ImageImage

NFL DRAFT THREAD - 4/27/24 - 11:00 - Rounds 4-7

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,337

Re: NFL DRAFT THREAD - 4/27/24 - 11:00 - Rounds 4-7 

Post#561 » by Mags FTW » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:10 am

Been thinking about that part in the movie "Air" when the Nike exec knew Jordan was going to be a star because he realized Dean Smith drew up the final play for him in the title game.

I'd say the opposite of that is Michigan, with McCarthy at QB, running 32 times in a row against PSU.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,196

Post#562 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:34 am

Read on Twitter

This is so good.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,196

Post#563 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:04 am

Kiper not a fan of round three and on.

Green Bay Packers: B
Top needs entering the draft: Offensive tackle, defensive back, off-ball linebacker

If only every prediction in my mock drafts was as easy as Green Bay's this year. For months I've said the Packers needed to plug their void at left tackle in Round 1 as a result of this deep and talented OT class. Longtime starter David Bakhtiari is gone, and I thought they should identify the guy they liked most and take him. Turns out, that's exactly what GM Brian Gutekunst did.

Jordan Morgan (25) was a stalwart on the blindside for Arizona who rarely missed an assignment. He blew up edge defenders in the run game and made them look silly in pass sets. He'll be a plug-and-play starter. On Day 2, I loved the additions of linebacker Edgerrin Cooper (45) and safety Javon Bullard (58), both of whom I ranked No. 1 at their positions. Cooper can a three-down defender because of his coverage tools, while Bullard is a do-it-all defensive back who will assist a unit that intercepted just seven passes last season, which ranked 31st in the league.

MarShawn Lloyd (88) can be a solid backup running back to Josh Jacobs. Linebacker Ty'Ron Hopper (91) isn't the same kind of player in coverage as Cooper, but he'll thump backs in the hole. He was overdrafted but Green Bay is making the switch to a 4-3 defense and needs more bodies, so I understand it. I was surprised quarterback Michael Pratt (245) lasted until Round 7, but he won't have much of a chance to play in Green Bay.

I was all-in on the Packers after their first three picks, but the rest of this haul leaves me underwhelmed, especially on Day 3. Cooper and Bullard save it from a C+.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,637

Post#564 » by LikeABosh » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:37 am

How are you gonna say you love days 1 and 2 but give the draft a B? Those picks are like 10 times the value of the rest

We could nab MHJ and Joe Alt, but if we draft a bum in the 5th round Mel's gonna dock us a letter grade lmao
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,510

Post#565 » by HKPackFan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:32 pm

LikeABosh wrote:How are you gonna say you love days 1 and 2 but give the draft a B? Those picks are like 10 times the value of the rest

We could nab MHJ and Joe Alt, but if we draft a bum in the 5th round Mel's gonna dock us a letter grade lmao

Garbage logic on his part and the rest of the draft is an absolute crap shoot. No one has a clue who's going to be a good player. If a player is a guaranteed good player he's not going to be drafted in the middle of the draft.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,106

Post#566 » by MVP2110 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:09 pm

So now that the draft is done I was trying to put together a rough 53 man roster and man the OL group is going to be a fun camp battle to watch.

You have last years starting 5 of: Walker Jenkins Myers Rhyan Tom
New draft picks: Morgan(1), Monk(5), Glover(6)
Holdover developmental prospects: Caleb Jones, Tenuta, Belfort

Plus they have Royce Newman, signed Andre Dillard to compete, and gave Donovan Jennings 100k guarenteed to sign as a UDFA

My best guess is it ends up something along the lines of

Morgan Jenkins Myers Rhyan Tom

With Walker, Monk, Glover, Jennings, & one of Dillard/Jones/Tenuta
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#567 » by LUKE23 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:10 pm

I tend to agree with Kipers overall take but if they hit on their first four picks, and I think they will, then it still ends up being a great draft.

I feel like Hopper and Williams were reaches and really wanted one of Bartoloni or McCormick in the 4th. But as always, we will see.

I think Pratt and King were both great value picks.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,288

Post#568 » by Finn » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:02 pm

trwi7 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:I also rank hundreds of guys I've never seen play.

Good for you? Not sure what you have against those of us who actually care about the draft

Unless you're getting paid to do it, it's completely pointless lmao.

