ImageImage

Joseph Addai..better than Edgerrin James when he was Colt?

Moderator: Jake0890

DarkoMilicic
Banned User
And1: 0

Joseph Addai..better than Edgerrin James when he was Colt? 

Post#1 » by DarkoMilicic » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:26 am

Yes or no...
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#2 » by PR07 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:00 am

Edge before his ACL tear? No. That Edgerrin probably would've went down as one of the Top 5 backs ever in my mind.

However, I think the post-ACL surgery James and young Joseph Addai are totally different backs, so it's difficult to compare. James is/was much more of a workhorse and power back who would use cuts and vision (not necessarily speed) as well as his lower body strength during his last couple of years as a Colt to go at a defense. Meanwhile, Addai uses more speed...less power than James (although he has some) as well as cutting and juking. I think Addai has much more big play ability than the post-ACL surgery Edge did, but to Edge's credit, I don't see Addai as the 30 carry per game wear down the defense workhorse that Edge could be.

I probably didn't answer your question, but it's not necessarily an easy question to answer. I think it just depends on what you are wanting out of your RB.
------------------------------

I will say though that I think Addai may be a better fit for the offense for the way things are. Peyton didn't utilize Edge enough sometimes. He wouldn't give him enough of the touches to wear down the defense. There were times where we'd slowly chip away at a defense using Edge, and Peyton would just break it off and try to get the big play from the passing game. Of course, that was a younger Manning, so things could certainly be different now. The big play ability of Joseph Addai may make this offense a bit more explosive, and that may better suit Manning and the offense.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,210
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#3 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Sep 6, 2007 1:05 am

^Good Assessment, I don't think Addai can ever be as good as Edge was as a younger player.... but not many are... I love Joe Addai, but Edge was just unreal.

I'll give one of my most famous quotes as a sports fan.

"HAHA, the Colts are STUPID, who the EFF is Edgerrin James, they left Ricky Williams for us!"

:nonono:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Grizzfan4liphe
Freshman

Post#4 » by Grizzfan4liphe » Fri Sep 7, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm not sure, I think this can be really debatable. It's really hard to see just how good an RB is by looking at his QB, both of these guys have had Peyton in that position and even Dominic Rhodes had 1000 yards as an undrafted rookie. I knew coming into last year that the Colts would not drop off due of the loss of Edge and that the Edge would drop off by going to the Cardinals. In the post ACL-tear era, he never seemed to have that break away speed, defenders would always catch up with him, while Addai has a nice combination of size and power, not to mention the best O-Line in the league paving the way. To answer your question though, I believe when all is said and done, Addai will have had the better career.
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by pacerfan » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:56 am

It seems to me Addai is certainly a shiftier runner. And, like Edge, he also looks like he will be able to catch the ball well coming out of the backfield. That one pass from Manning he hauled showed excellent hands and reactions.

Honestly, I don't know enough to really judge running backs, but I'll say this as a layman: Edge was one hell of a blocker, a skill that is underrated and not often mentioned. Addai probably has a long way to catch Edge in that regard. Otherwise, I enjoy watching Addai every bit as much as I did Edge. May the force be with both this year.
count55
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3

Post#6 » by count55 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:19 pm

Too early...The thing about Edge was that he was great right away, then was great again after recovering from his knee injury (in his last year as a Colt).

I don't think Addai will ever be as good as Edge at Edge's peak, but he has a shot at having a better career simply on the health issue.

I'll tell you one thing: the Colts have had a succession of really, really good-to-great backs in Faulk, James, and Addai.
I have no idea what you're talking about, and clearly, neither do you.
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by pacerfan » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:30 pm

count55 wrote:I'll tell you one thing: the Colts have had a succession of really, really good-to-great backs in Faulk, James, and Addai.

Really good point. The wonder is that the succession has taken place so smoothly.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by PR07 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:47 pm

Polian can draft RB's...he's drafted Thurman Thomas, Edge, and Addai if I'm not mistaken.
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#9 » by Latrell » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:17 am

pacerfan wrote:It seems to me Addai is certainly a shiftier runner. And, like Edge, he also looks like he will be able to catch the ball well coming out of the backfield. That one pass from Manning he hauled showed excellent hands and reactions.

