ImageImageImage

Miami Dolphins Thread

Mars
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,174

Re: Miami Dolphins/Marlins Thread 

Post#81 » by Mars » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:02 pm

EthanJSkolnick
Juwan Howard will throw out the first pitch of tonight's Marlins game. After which, the Marlins will hire him to close.
GUTS™
ifrosty13
Head Coach
And1: 1,362

Post#82 » by ifrosty13 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:54 pm

I would be pissed as a marlins fan if they trade Reyes half a season after they give him that contract.
DrVanNostrand
Veteran
And1: 17

Post#83 » by DrVanNostrand » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:16 am

Mars wrote:
EthanJSkolnick
Juwan Howard will throw out the first pitch of tonight's Marlins game. After which, the Marlins will hire him to close.

Limited minutes and it's a good move for them. Wait whut?
Banned User
And1: 536

Post#84 » by 420 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:24 am

ifrosty13 wrote:I would be pissed as a marlins fan if they trade Reyes half a season after they give him that contract.
I'd be glad if they did trade him. I never liked Reyes, signing a Mets player is like signing a Knicks player, IMO. And no Heat fan in their right mind would covet a guy who played for the Knicks.

DefenseWins wrote:
420 wrote:Has there ever been a team that spent a lot of money in the offseason to put a contender together and ended up missing the playoffs?

The Marlins are a joke (I say this as a big fan).

Sigh.... the name hasn't changed. Marlins have always been like this. Only when good ole Jack came, this team was amazing. I feel like they just need more time. I was hoping to ATLEAST make the playoffs but it does seem unlikely, especially with Stanton out.

We are 6 back in the wildcard I think.

We can still make it but... we'd have to go on a long ass winning streak.

Also Boni was injured earlier too. I felt like that impacted us too. He was stealing everything then BAM! injured.

Only Philly right now is in our boat, even worse. Their payroll is like 60mil more than ours. But injuries have really hurt them. Heck, they even got knocked out in the 1st round last year.

Heath Bell has been the down fall of this whole thing though. We signed him to close and he can't do it on a consistent basis. Good team o n paper... they need more time I guess... developing lol.
I feel ya, homey. It sucks being a Marlins fan right now. :(
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,554

Post#85 » by DefenseWins » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:04 am

I can't believe we traded Infante and Anibal. I haven't followed the team closely as I should but I really liked Infante. He was reliable man.

I'll always remember Anibal's no hitter against the Diamondbacks :(.......

TYPICAL MARLINS. When things go wrong they just shake things up so fast. Infante and Anibal couldn't have been the problems... ugh.

We just had a huge off season and we do a trade which looks like some sort of rebuilding thing lol.
Slot Machine
Head Coach
And1: 4,566

Post#86 » by Slot Machine » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:18 am

This whole Hanley saga was so easy to predict. Everybody knew he would have problems with changing positions, it was only a matter of when he became too toxic for the rest of the club. This season has been a bitter disappointment.
The Bunk wrote:God I hate this fraudulent clown.

I've never wanted to punch someone in the face so badly. Really hoping to run into him at a game one day. I won't hesitate.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by DefenseWins » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:20 am

Wait.... because Infante is gone, Hanley gets 2nd base? IS THIS WHAT HAPPENED?!
Slot Machine
Head Coach
And1: 4,566

Post#88 » by Slot Machine » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:27 am

I was talking about Hanley playing 3rd.
Banned User

Post#89 » by 420 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:57 am

Marlins trade Hanley Ramirez
The Dodgers made one of the most significant and stunning trades in the history of their franchise late Tuesday, acquiring three-time All-Star Hanley Ramirez from the Miami Marlins, according to a person familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the deal hasn’t been formally announced.

In exchange for Ramirez and left-handed reliever Randy Choate, the Dodgers sent rookie starting pitcher Nathan Eovaldi and minor league pitcher Scott McGough to the Marlins.

Sad day for Marlins fans everywhere. Just another reminder that we're still the unofficial farm system for the rest of the MLB.

Nothing has changed.

I think the worst part is that no FA or player will want to go, nor stay, with the Marlins. It'll always be the elephant in the room that our star players will just coast through the season because they'll know they'll always be traded to a better organization that puts their team in a position to win.
heat4life
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 6,258

Post#90 » by heat4life » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Blah. Hanley has been hittign .245 since the beginning of 2011 season adding more pounds and distractions than HR and RBI's. The kid is SUPER talented and could've been one of the greats but his head is just not there. Same as Michael Beasley.

it sucks because you fall in love with their talent and possibilities but then their personalities get in the way. He is definitely not a franchise player. Maybe he'll do better in LA now that he has veterans who own the clubhouse. Here? there was no other way. He was supposed to be the leader and he failed.

We got barely anything for him and that is the part that sticks but I am not bitter that he is gone. Now let's see what the Marlins do with those $15 mil per year this off-season. IMO, that will be more telling on if this trade was a success or not.
ROAD TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by DefenseWins » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:09 pm

wow, I'm done with this season.

When things go wrong, we trade away everyone including our stars. Hanley was a big ass baby but he was the face of the Marlins.

Now we have Stanton left.... if this dude is traded..... ugh..........

I heard it's to free up money to try again next year. It's not a bad idea I guess.

Thank god I got a Stanton shirt because this dude is now the face of our franchise.

Hanley was being a diva and not producing as well as he should, but when motivated he can great.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,107

Post#92 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:47 pm

heat4life wrote:Blah. Hanley has been hittign .245 since the beginning of 2011 season adding more pounds and distractions than HR and RBI's. The kid is SUPER talented and could've been one of the greats but his head is just not there. Same as Michael Beasley.

it sucks because you fall in love with their talent and possibilities but then their personalities get in the way. He is definitely not a franchise player. Maybe he'll do better in LA now that he has veterans who own the clubhouse. Here? there was no other way. He was supposed to be the leader and he failed.

