ImageImage

2024 Draft Recap (Draft Grades, Media, etc.)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Grade the Packers 2024 NFL Draft

A
11%
A-
14%
B+
28%
B
31%
B-
11%
C
3%
D
3%

Total votes: 36

Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,982

2024 Draft Recap (Draft Grades, Media, etc.) 

Post#1 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:59 pm

Thought we could use a single thread for people to give their overall thoughts/grades about our draft class as a whole and post any draft grades or articles that have started to circulate in the media now.

Green Bay Packers 2024 draft class:

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Re: 2024 Draft Recap (Draft Grades, Media, etc.) 

Post#2 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:09 pm

Even though we took 11 guys I think 10 of the 11 have a pretty clear path to making the 53. Glover is the only guy I really struggle to see making it.

Overall I give the class a solid B. I'm not as enamored with it the same way I was the last 2 years. I really love what they did in R2 and I also thought both their R7 picks were fantastic value. Hopper & Glover are the only 2 picks that I just truly didn't understand. Even Lloyd who I'm personally not a big fan of has quite a few analysts and scouts who do really like him so I can understand the reasoning behind the pick.

With Morgan I'm hoping he eventually slides inside to RG as I think that's his best position and it's probably our worst spot with our returning starting 5.

They seemingly targeted a specific safety type so I'm pretty fascinated to see how Hafley uses those guys

I already said this but I'm going to reiterate how much I love the Pratt pick. I think he has low end starter/high end backup potential and to get that in the 7th round is a steal.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#3 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:21 pm

Overall I gave the class a B as well even though I really largely like what we did. If Jordan Morgan can actually stick at LT that will go a long way towards making this class look good. I'm optimistic but not certain on that front. I loved our 2nd round, I feel like round 2 is where Gute consistently shines and the clear intention to get faster and more physical on defense is extremely overdue. Lloyd seems fun but our two 3rd's and 4th I would probably have done differently. I hope Gute ends up looking smart with guys like Hopper and Williams because they went pretty far outside the box on those picks. The rest of Day 3 checked all the boxes I want out of a Day 3. Experienced guys that I see as relatively high floor for their draft positions in Oladapo and Monk, developmental tackle project in Glover, developmental QB project who could've easily gone 2-3 rounds earlier, and a flier on a corner who would've probably would've gone on Day 2 and maybe even higher if entered the draft last year.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,077

Post#4 » by Wisky4life » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:25 pm

I didn't think the draft prospects were as strong as in years past. Maybe I paid attention more then. Overall, we got a bunch of dudes that will help the team. Just need to expand on last season.

Solid B

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,058

Post#5 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:34 pm

I didn't understand the Morgan and Hopper selections, but considering how much I love the other Day 2 guys (Cooper, Bullard) I think that's good enough for a solid B if not B+ grade. Pretty much addressed all our major needs (O-line depth, Safety, Linebacker, backup RB). Only question is if it was the right call to not grab an actual corner earlier than the 7th round.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,243

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 pm

Didn't love the Morgan pick, and I really wasn't a fan of staying put at #25 when so many guys at premium positions fell. But if he ends up sticking at left tackle and allows the Packers to shuffle line a bit to get something like:

LT: Morgan
LG: Jenkins
C: Tom
RG: Myers/Rhyan/Monk
RT: Walker

out there then that'll be nice. If the pick ends up being a straight Walker replacement it'll sink the class. That's something we didn't need.

Liked Cooper and especially Bullard. But the positional value is still shaky in the second round.

Rounds three and four were absolutely baffling.

I like Lloyd, but there was no need to invest a third round pick in a running back. Hopper and Williams are deficient players at low value positions that were made redundant by the second round.

Clearly the Packers felt they were set at CB, WR, TE, and defensive line. But guys like Elijah Jones, Jarrian Jones, Jalyx Hunt, Troy Franklin, Tez Walker, Adisa Isaac, Ja'Tavion Sanders, Brandon Dorlus, and Theo Johnson all going around where GB was picking between 88 and 11 hurt to see.

Oh well, wait and see I guess.

Monk seems like a sleeper. He's got the profile the Packers like. Can't complain about Oladapo in the 5th. Glover sounds like a nice PS project.

I'm not at all convinced Pratt can beat out Clifford, but he was a nice value add at the end of the draft.

King was lousy last year and he's got a brutal athletic profile, but the pick made me laugh so I'm good with it.

