ImageImage

Saints Leadup

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Re: Saints Leadup 

Post#61 » by skones » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:56 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I dislike Barry as much as the next guy but I also think we flat out overrate the players on the D. Their best and highest paid have a bad habit of coming up small at the worst times.

Oh and I'm not ruling out some kind of curse since it's now like 20 years of no matter the players or coach the D always kind of looks the same and untrustworthy.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

I think the talent is certainly in place. Individually we've seen Jaire, Campbell, Clark, Smith, Douglas and Gary have great statistical campaigns. Quay has been excellent through his first two games and Wyatt has had his moments as well. With that being said, we haven't exactly had creative Defensive playcalling within the franchise for YEARS. A good defensive coordinator should alter approach based on the strengths of personnel. It's clear that Barry hasn't done that through soft zones, playing Walker too much in coverage last season, and ultimately rolling out vanilla schemes.

The Atlanta check to Robinson on the perimeter exposes more flags there than anything else. A simple check by Desmond **** Ridder of all people gave them an absolute layup for the first down. If your defense is exposed to that degree with one simple check in that late game situation, it's a major issue. That's what Barry is. Teams know what we're going to do.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,133

Post#62 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:22 pm

I get that Detroit is a division game but I don't want to necessarily just punt this game. Doubs was questionable with a hammy 2 days before the Bears game, he played and has been fine since. I know each injury isn't the same but hopefully these guys can go and be fine for the Lions.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,296

Post#63 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:33 pm

Read on Twitter
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,304

Post#64 » by humanrefutation » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:47 pm

Read on Twitter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#65 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:57 pm

skones wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I dislike Barry as much as the next guy but I also think we flat out overrate the players on the D. Their best and highest paid have a bad habit of coming up small at the worst times.

Oh and I'm not ruling out some kind of curse since it's now like 20 years of no matter the players or coach the D always kind of looks the same and untrustworthy.

I think the talent is certainly in place. Individually we've seen Jaire, Campbell, Clark, Smith, Douglas and Gary have great statistical campaigns. Quay has been excellent through his first two games and Wyatt has had his moments as well. With that being said, we haven't exactly had creative Defensive playcalling within the franchise for YEARS. A good defensive coordinator should alter approach based on the strengths of personnel. It's clear that Barry hasn't done that through soft zones, playing Walker too much in coverage last season, and ultimately rolling out vanilla schemes.

The Atlanta check to Robinson on the perimeter exposes more flags there than anything else. A simple check by Desmond **** Ridder of all people gave them an absolute layup for the first down. If your defense is exposed to that degree with one simple check in that late game situation, it's a major issue. That's what Barry is. Teams know what we're going to do.
I don't even like playing devil's advocate here because they could fire Barry tomorrow and I'd be happy and I personally hate the **** out of bend don't break approach.

But he's not coaching guys to miss tackles or drop interceptions. It's not scheme that made Kenny Clark grade out like **** against the run even though he's a top 10 paid DT. Last season I don't think their better play down the stretch was Barry doing anything different it was guys simply playing better.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
skones
RealGM

Post#66 » by skones » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:15 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I don't even like playing devil's advocate here because they could fire Barry tomorrow and I'd be happy and I personally hate the **** out of bend don't break approach.

But he's not coaching guys to miss tackles or drop interceptions. It's not scheme that made Kenny Clark grade out like **** against the run even though he's a top 10 paid DT. Last season I don't think their better play down the stretch was Barry doing anything different it was guys simply playing better.

I think that's all fair, but what I also think is that our scheme didn't exactly do a lot of guys favors. With that being said, I DO think it's disingenuous to say that Barry wasn't doing anything different last season when that was pretty well documented. Jaire for example, ACTUALLY shadowing WR1s instead of lining straight up.

Weeks 1-12 last year for example, we blitzed (3-4 base kind of mucks this up a bit) 40.1% of the time while playing 69% in zone concepts. The last 5 weeks of the season we dropped to 18.4% on blitzes and jumped to 85.5% in those respective numbers. 3 of those 5 contests came against teams in the playoff mix in Miami, Minnesota, and Detroit, so it wasn't a case of simply playing worse competition.

Think these tendencies provide a lot of context to Lukas Van Ness as I think he's viable in both a 3-4 and a 4-3 which could make him a bit of a swiss army knife and help disguise our looks much more.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,386

Post#67 » by MoreTrife » Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:35 pm

Treebeard wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cool! Some pretty good players in their day, including several HOF'ers.

And Brett Swain.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,977

Post#68 » by stillgotgame » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:28 pm

skones wrote:

Quay was excellent at what? He did a great job of tackling 10 yards down field, play after play. Barry is doing an awesome job of turning him into Blake Martinez.

