ImageImage

Game 3: Saints at Packers - Noon - Fox

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,204

Re: Game 3: Saints at Packers - Noon - Fox 

Post#581 » by RRyder823 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:09 am

MickeyDavis wrote:CWoodfan not around to tell us how the team/coach/GM is ass. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You don't just throw the bat signal out there like that

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Giannisland34
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#582 » by Giannisland34 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:52 am

I know it’s last year. But I’ll have a hard time calling any coach elite. That decided to run Lazard on 4th and 1 at their own 32 in the 1st quarter at home with a lead in must win and in the playoffs. And then even ran the same play again later in the same game and it of course failed again.
Show me times McDaniels and Shanahan has done something even close to something like that in one of their last 4 regular season games.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,301

Post#583 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:36 am

Giannisland34 wrote:I know it’s last year. But I’ll have a hard time calling any coach elite. That decided to run Lazard on 4th and 1 at their own 32 in the 1st quarter at home with a lead in must win and in the playoffs. And then even ran the same play again later in the same game and it of course failed again.
Show me times McDaniels and Shanahan has done something even close to something like that in one of their last 4 regular season games.

I dunno, this is pretty ugly.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#584 » by LittleRooster » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:09 am

Giannisland34 wrote:I know it’s last year. But I’ll have a hard time calling any coach elite. That decided to run Lazard on 4th and 1 at their own 32 in the 1st quarter at home with a lead in must win and in the playoffs. And then even ran the same play again later in the same game and it of course failed again.

How about McVay punting down two scores with 6 min left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Post#585 » by MVP2110 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:19 am

Before that game Lazard had 6 career rushes for 70 yards(an average of over 11 ypc) it obviously didn't work but the playcall itself wasn't nearly as terrible as you are making it out to be
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#586 » by M-C-G » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:40 am

RRyder823 wrote:Maybe it's just me but does it seem like most of Love's bad throws are when the reciever is running free n clear?

I dunno perhaps those are just sticking out more often but maybe he's getting a lil to excited when he sees a guy bust out

His worst throws seemed to be when he perceives the pocket is collapsing and or the pocket is collapsing. He tries to get the throw off and it’s really unpredictable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#587 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:54 am

M-C-G wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:Maybe it's just me but does it seem like most of Love's bad throws are when the reciever is running free n clear?

I dunno perhaps those are just sticking out more often but maybe he's getting a lil to excited when he sees a guy bust out

His worst throws seemed to be when he perceives the pocket is collapsing and or the pocket is collapsing. He tries to get the throw off and it’s really unpredictable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I have a criticism of Love is there are way more underthrows than I would expect. Goes back to the 50/50 balls, I guess. He had a couple completions last game where the receivers were able to outstretch and use their hands. I think as long as he's got young guys who I wouldn't consider the most physically dominant, airing the ball out more and letting them run for it might be better than relying on winning one on one jump balls or come backs.

Basically I want to see some Rex "F*ck it, I'm throwing it downfield" Grossman*.

*I apologize to anyone who gets the reference.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,396

Post#588 » by rilamann » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:19 am

skones wrote:The 2 point conversion to Toure was as Rodgers-esque as you can get. Buying time, moving the defense away from the read, and turning and slinging it back to the corner was a thing of beauty.

Being so used to and spoiled by great QB play as a Packer fan, I almost have to remind myself to not take for granted how impressive Love has been in his first 3 games as the starting QB.

At this point, there's a part of me that just expects the next guy to come in and make elite throws because it somehow keeps happening. No wonder Bears and Vikings fans hate us so much...lol.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#589 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:59 pm

Read on Twitter
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,183

Post#590 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:05 pm

^^^Now if only MLF had gone for it on 4th and goal in the 2020 NFCCG instead of giving the ball to the most clutch QB of all-time with two minutes left in the 4th quarter. But hey, hopefully this means he's learning.

8-)
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#591 » by MVP2110 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:11 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:^^^Now if only MLF had gone for it on 4th and goal in the 2020 NFCCG instead of giving the ball to the most clutch QB of all-time with two minutes left in the 4th quarter. But hey, hopefully this means he's learning.

8-)

You may disagree with that decision as many do, but it was much closer than most would seem to think and it's very likely the Packers analytical model had slightly different numbers that told MLF kicking was actually the slight advantage.

Read on Twitter
?t=0iq3Q6huSPjbokZtikA2OQ&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,183

Post#592 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:24 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:^^^Now if only MLF had gone for it on 4th and goal in the 2020 NFCCG instead of giving the ball to the most clutch QB of all-time with two minutes left in the 4th quarter. But hey, hopefully this means he's learning.

8-)

You may disagree with that decision as many do, but it was much closer than most would seem to think and it's very likely the Packers analytical model had slightly different numbers that told MLF kicking was actually the slight advantage.