Gave the class a C but who knows. Maybe it'll end up being awesome.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#7 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:08 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Clearly the Packers felt they were set at CB, WR, TE, and defensive line. But guys like Elijah Jones, Jarrian Jones, Jalyx Hunt, Troy Franklin, Tez Walker, Adisa Isaac, Ja'Tavion Sanders, Brandon Dorlus, and Theo Johnson all going around where GB was picking between 88 and 11 hurt to see.

This is exactly where they lost me too. I would have taken any two of those players or even a few others at 88 and 91 and then they could've still pulled their 4th round trade up for a Jaylen Wright or Shipley. Hell maybe Lloyd is still sitting there. Nobody else took a RB in that range.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 246

Post#8 » by zmanishere11 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm

A- for me. Really loved the combo of value and focus on our few positions of need.

Morgan should be our LT of the future - need to protect Love at all costs.

Cooper / Bullard / Lloyd were arguably the best players at their positions in this draft and were positions of need for the team. I understand those positions were generally considered to be weak, but that's still great value.

Monk may be your starting C next year.

Also love the focus on drafting multiple captains from a leadership perspective.

I think Cooper is going to be the guy we all fall in love with from this draft class very quickly.

As for everyone else - in Gute I trust
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:27 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=cTtdJcvLRtghUkB95_8Z4Q&s=19

Pretty interesting
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#10 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:00 pm

A sampling of grades for whatever they're worth:

Chad Reuter, NFL.com: B

PFF: B+

SI.com: B+

Doug Farrar: A

Dane Brugler: Rank: 21st out of 32

Mel Kiper: B

Danny Kelly, The Ringer: C

Pete Prisco, CBS: B
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:10 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:A sampling of grades for whatever they're worth:

Chad Reuter, NFL.com: B

PFF: B+

SI.com: B+

Doug Farrar: A

Dane Brugler: Rank: 21st out of 32

Mel Kiper: B

Danny Kelly, The Ringer: C

Pete Prisco, CBS: B

Saw this going around which was pretty cool. Seems the Packers are essentially in the middle of NFL teams which sounds about right to me

Read on Twitter
?t=bCby6Yd91VkvSXYQs0u2FA&s=19
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,293

Post#12 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:11 pm

I don't believe in draft grades until the class is up for new contracts.

That said, this is certainly the least exciting Gute draft class for me to date.
Do it for Chuck
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM

Post#13 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:18 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Saw this going around which was pretty cool. Seems the Packers are essentially in the middle of NFL teams which sounds about right to me

I should've known someone would figure out how to effectively aggregate everyone's draft grades. :lol:
MKE_Hodag22
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#14 » by MKE_Hodag22 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:24 pm

25. (Jordan Morgan, OT Arizona) I wanted one of the Tackles, though I think I would've leaned a bit more to Guyton. IF they view Morgan as an IOL, then I would've rather gone Barton. Either way, Tackles are really hit or miss, hoping he pans out.

45. (Edgerrin Cooper, LB Texas A&M) Fine w/ this pick. It's the guy rumored to GB the most with pick 41, so we got the guy and some draft capital to be used later. He should be a nice tandem w/ Walker.

58. (Javon Bullard, S Georgia) I was a bit higher on a few other safeties, but really cannot complain with this pick. He's a gamer that isn't afraid to hit someone.

88. (Marshawn Lloyd, RB USC) Fine w/ this pick. Was hoping Benson would've fallen here, but Lloyd being a willing receiver can certainly help.

91. (Ty'Ron Hopper, LB Missouri) As others have said, bit of a question mark here. Think I would've preferred (Jarrion Jones, CB Florida State - went 96) or (Cedric Gray, LB North Carolina - went 106 if going LB)

111. (Evan Williams, S Oregon) Would've preferred a lineman here, Bartolini out of WI, McCormick out of SD St

163. (Jacob Monk, C Duke) Didnt know much about him, watched some post-draft tape. Completely fine w/ this pick. Always good to draft experienced lineman.

169. (Kitan Oladapo, S Oregon St) Maybe woulda went QB here with Jordan Travis? otherwise, Caelen Carson since no CB to this point.

202. (Travis Glover, OT Georgia St) Maybe EDGE here, Cedric Johnson who went 214, or Christian Mahogany who went 210 would've been better value. Admit know next to nothing about Glover, just always Leary of smaller school competition.

