ImageImageImage

Free Agents That Could Sign With Us(and Signed)

heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Re: Free Agents That Could Sign With Us. 

Post#21 » by heat4life » Mon Mar 8, 2010 3:41 pm

Ryan Clark would be a nice signing as long as it is for like 3-4 years and not much money. Someone to hold the spot for a developing young player ( a la Will Allen). With Ferguson being suspended, it puts some pressure on the team to have a NT with experience ready for the season. I was hoping Soliai would break out but nothing. Jamal Williams is an option with experience and so is Shaun Rogers. We definitely need to draft a young NT to grow into the position.

At this point I see Miami trading back from 12 and going for an OLB (Kindle or Graham) with our first rounder unless McLain is there at 12. In the 2nd round I could see us drafting a NT (Cam Thomas) and a TE with out 3rd rounder (Jimmy Graham). With our 4th, Miami would probably draft a young Safety (Major Wright or Myron Rolle) and then double down at the end of the draft with more LB, CB and WR help.

A player I would also like on our team if either of the above are not available or if we trade down from our first rounder and acquire an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder in that move.

Demaryius Thomas 6'3 229lbs. I think this guy would be a 1st rounder if Georgia Tech didn't use the triple option (RB's heaven) as their bread and butter. The dude still caught 46 passes but for a whopping 1,154 yards and 8 TD's. That is 25.1 yards per catch!!!!! And trust me, most of them yards were after the catch and big gains. Check his longest catches for each game... LINK

The only reason why I see him dropping is because of his broken foot that kept him out of the Orange Bowl game against Iowa.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Scum Freezebag
Sixth Man
And1: 22

Post#22 » by Scum Freezebag » Mon Mar 8, 2010 4:49 pm

So what to do with Pat White?

Pennington re-signed, so that's four QBs on the roster. I imagine Thigpin can be cashed in for a draft pick (who knows, maybe as high as a 4th, which is a net profit of one full round from the 5th we originally paid) but I think we may get more bang for our buck by just keeping him.

White might be the odd man out.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#23 » by heat4life » Mon Mar 8, 2010 8:40 pm

Scum Freezebag wrote:So what to do with Pat White?

Pennington re-signed, so that's four QBs on the roster. I imagine Thigpin can be cashed in for a draft pick (who knows, maybe as high as a 4th, which is a net profit of one full round from the 5th we originally paid) but I think we may get more bang for our buck by just keeping him.

White might be the odd man out.

I am not sure we could get much for Pat White if anything at all. Thigpen is a commodity right now and I agree with you in that we could get a higher pick than the 5th we spent on him last season. Several teams are looking for a QB and IMO, Thigpen could be full-time starting material in a year or two. I would hate to trade that type of talent considering that Chad Henne still needs to prove himself to be the long term solution.

I think we end up keeping Pat White because we have to and trading Thigpen during summer camp if Pennington proves to be healthy or by the trading deadline the latest.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,626

Post#24 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Mar 9, 2010 12:47 pm

I think Pat White is a keeper. I think he needs a couple seasons before we go throwing him out the door for not being the next Mike Vick.
We did not get Ryan Clark. I was dissapointed at first but this would have only been a stop gap signing at safety and i'd rather see us sign a relatively young safety or draft one so it's really no big deal that we didn't get him. On top of that had we signed Clark the expectations for this team would have been almost too high. All of a sudden people would be saying we are super bowl contenders, bla bla bla... I'd rather we fly under the radar as low as possible going into this season. The Dansby signing was nice.... I mean SWEET! Now it's time to chill.
Let the Jets spend along with some of these other teams. If we can land another free agent pickup that can be a "steal" then we are doing great. Otherwise I say keep building through the draft because that is where it's at. Track records show that a lot of teams that spend wildly in free agency don't always make a great team. I believe we are doing the right thing by just signing Dansby so far. Obviously we would all love Vince Wilfork or Nick Collins here as well but If we get into the mix with another big name player the expectations will rise as they should, but the failure rate is as equally possible.
Scum Freezebag
Sixth Man
And1: 22

Post#25 » by Scum Freezebag » Tue Mar 9, 2010 5:02 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I think Pat White is a keeper. I think he needs a couple seasons before we go throwing him out the door for not being the next Mike Vick.

I was excited when we first drafted him, and I'm still hoping he pans out, but I think the issue with White becomes a numbers game. Where do we put him? And whose roster spot does he take?

If we keep him at QB, that means we'll basically have four players sharing a three-player job.

If we trade Thigpin, our only back-ups are a guy with a surgically repaired shoulder and another guy who's never completed a pass in the pros.

If we move him to WR/KR/PR (ignoring that he's not familiar with any of these positions), that means one of our other WRs is getting the axe...and that's before we even sign or draft anyone.

And if we keep him on as a jack-of-all-trades utility player, some other position is losing valuable depth.

I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure they'll figure out a way to crunch the numbers and make some room. But I just think it's interesting how his versatility, what I really liked about him in the first place, may end up being his downfall -- he doesn't fit anywhere.

We did not get Ryan Clark.

