ImageImage

Jordan Love Thread - All Aboard the Love Train

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Re: Jordan Love Thread - All Aboard the Love Train 

Post#81 » by M-C-G » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:27 pm

I think we will know pretty quickly if 'it' is there with him. If 3 out of 4 games we are looking like we did against the Chiefs and don't have any answers, going to be pretty hard to build around Love/MLF combo. But if we are seeing 3 out of 4 games where he is playing like he did against the Eagles, we are going to be a playoff team.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,607

Post#82 » by Frank Nova » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:20 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Frank Nova wrote:
Carioca wrote:
There is no way they're going to fire MLF and Gutey after one year of transition--my guess, as someone said previously, is that they'll both get at least three years. The Packers have never been a hair-trigger organization since Ron Wolf got here, Ray Rhodes being the lone exception.

Pack starts hiring/firing coaches on a two-year cycle, it's going to get bleak until we find another Wolf/Thompson.

A 2yr cycle is fine if there’s any semblance of progression. We are talking about the Packers being the worst team in the league next year and drafting Caleb Williams to replace
Jordan Love already. If that were to happen, that will be unacceptable on every metric level of competence imaginable. Gutenkist will have wasted the entire 2020 draft, ruined our cap by handing Rodgers a poison pill contract for the past 2 seasons and then tanked his way to completely hitting another reset button? And he should be allowed to earn a paycheck for that? Nah, that’s BS, that is his 3yr window.. You kick him in the pants on his way out the door and tell him thanks for nothing moron. Idk what you do for a living but I know if I was that bad at my job, my boss would have no problem doing that to me for the better of the business.

I realize this is hypothetical and I wouldn’t even be mad at the opportunity to draft Caleb Williams, he looks like a real franchise QB. However, this FO would not under any circumstance deserve the opportunity to see that unfold..
Totally agree. It's very likely a 2 yr window unless it's just horrific next year.

The real tricky scenario is Love looks decent early then gets hurt and the season goes to hell. That would lead to some really hard decisions with not a lot of information to make said decision.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

By all accounts, injuries should not cost anyone a position. I can agree with that. If Love goes down (knock on wood) and the season goes from promising to hell in a hand basket, I would consider that a successful enough 1st year to lengthen the leash at least 1 more full season before harsh judgement was made. If Love just flat out stinks, there should be no coming back from that for Gutenkist. Just my opinion but I’m not in favor of how the Rodgers situation was handled at all so I’m not going to be as lenient as some with my opinion.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,305

Post#83 » by Finn » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:42 pm

M-C-G wrote:I think we will know pretty quickly if 'it' is there with him. If 3 out of 4 games we are looking like we did against the Chiefs and don't have any answers, going to be pretty hard to build around Love/MLF combo. But if we are seeing 3 out of 4 games where he is playing like he did against the Eagles, we are going to be a playoff team.

I would hope that any player gets more of an opportunity than that.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,131

Post#84 » by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:48 pm

I think it's going to come down to consistency with Love. I think he's passed the point of looking how he did in the chiefs game. His footwork was atrocious in that game and kept throwing off his back foot or not planting on his throws enough. Fast forward to this past season and he looked night/day different footwork-wise. If he can keep that consistent, I think he'll be good to go.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Carioca
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#85 » by Carioca » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:55 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I think it's going to come down to consistency with Love. I think he's passed the point of looking how he did in the chiefs game. His footwork was atrocious in that game and kept throwing off his back foot or not planting on his throws enough. Fast forward to this past season and he looked night/day different footwork-wise. If he can keep that consistent, I think he'll be good to go.

No to mention MLF really screwed the pooch on the game plan--no adjustments to Spagnuolo's blitz package at all. You knew they were going to send pressure at a first-time starting QB, but MLF didn't have a plan. Next to watching MLF this year ask Aaron on the sidelines if he wanted to punt during that Lion's game, that was mind boggling to see.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#86 » by LittleRooster » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:07 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I think it's going to come down to consistency with Love. I think he's passed the point of looking how he did in the chiefs game. His footwork was atrocious in that game and kept throwing off his back foot or not planting on his throws enough. Fast forward to this past season and he looked night/day different footwork-wise. If he can keep that consistent, I think he'll be good to go.

