Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Re: Round 6 - #207 - Anders Carlson 

Post#41 » by MVP2110 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:45 pm

emunney wrote:
Read on Twitter

Where is the evidence that he's got a big time leg?? I genuinely would love to see it. Seems like he's average on kickoffs and terrible from distance? But he makes up for it by shanking extra points?

I've also seen stuff on twitter about good kickers who were cut and then found success with later teams. Fine, but you'll never guess who else was cut.

He did make a 62 yard FG in college. Basically every scouting report I've read is he has a strong leg but isn't super accurate
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,996

Post#42 » by emunney » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:08 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
emunney wrote:
Read on Twitter

Where is the evidence that he's got a big time leg?? I genuinely would love to see it. Seems like he's average on kickoffs and terrible from distance? But he makes up for it by shanking extra points?

I've also seen stuff on twitter about good kickers who were cut and then found success with later teams. Fine, but you'll never guess who else was cut.

He did make a 62 yard FG in college. Basically every scouting report I've read is he has a strong leg but isn't super accurate

I feel like a scrimmage from 2018 is outside the statute of limitations.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#43 » by M-C-G » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:32 pm

This was a weird selection and I don't want to be in the camp of being a Anders Carlstan, so I am going to just wait and see. I actually thought we had a pretty decent dude last year on the practice squad but oh well.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#44 » by LittleRooster » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:48 pm

M-C-G wrote:This was a weird selection and I don't want to be in the camp of being a Anders Carlstan, so I am going to just wait and see. I actually thought we had a pretty decent dude last year on the practice squad but oh well.

I also thought the practice squad guy would be our kicker this year. He looked good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#45 » by MoMM » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:42 am

After 3 games, it seems we got a good kicker. Let's hope it continues like this during the cold winter.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#46 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:29 pm

MoMM wrote:After 3 games, it seems we got a good kicker. Let's hope it continues like this during the cold winter.

Given his training camp, the fact that he's been clean on all his PAT's and FG's is a positive for sure. However he really hasn't had much to do (which is probably preferable early on to build his confidence) The 52 yarder in the Bears game was a good looking kick but otherwise just a 33 and 38 yarder in the previous two games in pressure free situations isn't telling us much. Long story short, off to a positive start but too early to really know anything.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#47 » by skones » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:50 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
MoMM wrote:After 3 games, it seems we got a good kicker. Let's hope it continues like this during the cold winter.

Given his training camp, the fact that he's been clean on all his PAT's and FG's is a positive for sure. However he really hasn't had much to do (which is probably preferable early on to build his confidence) The 52 yarder in the Bears game was a good looking kick but otherwise just a 33 and 38 yarder in the previous two games in pressure free situations isn't telling us much. Long story short, off to a positive start but too early to really know anything.

There have been one or two situations where there have been opportunities and they've elected to go for it. The Bears kick was out of necessity based on time remaining. That tells me they're handling him with kid gloves. Kicking is a mental game as I've stated before, but maybe backing my toes off the ledge on him given where a lot of us were leading up to the season. Lots to see out of him before I'm ready to call him even average.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#48 » by Treebeard » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:40 pm

Part of the success (so far) must be that Carlson, Whelan, and Orzeck seem to have found a good combination of rhythm and ball placement too.

BTW, I saw a video yesterday where Brian Bresee grabbed the towel off Orzech back belt and tossed it up in the air, hoping to hit the field goal try. Apparently, that's not technically illegal, but might have fallen under a dicretionary ruling by the referees, IF the towel had deflected the kick.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,039

Post#49 » by BUCKnation » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:53 am

Would have like to see him try that 50+ yarder in ATL but MLF didn't want to for whatever reason. He's been exceptionally clean in the few attempts he's had.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#50 » by MoMM » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:20 am

No errors yet.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,994

Post#51 » by FAH1223 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:02 pm

So far, the kid has been fine. Wasn't expecting that.

Return to Green Bay Packers