of sense on multiple levels. But then you don’t trade away one of the top 5 receivers in the game, and his security blanket, with nothing else on the roster.

I understand why they trade Adams. It sucked but I figured they'd have something up their sleeve to somewhat replace him. I thought FOR SURE this was the year they'd take a WR in R1, ESPECUALLY since they had 2 1RD picks. Heck, maybe they'll even shock us and package them to move up in the 1st round to get a premier target.

Instead we end up with a guy in Watson who can't stay healthy, and another rookie who has shown flashes but has very suspect hands. And don't get me started on Gute failing, again, to upgrade the TE position.

I think they planned on it, but bad luck with 6 WRs going in the top 15 or so picks. When they drafted at 22 the best WR they had on their board was Watson. So even if they drafted a WR in round 1 out of stubbornness we would still have Watson and worse defense.

Eta: I should've read yours more closely where you mention moving up.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,875

Post#363 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:08 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Him coming back made a lot of sense on multiple levels. But then you don’t trade away one of the top 5 receivers in the game, and his security blanket, with nothing else on the roster.

I understand why they trade Adams. It sucked but I figured they'd have something up their sleeve to somewhat replace him. I thought FOR SURE this was the year they'd take a WR in R1, ESPECUALLY since they had 2 1RD picks. Heck, maybe they'll even shock us and package them to move up in the 1st round to get a premier target.

Instead we end up with a guy in Watson who can't stay healthy, and another rookie who has shown flashes but has very suspect hands. And don't get me started on Gute failing, again, to upgrade the TE position.

I think they planned on it, but bad luck with 6 WRs going in the top 15 or so picks. When they drafted at 22 the best WR they had on their board was Watson. So even if they drafted a WR in round 1 out of stubbornness we would still have Watson and worse defense.

If they loved Watson so much, you'd think they wouldn't have passed on him twice, risking losing him. I dunno. All I know is Rodgers has always been expected to make chicken salad out of chicken **** his whole career. Has he made later round picks work? Of course. But when has the franchise ever really put any effort into getting WRs/TEs to help HIM out?

I'm sure he sees how other teams are proactive in getting their franchise QB some help. And then you have the whole Love pick. I don't blame him for being a little irritated with the current state of WRs/TEs.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,514

Post#364 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:18 am

So how's are pad level?
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,514

Post#365 » by HKPackFan » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:21 am

R-E-L-A-X

this team blows so flip over to basketball and watch Giannis dominate nightly. You will get no joy in packer land.
#FreeChuckDiesel
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#366 » by M-C-G » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:49 am

VooDoo7 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:I understand why they trade Adams. It sucked but I figured they'd have something up their sleeve to somewhat replace him. I thought FOR SURE this was the year they'd take a WR in R1, ESPECUALLY since they had 2 1RD picks. Heck, maybe they'll even shock us and package them to move up in the 1st round to get a premier target.

If they loved Watson so much, you'd think they wouldn't have passed on him twice, risking losing him. I dunno. All I know is Rodgers has always been expected to make chicken salad out of chicken **** his whole career. Has he made later round picks work? Of course. But when has the franchise ever really put any effort into getting WRs/TEs to help HIM out?

I'm sure he sees how other teams are proactive in getting their franchise QB some help. And then you have the whole Love pick. I don't blame him for being a little irritated with the current state of WRs/TEs.

He has maybe the most second and third round all pro WR of all time. This he doesn’t get first rounders narrative needs to die.

Meanwhile he is throwing ankle biters all over the field and Moose is making excuses all telecast for him.

The exception is Amari looks like **** still and isn’t a play maker. Probably need to be cut for someone that can actually return punts. But make no mistake this version of Rodgers is a problem, if for no other reason than what he is paid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,954

Post#367 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:24 am

VooDoo7 wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:I understand why they trade Adams. It sucked but I figured they'd have something up their sleeve to somewhat replace him. I thought FOR SURE this was the year they'd take a WR in R1, ESPECUALLY since they had 2 1RD picks. Heck, maybe they'll even shock us and package them to move up in the 1st round to get a premier target.

2 of my favorite eras of our offense were when we had Jermichael Finley and then that 1 season with Jared Cook. Imagine getting rodgers a Kelce, Andrews, Kittle? Rodgers has his issues but it's not fair that the team never gave him weapons outside of getting lucky with Adams.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#368 » by skones » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:54 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:

I get that Watson has been disappointing but.....

