ImageImage

Do we take the Colts for granted?

Moderator: Jake0890

Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,353

Do we take the Colts for granted? 

Post#1 » by Dunthreevy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:09 pm

I'm speaking about this forum specifically, but I think the same can be said for the average Colts fan. It seems like we just expect them to win a ton of games, and it doesn't really matter how they do it. Indianapolis is full of fair weather fans, that I'm fully expecting to turn on the team as soon as Peyton retires and we go through a rebuilding phase. Then on the forum here, there's obviously never any activity, and it can't be because there's nothing to talk about. I mean we're 14-0 for goodness sake! I know myself and a couple other members on here don't typically post because we know that we'll basically be speaking to ourselves (much like what this thread will inevitably turn into), but why is it that there is never any activity? I think it's honestly that the average Colts fan just doesn't really appreciate just how good our team really is, and to the extent that this year's team is really playing on a completely different level. Hell there have only been a few teams in the history of the NFL to ever post a 14-0 record, not to mention we just set the record for most consecutive regular season wins. All in all, this was just a short rant because I've been thinking about it recently, and because that's what the forum is for.
Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, it's bobsled time!
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Re: Do we take the Colts for granted? 

Post#2 » by Latrell » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:19 am

When RealGM first came out with the NHL/MLB/NFL forums there was more activity it seemed like...now its as if the novelty wore off a bit. Back then we had a gamethread every week and it would go to multiple pages sometimes...I'm not sure what happened.

Also there is definately more to talk about when a team is losing especially on these forums.
For example: I am a Raptors fan, last night they won in blowout fashion and there was only a 5 page post game thread, when the Raps lose the post game thread sometimes exceeds 20+ pages. Its definately a lot easier to be critical and negative.

Ive been tryin to recruit people to this forum but I'm having a hard time because theres a lack of Colts fans up where I live...Its mostly Bills fans up here.

As for your comment on Indy having fairweather fans; maybe its true after all the Pacers are having trouble drawing crowds in their current crappy state. I moved from Indiana before the Colts were a winning team and I don't really remember what the fanbase was like back then, I was very young back then.
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Dunthreevy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:47 am

Yeah the Pacers fans have turned their backs on the team almost completely. It's pretty sad. You'll hear people say it's because of the brawl but that's just a cop out. The players involved in the brawl have ALL been removed from the roster, and there's still not been a sellout crowd at Conseco the past 2 seasons unless Boston, LA, or Cleveland have been in town.

Colts fans around here rallied behind the team during the Harbaugh "Captain Comeback" days because it was the cool thing to do, and you just weren't a "fan" unless you had your "Let 'er rip!" Harbaugh t-shirt. Once that short stint of playoff ball was over and we went through the transition phase of 3-13 seasons, they all turned on the team again, then all of a sudden when Peyton, Edge, and Marvin established themselves everyone acted as if they didn't completely ignore the team for a couple seasons.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#4 » by Latrell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:45 am

Dunthreevy wrote:Yeah the Pacers fans have turned their backs on the team almost completely. It's pretty sad. You'll hear people say it's because of the brawl but that's just a cop out. The players involved in the brawl have ALL been removed from the roster, and there's still not been a sellout crowd at Conseco the past 2 seasons unless Boston, LA, or Cleveland have been in town.

Colts fans around here rallied behind the team during the Harbaugh "Captain Comeback" days because it was the cool thing to do, and you just weren't a "fan" unless you had your "Let 'er rip!" Harbaugh t-shirt. Once that short stint of playoff ball was over and we went through the transition phase of 3-13 seasons, they all turned on the team again, then all of a sudden when Peyton, Edge, and Marvin established themselves everyone acted as if they didn't completely ignore the team for a couple seasons.

That's how sports work though, when you're good people come out and pay attention, when you're not they lose interest. At least it puts pressure on management of teams to put a good product on the court/gridiron. Places like NY, Chicago , Toronto will always have a lot of fans because of how big the cities are so there isn't much incentive to really put a great team together because they will make money anyway.
Bleeding Blue
Head Coach
And1: 538

Post#5 » by Bleeding Blue » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:10 am

Dunthreevy is right, there is a ton of fairweather fans in Indiana. I hate talking to other teams fans because they automatically assume if you are a Colts fan then you must be a bandwagon fan. We are truly spoiled and it is going to be tuff when the team does hit the crapper one day, but I will still be a fan.

On a different note, the Colts are hoping Gonzo will play next Sunday.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009122 ... -in-season
"When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!"

- Bobby Knight
Dunthreevy
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Dunthreevy » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:57 pm

Bleeding Blue wrote:Dunthreevy is right, there is a ton of fairweather fans in Indiana. I hate talking to other teams fans because they automatically assume if you are a Colts fan then you must be a bandwagon fan. We are truly spoiled and it is going to be tuff when the team does hit the crapper one day, but I will still be a fan.

On a different note, the Colts are hoping Gonzo will play next Sunday.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2009122 ... -in-season

Nice to see Gonzo might get in some game action before the playoffs to knock some of the rust off. That puts up pretty deep at the WR position with the way that Garcon and Collie have progressed this season. I see lots of 4 receiver sets in our future with Addai, or even Dallas lining up in the backfield with Peyton.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#7 » by Miller4ever » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:13 pm

I don't care what other people think of me, whether I'm a bandwagoner or not. I love the Colts, through every playoff loss.

The fact that Addai get a bunch of receptions is great, and Dallas Clark is basically a slot receiver. We've been fine without Gonzo for 14 victories, so I think we'll be alright. I've been really happy with Pierre-Garcon's progress, and Austin Collie has been a wonderful surprise. Gonzo is going to prove himself all over again next season.
Bleeding Blue
Head Coach
And1: 538

Post#8 » by Bleeding Blue » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:06 am

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts have put receiver Anthony Gonzalez on injured reserve, ending his season.

Gonzalez sprained ligaments in his right knee in the season opener and later had arthroscopic surgery on the knee, delaying his return.

On Monday, team president Bill Polian said on his radio show that Indianapolis hoped to have Gonzalez practice this week so he could play in the final two games of the season in preparation for the playoffs. Gonzalez practiced Monday but sat out Wednesday, prompting Thursday's announcement.

Gonzalez was Indy's first-round draft pick in 2007 and was expected to fill in for franchise receiving leader Marvin Harrison, who was released in an offseason cost-cutting move.

The Colts (14-0) have wrapped up the AFC's top playoff seed.

Bummer :(
"When my time on earth is gone, and my activities here are passed, I want they bury me upside down, and my critics can kiss my ass!"

- Bobby Knight

Return to Indianapolis Colts