Clements has been great for Love like he was for Rodgers early in his career

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carioca
Ballboy

Post#87 » by Carioca » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 pm

LittleRooster wrote:

Clements has been great for Love like he was for Rodgers early in his career

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding Clements to the staff last year may end being as big of a plus as adding Bisaccia. I was so pleased to see he was remaining on staff and not retiring or headed for NY, I also think his presence has played an important role in the jump from JLove last season.
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,027

Post#88 » by TheProdigy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:30 pm

M-C-G wrote:I think we will know pretty quickly if 'it' is there with him. If 3 out of 4 games we are looking like we did against the Chiefs and don't have any answers, going to be pretty hard to build around Love/MLF combo. But if we are seeing 3 out of 4 games where he is playing like he did against the Eagles, we are going to be a playoff team.

There is a vast middle ground between how Love looked against the Chiefs vs. how he looked against the Eagles. I think it's pretty likely that his performance falls somewhere in the middle instead of the extremes.

I predict in year 1: 30 TDs, 16 Ints, 4,000 yards, 65% completion %, 7.8 yards per attempt
Carioca
Ballboy

Post#89 » by Carioca » Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:35 pm

TheProdigy wrote:

There is a vast middle ground between how Love looked against the Chiefs vs. how he looked against the Eagles. I think it's pretty likely that his performance falls somewhere in the middle instead of the extremes.

I predict in year 1: 30 TDs, 16 Ints, 4,000 yards, 65% completion %, 7.8 yards per attempt

That's true, I think it's hard as a fan carrying the G to not get overly optimistic about the Eagles performance recency bias and all. But it showed an unexpectedly positive growth curve that I think has us all pretty excited about the future.

Your stats outlook may be a bit optimistic, but I like where you're coming from! :D
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Post#90 » by M-C-G » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:10 pm

Finn wrote:

I would hope that any player gets more of an opportunity than that.

I wasn’t clear, more like for every ‘quarter’ of the season I want to see him have more good than bad.

If by the end of the season only 1/4th of his games are good, I’m going to be concerned and probably arrive at the conclusion a Love/MLF combo might not work.

On the contrary if it is working more often than not, we might have something really good on our hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheProdigy
Starter
And1: 1,027

Post#91 » by TheProdigy » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:39 pm

Carioca wrote:
TheProdigy wrote:

That's true, I think it's hard as a fan carrying the G to not get overly optimistic about the Eagles performance recency bias and all. But it showed an unexpectedly positive growth curve that I think has us all pretty excited about the future.

Your stats outlook may be a bit optimistic, but I like where you're coming from! :D

Maybe it is optimistic but 16 interceptions is alot in today's NFL. I expect him to be less accurate than Rodgers and struggle a bit more with recognizing defenses. On the other hand, I think he will benefit by embracing LaFleur's offensive scheme much more than Rodgers did.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,234

Post#92 » by PintSizedBox10 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:50 pm

The NFCN boasted three bottom five defenses this past season. So Love will have no trouble putting up some pretty stats. Hell, a division title isn't out of the question imo.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#93 » by MoMM » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:58 pm

I hope he plays well, but we go 3-14, so we can have higher picks in 2024 lol
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,305

Post#94 » by humanrefutation » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:06 pm

I knew after Rodgers's first start that he was going to be really good.

Love's first start has come and gone, obviously, and that was under different circumstances.

But I think we'll get a good sense really quickly as to whether he's going to be good. That doesn't mean he has to win games for us. Rather, he just needs to show that he can make the right reads, make great throws, and handle pressure well. Show everyone what made the Packers decide to move on.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#95 » by Treebeard » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:25 pm

Does Love start games in this pre-season? The experience vs injury risk debate
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,131

Post#96 » by Matches Malone » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:28 pm

MoMM wrote:I hope he plays well, but we go 3-14, so we can have higher picks in 2024 lol

If we go 3-14 then we get Caleb Williams. Win-Win 8-)
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,954

Post#97 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:43 pm

Treebeard wrote:Does Love start games in this pre-season? The experience vs injury risk debate
Love will 100% play preseason.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,134

Post#98 » by MVP2110 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:43 pm

Treebeard wrote:Does Love start games in this pre-season? The experience vs injury risk debate

I'd guess he'll start 1 or 2 in the preseason but won't play nearly as long as previously
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,977

Post#99 » by stillgotgame » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:06 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:The NFCN boasted three bottom five defenses this past season. So Love will have no trouble putting up some pretty stats. Hell, a division title isn't out of the question imo.

Vegas has us last.

https://lombardiave.com/2023/03/16/packers-worst-odds-nfc-north-2023/
Read on Twitter
?s=20
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#100 » by LUKE23 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:20 am

I really don’t care about our record next year as this will be a couple year rebuild through the draft after our cap casualties and just trying to get younger in general. Love needs to look like the future. Rodgers looked like the future but we were 6-10 his first year. I’m fine with that happening again.

Return to Green Bay Packers