Honestly, I don't know enough to really judge running backs, but I'll say this as a layman: Edge was one hell of a blocker, a skill that is underrated and not often mentioned. Addai probably has a long way to catch Edge in that regard. Otherwise, I enjoy watching Addai every bit as much as I did Edge. May the force be with both this year.

Addai is a great blocker too...He was known for his blocking coming out of LSU.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 197

Post#10 » by 23artest23 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:38 pm

Before the big injury, Edge was an absolute beast. There were not many RBs I wouldve took over Edge period. As for who I would take, Id rather have Addai than the post injury Edge. If Edge had never had the injury, we probably wouldnt know who Addai is ;)
ajizzle
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by ajizzle » Mon Oct 1, 2007 2:37 am

^Not so fast Artest... While Edge before the injury was utterly ridiculous, we already knew that we wouldn't be able to sign him to a big deal after those years he was franchised. We didn't/couldn't pay him the contract he got from Zona, let alone a contract that a fully healthy Edge would've demanded.

I said for years that w/ the receivers we have, we could jettison Edge and use a 2back system w/ youngsters who could run... (which is pretty much what we did l/y and have begun to initiate w/ K2 backing up Addai)...

Edge was on his way out one way or the other... It was a tad bittersweet not winning it all w/ the original trio of Marv, Edge, and Peyton.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by PR07 » Tue Oct 2, 2007 12:01 am

We very well could jettison Addai though in 6 or 7 years though too, who knows...and we may not be as fortunate to find a replacment as we were this time around. The fact is the year we took Addai was loaded with RB's, and it just so happened to work out that, that year was the offseason we let Edge walk. I highly doubt you're going to find a Joseph Addai at the #28 or #29 spot in the draft often. We lucked out.
ajizzle
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by ajizzle » Tue Oct 2, 2007 9:30 am

WE may never find one, but Mr. President does it every time... See Polian's pick of Thurman in the 2nd round. Remember where Terrell Davis was picked. Larry Johnson went just a couple picks highter than Addai. Frank Gore in the 3rd rd?

There's always someone out there, and Peyton completely changes the way teams play us. Even good defenses play there safeties 20 yards back, and then they backpedal at the snap on top of that. Also, our O-Line is ridiculous... When Kenton Keith and Matt Lawton (?) are moving down the field and ramming it down your throat, you know that we could be successful w/ just about anyone w/ some talent.
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by pacerfan » Tue Oct 2, 2007 3:38 pm

PacersRule07 wrote:I highly doubt you're going to find a Joseph Addai at the #28 or #29 spot in the draft often. We lucked out.

Speaking of lucking out, how sweet has the move to draft Tony Ugoh proven to be? Good gracious. Polian is mining gold every year.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by PR07 » Wed Oct 3, 2007 2:13 am

Yeah, Ugoh's been really impressive. He's an incredible athlete for his size, and I think he can be one of the premier tackles once he gets stronger. That's really his only weakness now besides inexperience. Lot of credit should be given to Howard Mudd though too.

You know you've done a hell of a job drafting when your worst pick of the last 5 years was Gilbert Gardner in Round 3. The Colts have found so many gems, it's incredible, and it's like when one player departs...they always have another guy who can step in and not lose a beat.

Don't even get me started on Antoine Bethea.... :nod:

While it is true that there are some RB sleepers that fall in a time from time to time and end up having impressive careers, if you think you're going to hit gold on that everytime, you're not putting yourself in the best position to succeed. Plus, how many of those guys are able to run, catch, and block like the Colts system requires? I think it's pretty darn lucky that the guy we drafted happened to be a former FB and WR during his high school and college playing days. I'm not so sure we'll be as fortunate next time around.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#16 » by Miller4ever » Mon Oct 8, 2007 7:52 pm

I really do think that RB success is AT LEAST 50% O-line success. Look at Edge in Arizona. Granted, he's older and worn down, but if staed with us, he would've rushed for more. LT's failing this year because their O-line isn't communicating the way it should. Our O-line let Keith get 100+ rushing, but individually Addai is better than Keith. Really, the O-line gets you the first 3 yards in any rush, then it's individual effort and skill after that.

Return to Indianapolis Colts