ImageImage

Packers News, Transactions, Trades

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Re: Packers News, Transactions, Trades 

Post#81 » by Profound23 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:22 pm

JEIS wrote:Micah Parsons podcast The Edge had Jordan Love on..Dude Legit was steady trying to get dirt on how to beat the Packers.. and Love was taking the bait. Was pretty wild Love was answering his questions.

He does it all the time. Had CJ Stroud telling him what plays he likes the most, then broke down the play saying how he would cover it to see how CJ would audible. The whole time CJ is telling him everything.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,295

Post#82 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm

Still hoping they look at Simmons. Would really give them stability and the ability to maximize Bullard in the box/slot more often.
Do it for Chuck
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,295

Post#83 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:15 pm

Such a weird thing I've seen multiple times now. Other than measurables Dillon has next to none of the skillset required
Do it for Chuck
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,252

Post#84 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:31 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:

Such a weird thing I've seen multiple times now. Other than measurables Dillon has next to none of the skillset required

What skill is he missing?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,088

Post#85 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:04 pm

I think he's got decently soft hands for a big RB, but does AJ really have the receiving and run-blocking chops to be a true H-back type dude? I'd definitely be skeptical.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:10 pm

I think his 81% REC% and 10.1 YPR last year give him a good foundation. If he's going to make the team (I'm not convinced it's gonna happen) I think an H-Back is probably his best bet.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#87 » by LUKE23 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:13 pm

I think his crazy low salary and just overall history with the team makes him a near roster lock, IMO.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,067

Post#88 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:03 pm

Read on Twitter

(They talk about it early in the episode, so you don't have to listen to it all or skip through it.)
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,974

Post#89 » by stillgotgame » Wed May 1, 2024 12:22 am

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,288

Post#90 » by humanrefutation » Wed May 1, 2024 1:07 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

(They talk about it early in the episode, so you don't have to listen to it all or skip through it.)

We see this over and over again with former Packers - the grass isn't greener elsewhere.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#91 » by skones » Wed May 1, 2024 1:20 am

humanrefutation wrote:
We see this over and over again with former Packers - the money is greener elsewhere.

FIFY, and given the nature of this game, I can't blame any of them one bit.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,288

Post#92 » by humanrefutation » Wed May 1, 2024 1:32 am

skones wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
We see this over and over again with former Packers - the money is greener elsewhere.

I'll never begrudge a player who wants to get paid elsewhere, but in this case, the money wasn't greener in Las Vegas. The Packers offered Davante a massive extension that matched (or even slightly exceeded, IIRC?) what he got in LV. He just wanted out of Green Bay.
skones
RealGM

Post#93 » by skones » Wed May 1, 2024 1:40 am

humanrefutation wrote:
skones wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:

I'll never begrudge a player who wants to get paid elsewhere, but in this case, the money wasn't greener in Las Vegas. The Packers offered Davante a massive extension that matched (or even slightly exceeded, IIRC?) what he got in LV. He just wanted out of Green Bay.

It's easy to look back in hindsight and say, hey, things look good. He was in a situation where Green Bay didn't give him the extension when he said he would sign and made him play a season with no security (while he's garnering AP1 nods), and then the Aaron Rodgers situation became increasingly volatile. If we just give him the extension when he wanted it, he'd still be here, but much like the Packers had done for years with Rodgers, they continually pushed their boomer approach to an organization, and then it finally bit them in the ass.

Make no mistake, we lucked out for now, but if the approach doesn't change, we're in for more of the same with what we have now, and it's going to happen a lot sooner as the NIL world continues to funnel into the league.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 1, 2024 1:55 am

The lesson with Adams is you don't pay WRs. Not even the best.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#95 » by Matches Malone » Wed May 1, 2024 4:25 pm

Packers rookie minicamp is being held this weekend.
Wizardofwisc
Sophomore
And1: 46

Post#96 » by Wizardofwisc » Wed May 1, 2024 6:42 pm

skones wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
skones wrote:

It's easy to look back in hindsight and say, hey, things look good. He was in a situation where Green Bay didn't give him the extension when he said he would sign and made him play a season with no security (while he's garnering AP1 nods), and then the Aaron Rodgers situation became increasingly volatile. If we just give him the extension when he wanted it, he'd still be here, but much like the Packers had done for years with Rodgers, they continually pushed their boomer approach to an organization, and then it finally bit them in the ass.

Make no mistake, we lucked out for now, but if the approach doesn't change, we're in for more of the same with what we have now, and it's going to happen a lot sooner as the NIL world continues to funnel into the league.

