ImageImage

Round 4 - Evan Williams - DB Oregon

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,586

Re: Round 4 - Evan Williams - DB Oregon 

Post#21 » by Frank Nova » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:15 pm

This kid looks like the evolution of Leroy Butler. Kid played good football for a good football team, I’m excited for him. X, Bullard and now Williams just turned our whole safety core into a huge positive moving forward.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#22 » by M-C-G » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 am

Sounds a bit like a Mycah Hyde

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,192

Post#23 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:34 am

He doesn't sound like he's got close to the kind of coverage chops that Hyde had. Williams sounds like an undersized linebacker.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#24 » by M-C-G » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:He doesn't sound like he's got close to the kind of coverage chops that Hyde had. Williams sounds like an undersized linebacker.

I don't pretend to know who he was before we drafted him, but reading his scouting reports it read like what I remember Mycah Hyde being. Marginal athlete, but a high IQ football football player that just helps you win when they play despite everything else.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#25 » by GBPackers47 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:58 pm

M-C-G wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:He doesn't sound like he's got close to the kind of coverage chops that Hyde had. Williams sounds like an undersized linebacker.

I don't pretend to know who he was before we drafted him, but reading his scouting reports it read like what I remember Mycah Hyde being. Marginal athlete, but a high IQ football football player that just helps you win when they play despite everything else.

This is the endless cycle.

A decade from now we're going to call our new 5th round Safety a broke man's Evan Williams.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#26 » by M-C-G » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:02 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

A decade from now we're going to call our new 5th round Safety a broke man's Evan Williams.

Best part of being a life long fan, no?
GBPackers47
Starter

Post#27 » by GBPackers47 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 pm

M-C-G wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

On one hand yes, but it also goes to show how little we actually know about these guys until they step onto the field. But to your original point, I can't imagine Hyde's thread was filled with "this guy has the chops for coverage" when he was drafted.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:14 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:

On one hand yes, but it also goes to show how little we actually know about these guys until they step onto the field. But to your original point, I can't imagine Hyde's thread was filled with "this guy has the chops for coverage" when he was drafted.

Read the thread for yourself if you like.
GBPackers47
Starter

Post#29 » by GBPackers47 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Thanks for proof?
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#30 » by Treebeard » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:21 pm

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:26 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:

Thanks for proof?

The interesting thing about that thread is you had a bunch of amateurs peg him as a safety, and for four years Mike McCarthy and co. tried like hell to make him the slot cornerback. Doesn't work out. He goes to Buffalo, they immediately make him the starting free safety and he goes to the Pro Bowl.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,001

Post#32 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:36 pm

That whole era from 2012-2017 where we kept trying to convert safeties to corner, and vice versa, was super weird. Of course it's incredibly important to be a good athlete, but it's also important to have actual cover instincts/skills.
GBPackers47
Starter

Post#33 » by GBPackers47 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:00 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:

Thanks for proof?

The interesting thing about that thread is you had a bunch of amateurs peg him as a safety, and for four years Mike McCarthy and co. tried like hell to make him the slot cornerback. Doesn't work out. He goes to Buffalo, they immediately make him the starting free safety and he goes to the Pro Bowl.

I'm not debating what position people saw him as. I'm saying no one said "Micah Hyde has excellent coverage chops" when he was drafted, regardless of position.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:04 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:
Thanks for proof?

I'm not debating what position people saw him as. I'm saying no one said "Micah Hyde has excellent coverage chops" when he was drafted, regardless of position.

The scouting report I posted way back when:

Effective zone defender with the closing speed and length to knock away passes or make the interception. Height, vertical, and strong hands allow him to snatch jump balls away and knock away throws between levels of the defense.

Multiple people praising his ball skills and his hands.

I'm not sure what you're doing here or why you're singling out "coverage chops". Chops is just an expression.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#35 » by crkone » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:05 am

WEAKNESSES Teams might be split on his best NFL position. Average recovery speed at cornerback, must prove himself in man coverage as he will fail to stay with receivers downfield. Loses track of receivers in space, gets caught looking into the backfield or stops running while looking for the ball down the sideline. Looks tight in the hips, will struggle to consistently turn and run. Ducks his head at times trying to make open-field tackles and is not a physically imposing free safety.

Tight hips and average recovery speed and will fail to stay with receivers down field. Pretty spot on for Hyde. Should've immediately been a safety.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#36 » by skones » Wed May 1, 2024 1:34 am

GBPackers47 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:
Thanks for proof?

I'd say him coming out of the draft AS a CB who would shift to Safety in an ideal world says his overall coverage chops were probably far more seasoned than a guy who played safety during his entire college career.

Return to Green Bay Packers