Round 7: Kalen King CB - PSU 

Post#1 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:06 pm

Very nice.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,037

Re: Round 7: Kalen King CB - PSU 

Post#2 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:07 pm

Got a boundary corner. His junior tape was way better than last year, but at 255 can't complain.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,199

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm

STRENGTHS: Solid athleticism to maintain his stride on vertical patterns … short-area movements are loose and balanced … steady eyes to sort out route combinations and switch off receivers in zone … tracks the football well in the air, with the coordination to arrive at the catch point in a timely manner (led the Big Ten in passes defended in 2022) … quick to read run and looks fearless driving downhill … tenacious mentality to mug receiver s, get off blocks or unload at the catch point to dislodge the football … has developed the relentless self-confidence to bounce back from negative reps … described as “super competitive” and “coachable” by Penn State head coach James Franklin … experienced on kick and punt coverages (222 special -teams snaps).

WEAKNESSES: Average-framed and will have a tough time matching NFL size and strength … below-average top-end speed and lacks a secondary burst when the ball is in the air (his 1.95 “flying 20” was the worst among all cornerbacks who ran the 40-yard dash at the combine) … his jam technique is wild and unrefined … too reactive in coverage and needs to develop his route anticipation … overaggressive tendencies lead to excessive contact (calle d for pass interference or holding three times in 2023) … inconsistent sink and technique as a tackler, especially in space … ball carriers have no trouble running through his arm tackles … limited experience as a slot defender … disappointing 2023 season, as he struggled against the best opponents on his schedule (Ohio State, Maryl and, Michigan).

SUMMARY: A two-year starter, King was an outside cornerback in former Penn State defensive coordinator Manny Diaz’s split-coverage scheme. He put himself on the NFL radar with a standout 2022 season (No. 3 in the FBS with 21 passes defended) and looked like a future first-round pick. However, cornerback is a volatile position, and King’s 2023 tape exemplified that. He managed just two passes defended in his final college season (although, he saw fewer targets) and struggled against the top opponents on his schedule, most notably in a tough matchup again Ohio State’s Marvin Harrison Jr. Growing up with a twin who shared the same passion for football meant King had a lifelong competitor, which helped develop his tenacity and toughness. Though he is a springy athlete, his twitch can be negated by below-average long speed and underdeveloped route anticipation versus savvy receivers. Overall, King is a fluid athlete with the aggressive play personality desired for the position, but his inconsistent tackling, coverage spacing and feel for when to take chances will continue to result in volatility in his game. He is viewed as a possible safety candidate by several NFL teams.
GRADE: 5th-6th Round

Might have gone much higher had he come out last year.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,106

Post#4 » by MVP2110 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:09 pm

There 2 7th round picks are my 4th & 5th favorite picks
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,841

Post#5 » by TroyD92 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 pm

Seems like a guy who had a really bad year and tanked his stock. Hopefully he can rebound!
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#6 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:15 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Seems like a guy who had a really bad year and tanked his stock.

Pretty much lol

Read on Twitter
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#7 » by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 am

Sounds like Reed is a big fan.

Sauce too 8-)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Post#8 » by Frank Nova » Thu May 2, 2024 1:56 pm

So does anyone have a clue why the big drop off between 2yrs ago and last year with King? I just saw he was 2nd team all Big Ten last year and his production was way down across the board. 3 picks and 18pbu in 2022, 0 picks and 2pbu in 2023, was the 2nd team all conference just a name sake? Was he not targeted that often? I get the the slow 40 time, 4.61 is pretty slow for a CB so there’s pause there. But to fall off a cliff production is weird to me. I’m having a hard time wrapping my brain around that.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,199

Post#9 » by ReasonablySober » Thu May 2, 2024 2:31 pm

Frank Nova wrote:So does anyone have a clue why the big drop off between 2yrs ago and last year with King? I just saw he was 2nd team all Big Ten last year and his production was way down across the board. 3 picks and 18pbu in 2022, 0 picks and 2pbu in 2023, was the 2nd team all conference just a name sake? Was he not targeted that often? I get the the slow 40 time, 4.61 is pretty slow for a CB so there’s pause there. But to fall off a cliff production is weird to me. I’m having a hard time wrapping my brain around that.

He was playing opposite Joey Porter Jr in 2022. Teams were throwing his way more often.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#10 » by Profound23 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:56 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Sounds like Reed is a big fan.

Sauce too 8-)

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Maybe we can get Sauce to join him in GB in two years? :lol:
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,302

Post#11 » by RiotPunch » Sat May 4, 2024 7:25 am

Very likable kid, rooting for him hard. Hope he is a diamond in the rough.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis

Return to Green Bay Packers