While you might not be incorrect in your take, I also think both Rodgers and Adams might also have a bit of anger misdirected toward the organization. While I have no idea what truly went on behind the scenes. I also have always got the feeling they were frustrated the team did not win the owl. When you get as close as we have come and still cannot break through, there is bound to be some frustration. I believe some of this frustration might have been misdirected toward the organization.
skones
RealGM

Post#97 » by skones » Wed May 1, 2024 6:56 pm

Wizardofwisc wrote:
While you might not be incorrect in your take, I also think both Rodgers and Adams might also have a bit of anger misdirected toward the organization. While I have no idea what truly went on behind the scenes. I also have always got the feeling they were frustrated the team did not win the owl. When you get as close as we have come and still cannot break through, there is bound to be some frustration. I believe some of this frustration might have been misdirected toward the organization.

Is it misdirection if the franchise never quite involved him for input within the organization (Rodgers specifically)? Is it misdirected if years and years went by without the team utilizing a MAJOR component of offseason roster building in free agency? I think these are the primary reasons for frustration, and if you look at that as a player and you're not winning Super Bowls, you're asking yourself, "Why aren't we doing all we can to win this thing?"

So sure, there was frustration that we didn't win the whole damn thing again. Is a lot of the underlying stuff on the org? I think it was. Rodgers himself certainly deserves some culpability for his performances in the playoffs, so it's not ALL on the org either.

It's also not unique to Rodgers as Brady felt the same in New England toward Bill who kept publicly riding him in front of the team. Player treatment matters, ESPECIALLY when you're the guy under center making the whole thing go. We often talk about, "What Giannis wants, he gets" on the Bucks board, but folks like to take an entirely different approach towards football. That is crazy to me in such a pass heavy league, because your all pro QB gets you 8-9 wins by himself on a lot of occasions.

Correct these issues with Love or we'll see the same thing happen.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,120

Post#98 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:31 pm

skones wrote:
Wizardofwisc wrote:

Is it misdirection if the franchise never quite involved him for input within the organization (Rodgers specifically)? Is it misdirected if years and years went by without the team utilizing a MAJOR component of offseason roster building in free agency? I think these are the primary reasons for frustration, and if you look at that as a player and you're not winning Super Bowls, you're asking yourself, "Why aren't we doing all we can to win this thing?"

So sure, there was frustration that we didn't win the whole damn thing again. Is a lot of the underlying stuff on the org? I think it was. Rodgers himself certainly deserves some culpability for his performances in the playoffs, so it's not ALL on the org either.

It's also not unique to Rodgers as Brady felt the same in New England toward Bill who kept publicly riding him in front of the team. Player treatment matters, ESPECIALLY when you're the guy under center making the whole thing go. We often talk about, "What Giannis wants, he gets" on the Bucks board, but folks like to take an entirely different approach towards football. That is crazy to me in such a pass heavy league, because your all pro QB gets you 8-9 wins by himself on a lot of occasions.

Correct these issues with Love or we'll see the same thing happen.

I don't really believe the bolded part is true under Gute. Under TT sure but Gute massively changed how the Packers FO approach Free Agency. They signed guys like Jimmy Graham, Mo Wilkerson, The Smith Bros, Adrian Amos, Billy Turner, Rick Wagner, etc. Gute regularly added in free agency until he ran out of cap space to spend. And oddly enough some of that aggressiveness is what led to the Packers moving on from older veterans on their roster like Jordy & Cobb.

Also, giving players too much control is almost always a bad idea, as we found out when Rodgers brought all his buddies home and as we are finding out now with the Bucks. Players are almost always bad GMs.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#99 » by Matches Malone » Wed May 1, 2024 8:34 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#100 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:48 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Also, giving players too much control is almost always a bad idea, as we found out when Rodgers brought all his buddies home and as we are finding out now with the Bucks. Players are almost always bad GMs.

Seeing the Jets screw up their franchise by catering to Rodgers has low-key been one of the most hilarious storylines in sports this decade after all the drama in GB. Like, how much more obvious can the lesson possibly be for people who still blame the Packers for the way things ended? The Packers are an extremely well-run organization. Rodgers and Adams both wanted them to make decisions that were bad for the franchise overall but good for their own agendas, and not a day goes by that I'm not thankful that the Packers held their ground. Rodgers literally said it's not so much about winning if you can't win with your friends on the team, and we're still trying to explain to people why the Packers were justified in not letting him influence moves? Lmfao.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.

Return to Green Bay Packers