2006: 2nd Jennings
2007: 3rd Jones
2008: 3rd Jordy, 3rd Finley
2011: 2nd Cobb
2014: 2nd Adams
2015: 3rd Montgomery
2019: 3rd Sternberger
2020: 3rd Deguara
2021: 3rd Rodgers
2022: 2nd Watson

then you have FA tight ends Cook, Bennett, and Graham.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but the current leader in receiving in the NFL was a 5th round pick as is the guy who ranks 2nd. In fact, 6 out of the top 10 aren't 1sts. While I'd agree that they haven't used FA, and that was a Thompson thing, the draft capital has been there even they haven't hit which is a separate issue.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Post#369 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:16 pm

Gute hasn't added one notable playmaker in his time as GM

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,638

Post#370 » by LikeABosh » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:46 pm

HKPackFan wrote:R-E-L-A-X

this team blows so flip over to basketball and watch Giannis dominate nightly. You will get no joy in packer land.

Gotta wait til Wednesday for some reason
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#371 » by LittleRooster » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:49 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:Gute hasn't added one notable playmaker in his time as GM

Gary and Alexander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Post#372 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:08 pm

LittleRooster wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:Gute hasn't added one notable playmaker in his time as GM

Gary and Alexander

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The discussion was offensive weapons.

Heck, I wouldn't mind seeing Gary at TE though.

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,346

Post#373 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:28 pm

Sternberger, Moore, Amari...

Gotta wonder if pass catchers is a weakness for Gute. He's whiffed pretty bad on 3 guys taken in the first 4 rounds, and the jury is still out on Watson and Doubs. Doubs doing absolutely nothing yesterday doesn't bode well.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#374 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:19 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Sternberger, Moore, Amari...

Gotta wonder if pass catchers is a weakness for Gute. He's whiffed pretty bad on 3 guys taken in the first 4 rounds, and the jury is still out on Watson and Doubs. Doubs doing absolutely nothing yesterday doesn't bode well.

I don't know if evaluating WR's is a weakness for him, or if he just doesn't value them, or both. But it's a significant problem. Going into this season with Lazard as the #1 WR was concerning before the season started and it looks even worse now. He had a brutal drop early in the game on a third down, and of course Romeo had a couple of awful drops on both 3rd and 4th down. Lazard would be fine as your #3 WR, but to be the #1 guy is a massive issue.

For as much as Rodgers has looked ordinary/below average this year, I didn't think he was the problem yesterday. Some of his throws weren't great, but NFL caliber WR's should have been catching most (if not all) the passes that were dropped. I can't believe so many smart people actually thought that the WR's weren't going to be an issue this season. There's absolutely zero separation that any of these guys create -- even if Rodgers was at MVP/Godgers mode, I don't think it would really matter with this crew that they have on the perimeter this year.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,186

Post#375 » by raysbookclub » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:37 pm

I was at the game, seats in the corner of the end zone, along the packers' sideline. There was a LOT of Packer fans there. The side of the stadium behind the Packers' sideline was a sea of green with spots of burgundy. (The other side seemed to have mostly Commanders' fans.) Not sure if it was audible or visible on the broadcast, how many Packer fans there were.

Anyway, this team was supposed to be about great defense and a great running game, with hopefully average special teams and a steadily improving passing game. The defense has been average, the running game has been a no-show, the special teams have had egregious mistakes (Rodgers' fumble vs WAS was the difference in the game, blocked punt for a TD in loss to the Jets), and the passing game doesn't seem to be improving.

After Buffalo, the Packers should be favored or even @Lions, vs Cowboys, vs Titans. They could be 6-5, with 9 days rest, going into Philly. So the season still is a lets-see thing.

But they need to establish their D; they need to establish their running game; they need to get a new punt returner. Pronto. If those don't happen, this is a tank season.
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Post#376 » by Wooderson » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:51 pm

skones wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:

I don't know who needs to hear this, but the current leader in receiving in the NFL was a 5th round pick as is the guy who ranks 2nd. In fact, 6 out of the top 10 aren't 1sts. While I'd agree that they haven't used FA, and that was a Thompson thing, the draft capital has been there even they haven't hit which is a separate issue.

