ImageImage

Game 2: Packers at Falcons - Noon - Fox - Jenkins probable MCL sprain

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Re: Game 2: Packers at Falcons - Noon - Fox - Jenkins probable MCL sprain 

Post#461 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:28 pm

Very disappointing loss. We're going to lose some games so not the loss itself but how they lost that bummed me out. Giving it away after playing well enough for three quarters to earn a two score lead. Obviously Love and the offense were in a position where if they execute on even one drive in the 4th quarter we probably win but I find it hard to put a significant amount of blame on him and the short handed offense.

I think we all agreed the defense was going to have to do their part this season to win us some games. This was pretty much the specific scenario where they have to come through and instead they massively failed in their first big chance. I'm sorry but that's just a game where you have to get an average at best Desmond Ridder led offense off the field way way more than they did.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#462 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:32 pm

Only good news is that the whole division was pretty bad this week. Also, the Lions could easily be sitting at 0-2 along with the Vikings and Bears if they didn't catch some lucky breaks against a short handed Chiefs team in week 1.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,375

Post#463 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:35 pm

Yes, Joe Barry Carroll needs to go. That said, this game was how you’d expect the youngest(?) team in the NFL to play.

Lot of good signs out of this one. And Love looks in some ways how Rodgers looked his first season as a starter.

The big question will be whether Love can calmly run/set up the offense as the season moves on. Right now he’s sort of a mess, with fire drills happening at the line of scrimmage on most plays.

All that said, we were missing our two best O skill players and our top two O lineman.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,177

Post#464 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:43 pm

I think we were all ready for the "growing pains" of the rookies and young players, but the frustrating thing is that this loss wasn't on any of them (ok, Musgrave can't block, fine). It was the established veteran dudes (Dillon being ass, Jaire dropped pick-6, Savage whiffing on the 3rd down jump ball) and the defensive coaching staff that **** the bed. Those are supposed to be the authority guys guiding and covering for the young dudes, not the other way around. The *2nd youngest offense in the league* has been fantastic given the short-handed personnel they've been working with.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,375

Post#465 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:08 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I think we were all ready for the "growing pains" of the rookies and young players, but the frustrating thing is that this loss wasn't on any of them (ok, Musgrave can't block, fine). It was the established veteran dudes (Dillon being ass, Jaire dropped pick-6, Savage whiffing on the 3rd down jump ball) and the defensive coaching staff that **** the bed. Those are supposed to be the authority guys guiding and covering for the young dudes, not the other way around. The *2nd youngest offense in the league* has been fantastic given the short-handed personnel they've been working with.

Bijan is a stud. The league will need to adjust. We caught him too early in the schedule
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#466 » by M-C-G » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:13 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I think we were all ready for the "growing pains" of the rookies and young players, but the frustrating thing is that this loss wasn't on any of them (ok, Musgrave can't block, fine). It was the established veteran dudes (Dillon being ass, Jaire dropped pick-6, Savage whiffing on the 3rd down jump ball) and the defensive coaching staff that **** the bed. Those are supposed to be the authority guys guiding and covering for the young dudes, not the other way around. The *2nd youngest offense in the league* has been fantastic given the short-handed personnel they've been working with.

Bijan is a stud. The league will need to adjust. We caught him too early in the schedule

I think he might be the best RB in football, right now. Dude is just electric.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,134

Post#467 » by MVP2110 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:16 pm

I am curious from a scheme standpoint what more people wanted Barry to do. The Packers ran only 4 DBs out there over 50% of snaps yesterday so they added the beefy guys to try and stop the run. It wasn't a perfectly called game from Barry but this one is more on the execution to me
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,778

Post#468 » by jimmybones » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:21 pm

MVP2110 wrote:I am curious from a scheme standpoint what more people wanted Barry to do. The Packers ran only 4 DBs out there over 50% of snaps yesterday so they added the beefy guys to try and stop the run. It wasn't a perfectly called game from Barry but this one is more on the execution to me