Watch some Falcons highlights if you can stomach it. Over and over again you see Quay slow to react then turning on the jets and catching guys well after the 1st down has been made.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#69 » by BUCKnation » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:31 pm

stillgotgame wrote:

I think there's a lot of talent on D. Young athletic guys in their prime. We should be aggressive, getting upfield and pressuring opposing teams to throw the ball and force them into mistakes. Instead we lay back and gap control, challenging them to methodically drive down the field.
This might be a good choice for an old, experienced and savvy defense, but that's not what we have.

I'm no D coordinator, but you'd think with the great pass pressure and CBs who are willing to press, why don't we do it more?
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,038

Post#70 » by BUCKnation » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:48 pm

I also think the Falcons were specifically built to exploit our weak run D. We're just not recruiting run stuffers. I would like some of our very expensive guys in the trenches to perform better in that aspect, but we're built for pass pressure. If we get killed this week or next by Carr or Goff, then we have some real problems.
CWoodfan
Junior
And1: 288

Post#71 » by CWoodfan » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:52 pm

BUCKnation wrote:I also think the Falcons were specifically built to exploit our weak run D. We're just not recruiting run stuffers. I would like some of our very expensive guys in the trenches to perform better in that aspect, but we're built for pass pressure. If we get killed this week or next by Carr or Goff, then we have some real problems.

The Packers are very fortunate that if they should make the playoffs, it is not like the top NFC teams like Philly or SF have running attacks that could exploit our weak run D.

And how could Packer fans expect the run D to be any good with just two 1st round picks at DT (Clark and Wyatt), two at Edge (LVN and Gary) and one at ILB (Walker)?

Surely that is not a sufficient expenditure of draft capital to expect that the run D should not get "shredded" or "gashed" (MLF's words after the Falcons game) in 2023 as it has for over a decade now.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#72 » by stillgotgame » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:22 pm

BUCKnation wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

I think there's a lot of talent on D. Young athletic guys in their prime. We should be aggressive, getting upfield and pressuring opposing teams to throw the ball and force them into mistakes. Instead we lay back and gap control, challenging them to methodically drive down the field.
This might be a good choice for an old, experienced and savvy defense, but that's not what we have.

I'm no D coordinator, but you'd think with the great pass pressure and CBs who are willing to press, why don't we do it more?

I think it's Barry's philosophy, bend don't break. Force them to execute play after play, then pounce when they make a mistake. His defenses have always given up a lot of yards.
It's neutering our best athlete on defense, Quay. He's awesome when he's moving forward.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,134

Post#73 » by MVP2110 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:27 pm

BUCKnation wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

You can't press everything. If you play solely press man you are setting up pick plays to be run against you at will. The way most fans talk I think they'd be surprised that nearly every NFL team runs more zone than man

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/breaking-down-nfl-man-zone-coverage-schemes/
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by MVP2110 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:30 pm

CWoodfan wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:I also think the Falcons were specifically built to exploit our weak run D. We're just not recruiting run stuffers. I would like some of our very expensive guys in the trenches to perform better in that aspect, but we're built for pass pressure. If we get killed this week or next by Carr or Goff, then we have some real problems.

The Packers are very fortunate that if they should make the playoffs, it is not like the top NFC teams like Philly or SF have running attacks that could exploit our weak run D.

And how could Packer fans expect the run D to be any good with just two 1st round picks at DT (Clark and Wyatt), two at Edge (LVN and Gary) and one at ILB (Walker)?

Surely that is not a sufficient expenditure of draft capital to expect that the run D should not get "shredded" or "gashed" (MLF's words after the Falcons game) in 2023 as it has for over a decade now.

So I'll ask you the same thing I was asking others last week. What schematic changes should Barry have done last Sunday? He ran 4 dbs or less over 50% of the time so he was bringing in an extra big guy a majority of the game but the guys out there performed terribly.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
skones
RealGM

Post#75 » by skones » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:34 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
Quay was excellent at what? He did a great job of tackling 10 yards down field, play after play. Barry is doing an awesome job of turning him into Blake Martinez.

Watch some Falcons highlights if you can stomach it. Over and over again you see Quay slow to react then turning on the jets and catching guys well after the 1st down has been made.

Dude currently grades out an 88.8 through two games on PFF. When I said Quay was excellent I meant it.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by MVP2110 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:36 pm

skones wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

Dude currently grades out an 88.8 through two games on PFF. When I said Quay was excellent I meant it.

Quay has been awesome. He's been their best defensive player so far. It's only 2 games so I want to see if he can continue to sustain it but it's been awesome to see so far
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#77 » by stillgotgame » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:09 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
skones wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

Quay has been awesome. He's been their best defensive player so far. It's only 2 games so I want to see if he can continue to sustain it but it's been awesome to see so far

I disagree.
Here's 11 plays he made at least 5 yards downfield:

1st & 10 at ATL 20
(13:54 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Ridder pass short right to D.London to ATL 29 for 9 yards (K.Clark; Q.Walker).