Says the guy with almost 111,000 posts on a message board. Pretty sure neither Mickey or Paul pay you anything.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,637

Post#569 » by LikeABosh » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Finn wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:Good for you? Not sure what you have against those of us who actually care about the draft

Says the guy with almost 111,000 posts on a message board. Pretty sure neither Mickey or Paul pay you anything.

That's 111,000 posts of some terrific jokes. You can't put a price on laughter
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,427

Post#570 » by trwi7 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:42 pm

Finn wrote:Pretty sure neither Mickey or Paul pay you anything.

Mickey, pp, can I break the NDA now?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,897

Post#571 » by coolhandluke121 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:25 pm

HKPackFan wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:How are you gonna say you love days 1 and 2 but give the draft a B? Those picks are like 10 times the value of the rest

Garbage logic on his part and the rest of the draft is an absolute crap shoot. No one has a clue who's going to be a good player. If a player is a guaranteed good player he's not going to be drafted in the middle of the draft.

Eh, I have no complaints. First the usual disclaimer, it's always a crapshoot, so any attempt to grade a draft is just for the sake of conversation. Anyway, he didn't really say he loved days 1 and 2, just that he loved round 2 specifically, as nearly all of us did.

Round 1 is pretty neutral - they went above consensus to draft an OT with short arms when Guyton was still available, but they did draft an effective player who fills a key need at a premium position that they're good at scouting and developing, so it's all in how you frame it. It also seems likely that they could have traded up for Arnold or Q. Mitchell, and considering how well Walker and Tom played last year, that seems like it would have filled a bigger need. I give round 1 a C, which is basically average.

Round 2 is an A. You could almost argue A+, but I save that for bigger coups like Dejean falling to #40. Regardless of both Cooper and Bullard falling and being ideal for team needs, they're still non-premium positions, so A is high enough.

Round 3 is a D+ IMO. I'm talking myself into Lloyd, but Hooper can't even tackle so I'm not sure why everyone thinks he's even going to be some special teams stud, let alone a LB worthy of semi-regular snaps. I hope there's something about the defensive system that I'm not understanding that justifies the pick. Is he going to be some sort of borderline dime DB who's a nominal LB in a 3-3-5 set?

Evan Williams seems like a reach, but round 7 was arguably an A+. In any case, you can't put the same weight on later rounds, and I think the overall average of rounds 1 - 4 is likely a B. Round 2 is really the only thing skewing the average up, unless you want to put a little weight on round 7 just because it is pretty exciting to get such big name talents so late.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,045

Post#572 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:52 pm

Finn wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:Good for you? Not sure what you have against those of us who actually care about the draft

Twirl pays US to let him stick around.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,585

Post#573 » by Bernman » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:07 pm

1. Morgan - dislike, too many caution flags - blown knee, short arms, not overly strong - for a 1st rounder
2. Cooper - love, explosive, big hitter, versatile, pretty productive
2. Bullard - like, young, upside w/ tools, decent production
3. Hopper - dislike, older, tweener not versatile
3. Lloyd - love, dynamic runner, super productive, fumbles fixable
4. Williams - eh, has to be real high i.q. to function, nothing stands out here
5. Monk - no opinion
5. Oladapo - like, looks like he plays faster than timed, competitive, consistent, good anticipation?
6. Glover - no opinion, other than I could out-run him in a 40-yard dash
7. Pratt - like, adequate tools, polished, much better late rd qb investment than inexplicable Clifford last yr
7. King - like, you get a guy projected the 1st rd last yr, 40 time is more of a concern than off year which can be explained

Agree w/ Kiper about a B, but not so much how that came about. A few good late picks, but suspect at the very top.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,427

Post#574 » by trwi7 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Finn wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Unless you're getting paid to do it, it's completely pointless lmao.

Twirl pays US to let him stick around.

I've never paid you a dime because you're too old to figure out how to ban anyone.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,337

Post#575 » by Mags FTW » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:41 pm

:reporter: :reporter: :reporter:

Buddy of mine spoke with someone with Michigan ties who told him that Harbaugh was overselling McCarthy with the hopes that a team would take him 4, and Harrison Jr. would fall to SD at 5.

Return to Green Bay Packers