Play more aggressively and put your personnel in a better position to succeed. If they beat you over the top, fine. It doesn't take a defensive mastermind to figure out to put bigger personnel on the field to stop the run. It's insane to sit back and watch a team gouge you and play 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd/4th and 3.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#469 » by MVP2110 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:27 pm

jimmybones wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:I am curious from a scheme standpoint what more people wanted Barry to do. The Packers ran only 4 DBs out there over 50% of snaps yesterday so they added the beefy guys to try and stop the run. It wasn't a perfectly called game from Barry but this one is more on the execution to me

Play more aggressively and put your personnel in a better position to succeed. If they beat you over the top, fine. It doesn't take a defensive mastermind to figure out to put bigger personnel on the field to stop the run. It's insane to sit back and watch a team gouge you and play 10 yards off the LOS on 3rd/4th and 3.

Define play more aggressively to me. Barry was running alot of cover zero & cover 1. That's pretty darn aggressive play calling to me. He literally was putting his guys in a position to succeed to stop the run by sending extra guys but our guys didn't execute. Play aggressive and put players in a better spot to succeed is a nice cliche but what does that look like from an xs and os standpoint
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,778

Post#470 » by jimmybones » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:32 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

Define play more aggressively to me. Barry was running alot of cover zero & cover 1. That's pretty darn aggressive play calling to me. He literally was putting his guys in a position to succeed to stop the run by sending extra guys but our guys didn't execute. Play aggressive and put players in a better spot to succeed is a nice cliche but what does that look like from an xs and os standpoint

Coverage! Ask your talented DBs to get closer to the LOS and cover their non world beating WR one on one and not give them a mile long cushion to make simple slant pass first down conversions. The 10 yard cushions on short down and distance plays are not aggressive, it's about as soft as it gets.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#471 » by M-C-G » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:37 pm

I'll give you the simplest answer, on 3rd and short have someone designated to spy the QB. That alone would have won the game if we were better there.

Second thing, Jaire and Douglas stunk (not a Barry issue) and they need to own it. That was maybe the worst I have seen Jaire play since week 1 last year. Douglas was just pointing the finger at everyone else but was absolutely awful.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#472 » by MVP2110 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:37 pm

jimmybones wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

Coverage! Ask your talented DBs to get closer to the LOS and cover their non world beating WR one on one and not give them a mile long cushion to make simple slant pass first down conversions. The 10 yard cushions on short down and distance plays are not aggressive, it's about as soft as it gets.

I was talking specifically about the run game, people are blaming Barry for the defense getting run all over. I'll agree the coverage could have been schemed better although I think that might be a case where Barry let's the DBs have freedom to make those calls as Rasul was pressing much more than Jaire was for example. Honestly besides Jaire having a terrible day the pass defense was overall fine(not great but fine) especially when you consider we were using one less DB than normal for most of the game.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#473 » by MVP2110 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:39 pm

M-C-G wrote:

I'll give you the simplest answer, on 3rd and short have someone designated to spy the QB. That alone would have won the game if we were better there.

Second thing, Jaire and Douglas stunk (not a Barry issue) and they need to own it. That was maybe the worst I have seen Jaire play since week 1 last year. Douglas was just pointing the finger at everyone else but was absolutely awful.

On that 3rd and short Gary was right there to make the play and completely lost contain. That's a perfect example of a well schemed play where the execution wasn't there
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#474 » by M-C-G » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:41 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

On that 3rd and short Gary was right there to make the play and completely lost contain. That's a perfect example of a well schemed play where the execution wasn't there

Yeah as much as I don't like Barry as DC, the players were in positions to make game changing plays and absolutely **** the bed, a la two gimme interceptions that we just dropped and that Jaire one would almost definitely been a pick six. I'll give Gary a little bit of leeway because I don't think his knee is ready for the change of direction required to make that stop but he still mucked that up
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,177

Post#475 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:57 pm

M-C-G wrote:

This. Outside of the straight up laughable decision to have Campbell matched up on Bijan and have him play 10-yards off on the crucial 3rd & 3 play, the two option plays and designed QB draw on the two other 4th quarter drives was so incomprehensibly dumb from a scheme perspective.