We got barely anything for him and that is the part that sticks but I am not bitter that he is gone. Now let's see what the Marlins do with those $15 mil per year this off-season. IMO, that will be more telling on if this trade was a success or not.

Agreed.

Blowing up the 03 and 97 teams hurt a lot more because we lost players that were still good, both on the field and in the clubhouse.

This team, this season... never have I seen a Marlins team that was harder to root for. Hanley can go, I don't really care. Trading Cabrera hurt a lot more than Hanley because he was always the better natural talent imo.
LoveMyHeat
Rookie
And1: 1,011

Post#93 » by LoveMyHeat » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:11 pm

**** Hanley. He's a huge baby and isn't the same player he once was. Nice of LA to eat up his entire contract, I doubt any other team was willing to do that.

I wish ESPN would stop reporting this as a "fire sale." I understand our reputation, but we weren't winning **** with Hanley. I hope we go hard after David Wright next year. Wright + Reyes reunion! :lol:

That all being said, if we trade Stanton......cya later Marlins
Banned User

Post#94 » by 420 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:17 pm

It's not that we traded Hanley that matters; it's the cycle of us trading away our talent and watching them play great later on that sucks. It happens too often and I don't know about y'all, but I see it happening again.

People here already brought up Miguel Cabrera and guess what: the same way we felt about Hanley now is the same way a lot of people (including myself) felt about Cabrera. He was under-performing at the time, too, and didn't even give a **** whether the team won or not. He even got into scuffle with teammates, if I'm not mistaken. The Marlins and fans had enough and everyone wanted to see him traded.

Well, I think we can all agree that Detroit is very thankful for the big favor the Marlins did for them by trading Cabrera away.

It just sucks knowing that this joke of us being the MLB's unofficial farm system has yet to change. No player will ever want to take the Marlins seriously. Good luck trying to change player's perceptions about our team and bringing a winning culture to this franchise.

Trust me when I say this: I'm just as disgusted with Hanley as everyone else. But letting a star player go for peanuts? That sounds all too familiar with this franchise.
Banned User

Post#95 » by 420 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:28 pm

If the Marlins were a winning organization, everyone would confidently say that the Marlins did the right thing.

But because the Marlins are the same losers that haven't changed, it's our fault for another season of missing the playoffs under Loria, Samson, and Beinfest, then subsequently trading away our best assets for peanuts.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#96 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:30 pm

Cabrera and Hanley are totally different situations.

Cabrera was considered a minor disruption in the clubhouse but was still performing fantastically on the field, his last season with us he went .320/34/119 with an OPS of .965, he only got criticized because that team underperformed but it wasn't his fault at all.

Hanley has been in a consistent downward trend since 2010, and has been a mediocre player the last 2 seasons, being paid like a superstar.

Barry Bonds was a clubhouse cancer but he always produced, so did Miggy. Hanley just plain sucks right now.

Trading Anibal kinda hurts but I've never been that enamored with him, the bottom line is this team has been built the wrong way entirely the last 5 years or so, we need to get back to collecting top of the line pitching prospects, that's what made us consistently good even with having to always gut the team throughout the 2000's.

There is a key difference between trading players because your team is being cheap (Miguel trade, Becket trade among others) and trading players because they are vastly underperforming relative to what they're being paid (Hanley).
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by DefenseWins » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:38 pm

No doubt trading Cabrera hurt more.

Hanley at one point was phenomenal as our best player. But then he got paid.... and he started to suck.

But look at freakin' Cabrera now. I know he's fat right now but he is a monster and one of the best sluggers out there. Just seeing him grow and just knowing what could have been, does hurt.

I'm not sad about Hanley, just shocked they traded him (thought he was a front office fav). NOW STANTON. That's like the MIggy situation if he gets traded. This dude is a monster, and the talent is there. It's funny I'm wearing my Marlins jersey right now with Stanton on the back. I love that he's the face of the franchise now (sucks he's injured).

But whatever, here is to trading away players for nothing and another season wasted! Atleast people can now go to the stadium as a leisure activity! I wouldn't be surprised if the attendance goes down. Now people will just go for the pool/get drunk/ enjoy the scenery.

Thank god for the Heat right now. I was a Marlins fan first before a Heat fan when I was younger. It's like we had another firesale without winning...
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM

Post#98 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:43 pm

The thing is, this was a dysfunctional team from the beginning. It was poorly constructed, and now we're reaping what we sowed. We are the New York Mets right now, just randomly spending money and hoping to buy wins.

1997 worked because Dombrowski is a fantastic GM. 2003 worked because Beinfest is a very good GM that was allowed to work with a roster made up of great players picked up in trades by Dombrowski.

But this time, this roster, it was built all wrong, and we need to get back to emphasizing pitching first, second and third.
Banned User

Post#99 » by 420 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Good post, Tim_Hardaway.

And yes, Hanley was really underperforming, but I think we will have to wait to judge him after he's had a chance to play for the Dodgers.

If he plays much better or great, then it will be the same ol' story where star players on the Marlins leave for another team and go on to perform better on their new team.
DefenseWins
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by DefenseWins » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:53 pm

lol, I remember being so excited before the season started. I thought our offense would be fantastic. Proved to be the complete opposite.

Boni, Reyes, Infante then you'd have to answer to Hanley, Stanton, LoMo. Pitching was average.

Well... til next year.

I'll watch the Dodgers in the playoffs just to see how Hanley does. Reminds me when we traded Cody Ross to the Giants and he got his ring lol. He was good for them in the playoffs too I believe.

Return to Miami Dolphins