What this tells me is Gute has been horrible at drafting skill position offensive players.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#377 » by DrWood » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:06 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:I think they planned on it, but bad luck with 6 WRs going in the top 15 or so picks. When they drafted at 22 the best WR they had on their board was Watson. So even if they drafted a WR in round 1 out of stubbornness we would still have Watson and worse defense.

not necessarily. We'd have two 2nd round picks to get someone. Alec Pierce (21-308 catches/yards), Skyy Moore (6-100 c-y) and Trey McBride (3-24, only targeted 3 times) were picked 21-23 in the 2nd round, and Pickens was drafted 20 (26-338 c-y, 21 catches the last 4 games), so it wouldn't have cost much to move up to that. then get another defender with the other 2nd round pick.

In spite of his drops/fumble, Doubs has been a good value in the 4th round.

but really, I'd probably do an almost complete redraft.

I agree with your statement that they didn't anticipate so many WR go so early. Most of the 1st round WR have done well (if they've been healthy). Jahan Dotson looks like an overdraft so far, but he's not in the best situation. The question is: what should they have done once they saw the draft unfolding like it did? Instead of moving up to take one of the better WR (moving up to 12 would have cost a lot, so there really wasn't a point in moving up), they could have moved down and gotten a couple of the 2nd echelon WR: Watson, Pierce, Pickens, etc.
VooDoo7
RealGM

Post#378 » by VooDoo7 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:11 am

skones wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:

Thanks for making my point. My point is they never drafted top end prospects/WRs in the 1st rd. They drafted WRs later, expecting Rodgers to make it work.

And did you really just name a washed up Bennett and Graham??
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#379 » by skones » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:16 am

VooDoo7 wrote:
skones wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:

Thanks for making my point. My point is they never drafted top end prospects/WRs in the 1st rd. They drafted WRs later, expecting Rodgers to make it work.

You must have your own point confused then. You stated they made no effort. Effort, good drafting, and bad drafting, are three different things. I outlined a clear effort in doing so. 6 of the top 10 in receiving this year weren't first round picks. In fact, one of them, Adams, was our own 2nd round pick. If you don't consider that "talent" then I'd say you're complaining just to complain.

Anyone who thinks "talent" is only taken in the first round in the NFL doesn't have a clear understanding of how the NFL works. Feel free to make the point that Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks, and Sammy Watkins would have better satisfied your thirst for talent. I'm all ears.

We drafted poorly when it came to skill positions. That's what this comes down to and it's obviously caught up to us to the point where our mediocre at best coaching can't cover up for it.
VooDoo7
RealGM

Post#380 » by VooDoo7 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:43 am

skones wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:
skones wrote:

You must have your own point confused then. You stated they made no effort. Effort, good drafting, and bad drafting, are three different things. I outlined a clear effort in doing so. 6 of the top 10 in receiving this year weren't first round picks. In fact, one of them, Adams, was our own 2nd round pick. If you don't consider that "talent" then I'd say you're complaining just to complain.

Anyone who thinks "talent" is only taken in the first round in the NFL doesn't have a clear understanding of how the NFL works. Feel free to make the point that Kelvin Benjamin, Brandin Cooks, and Sammy Watkins would have better satisfied your thirst for talent. I'm all ears.

We drafted poorly when it came to skill positions. That's what this comes down to and it's obviously caught up to us to the point where our mediocre at best coaching can't cover up for it.

You're still missing the point. And do you really think Bennett and Graham were anything even close to their prime when we signed them? Not even close. They were all but done.

In Rodgers' 15 years as a starter, the team has NEVER drafted a WR/TE/RB in the 1st round. Not ONCE. That's insane. And show me a list of FA WRs they signed over that time frame.

This isn't about whether you can find talent in later rounds. Obviously you can. It's about the willingness, or lack there of, of the team to put any priority in improving those positions during Rodgers' tenure. It was always 'nah, Rodgers can make others look better'.

The whole Jordan Love fiasco was a slap in the face to Rodgers, and the team. One win away from the SB the year prior. And instead improving the team to help Rodgers and Co, get there, they MOVE UP in the draft and take Rodgers' replacement. That's straight up bull.

And going back to your post, how do you not look at this and just laugh?

Return to Green Bay Packers