Yeah, I'm not too bummed about that either. All reports said that Clark was a safety that hit hard but lacked coverage skills...which sounded eerily similar to what everyone said about Gibril Wilson this time last year. I want a FS that's fluid, than can move and cover a lot of ground. I want someone more fleet of foot.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#26 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Tue Mar 9, 2010 10:40 pm

Clark wasn't bad in coverage past year at all. He had a few picks and the completion percentage against him in coverage was rather low. He would have been a good player for us but we really don't need another over 30 vet back there. Bell is our leader in the secondary and lets just keep it at that. Myron Rolle people. If we can land him in the later rounds it will be a nice pickup.
Lconte17
Senior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Lconte17 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm

With Clark gone, I'd take a look at Brodney Pool. who i would of probably taken over Antrel Rolle to begin with. But id still do what it takes to draft Myron Rolle. id also take Danieal Manning since it would be budget friendly

If we arent sure we can get Dez Bryant or trade up to get him. I'd take a hard look at Brandon Marshall and try to offer a 2nd round pick for him. I'd also be sure to sign Bess again

If we arent gonna draft Bryant, and think well pass on McClain, i say offer 4 years to a guy like Kirk Morrison [cost us 3rd pick which is extremely fair IMO], although i like Derrick Johnson just as much as i liked Dansby
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,051

Post#28 » by GameTime_3 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Antonio Bryant signs w/ Bengals. Dez or Bust!!!
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat

Post#29 » by heat4life » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:39 pm

I like Demaryius Thomas better at WR. He seems to fit the "Parcells mold". Big, strong, physical and made tons of big plays in college even though he was on a system where they ran the ball 80% of the time (triple option).

I am not crazy about Dez Bryant. He is talented but too much of a risk, especially with pick # 12. I think we could get a better impact player at #12.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#30 » by Flash3 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:41 am

What about the guy from St Louis, Otogwe?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#31 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:26 am

Is there a Dolphins board or forum elsewhere where rumors and updates are given daily that anyone knows about? Or does anyone here have any inside info? If so please share.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:52 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:Is there a Dolphins board or forum elsewhere where rumors and updates are given daily that anyone knows about? Or does anyone here have any inside info? If so please share.

Their are couple of sites. If you google Fins and Heaven in without the "And" you may find what your looking for :wink:. But please keep posting here, we need to build up this board so that we only have to come on Realgm for Basketball and Football news.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#33 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:02 pm

I agree. The Dolphin board is dead as can be sometimes.
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by GameTime_3 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:29 pm

It seems like Miami is going into the draft with holes @ FS,NT,TE,WR. I would love to see Dez Bryant, Cody, Jimmy Graham.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Flash3 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:45 pm

^if we're taking Dez Bryant, why not trade the pick to Denver for Brandon Marshall who is a SURE thing. Where as with Bryant you're hoping he can be as good as Bryant?
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by GameTime_3 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:56 pm

Flash3 wrote:^if we're taking Dez Bryant, why not trade the pick to Denver for Brandon Marshall who is a SURE thing. Where as with Bryant you're hoping he can be as good as Bryant?

Marshall is a proven "Diva", Dez is not. I would do the trade but Parcells and Co. won't.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM

Post#37 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:28 pm

I personally would rather us build from the draft. Dez Bryant I think is a can't miss. He's also not a diva primadonna the way Marshall is but the potential is there given his actions in college. On the other he may just be a guy that made a mistake in college and will be fine in the NFL. Either way he is the best reciever in this draft and if we get him he will be the best playmaker we have had on this team since I have been watching the Dolphins and that dates back to 1988.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Flash3 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:33 am

GameTime_3 wrote:
Flash3 wrote:^if we're taking Dez Bryant, why not trade the pick to Denver for Brandon Marshall who is a SURE thing. Where as with Bryant you're hoping he can be as good as Bryant?

Marshall is a proven "Diva", Dez is not. I would do the trade but Parcells and Co. won't.

A diva because he wants to get paid? All these good WRs save for maybe a very very select few are "divas." -- The WR position is a diva position.
Lconte17
Senior
And1: 0

Post#39 » by Lconte17 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:17 pm

I agree with above comment. MOST WR are diva's. hell ill even say Boldin was kind of a diva with his antics about trade and extension... Crabtree with his insanely long hold out. TO, well we know about TO. Chad Johnson, wanted to be a Fin last year. He pulled the diva card way to often... Randy Moss? The few stud WR in the league that i can recall not throwing out the diva card would be Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, and Wes Welker [who we once had].

I would gladly take either Bryant or Marshall. I personally love Bryants ability, he just reminds me of a mix between Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson... which i wouulllld kill to have, but if he isnt gonna be at 12, i'd take Marshall in trade
GameTime_3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by GameTime_3 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:52 am

I consider this a great signing. More O-Line depth! Incognito plays hard and sometimes it gets the best of him, if the can tone it down a bit, this could be a great signing.

Guard Richie Incognito, who arrived for his visit in South Florida on Monday, agreed to a one-year deal worth just over $1 million. It is considered a bargain rate for a player with a controversial past that led to his departure from St. Louis last year.

Asked why his emotions have often gotten the best of him during games, Incognito said it's something he needs to change.
``There's a fine line, especially when you play offensive line,'' he said. ``You're coached to play through the whistle, and I've always been toeing that line. Always over and bac

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/17/1 ... ichie.html

Return to Miami Dolphins