ImageImage

2024 Draft Recap (Draft Grades, Media, etc.)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Grade the Packers 2024 NFL Draft

A
11%
A-
14%
B+
28%
B
31%
B-
11%
C
3%
D
3%

Total votes: 36

stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,974

Re: 2024 Draft Recap (Draft Grades, Media, etc.) 

Post#21 » by stillgotgame » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:12 am

I like the stacking of players at the same position. Create competition at S and LB and see who rises up. Gute went after positions with numbers, determined to make them better. Worked great at WR & TE last year, we now have the deepest WR room in the league. Didn't waste any picks on positions we didn't need, smart.

Don't know much about Morgan. I'd prefer we drafted offensive lineman later but I trust Gute after his success. Cooper seems perfect, we need an LB with instincts. Oladapo and Hopper seem like they're picked specifically for the new defense. I'm happy with the late round picks - Glover made a good impression at the Senior Bowl, King is young, Pratt looks like a good bet.

A-
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,229

Post#22 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 1, 2024 1:23 pm

Matt Miller of ESPN did something I don't think I've seen before, where he ranked his 100 favorite picks.

37. Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Green Bay Packers (Pick 2-45)
My final overall ranking: No. 27

The modern NFL requires playmakers at linebacker who can run down quarterbacks, use length to take away passing lanes and stack up against the run. I saw Cooper do all of that last season at Texas A&M. He's a true three-down threat to offenses and should be playing next to Quay Walker in the starting lineup in Week 1.

48. Jordan Morgan, OT, Green Bay Packers (Pick 1-25)
My final overall ranking: No. 42

Versatility up front is a key asset the Packers value when looking at offensive linemen. Morgan has it. A college left tackle, he has the agility to play guard and the footwork to be a very good one. We could see major changes on this line if Zach Tom moves to center. If that happens, Morgan may work into the lineup at right tackle or even guard during his rookie season if the Packers intend on moving him from his college position.

67. Michael Pratt, QB, Green Bay Packers (Pick 7-245)
My final overall ranking: No. 129

The Packers seemingly struck gold with Jordan Love, but how about a young quarterback to develop behind him? Pratt could have come off the board in the fourth round and been a good selection for a team. He's accurate, poised and tough as nails. He has the makeup of a really good QB2 for a long time. That's great value in Round 7.

82. Javon Bullard, S, Green Bay Packers (Pick 2-58)
My final overall ranking: No. 74

The Packers identified a need in the secondary this offseason and aggressively attacked it, signing free agent Xavier McKinney and drafting three safeties in the top five rounds. Bullard should see immediate starting snaps opposite McKinney in the split-safety look. He's a sure tackler with awesome read-and-react skills.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 1, 2024 3:01 pm

This showed up in my FB feed. Fun to look at. Poor Ironhead Hayward, RIP.

Spoiler:
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,185

Post#24 » by raysbookclub » Wed May 1, 2024 3:34 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:This showed up in my FB feed. Fun to look at. Poor Ironhead Hayward, RIP.

Spoiler:

Sterling Sharpe was the best pick of that draft.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,758

Post#25 » by chonestown » Wed May 1, 2024 4:19 pm

raysbookclub wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:This showed up in my FB feed. Fun to look at. Poor Ironhead Hayward, RIP.

Spoiler:

Nah, probably Irvin. Longevity matters.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 1, 2024 4:24 pm

chonestown wrote:
raysbookclub wrote:

Spoiler:

Nah, probably Irvin. Longevity matters.

My first thought was Neil Smith, a total monster for a decade at DE.

But the best pick in that first round is Randall McDaniel.

7× First-team All-Pro (1990, 1992–1996, 1998)
2× Second-team All-Pro (1991, 1997)
12× Pro Bowl (1989–2000)
NFL 1990s All-Decade Team
NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team

Not terrible for a 260 lb guard.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,035

Post#27 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 1, 2024 4:34 pm

Eh, I'd take 6-7 healthy seasons of Sterling Sharpe over a lot of other Hall of Famers' entire careers. He was that good.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,758

Post#28 » by chonestown » Wed May 1, 2024 5:07 pm

Y'all making me a Michael Irvin apologist. Shame.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#29 » by gbmb34 » Thu May 2, 2024 4:43 pm

Didn't love Morgan at the time but after getting Cooper and Bullard I think it's a terrific use of the 1st and 2nd round so good on them for reading the board well. Morgan may not be a LT (although he at least has potential to be) but I think he's at least a strong starter at one of the position 4 non-C positions for the rest of the decade.

Typical Gutey with reaches in the middle rounds which hasn't worked out great to date and just taking fallers in the 6th/7th where I think they again found value.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,055

Post#30 » by Matches Malone » Fri May 3, 2024 3:09 am

In the meantime, the Seahawks were discussing trade-back scenarios with the Pittsburgh Steelers (who picked 20th), Philadelphia Eagles (22nd), Minnesota Vikings (23rd), Green Bay Packers (25th) and Atlanta Falcons (43rd), according to sources. While the Seahawks did not try to trade up with Atlanta to take quarterback Michael Penix Jr. at No. 8, they did field a later trade offer from the Falcons, who were looking to get back into the first round after taking Penix. The Packers bowed out as Seattle's pick approached, which is why Schneider only referred to having four opportunities to trade back from 16.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by ReasonablySober » Fri May 3, 2024 3:22 am

Matches Malone wrote:
In the meantime, the Seahawks were discussing trade-back scenarios with the Pittsburgh Steelers (who picked 20th), Philadelphia Eagles (22nd), Minnesota Vikings (23rd), Green Bay Packers (25th) and Atlanta Falcons (43rd), according to sources. While the Seahawks did not try to trade up with Atlanta to take quarterback Michael Penix Jr. at No. 8, they did field a later trade offer from the Falcons, who were looking to get back into the first round after taking Penix. The Packers bowed out as Seattle's pick approached, which is why Schneider only referred to having four opportunities to trade back from 16.

Read on Twitter

Fuaga and Latu were the two to go before the Packers bowed out. Both would have made sense in a trade up.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,118

Post#32 » by MVP2110 » Fri May 3, 2024 3:23 am

Matches Malone wrote:

Read on Twitter

That would give some credence to the idea they were looking to move up for Fuaga who went two picks before
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,981

Post#33 » by Turk Nowitzki » Fri May 3, 2024 2:15 pm

Maybe this won't age well but if the move up was going to be for Fuaga then I'm happy we just stuck at #25 and took Morgan.

If it was for Latu I would've understood that more.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,055

Post#34 » by Matches Malone » Fri May 10, 2024 1:51 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,595

Post#35 » by Frank Nova » Sat May 11, 2024 7:40 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nagy was on LOP yesterday with Bukowski, he went into a little more detail than the tweet but obviously just reiterated what he’s saying here. He compared Pratt elevating the Tulane program the same way Brett did with Southern Miss back in the day. He also compared the 1-2 punch of Jacobs and Lloyd to the 1-2 punch of Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett who just so happen to be 2 of my all time favorite Packers. It was 1 of those feel good episodes of LOP that got me excited about next season.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis

Return to Green Bay Packers