Desmond Ridder ran a 4.52 at the combine. You'd think that any non brain-dead DC would recognize that an offense predicated entirely on the run would employ the read-option and designed QB runs on crucial 3rd/4th and short plays, yet Ridder had basically a free 3-5 yards every time because the defense kept vacating the middle of the field. If the defense isn't getting consistent pressure rushing 4, Barry has no idea how to pivot and make the opposing QB uncomfortable. Ridder was just getting everything he wanted in the 2nd half, and it was predictably, death by a thousand papercuts.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#476 » by M-C-G » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:02 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

This. Outside of the straight up laughable decision to have Campbell matched up on Bijan and have him play 10-yards off on the crucial 3rd & 3 play, the two option plays and designed QB draw on the two other 4th quarter drives was so incomprehensibly dumb from a scheme perspective.

Desmond Ridder ran a 4.52 at the combine. You'd think that any non brain-dead DC would recognize that an offense predicated entirely on the run would employ the read-option and designed QB runs on crucial 3rd/4th and short plays, yet Ridder had basically a free 3-5 yards every time because the defense kept vacating the middle of the field. If the defense isn't getting consistent pressure rushing 4, Barry has no idea how to pivot and make the opposing QB uncomfortable. Ridder was just getting everything he wanted in the 2nd half, and it was predictably, death by a thousand papercuts.

The most obvious thing ever is to make Ridder pass to beat you, for some reason we thought that was a bad idea and for some reason our all world CBs couldn't stay tight on their WRs. I might have cussed more yesterday than in the last ten years combined.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#477 » by MVP2110 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:03 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

As discussed with MCG, that option play on 3rd and short was schemed well from Barry, Gary was in a position to make the stop but he read the play wrong and lost contain giving up the big 3rd down. Campbell being on Bijan I'll give you, they should have called a TO on that because they clearly weren't prepared for ATL to go 5 wide on 3rd and 3. But most of the defenses faults yesterday were just our Dline and LBs losing battles to their ATL counterparts. Slaton had 4 missed tackles, Gary, Jaire, & Savage each had 3, those guys were in positions to make plays and failed to do so. Now if you want to say Barry has failed to properly teach them how to tackle then that I could agree with, but from a scheme perspective yesterday Barry was mostly fine.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#478 » by M-C-G » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:15 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

As discussed with MCG, that option play on 3rd and short was schemed well from Barry, Gary was in a position to make the stop but he read the play wrong and lost contain giving up the big 3rd down. Campbell being on Bijan I'll give you, they should have called a TO on that because they clearly weren't prepared for ATL to go 5 wide on 3rd and 3. But most of the defenses faults yesterday were just our Dline and LBs losing battles to their ATL counterparts. Slaton had 4 missed tackles, Gary, Jaire, & Savage each had 3, those guys were in positions to make plays and failed to do so. Now if you want to say Barry has failed to properly teach them how to tackle then that I could agree with, but from a scheme perspective yesterday Barry was mostly fine.

For the record, my biggest beefs, not having a spy on 3rd and shorts on a running QB and the dismal play of our starting CBs. I'll give Barry 50% of the blame and nothing more, lots of players let us down too.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,133

Post#479 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:32 pm

Snap counts

Offense - 50 Total Snaps

Runyan 50
Myers 50
Tom 49
Walker 45
Newman 32
Jenkins 18
Nijman 12

Dillon 34
Taylor 11
Walker 5

Musgrave 44
Deguara 19
Sims 5
Kraft 2

Doubs 38
Reed 28
Wicks 25
Toure 23
Heath 10

Defense - 82 total snaps

Clark 61
Slaton 50
Wyatt 48
Wooden 36
Brooks 23

Walker 82
Campbell 68
P. Smith 58
Enagbare 40
Hollins 26
Gary 22 27
Van Ness 18
McDuffie 2

Savage 82
Douglas 82
Alexander 82
Ford 82
Nixon 38
Valentine 2
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#480 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:47 pm

I don't like Barry and hope they move on this spring but yesterday felt like a commutation of a bunch of little mistakes across the board that added up to rip a loss out of winnable game. Plenty of blame to go around.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.

Return to Green Bay Packers