Read on Twitter

And every time this gets brought up, yes, I defer to "sometimes you throw out the analytics" and "know your personnel", which in this case, you had MVP Rodgers and Davante Adams. On the other side it was Tom Brady vs. the Packers defense when just getting one first down ices the game. Probably the most predictable outcome ever after that decision.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#593 » by MVP2110 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:30 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

8-)

Read on Twitter

And every time this gets brought up, yes, I defer to "sometimes you throw out the analytics" and "know your personnel", which in this case, you had MVP Rodgers and Davante Adams. On the other side it was Tom Brady vs. the Packers defense when just getting one first down ices the game. Probably the most predictable outcome ever after that decision.

I guess we differ there. I'm of the belief that if you put in a process and you believe in your process you should trust it. I obviously don't know how the Packers analytical model factored in specific players but I would imagine they factored in who was out there and who they were going against. Assuming that's the case then I would hope MLF would have faith in the process he implemented and not bail on it during the tough moments. That to me would be scared coaching
Giannisland34
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#594 » by Giannisland34 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:31 pm

MVP2110 wrote:

8-)

Read on Twitter

Oh, oh!!! Please, please do the Packers analytical model on the 4th and 1 on your own 32 in the 1st quarter with a lead at home, run with Lazard play. Because it can’t be a good percentage and especially seeing it put the postseason in major jeopardy. Or you can pretty much throw every analytical Packers model play stat out the window. Because that was a terrible play for that situation and even worse analytically going for it.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#595 » by MVP2110 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:44 pm

Giannisland34 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

8-)

Read on Twitter

Oh, oh!!! Please, please do the Packers analytical model on the 4th and 1 on your own 32 in the 1st quarter with a lead at home, run with Lazard play. Because it can’t be a good percentage and especially seeing it put the postseason in major jeopardy. Or you can pretty much throw every analytical Packers model play stat out the window. Because that was a terrible play for that situation and even worse analytically going for it.

These are 2 separate decisions that you're combining together. The 1st decision is whether or not go for it and that seemed pretty simple as basically every public model available had it as a clear go for it in that situation so it's probably safe to assume the Packers model did as well.

The 2nd is the play call itself which while analytics can give you detail in what types of plays should be called against a specific opponent it's not like they have a model that is spitting out plays to MLF. I completely understand why some would be unhappy with the play MLF chose in that situation but I don't think it's nearly as bad as some make it out to be. The Lions have a great interior run defense, it is the strength of their defense so on 4th & 1 they probably didn't want to run it right up the middle. You could certainly argue they should have handed it to Watson instead of Lazard and I wouldn't even necessarily disagree but again in 6 career carries entering that game Lazard had 70 yards rushing and 4 1st Downs so he had a lot of previous success when given the ball before.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,204

Post#596 » by RRyder823 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:50 pm

You can single out dumb play calls and seemingly idiotic decisions for litterally every head coach who has ever been in the league.

WTF is being argued here? That since MLF has a few under his belt he's not a top HC?

Please name the coach who hasn't ever called a bad play or made a bad decision

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,134

Post#597 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:45 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,514

Post#598 » by HKPackFan » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:18 am

sidney lanier wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:Like a Jedi meditating.

I don't think we call him a lama
And certainly never a brahma
But one thing on Jordan
You'll find my accord in
It's nice to be shut of the drama

Speaking of which, I wonder if old number 12 sent a congratulatory message to his former "protege" on the comeback win, or if, like the resentful diva he is, he's too busy. The Love era will I think be mercifully free of the disgusted looks that used to follow dropped passes or flubbed routes. I hope so.

I love the drama free aspect as well. No toxic stuff going on, all young and happy pups.

But to be fair, Rodgers has been nothing but complimentary to Jordan.
#FreeChuckDiesel
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,638

Post#599 » by LikeABosh » Wed Sep 27, 2023 12:27 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

I dunno, this is pretty ugly.

I'm laughing at the thought that Shanahan has never done anything stupid in an important game lol
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#600 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:19 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

8-)

Read on Twitter

I think every time I comes up, I'm reminded that the human brain considers an extremely unlikely event (Packers converting 4th and goal from the 11 AND getting a 2 point conversion) in the realm of victory.

If the Packers score 8 there, they don't walk off the field and hand them the trophy. Actually, they have to stop Tom Brady from getting 3 first downs instead of 1 first down still. If we're assuming he'd get 1, he'd probably get 3. Or if you get a stop eventually, you have to beat Tom Brady in overtime.

That's why the analytics are basically even. The human brain is bad at processing all of the scenarios and also considers tying the game a victory. Even if Rodgers pulls off a miracle and ties the game, the Packers still only have like a 30% chance to win after said miracle.

Return to Green Bay Packers