Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,098

Re: ATL - 2023 Offseason: Bob to da Bears 

Post#1921 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Apr 3, 2023 12:17 pm

Thursday night flex was defeated (barely). From King:

The Giants, Jets, Chicago and Green Bay opposed the flex. For Green Bay, a ton of fans both follow them on the road and make bucket-list pilgrimages to Lambeau Field for games, and the Packers felt it unfair to have potentially thousands of fans be stuck with travel issues should a game be moved from Sunday to Thursday, or vice versa. Carolina and Denver abstained. With 24 votes needed for passage, the vote was 22 to 8 with the two abstentions. The NFL will arm-twist, most likely, prior to the next league session in late May, and unless the anti forces can muster some momentum, it’s likely the measure will pass then.

Post-meeting, Mara said: “At some point, can we please give some consideration to the people who are coming to our games? People make plans to go to these games weeks and months in advance. And 15 days ahead of time to say, ‘Sorry, folks, that game you were planning on taking your kids to Sunday at 1, now it’s on Thursday night’? What are we thinking about?”

The NFL clearly is thinking of Amazon as a long-term partner, and streaming as a long-term way of getting more money in future media deals. What’s interesting here is that ESPN had the Monday night games for years before the league acceded—this year, finally—to give ESPN a minimal number of possible flex games. Amazon’s been a partner for one year, and the league bends over backwards for the streaming service after some weak late-season ratings on Thursday games.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#1922 » by LittleRooster » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:09 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Thursday night flex was defeated (barely). From King:

The Giants, Jets, Chicago and Green Bay opposed the flex. For Green Bay, a ton of fans both follow them on the road and make bucket-list pilgrimages to Lambeau Field for games, and the Packers felt it unfair to have potentially thousands of fans be stuck with travel issues should a game be moved from Sunday to Thursday, or vice versa. Carolina and Denver abstained. With 24 votes needed for passage, the vote was 22 to 8 with the two abstentions. The NFL will arm-twist, most likely, prior to the next league session in late May, and unless the anti forces can muster some momentum, it’s likely the measure will pass then.

Post-meeting, Mara said: “At some point, can we please give some consideration to the people who are coming to our games? People make plans to go to these games weeks and months in advance. And 15 days ahead of time to say, ‘Sorry, folks, that game you were planning on taking your kids to Sunday at 1, now it’s on Thursday night’? What are we thinking about?”

The NFL clearly is thinking of Amazon as a long-term partner, and streaming as a long-term way of getting more money in future media deals. What’s interesting here is that ESPN had the Monday night games for years before the league acceded—this year, finally—to give ESPN a minimal number of possible flex games. Amazon’s been a partner for one year, and the league bends over backwards for the streaming service after some weak late-season ratings on Thursday games.

Agree with Mara’s comments there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#1923 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:33 pm

Flexing Thursday games is a really really dumb idea.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,751

Post#1924 » by Treebeard » Mon Apr 3, 2023 3:57 pm

I know the NFL is money, money, money focused, but the Thursday flex idea is a case of the tail wagging the dog. Give it a rest permanently Goodell and owners.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,101

Post#1925 » by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 3, 2023 4:37 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#1926 » by IrishRainbow » Mon Apr 3, 2023 5:12 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dude… what? Is that real? If so, that’s some THE dumbest shhh ever.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#1927 » by Profound23 » Tue Apr 4, 2023 1:57 am

Looks like AZ is going to cut Hopkins.

I know our cap space sucks but that would be amazing if we could snag him. I wonder if he goes to Chicago?
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,344

Post#1928 » by Mags FTW » Thu Apr 6, 2023 10:55 pm

Heard this interesting tidbit that pertains to Lamar on a recent podcast:

Per current league rules, all future fully guaranteed money due in a player contract must be placed in escrow at the time the deal is consummated. It's antiquated and has long been a bone of contention for the NFLPA. It was implemented long before the NFL became the 365-days-a-year revenue and content monster it is now, and it was put in place on the surface to prevent a team from defaulting on a contract to a player. Yeah, quaint, ain't it? Those days are long gone, but for decades many owners have hidden behind it as an excuse as to why they wouldn't guarantee more than a year or two. I can't go around putting $50M, $60M, $100M, in escrow every time someone wants a fully guaranteed deal. Only, well, Haslam just put about $185M in escrow to make good on what he still owes Watson beyond 2022 (and he did so by also only putting $1M in the QB's base salary to limit any financial damage to him by an upcoming suspension).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-deshaun-watsons-game-changing-deal-and-its-ramifications-hottest-topic-at-owners-meetings/

