OT Tony Ugoh: #42

Moderator: Jake0890

PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

OT Tony Ugoh: #42 

Post#1 » by PR07 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:38 am

The Colts traded away their first-round draft pick in 2008 and a fourth-round pick in 2007 for the San Francisco 49ers' No. 42 pick to select Arkansas offensive tackle Tony Ugoh.

Make no mistake about it, the Colts snagged their LT of the future with this selection. Tarik Glenn contract expires at the end of 2007, and the Colts may not be willing to get in a top dollar bidding war for a LT that may soon be on the decline. I like Tarik and he's been a fixture on this o-line for many years, but it's time to start thinking about the future...and Ugoh is a tremendously gifted offensive lineman with a lot of athleticism.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,223

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:07 am

I hear there's discussion about whether he actually even projects out at LT. This pick troubles me a bit, especially trading the 1st rounder next year. I would've rather seen us trade up to get a guy we truly needed like a solid cover-2 LB that would step in immediately.
FreeRon
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#3 » by FreeRon » Tue May 1, 2007 2:23 am

The problem with that being there wasn't a LB that really fit that mold. Both Poz and Harris have been all over the board since January really, and there were evidently questions about Poz's speed. I was under the impression that he was one of the faster players in the draft, but I was supposedly misinformed. The only risk I've heard about Ugoh is that he paid more attention to track, which he obviously won't do now that he plays football professionally.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,223

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 1, 2007 6:24 pm

FreeRon wrote:The problem with that being there wasn't a LB that really fit that mold. Both Poz and Harris have been all over the board since January really, and there were evidently questions about Poz's speed. I was under the impression that he was one of the faster players in the draft, but I was supposedly misinformed. The only risk I've heard about Ugoh is that he paid more attention to track, which he obviously won't do now that he plays football professionally.

Oh, I'm not saying we should've taken a LB there at that spot, but moreso that we shouldn't have traded up to take a guy who might be a LT in the future, but doesn't really seem like he can or should play LT, especially when we give up a future 1st rounder for a current 2nd round pick. Sure, it's probably around a 10-15 pick difference, but still, trading that pick in addition to a 4th rounder didn't make sense. It would make much more since if there was a cover-2 LB available (Poz and Harris are probably not as effective in it) that could step in immediately. What we paid was for an immediate impact, and yet, the player we got won't come close to immediate impact, or probably an impact for 2-4 years.
pacerman06
Senior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by pacerman06 » Tue Jun 5, 2007 3:40 pm

I was mad that we traded a first round pick along with a 4th round pick to get a 2nd round pick. I don't understand why we also traded the 4th round pick because you think the first round pick would be enough.

Return to Indianapolis Colts