245. (Michael Pratt, QB Tulane) Great value if we're taking QB regularly again.

255. (Kalen King, CB Penn State) Steal.

I voted B+. We drafted depth and potentially 3 starters in Morgan, Cooper and Bullard. If you can draft 3 starters, i think you start at B and see the rest...I think Lloyd could certainly be a nice change of pace back to spell Jacobs. think the 2 later safeties are ST guys, both look athletic, fast and hit-so can't be that bad of an option. Hopefully King can replicate Valentines success from last year and provided some big play to the CB position.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,771

Post#15 » by jimmybones » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:42 pm

I'm pretty obsessed with our second round. Such a great outcome where high quality talent, fit and need all meet. I think both dudes contribute this year and both have higher end upside.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,061

Post#16 » by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:19 pm

I think the draft was pretty solid. B+ if I had to give it anything.

Liked the Morgan pick probably more than consensus but can understand people not over the moon with it. Second round was awesome. Although I was down a bit on Cooper coverage wise, I think he's got the athletic ability to overcome a lot of that and grow into a very good LB. Bullard was my favorite safety in this class outside of Cole Bishop. Probably my favorite pick. Oladapo and Williams, I both liked a lot during the pre-draft process so getting both of them adds a lot of juice to the secondary. I also liked Pratt a bunch coming in and would have been fine taking him earlier even.

My only nitpicks I guess were going with Lloyd over some of the other backs in the third and I liked Cedric Gray as a LB spot over Hopper, but can't complain too much, he went in the area I figured he'd go.

Side note: Glad they were able to nab Donovan Jennings as an UDFA. Think that could be a sneaky good add if he can figure out interior at the next level.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#17 » by LUKE23 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 pm

I echo most of the sentiments of others. I'd say straight B grade.

Morgan was a solid pick, not very exciting. I would have been interested to see what it would have taken to move up for Mitchelll or Arnold though, as i feel both were great values at 22 and 24, and to me, we definitely have a need at cornerback.

Love both our second round picks, Cooper at 45 is great value and great fit, same for Bullard at 58. I think both of those two are day 1 starters.

Hopper and E. Williams to me were both reaches. I wanted us to land either Bortolini or McCormick in the 4th round.

Pratt and King were both good values. The super huge OL I don't think sticks at all.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,340

Post#18 » by Mags FTW » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:29 pm

I said B. Not very many high ceiling guys here. Gute was simply trying to fill holes on a playoff team, which is probably why he didn't want to trade away any of the Top 100 picks.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#19 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:08 pm

I'm going with a B-. The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that they didn't move up for Arnold or Q. Mitchell. I know we all blame Barry's defense, but getting roasted by Devito, Mayfield, and Bryce Young was a new low, and IMO the CBs were terrible with Alexander out. Yet we're bringing back the exact same group, plus a 7th-round pick, this year. I know that the safeties should help, but I still think that CB was a huge need. What if Alexander has another injury-plagued season? Is there any reason to count on Stokes ever bouncing back, other than blind optimism?

It doesn't help that Morgan is a bit underwhelming with his injury history and measurables. It's all speculation at this point, but he's got his work cut out for him to justify the pick. The 2nd round can only help your grade so much, and much (not all) of the rest of the draft seemed like they were just reaching for very specific needs, which concerns me. The only thing I really liked after Bullard was the 7th round.

That said, it would be interesting to look back at draft grade threads from 3-5 years ago and remind ourselves how futile this can be as an exercise.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
drdrG
Bench Warmer
And1: 832

Post#20 » by drdrG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:43 am

Enagbare avoiding surgery and Stokes returning to form, if true, changes our needs a lot. I still would have drafted corner but it was the case that none of the day 1 starter tackles were likely to be there at 41. Wanting an elite T prospect with the way the board fell and our slot at 25 made it a tough call.

I loved the 2nd and 7th rounds. I thought we could have traded back in Rd's 3-5 and still gotten the players we ended up taking. I gave it a B- because of the sacrificed value in the middle rounds and not ending up with one of the top corners when they were so close and Detroit jumped us for one.

Not to mention Chicago got two stars.

I do think there is a reasonable chance Morgan becomes an elite T. He reminds me a bit of Bakh. Susceptible at times to straight power but a technician with great feet and awesome football awareness/IQ. If that happens, bump it up a letter.

Return to Green Bay Packers