Another reason owners might not want to go fully guaranteed, especially the ones that aren't uber-rich.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,203

Post#1929 » by RRyder823 » Fri Apr 7, 2023 12:05 am

Mags FTW wrote:Heard this interesting tidbit that pertains to Lamar on a recent podcast:

Per current league rules, all future fully guaranteed money due in a player contract must be placed in escrow at the time the deal is consummated. It's antiquated and has long been a bone of contention for the NFLPA. It was implemented long before the NFL became the 365-days-a-year revenue and content monster it is now, and it was put in place on the surface to prevent a team from defaulting on a contract to a player. Yeah, quaint, ain't it? Those days are long gone, but for decades many owners have hidden behind it as an excuse as to why they wouldn't guarantee more than a year or two. I can't go around putting $50M, $60M, $100M, in escrow every time someone wants a fully guaranteed deal. Only, well, Haslam just put about $185M in escrow to make good on what he still owes Watson beyond 2022 (and he did so by also only putting $1M in the QB's base salary to limit any financial damage to him by an upcoming suspension).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-deshaun-watsons-game-changing-deal-and-its-ramifications-hottest-topic-at-owners-meetings/

Another reason owners might not want to go fully guaranteed, especially the ones that aren't uber-rich.
I thought it was widely known that they had to set up escrow accounts for guarenteed money

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,344

Post#1930 » by Mags FTW » Fri Apr 7, 2023 12:31 am

RRyder823 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:Heard this interesting tidbit that pertains to Lamar on a recent podcast:

I thought it was widely known that they had to set up escrow accounts for guarenteed money

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app

I bet a decent chunk of NFL fans don't know what escrow is. I couldn't tell you exactly what it was until I bought my house.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,293

Re: ATL - 2023 Offseason: ODB to the Ravens 

Post#1931 » by humanrefutation » Sun Apr 9, 2023 10:21 pm

Read on Twitter
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1932 » by humanrefutation » Sun Apr 9, 2023 10:31 pm

Read on Twitter

I'd be surprised if anyone offered him anything close. Signing with a Ravens team that currently doesn't have a QB seems to be all about the money.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,098

Post#1933 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Apr 9, 2023 10:55 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,602

Post#1934 » by Frank Nova » Sun Apr 9, 2023 11:36 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

This is wild. Teams acting like Odell is still an asset is hilarious. Not that you’re better off just lighting money on fire but the Ravens just theoretically lit a boat load of money on fire.

Meanwhile, you can tell this was 100% money motivated for Odell who went to a terrible passing offense. Baltimore would’ve been smarter to give Lazard this contract who would’ve been 10x a better fit and 100x more willing to block for a run happy offense.

Makes zero sense. In the midst of a huge QB controversy no less…. Wow.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#1935 » by MoMM » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:06 am

You pay 18M to a broken player and at same time is not willing to pay for your young QB...
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#1936 » by IrishRainbow » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:39 pm

I’m sure that’ll convince Lamar to loosen his negotiating straps. I would be livid if the Packers did this. The only bonus (maybe not bonus, but less vomit inducing) is that it’s a prove it type deal. One year, and you get OBJ motivated for another contract. No doubt this was a cash grab, but if money is a motivator, this would be a motivated OBJ. What’s the end game for BAL though? Is this a ‘push them over the top’ move? Is that where they legitimately are? Make absolute no bones, I don’t get this move, but there has to be an avenue that can be argued right?

Now that I’m thinking of that extra gear guys seem to get in contract years I do wonder, if you could bottle that type of umbrella attribute modifier juice up, and consume it in a super hero universe, is if ARod Spite Juice > OBJ Contract Year Juice.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,751

Post#1937 » by Treebeard » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:44 pm

IF Balitimore does manage to trade Lamar, who's their Plan B at QB? Draft another QB, acquire Stafford, or retread Wentz/etal to placehold til their newbie QB is ready to run the show? I don't get the OBJ move at all.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,263

Post#1938 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:19 pm

I'm not seeing this as the negative you guys do. Baltimore has been firm in stating that Lamar is going to be back. This gets him a weapon (assuming he's healthy) on a one year prove-it deal. It's late in FA; who else are they going to get?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: ATL - 2023 Offseason: Okudah to the Falcons 

Post#1939 » by humanrefutation » Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,496