2nd & 1 at ATL 29
(13:20 - 1st) (Shotgun) B.Robinson left end to ATL 36 for 7 yards (D.Campbell; Q.Walker).

2nd & 10 at GB 41
(7:56 - 1st) D.Ridder pass short right to J.Smith pushed ob at GB 34 for 7 yards (Q.Walker).

2nd & 1 at GB 20
(5:57 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Ridder pass short right to B.Robinson pushed ob at GB 11 for 9 yards (Q.Walker).

1st & 10 at ATL 34
(11:25 - 2nd) B.Robinson right tackle to GB 47 for 19 yards (R.Douglas, Q.Walker).

2nd & 5 at ATL 30
(2:28 - 2nd) (Shotgun) B.Robinson left end to ATL 39 for 9 yards (Q.Walker).

1st & 10 at GB 48
(1:53 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Ridder pass short right to M.Hollins to GB 40 for 8 yards (Q.Walker).

1st & 10 at ATL 25
(10:29 - 3rd) (Shotgun) B.Robinson right tackle to ATL 38 for 13 yards (Q.Walker).

1st & 10 at ATL 38
(9:44 - 3rd) B.Robinson right end to ATL 43 for 5 yards (D.Campbell, Q.Walker).

1st & 10 at GB 32
(4:17 - 4th) B.Robinson right tackle to GB 27 for 5 yards (Q.Walker, K.Clark).

3rd & 6 at GB 12
(1:47 - 4th) B.Robinson left end to GB 7 for 5 yards (Q.Walker; P.Smith).

This screams Blake Martinez. Anyone can lead the league in tackles when the angle they take is 10 yards downfield. I think this is more on Barry than Quay though.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
skones
RealGM

Post#78 » by skones » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:18 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
I disagree.

1st & 10 at ATL 20
(13:54 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Ridder pass short right to D.London to ATL 29 for 9 yards (K.Clark; Q.Walker).

2nd & 1 at ATL 29
(13:20 - 1st) (Shotgun) B.Robinson left end to ATL 36 for 7 yards (D.Campbell; Q.Walker).

2nd & 10 at GB 41
(7:56 - 1st) D.Ridder pass short right to J.Smith pushed ob at GB 34 for 7 yards (Q.Walker).

2nd & 1 at GB 20
(5:57 - 1st) (Shotgun) D.Ridder pass short right to B.Robinson pushed ob at GB 11 for 9 yards (Q.Walker).

1st & 10 at ATL 34
(11:25 - 2nd) B.Robinson right tackle to GB 47 for 19 yards (R.Douglas, Q.Walker).

2nd & 5 at ATL 30

1st & 10 at GB 48
(1:53 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) D.Ridder pass short right to M.Hollins to GB 40 for 8 yards (Q.Walker).

1st & 10 at ATL 25
(10:29 - 3rd) (Shotgun) B.Robinson right tackle to ATL 38 for 13 yards (Q.Walker).

1st & 10 at ATL 38

1st & 10 at GB 32

3rd & 6 at GB 12

This screams Blake Martinez. Anyone can lead the league in tackles when the angle they take is 10 yards downfield. I think this is more on Barry than Quay though.

This isn't how football works. That's it. That's the post.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by MVP2110 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:22 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
skones wrote:

I disagree.

1st & 10 at ATL 20

2nd & 1 at ATL 29

2nd & 10 at GB 41

2nd & 1 at GB 20

1st & 10 at ATL 34

2nd & 5 at ATL 30

1st & 10 at GB 48

1st & 10 at ATL 25

1st & 10 at ATL 38

1st & 10 at GB 32
3rd & 6 at GB 12

Quay also had 4 pressures, 4 stops, and a pass breakup. He also had 0 missed tackles. It's not just about the number of tackles he had even though that itself was impressive given it set a Packers record. But it's his overall play, as an ILB he's going to have several downfield tackles, that's the nature of the position, but he also is impacting the game in several other areas.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#80 » by stillgotgame » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:25 pm

skones wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
I disagree.

1st & 10 at ATL 20

2nd & 1 at ATL 29

2nd & 10 at GB 41

2nd & 1 at GB 20

1st & 10 at ATL 34

2nd & 5 at ATL 30

1st & 10 at GB 48

1st & 10 at ATL 25

1st & 10 at ATL 38

1st & 10 at GB 32

3rd & 6 at GB 12

This isn't how football works. That's it. That's the post.

Did you watch the game? I guess you're so used to us tackling 10 yards downfield after getting gaped at the line of scrimmage you think this is good. I'll just say I disagree.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Green Bay Packers